Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wichita Classic #227635 03/10/14 03:15 PM
D
doug747 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Since no one else posted anything, I will.

Morning session was finished by a little after 12 Noon, after starting right at 8am.

Afternoon session was finished well before 5:30, after starting at 1:00, as we were finished loading mats, taking down clocks, etc. and I was driving home at 6:30. If we don't add any kids, we can move the start time for the afternoon session up an hour, or at least 30 minutes, and get out sooner.

Just so you keep this in the back of your mind for next year, I believe the Wichita Classic is thinking about doing a novice tourney at the same time next year, like Hays does with their "B" brackets. Nothing confirmed, but the facility can easily handle more kids. We could keep our start times the same, and still be done with both sessions by 5:30-6:00.

Split session tourney made it a very short day for those parents with kids in only one session. Zero down time on the mats, as we moved matches as soon as one mat was finished.

EVERYONE wrestled on full mats. And plenty of room on the floor, even though they did a good job of keeping the floor clear of anyone without an armband.

Great officials.

Only flubbadub was I think whoever ordered the hospitality room food confused Saturday with Fridays in Lent. The tuna sandwiches were good, but you won't catch me eating a "vegetarian" sandwich.....;)

Great awards. Great competition. Lots of Oklahoma kids showed up. No gate fee. Sure you couldn't bring food in, but plenty of parents went to the parking lot to eat lunch.....

And Hartman is a great facility to watch Wrestling in.......

I wish Wichita Classic and Western KS CLassic were able to find a way to be on different weekends, so we weren't competing against each other.

Great job to Steven Foster running the show.

Last edited by doug747; 03/10/14 03:22 PM.
Re: Wichita Classic [Re: doug747] #227644 03/10/14 04:09 PM
J
Joe Knecht Offline
J
I am surprised no one had mentioned it too so thanks Doug though I figured you for a tofu kind of guy. wink

I wasn't able to attend as I was at the NAIA's but heard (my wife took my kids) it was good all the way around. Split format, Facility, Competition, Mats & Awards. She was pleased by the no gate fee.

Sounds like a great one to me. Thanks to all involved for putting on the Classic to give the parents/fans and wrestlers a great experience.

Joe Knecht
(913) 709-9875
Re: Wichita Classic [Re: Joe Knecht] #227662 03/10/14 09:45 PM
S
SFoster Offline
S
Thank You
We would like to take some time to recognize the people who made the Park City-Wichita Classic an awesome event this season while at the same time highlight some of the tournament.
The following clubs provided mats, table workers, and setup the arena: Augusta, Brawlers, Carroll Jr., Team Lightning, MAC, and Wichita Blue Knights. I had to have surgery recently and each of the clubs stepped up their game to help out with the tournament. We want to take the time to give special recognition to Ed and Jenny Edison, as well as Doug Eck.

Photos from tournament

Park City Classic 2014 Photos

Recognition
Outstanding Wrestlers
Each year there always seems to be debate about the right method to recognize the Outstanding Wrestler for each tournament. Our tournament has traditionally recognized this person as being the wrestler with the most pins in the least amount of time, while at the same time earning the championship.

6 Under: Quintin Harding Parsons Champion 58-64 (3 Pins 1:58)
8 Under: Michael Johnson Blue Team XTreme Champion 43-46 (4 Pins 1:50)
10 Under: Ethan Kremer Legacy Wrestling Champion 130 (3 Pins 1:42)
12 Under: Anthony Delgado Emporia Champion 140 (5 Pins 5:16)
14 Under: Zane Coleman Oklahoma Wrestling Academy Champion 130 (4 Pins 2:47)
High School: Lucas Lovvern JCWC Champion 145 (3 Pins 6:26)
Girls: Jordyn Knecht Paola Champion (4 Pins 4:28)

Outstanding Team Awards
The method for determining the Outstanding Team was based on placement only. A wrestler who placed 1st in a 16 man bracket earned more points for their team than a wrestler who earned 1st in a 2 Person Round Robin. We elected to award only one team trophy per team. We are considering changing this process for next year’s tournament.

6 Under: Catoosa
8 Under: Blue Team XTreme
10 Under: Maize
12 Under: Oklahoma Wrestling Academy
14 Under: Kansas Young Guns
High School: Augusta

Highlights of Tournament
Our team put our heads together and determined how we could get 11 Full Size Wrestling Surfaces into Hartman Arena. Every match of the day was completed on a Full Size Surface. This allowed us the ability to move matches to any surface we needed to as a mat finished up each session.

Morning Session
The tournament ran very efficiently with seven of the mats finishing prior to noon. Our team immediately began moving matches to open surfaces without any issues. The last match of the morning session completed about 12:30.

Afternoon Session
The afternoon session started on time at 1:00 pm with seven of the surfaces finished prior to 5:00 pm and our team immediately began moving matches to open surfaces. The last match of the day finished about 5:30 p.m.

(Thank You Lane Foster)

Brackets
Every Championship bracket was printed in color on 13x19 card stock paper very efficiently at the conclusion of each bracket. I think our team had most brackets printed and waiting for the wrestlers rather than the wrestlers waiting for the brackets and awards.
(Thank you Mrs. Chenowith and Mrs. Engel)

Crowd Control
The team constructed a barrier around the mat surfaces and limited access to the floor from two points. I believe the team did a great job of limiting only banded workers and coaches to the wrestling floor.

Referees
We want to recognize Bill Little and Steve Herman for putting together a great team of officials. Their team did a great job on the mat. We did not have a single person come to the head table to complain about officiating.

Awards
The Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission did a great job with our awards companies selecting, designing and developing new awards. Each team champion received an Eagle (in color) measuring approximately 20’ tall on a mounted base. The Outstanding Wrestlers received an Eagle (in color) mounted on a base of approximately 16’ tall. The Individual bracket winners received an Eagle (in color) mounted on bases approximately 14’ tall. The 2nd- 4th place awards winners received a customized medal with an eagle and the US flag on it. (Thank You Bob Hanson and Brian Hargrove)

As with any tournament there are always room for improvement and we are always interested in hearing positive ideas that will help improve the tournament. If you have ideas on how we could improve the tournament please feel free to email me and we will take your idea into consideration.

If we have missed to thank anyone we apologize sincerely.

Regards
Steven Foster
Steven.foster31@yahoo.com

Re: Wichita Classic [Re: SFoster] #227663 03/10/14 10:04 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
It was good all in all.

The best decision was when Doug and I decided to put chairs at matside for the coaches.

At first we didn't think anyone would even sit in them and by the end of the morning session coaches were fighting over them.

Steve and Lane did a great job moving matches and I thought the table workers were some of the most experienced group I have seen at an events. Table 3 was exceptional smile

Great job everyone and thanks for letting us be a part of it!

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Wichita Classic [Re: Teamroper] #227668 03/10/14 10:24 PM
S
SFoster Offline
S
I wanted one of those seats as well

Re: Wichita Classic [Re: SFoster] #227671 03/10/14 11:14 PM
T
tryingtobesilent Offline
T
I can honestly say that this was the smoothest run tournament we have been to this year. they did a great job of keeping all the extra people off the floor, I was starting to believe it was impossible to do. we will definitely keep coming back!

Re: Wichita Classic [Re: tryingtobesilent] #227686 03/11/14 12:21 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
yes. the chairs in the corners was awesome. i coached all day long and only got up once in my sons finals match to yell at him. i was pretty darn proud of myself. so hopefully all tournaments next year even the smaller ones will have chairs. for one it helps the ones in the stands see the matches. two, it also keeps coaches like me pretty calm for the most part.

Scott Bockover
Re: Wichita Classic [Re: bockman] #227713 03/11/14 01:53 AM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Originally Posted By: bockman
yes. the chairs in the corners was awesome. i coached all day long and only got up once in my sons finals match to yell at him. i was pretty darn proud of myself. so hopefully all tournaments next year even the smaller ones will have chairs. for one it helps the ones in the stands see the matches. two, it also keeps coaches like me pretty calm for the most part.

It was really my idea Doug kind of bandwagoned with me....lol

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Wichita Classic [Re: Teamroper] #227826 03/11/14 04:54 PM
S
SFoster Offline
S
I wanted to also mention that we had our largest turnout for girls only brackets.

Re: Wichita Classic [Re: doug747] #227878 03/12/14 02:22 AM
T
TandT Offline
T
Absolutely the BEST ran tourney of the year. Full mats, floor was free and clear of moms and dads screaming and taping at the same time, and awards were ready before I could get my sons shoes off. The eagle and the medals were very nice as well. Def be back next year.

Re: Wichita Classic [Re: TandT] #228085 03/13/14 06:23 PM
D
DMoore Offline
D
Great Tournament - Thank you for including a Girls Division - Full mats, they did a great job of keeping all the extra people off the floor, and awards were ready ASAP. The eagle and printed brackets were great. We will return next year.

Angel Moore

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 108 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)