Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Grand State substitute... #228364 03/18/14 04:16 AM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
A group of us have decided to invest some energy in a new opportunity for 2015. Nothing has been firmed yet but the ideas are being brainstormed here and now. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated:

The weekend after KSHSAA state tournaments there will be a tournament for the HS division only. ALL HIGH SCHOOL wrestlers (Freshmen - Seniors), Kansas residents, any eighth graders not eligible for 14U.

NFHSAA weight classes plus a five pound allowance.

Walk ups welcome. Registration and scales will close at 10pm on Friday night.

A central Kansas location.

To encourage a Grand State flavor, registration $41, $31 if you compete at the weight you wrestled in a KSHSAA state tournament. ($1 will go to the FHSU Bob Smith Wrestling Endowment or Kansas College Wrestling Fund)

Admission will be charged at the door.

Proposed name: The Sonic ALL CLASS Sunflower Showdown!

Awards...CHAMPION - $25 Sonic Gift Card, Custom Medal, Custom Bracket, champion hoodie, and gear bag. 2nd $20 Sonic Gift Card, Custom Medal and shorts/t-shirt set, 3rd $15 Sonic Gift Card and t-shirt, Custom medal, and 4th-6th $5 gift card, and stock, custom labeled medals.

College out of bounds and riding time will be utilized.

Trackwrestling

If entry numbers are such that the tournament can be wrestled in one day we will adjust and make this happen.

True second

Top two invited to the RMN Event in Denver, CO

Seeding will be based on ALL CLASS rankings. The top 10 will be seeded in every bracket by Renegade's rankings.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Cokeley] #228367 03/18/14 08:52 AM
Beeson Offline
Sign us up. Love the idea of using college rules to continue wrestling out of bounds. Not sure I like the idea of riding time, just because the kids haven't used it all year and will not be used to it. I can see the potential for stalling, but if you get a good officiating crew this should iron itself out.

This is definitely a step in the right direction. I can't see one reason for a High School wrestler to not want to attend this event.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Beeson] #228370 03/18/14 10:33 AM
Beeson Offline
One question. Using the 120 weight class as an example. The wrestlers have to make 122 at the State Tournament. Do they get five pounds and have to make 127 or 125? My suggestion would be 125.

Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Beeson] #228371 03/18/14 11:55 AM
J
Just Wondering Offline
J
Great idea.
1. Offer a cut rate for seniors
2. Recognize state placers in a parade of champions before
3. If a 2 day tournament could you do a clinic for kids with a fee and free admission
4. Can highschool coaches be involved with kids? If so offer cut rate for bring more kids from your team.
5. Can you some how involve college coachs for recruiting. Meaning get commitments from coachs that will attend.

Last edited by Just Wondering; 03/18/14 01:26 PM.

Bob Burnett
Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Just Wondering] #228374 03/18/14 12:27 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
USA Wrestling Sanctioned? USA Wrestling Cards? How does the Insurance work?

Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: smokeycabin] #228379 03/18/14 01:28 PM
E
elid2 Offline
E
Sounds pretty good so far!

Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: elid2] #228382 03/18/14 01:36 PM
Beeson Offline
I hate Parade of Champions, but if it will generate some interest I can stomach it. :P

Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Beeson] #228386 03/18/14 02:53 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Yeah, I can do without the Parade of Champions also . . . LETS JUST RUMBLE!!!

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Dean Welsh] #228391 03/18/14 03:46 PM
J
Just Wondering Offline
J
Just remember. Events like this need people in the seats or its 1 year and done. Mom, Dad, Grandma and Grandpa love to show up to see Johnny on display.

What else can be done to increase the casual fan to show up and support?

Bob Burnett
Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Just Wondering] #228392 03/18/14 04:27 PM
P
Publius Offline
P
Pick a weekend that doesn't coincide with NAIA National Championships. I believe the 2015 NAIA tournament will be held in KS.

Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Beeson] #228430 03/19/14 02:22 AM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Beeson
One question. Using the 120 weight class as an example. The wrestlers have to make 122 at the State Tournament. Do they get five pounds and have to make 127 or 125? My suggestion would be 125.

106-111
112-117
120-125
126-131
132-137
138-143
145-150
152-157
160-165
170-175
182-187
195-200
220-225
285-290

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Just Wondering] #228431 03/19/14 02:26 AM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Just Wondering
Great idea.
1. Offer a cut rate for seniors - Admission covers security & rent. Entry fees to cover awards & officials. I will keep it as inexpensive as possible.

2. Recognize state placers in a parade of champions before

3. If a 2 day tournament could you do a clinic for kids with a fee and free admission - Nice idea!

4. Can highschool coaches be involved with kids? If so offer cut rate for bring more kids from your team. They can if you can get your ad's and coaches to back coach contact after state. Otherwise KSHSAA restrictions will not allow coaching unless you are a senior. I would suggest coachers team up and cross coach athletes.

5. Can you some how involve college coachs for recruiting. Meaning get commitments from coachs that will attend. You know I will push this as much as possible.

Last edited by Cokeley; 03/19/14 04:03 PM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: smokeycabin] #228432 03/19/14 02:31 AM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: smokeycabin
USA Wrestling Sanctioned? USA Wrestling Cards? How does the Insurance work?

Is Kansas a USA wrestling state? Heck yes! We will sanction as such and require USA participation cards. Hopefully most of these guys will have them from their teams taking advantage of the USA high school purchase program if it is offered again next year. We will accommodate HS coaches to be in the corner but it is my hope that we can go on a big push to get ALL KSHSAA wrestling coaches bronze certified so we won't have to get creative.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Cokeley] #228436 03/19/14 09:34 AM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Will:

You are asking for feedback and although I no longer have anyone actively wrestling I guess I am still interested enough to be actively supporting the Kansas College Wrestling Fund and to still occasionally be getting on to this forum so I am going to give you some feedback.

First in general I really like the idea of this type of Grand State tournament. If accepted by the Kansas wrestling community I think it could be as close as we could expect to the Grand State concept. I think it is innovative and good you are trying to plan such a tournament. Here are a couple of questions I have though.

I am not sure why you are setting up an extra $10 registration entry difference for those who do not wrestle at their KSHSAA weight. It seems like you have set weights with a reasonable five pound weight allowances set up so why the extra $10?

I am not sure if high school coaches are allowed by the Kansas State High School State Association to coach underclassmen in a post season event like this. I really do not know but I thought maybe they might be restricted from doing so. Do you know for sure if they are allowed to?

You state on the donation part that it will go to Fort Hays State University Bob Smith Wrestling Endowment or the Kansas College Wrestling Fund. Does this mean that the wrestler on his registration will get to choose where he wants his donation to go between the two funds? If so why just Fort Hays State as a specific school option? Or does this mean the wrestler will be able to choose another college if he prefers to have it designated specifically to say Newman, Baker, Benedictine, Ottawa, or other universtiy. Since this is a statewide tournament perhaps it would be best just to designate the donation to the Kansas College Wrestling Fund or as an alternative give the wrestler the option to be able to designate his donation to the Kansas college wrestling program of his choice. That way senior wrestlers who have already committed to another Kansas college could designate their donation to their future school or perhaps one where another family member is currently wrestling. I think it would be a mistake to limit a specific school donation to only FHSU.

The registration fee of $31 or $41 might be a little rich for some Kansas wrestling families especially when they need to also plan for other traveling expenses. This might keep some quality wrestlers from participating and thus lessen a little the Grand State competition.

The danger of giving feedback is that it can be seen as all negative. I really do not want you to think I am all negative on this. I like the overwhelming majority of your idea for this tournament.

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Husker Fan] #228438 03/19/14 11:24 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
As much as I applaud the effort, if the goal is to create a grand state tournament, then I would approach it differently. I would get a well heeled organization (hint, USAWKS-kids), to fund the venue rental for a suitable site. Then I would approach KSHSAA with the following proposal....
1. We will pay the venue rental costs for 2 years.
2. We will not sanction invitational youth tournaments for those dates.
3. We will volunteer all duties as needed for the grunt work (score keeping etc.)
4. We will discourage anyone from taking our high school wrestlers out of state to a real or perceived "national" tournament.
5. All income from this tournament would become the property of KSHSAA for the length of the agreement.
In return, KSHSAA will sanction said tournament and manage or direct it as they do the various State Tournaments. At the end of the two year agreement, if the tournament proves profitable, KSHSAA will assume the venue rental costs for any future tournaments.
With KSHSAA sanctioning, this would allow our high school coaches to work with the under-classmen of course and would likely be better supported by competitors.

Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: sportsfan02] #228447 03/19/14 02:09 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
4. We will discourage anyone from taking our high school wrestlers out of state to a real or perceived "national" tournament.

This tournament will be used as potential criteria for choosing the All-Class teams at the RMN. It is not the same weekend.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Chief Renegade] #228448 03/19/14 02:20 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Like RMN there could always be a new tournament pop up on the weekend in question, claiming to be a "national" tournament, and some fool willing to take our best kids out of state for his/her own personal gratification.

Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: sportsfan02] #228451 03/19/14 03:10 PM
R
rccokeley Offline
R
Like RMN there could always be a new tournament pop up on the weekend in question, claiming to be a "national" tournament, and some fool willing to take our best kids out of state for his/her own personal gratification.

First of all, why do you care? Secondly, the kids CHOOSE to go to RMN because it is a fun trip and there is obviously some quality competition. Chief dedicates his time and energy for these kids, not for his own personal gratification. You're out of line.

Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: sportsfan02] #228452 03/19/14 03:13 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline

That is over the top. What have you done for Kansas wrestling? I see you at meetings and as a spectator. Put your money where your posts are! I don't see you rolling out and rolling up mats. I didn't see you in Salina the night after HS state to give 6U and Elementary kids a chance to compete. I have NEVER seen you behind the wheel of a van transporting 10 or more wrestlers to Des Moines, Indianola, Denver, Cedar Falls, Oklahoma City or where the kids WANT to compete. I haven't seen your credit card being swiped at the pump or on any hotel rooms. Eric is a TRUE supporter of the sport. He needs no defending but this is a prime case of the bully on the playground going after the popular kid and taking a cheap shot. Back off Greg!

EVERY wrestler has the opportunity to choose to compete in the tournament of their choice. The beauty of wrestling is that you don't have to have a team or a staff to compete. For me it has been about the many hours I got to spend with my boys. Quality time both on the mat and in the car. NO ONE told us where we had to go or that we couldn't compete here or there. I will not support totalitarian practices. I believe in the FREE MARKET system. I am well healed and I don't need an organization holding me back. If the tournament works GREAT. If it doesn't then I won't do it again. I will do everything in my power to attract competitors with the offering not mandates, restrictions, or sanctioning.

KSHSAA will take years to allow themselves to support such and event. I will seek support from USAWKS in the same way we have for 6U, Elementary, and Middle School State. Build it and they will come. I will continue to provide opportunities to compete and for kids/parents/supporters to support and enjoy this great sport.

Greg, can I count on you to volunteer and help with this event?

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Husker Fan] #228453 03/19/14 03:47 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Husker Fan
Will:

You are asking for feedback and although I no longer have anyone actively wrestling I guess I am still interested enough to be actively supporting the Kansas College Wrestling Fund and to still occasionally be getting on to this forum so I am going to give you some feedback.

First in general I really like the idea of this type of Grand State tournament. If accepted by the Kansas wrestling community I think it could be as close as we could expect to the Grand State concept. I think it is innovative and good you are trying to plan such a tournament. Here are a couple of questions I have though.

I am not sure why you are setting up an extra $10 registration entry difference for those who do not wrestle at their KSHSAA weight. It seems like you have set weights with a reasonable five pound weight allowances set up so why the extra $10? To give incentive for a wrestler to compete at the weight they competed in during the high school state tournament. There is NO WAY I can mandate this or want to but I would like to give a financial incentive to keep the state qualifiers in their respective weight classes.

I am not sure if high school coaches are allowed by the Kansas State High School State Association to coach underclassmen in a post season event like this. I really do not know but I thought maybe they might be restricted from doing so. Do you know for sure if they are allowed to? They are NOT allowed to coach their underclassmen and I don't see any way to get this changed in less than 12 months. Coaches will have to swap corners and coach other kids. At this point in time the man in the corner isn't really going to make a difference.

You state on the donation part that it will go to Fort Hays State University Bob Smith Wrestling Endowment or the Kansas College Wrestling Fund. Does this mean that the wrestler on his registration will get to choose where he wants his donation to go between the two funds? I haven't really committed this in any way but I was considering a 50/50 split. If so why just Fort Hays State as a specific school option? Mainly because this is what I want to do. smile FHSU is the ONLY four year, public school offering wrestling. It is the ONLY school in Kansas that has a wrestling specific endowment set up. If pressed I will give 100% to FHSU to help them accelerate their fund to a point where they can offer 9.9 scholarships as allowed by the NCAA. Currently they are just over 7 and that is creatively speaking. They are not fully funded. I am on the fence about supporting, financially, schools that are motivated by profit to offer wrestling not because they support the sport. I have continued to support both but in this manner. Or does this mean the wrestler will be able to choose another college if he prefers to have it designated specifically to say Newman, Baker, Benedictine, Ottawa, or other universtiy. Since this is a statewide tournament perhaps it would be best just to designate the donation to the Kansas College Wrestling Fund or as an alternative give the wrestler the option to be able to designate his donation to the Kansas college wrestling program of his choice. That way senior wrestlers who have already committed to another Kansas college could designate their donation to their future school or perhaps one where another family member is currently wrestling. I think it would be a mistake to limit a specific school donation to only FHSU. I am not going to create an entry form with a multiple choice questionnaire as to where they want their $1 contribution to go to. If the KCWF wants to fund this tournament I would be happy to let every $1 contribution go to that fund. I would then expect to see every board member there from the start of registration until the last mat is rolled up.

The registration fee of $31 or $41 might be a little rich for some Kansas wrestling families especially when they need to also plan for other traveling expenses. This might keep some quality wrestlers from participating and thus lessen a little the Grand State competition. Obviously you have not operated a tournament of this size. Rent, security, AWARDS, clean up, mats, internet, computers, clocks, printers, officials, table workers, etc. We recently conducted a tournament at the Salina Bicentennial center with nearly 700 competitors. It was a one day event and a moderate admission was charged. The net result was a plus $20 and change. Next year they want to increase the facility rent. The security alone for that event was $1850. I would LOVE to make it free. Are you offering a sizeable contribution to this effort? smile

The danger of giving feedback is that it can be seen as all negative. I really do not want you to think I am all negative on this. I like the overwhelming majority of your idea for this tournament.

Feedback... It FEEDS improvement and it FEEDS creativity! I don't claim to have all of the answers. All feedback, negative or positive can be constructive. I can dish it out so I am certainly willing to take it. I don't want to beat the streets asking for hand outs but IF anyone is volunteering then I am not going to turn them

Last edited by Cokeley; 03/19/14 04:00 PM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 135 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)