Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: John Johnson] #228681 03/23/14 12:03 PM
Pelland Offline
People who live on the border of one district, and wrestle for a club in the neighboring district is one thing, but at the end of a season signing up with a club that's 3-4 hours away is completely different. If your signed up with a club, you should be practicing with that club weekly. Our current State tournamnt rotates yearly on which district wrestles which. If we don't put a stop to this, dads will jump ship and switch to a different district just so their kid won't be on the same side of the bracket as wrestler "X".

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: John Johnson] #228682 03/23/14 12:07 PM
bubbasmom77 Offline
I don't think he's talking about limiting a parents freedom at all. I think you all miss the points he's trying to make because in one way or another you feel like he's talking about you. I agree 100% with Chad, if you have practiced all year with a club and made the sacrifices to drive there and be a part of that team and they have made you better in some way then by all means sign up and wrestle the state series with them. When you have been recruited in the week before subs to join the team, well now your just a bunch of glory hound wannabees. So go on and recruit your state title cause the only people that talk about how good of a coaching staff you got a how great your team is, is you. Everyone else is talking about how great you can recruit.

Mike Pirl

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: bubbasmom77] #228683 03/23/14 01:26 PM
J
jerry davis Offline
J
Who won the team title 5 yrs ago. Who cares about it. 62 kids from one club going to state compare to smaller schools that have 12 not really Apples to apples. I believe the next closest is 38. Drop the team title.

I am more concerned about the numbers at the small towns around that big club.

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: jerry davis] #228685 03/23/14 01:35 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Thank you Jerry!!! Kids club team titles are important to the team that's wins it. I have no idea who won 5 years ago and neither does 99% of folks reading this without looking it up. If you are so desperate for such an obscure title. Well,
go for it I guess. Recruit on! Pretty pathetic from where I'm standing though.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #228686 03/23/14 01:51 PM
T
THE-RYLANTS Offline
T
I hate to be the one to bring this up but every high school wrestler in the state signed up with a kids club in the last few weeks in order to wrestle kids and none of them practiced with that club all year...unless they broke the KSHSAA rules. Also this kid in question is potentially moving to district 2. And as a side note, every kid in 100 lbs high school division moves on to state, there were 2 other kids in D1 and 2 kids in D2. If you want to argue about the fact that it messes up seeding in the state bracket then I guess you don't believe as I do. "you have to beat everyone in the bracket to be a champ, period." I am sure this club did not accept this kid for team points, heck they would have qualified 61 without him!!! They are a great club with great coaches, great kids, and great families! They simply are giving a high schooler a chance to wrestle in the qualifying tournaments and helping Kansas Kids wrestling grow!! Not recruiting for a state title but helping develop Kansas wrestling into a Powerhouse, which is what we all should be promoting!!!!

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: THE-RYLANTS] #228696 03/23/14 03:22 PM
in it to win it Offline
IF, the HS'r goes to the school/lives in the same town/district -- the kids club uses the HS's mat & @ the end of HS season desires to wrestle Kids HS STATE on the same mats but yet NOT the same HS HEAD coach I am confused as to what the $300.00 HS option from USA Wrestling was to do for the HS wrestlers?

(Yes, this is a "run-on" sentence that should be edited).

In it to win it.
Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: THE-RYLANTS] #228713 03/23/14 07:38 PM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: THE-RYLANTS
I hate to be the one to bring this up but every high school wrestler in the state signed up with a kids club in the last few weeks in order to wrestle kids and none of them practiced with that club all year...unless they broke the KSHSAA rules. Also this kid in question is potentially moving to district 2. And as a side note, every kid in 100 lbs high school division moves on to state, there were 2 other kids in D1 and 2 kids in D2. If you want to argue about the fact that it messes up seeding in the state bracket then I guess you don't believe as I do. "you have to beat everyone in the bracket to be a champ, period." I am sure this club did not accept this kid for team points, heck they would have qualified 61 without him!!! They are a great club with great coaches, great kids, and great families! They simply are giving a high schooler a chance to wrestle in the qualifying tournaments and helping Kansas Kids wrestling grow!! Not recruiting for a state title but helping develop Kansas wrestling into a Powerhouse, which is what we all should be promoting!!!!

I am "potentially" getting a sex change. How many of you actually believe that? Probably the same number that believes this kid is actually moving to District 2.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: Beeson] #228714 03/23/14 07:50 PM
A
Alguacil Offline
A
I believe you Beeson, for as much ragging you have been doing on this forum it would only make sense.

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: Alguacil] #228716 03/23/14 08:04 PM
J
Jeremy Smith Offline
J
Kids wrestling is for the kids, not the coaches! Team points mean little at kids state! Numbers game, how is it fair? one team has 100 kids, one has 30! Yes lots of clubs stand out and congrats to those clubs.

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: Pelland] #228718 03/23/14 08:12 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: Pelland
People who live on the border of one district, and wrestle for a club in the neighboring district is one thing, but at the end of a season signing up with a club that's 3-4 hours away is completely different. If your signed up with a club, you should be practicing with that club weekly. Our current State tournamnt rotates yearly on which district wrestles which. If we don't put a stop to this, dads will jump ship and switch to a different district just so their kid won't be on the same side of the bracket as wrestler "X".

Greg, I agree with you, Chad and Mike on this matter. I don't see any issue with wrestling with a club that you started with and ended with even if you live in another district. You need to be practicing with that club throughout the year and competing for their team in tournaments; that is how you become a part of their team and deserve to wrestle for them in the State Championship Series. Now if you had to move at the end of the season and wrestling with your club became a hardship due to distance, that would be another thing. I don't see that this is the case here.

Lee Girard
Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: ReDPloyd] #228728 03/23/14 08:37 PM
A
Alguacil Offline
A
Beeson,
If you really were genuine in trying to fix the perceived issues with kids wrestling you would not have called out a minor by name or another club on this talk forum.

Start a new thread and start campaigning about how you are going to make this a better organization for all and convince me. Just maybe, I'll change my opinion of you.

I'm sure if you work hard enough all of our problems will be solved.

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: Alguacil] #228730 03/23/14 08:40 PM
J
JamyD Offline
J
What's the bylaws say? Bahahaha....The million dollar question right there. At least that is what its gonna cost in attorney fees to set those things straight!!!

District 5 boys!!!! smile

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: ReDPloyd] #228752 03/24/14 01:04 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
It appears this thread and The High School Division are the same, a group of people 'crying' about some kid that changed clubs and in effect, changed districts right before the state serious. I cannot believe this kid has been called out by name and virtually no one is having a fit. Just a few weeks ago somebody asked on here what happened to a certain kid and he got pounced on.

Go ahead and pass a rule against this...as Lee said, you must start with the club and practice with it so you can deserve to wrestle in the state series. Really, I think a 4 time High School state champ practiced for Team Central and then wrestled at least one year for Mat Side (Will's club) in the State series. Doubt if he wrestled for Mat Side at many tourneys thru the year. I think this is just fine. But,your rule would of precluded him from wrestling in the Kansas State Series. Is that what you want.

If you start passing rules where does it stop. Title IV had good intentions, but the end result was devastating for college wrestling. There are always unintended consequences. Better draw you rule up right.

And, Mike, I do not think Beeson is talking about me. I have 1 son that now wrestles in college and we never switched districts. But, we did not always wrestle for the club closest to us and neither does my grandson. They have, and will, wrestle for the club(s) which I think is the best fit for them, and that includes going out of state sometimes. Fortunately, the decision of what club to wrestle for is not based on some rule.

You know this is really a terrible, petty topic, when Will does not even chime in. Will always has an opinion. LOL

Last edited by John Johnson; 03/24/14 01:06 AM.
Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: John Johnson] #228756 03/24/14 01:32 AM
bubbasmom77 Offline
John, I believe as I stated that if you practice with the club all year then by all means you should wrestle the state series with them. The rule if made should be based upon that in some way. Integrity would play a role as with any rule. As for the high school kids signing up for clubs it should be wherever they are going to continue practicing the majority of the time.
I firmly believe in going to multiple clubs and multiple coaches but I also believe in having some integrity and loyalty to those who you practice with most.

Mike Pirl

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: bubbasmom77] #228757 03/24/14 01:46 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
Mike, I personally agree, but you got to be careful when you add new rules. To handle one overzealous set of parents you could end up hurting other parents who really are trying to do the right thing. Anyway, it sounds like the real issue is the moving up an age group. From what I just heard, it sounds like this complaint could have some merit. John.

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: John Johnson] #228762 03/24/14 02:38 AM
roughly Offline
Beeson is correct.

I think in addition that a good way to ask yourself if you have a "club" or something other than that, Does every kid in your "club" know the name of every other kid in the "club"? or at LEAST recognize him (or her) as a teammate?

I also think that if your "club" is headquartered more than 25 miles from where you live and you DON'T live in Western Kansas, you might be talkin bout a bagger.

Rob Roughly
Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: roughly] #228765 03/24/14 02:52 AM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
For the record, I am friends with James Turner and Mason will be a great addition to any club.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #228767 03/24/14 03:20 AM
C
CWB Offline
C
We live over 40 miles from our club. We drive there 3 times a week are NEVER late,always one of the last to leave.Been there over 3 year. We go there because we as a family do not fit in most clubs. People have treated my son like crap. Said he would never be s good wrestler.I could go on and on. Every week at every tournament I have people ask where the club we are in practices.Most of them state they like how we treat the kids.If I ask them why they do not like the club they are in,the norm is, That there kids are over looked where they are at.The club my son is in NO one is ever over looked.

Now if you would like to call my son or little girl A bagger. I will be at the state tournament this next weekend. I will have the same black cowboy hat I wear every weekend. Fill free to ask me to step out side and discuss it with you.

BTW we where not recruited in any way.I talked to them,I watched there kids wrestle,liked what I saw and talked to them.At the time of the move we where A 50/50 wrestler at best.My girl was no way encouraged to step on the mat till we joined the club we are in now.I thank they all the time for letting us join.The club as a hole in family.

Charles Bradford

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: Pelland] #228769 03/24/14 10:35 AM
J
jule Offline
J
I for one don't care what club you wrestle for. My question is how this young man went from an 8th grader in November to a Freshman now? Seems to me something is not right. Which ever club he is wrestling for now needs to be aware this situation will reflect on them also. It may bring into question everything you have done or will do. If the rules were not followed where this young man was concerned what other rules do you not follow? I am not saying that they don't follow the rules but if it comes out that the rules were broken it may lead some people to believe that is how this club works. The rules aren't for them and their wrestlers. So my question for that club is which is it 8 th grader or freshman? Which tournament did he wrestler illegal in the ones back in November or the ones now?

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: jule] #228775 03/24/14 11:25 AM
bawoody Offline
Jule,

Until you step in our practice room and know how we operate or get to know our coaches. Do not question our ethics. Our team had no prior knowledge of any wrong doing by this young man, he asked to wrestle with us and we accepted. We will not turn down a wrestler that wants to get better. Questions were raised on his eligibility and I presented this to the parents. They have since then provided the necessary paperwork to the ones questioning his grade status. Now let’s move on and quit the petty bickering so this young wrestler can enjoy his time on the mat.

Bruce Woodruff
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 143 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)