Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: District 2 - Cancelled sub-districts? [Re: Coach Beck] #231459 10/08/14 06:25 PM
Beeson Offline
THAT is an idea I would whole-heartedly get behind.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: District 2 - Cancelled sub-districts? [Re: Coach Beck] #231460 10/08/14 10:59 PM
P
pdipol Offline
P
I am new to the Kansas youth wrestling scene. How do the tournaments work? Was the sub-district a qualifier for Districts and districts a qualifier for States? How many wrestlers advance in a weight class to the next tournament? It seems the setup is much different from where I came from (NJ) so just trying to understand it. Thanks for your help!

Re: District 2 - Cancelled sub-districts? [Re: pdipol] #231461 10/08/14 11:45 PM
D
Daniel DRW Offline
D
4 Districts. Top 4 from each Sub District to District, top 4 there to State. Seeding meeting is held prior to 1st qualifier, then by place after that. State seeding is rotating yearly between the 4 districts for example one season D1 1 seed gets D2 4 seed and D3 1 seed gets D4 4 seed, then the next year could be D1 VS D4 and D2 versus D3.

Last edited by Daniel DRW; 10/08/14 11:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Re: District 2 - Cancelled sub-districts? [Re: Daniel DRW] #231462 10/08/14 11:50 PM
P
pdipol Offline
P
Thank you Daniel for your response.

Re: District 2 - Cancelled sub-districts? [Re: pdipol] #231463 10/08/14 11:55 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: pdipol
I am new to the Kansas youth wrestling scene. How do the tournaments work? Was the sub-district a qualifier for Districts and districts a qualifier for States? How many wrestlers advance in a weight class to the next tournament? It seems the setup is much different from where I came from (NJ) so just trying to understand it. Thanks for your help!
Kansas is divided geographically into four (4) districts. Each District is further divided into either a North / South or East / West to create the Sub-districts. The Sub-district tournament is open to all member wrestlers participating with a USAW Kansas chartered club within the boundaries of the appropriate Sub-district. Bracket size at the Sub-district is only limited by the number of entries and the top four (4) place winners advance to the District Tournament. The top four (4) place winners at the District Tournament then advance to the USAW Kansas Kids State Championship Tournament.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: District 2 - Cancelled sub-districts? [Re: RichardDSalyer] #231464 10/09/14 08:13 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
I am not disagreeing with the numbers - but the season will not end sooner if the State Tournament site is reserved for a year or two out - in the short term. some other clubs will host tournaments on that subdistrict weekend (if those tournaments do not happen) if there is an open date prior to The District.
Just my opinion -

USA Kansas Kids Schedule
Mar 14 Subdistrict Tournaments TBA
Mar 21 District Tournaments TBA
Mar 28-29 Kansas State Folkstyle Championships Topeka Expocenter

NCAA D- I Tournament
St Louis - Scott Trade Center
March 19-21

Last edited by smokeycabin; 10/09/14 08:23 AM.
Re: District 2 - Cancelled sub-districts? [Re: smokeycabin] #231468 10/09/14 10:18 AM
M
MSvikings Offline
M
Coach Beck you are on the money with that post. Just for that reason alone would be good to get rid of Subs.

Josh Pakrer

Re: District 2 - Cancelled sub-districts? [Re: smokeycabin] #231469 10/09/14 11:32 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: smokeycabin
I am not disagreeing with the numbers - but the season will not end sooner if the State Tournament site is reserved for a year or two out - in the short term. some other clubs will host tournaments on that subdistrict weekend (if those tournaments do not happen) if there is an open date prior to The District.
Just my opinion -

USA Kansas Kids Schedule
Mar 14 Subdistrict Tournaments TBA
Mar 21 District Tournaments TBA
Mar 28-29 Kansas State Folkstyle Championships Topeka Expocenter

NCAA D- I Tournament
St Louis - Scott Trade Center
March 19-21

This has been my point all along. You can move the state tournament back as much as you want (even though there are logistical obstacles to that), but you are NOT going to shorten the season. You will simply have your first invitational tournaments in November as opposed to December. And more importantly you will have invitationals on those same dates you just vacated in an attempt to shorten the season.
In regards to the NCAA's, I do not believe that is a reasonable goal for several reasons. 1. Ninety-nine percent of our kids, even if the biggest fans of college wrestling, are not going to be able or willing to wrestle at that level. 2. Right now the NCAA's are in our backyard so to speak, there is no guarantee that that will always be the case and even if it is, it is still beyond the reach financially for the majority of our kids. 3. Probably the majority of our kids have little or no contact with high school wrestling/wrestlers but they are expected to somehow develop an appreciation of college wrestling just by attending the NCAA's?
I would suggest it is far more important to both our kids and our high schools programs for the kids to attend high school events. Also, our local college programs could use our attendance as well. We expect to get a D1 program in this state when adults and kids alike do not attend a relatively cheap and local college event?

Re: District 2 - Cancelled sub-districts? [Re: sportsfan02] #231471 10/09/14 02:04 PM
C
Coach Beck Offline
C
I feel like a these reasons are some of the things holding our athletes back in the first place. 1. By your logic 90+% of our athletes will never become HS state champions, so therefore we should eliminate exposure or goal setting to help that become a reality. 2. Attendance is the only way to have an influence or exposure to the sport. ESPN last year aired every single match of the tournament. The tournament returns to STL in 2017. Our athletes also have little contact with NFL, MLB, and NBA athletes, yet I feel like we are the only sports that use this as an excuse. Actually, our sport has one of the largest chances to contact our most elite level athletes on a very frequent occurrence.

We need to stop aiming low and hitting low. The holy grail of KS wrestling can not continue to be a kids or HS state championship. We need to have loftier goals and set actions into motion to accomplish those goals. I am realistic, I don't expect all our athletes to wrestle in college, especially at a D1 level. But who is it for us to say that they can't or won't. I was lucky enough to have an opportunity to wrestle in college and pursue my education at a higher level through that avenue. I will not be the reason my athletes goals aren't high. Our sport is way too hard for kids to not be fans of it first. I have strong feelings that opening this date is important to the beginning of said shift.

Jacob Beck
Head Wrestling Coach
Leavenworth High School Pioneers
@LVPioneerWrest
Re: District 2 - Cancelled sub-districts? [Re: Coach Beck] #231474 10/09/14 04:10 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Coach Beck

We need to stop aiming low and hitting low.

You have NEVER heard me say we are "hitting low". In fact I have argued for years that Kansas far exceeds on both a regional and national level. Sorry, I don't buy the old "we don't have a D1 program, so we suck" or "we don't do things exactly like other states, so we are lagging behind". I would love to have a D1 program at WSU but then again, I will be the crazy one who actually has his youth wrestler at their home events rather than at the Acme youth invitational that day.

Our sport is way too hard for kids to not be fans of it first. I have strong feelings that opening this date is important to the beginning of said shift.

And there will be at least 4 youth tournaments that weekend and they will be full of all of our Kansas youth!

Re: District 2 - Cancelled sub-districts? [Re: sportsfan02] #231476 10/10/14 12:13 AM
C
Coach Beck Offline
C
This is the last time I'm going to post on this topic. The previous post wasn't aiming at anyone's opinion but my own. I am saying we are missing low. We are behind multiple states within our region, let alone nationally, results clearly show that. Neither of the states leading our region have scheduled competitions per trackwrestling.com, March 21.

I don't buy the we don't have a D1 program so we suck opinion either. There are a vast number of monetary, logistical, social, and political issues leading up to the addition of a program. I also feel that being one of the lone states to compete on the weekend of the Division 1 wrestling tournament wouldn't look like a positive to a committee looking at the support levels for a prospective program.

Finally, I agree that there would be at least 4 tournaments that weekend full of Kansas youth, which is tremendous. Though, it could have to do with the fact that it is a mandatory qualifier for the state tournament. Those same four tournaments would also be full if they were held the weekend prior.

Jacob Beck
Head Wrestling Coach
Leavenworth High School Pioneers
@LVPioneerWrest
Re: District 2 - Cancelled sub-districts? [Re: Coach Beck] #231477 10/10/14 01:12 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
This is the last time I'm going to post on this topic. The previous post wasn't aiming at anyone's opinion but my own. I am saying we are missing low. We are behind multiple states within our region, let alone nationally, results clearly show that. Neither of the states leading our region have scheduled competitions per trackwrestling.com, March 21.

I don't buy the we don't have a D1 program so we suck opinion either. There are a vast number of monetary, logistical, social, and political issues leading up to the addition of a program. I also feel that being one of the lone states to compete on the weekend of the Division 1 wrestling tournament wouldn't look like a positive to a committee looking at the support levels for a prospective program.

Finally, I agree that there would be at least 4 tournaments that weekend full of Kansas youth, which is tremendous. Though, it could have to do with the fact that it is a mandatory qualifier for the state tournament. Those same four tournaments would also be full if they were held the weekend prior.

I'm saying even if we end our season before NCAA's there will be at least 4 invitational youth tournaments that same weekend. If we want to create fans of the sport, we need to do it on the local and state level first and foremost. The vast majority of our kids never get to see a high school match until they themselves are in high school. I have for years advocated a statewide moratorium on tournaments the weekend of high school state in order to encourage our coaches and parents to attend. Doesn't matter to me either way, because that is where my youth wrestler will be.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 166 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,938
Posts250,369
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)