Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Inflating Records [Re: Beeson] #232828 01/15/15 08:37 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Unfortunately, they always have counted that because the match was official because the guy actually defaulted. In that case we have counted that forever all over the country. The ones I object to are people claiming wins for matches that were simply open in duals. Next year we are going to address that at the Bobcat. I've seen a lot of those and they should not be counted because there was never a match to be defaulted. In my mind there is a clear difference between a default and a forfeit. Team scores accumulate but the individual record should not prosper for it. Bet you tail Wayne didn't count them smile

Last edited by Westfahl; 01/15/15 08:38 PM.
Re: Inflating Records [Re: Westfahl] #232830 01/15/15 10:20 PM
Cokeley Offline
Chad,

Those would be the same as INJ DEF which would occur if a wrestler is injured during a tournament. By rule those are individual W's as it stands today and a team earns points equivalent to a fall for bonus.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Inflating Records [Re: Beeson] #232832 01/15/15 10:33 PM
M
M.Church_AD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I count that as a win. By rule the wrestler still has to go to the match, dressed to compete and get his hand raised. So yes. I am not understanding the Open in a scramble tournament. If there is one Open does everyone not get the bye at some point and there for it is a wash??? Dead serious... not being a smart aleck?

Re: Inflating Records [Re: M.Church_AD] #232833 01/15/15 10:35 PM
M
M.Church_AD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
An open in a dual is labelled a forfeit. Kid still has to appear and get his hand raised to get the team points. Therefore, I believe that can count on his record. There is a difference between 1st round Bye and Forfeit in a Dual.

Re: Inflating Records [Re: M.Church_AD] #232834 01/15/15 11:02 PM
J
Just Wondering Offline
J
Wow, jumping in the car and heading back to Parsons to update the record books. Bye, Forfeit, Inj Default, Default for any reason ( guy gets kick out of tournament, guy doesnt wrestle a girl, guy doesnt make wieght) all count as wins?

No wonder I see some many kids with 100,120,130 wins in a career.

Bob Burnett
Re: Inflating Records [Re: M.Church_AD] #232835 01/15/15 11:07 PM
S
Spexy Offline
S
Agree, 100%, with Mr. Church. A bye shouldn't count. But, an open at any dual should. The wrestler made the weight to compete, not his fault there was nobody to wrestle. Or even worse, they sat varsity wrestlers, to keep there stats up, avoiding a loss.
And it happens!

Re: Inflating Records [Re: Spexy] #232840 01/16/15 01:21 AM
C
Coach Fitz Offline
C
I believe competition points play into this debate. If a dual meet costs my kid a competition point, and the other team is open, I don't think it's unreasonable to log that as a W.

My kid made weight. He was ready to wrestle. It's counting against his overall number of competitions allowed. I have no problem with that being considered a win on their record.

Now, if an open in a dual no longer cost a competition point I would feel a bit different on the subject.

Conor J. Fitzgerald
OSHS Head Coach
cfitzgeraldos@olatheschools.org
Re: Inflating Records [Re: Spexy] #232844 01/16/15 02:42 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: Spexy
Agree, 100%, with Mr. Church. A bye shouldn't count. But, an open at any dual should. The wrestler made the weight to compete, not his fault there was nobody to wrestle. Or even worse, they sat varsity wrestlers, to keep there stats up, avoiding a loss.
And it happens!

And how does this differ from a scramble when a coach leaves a kid home because he doesn't think he is ready or doesn't want to give up pin points in a tournament?? The wrestler made weight and wants to earn points for his team just like in the dual. This dual vs tournament is a hair splitter. Either you wrestle or you don't!!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Inflating Records [Re: M.Church_AD] #232845 01/16/15 02:43 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: FalconCoach
An open in a dual is labelled a forfeit. Kid still has to appear and get his hand raised to get the team points. Therefore, I believe that can count on his record. There is a difference between 1st round Bye and Forfeit in a Dual.

Only would be different if the BYE was due to not having enough teams to fill the bracket. In a HS regional there are 8 teams in 5A and 6A so EVERY spot in the bracket should be filled? Agreed? No different than a dual forfeit.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Inflating Records [Re: Cokeley] #232852 01/16/15 10:24 AM
Beeson Offline
I think we are making this way too hard. Let's simplify, TWO things have to happen for a match to count towards or against a record. There has to be a winner and there has to be a loser. If there is no one to put a tally mark down for on the losers side there can be no tally on the winners side. Byes and Opens are ways of inflating records plain and simple. I don't care if you had to make weight or not. I don't care if someone was dodging you and didn't go out on the mat or not. There has to be two tally marks. 1 winner/1 loser, simple math.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Inflating Records [Re: Beeson] #232855 01/16/15 11:48 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: Beeson
I think we are making this way too hard. Let's simplify, TWO things have to happen for a match to count towards or against a record. There has to be a winner and there has to be a loser. If there is no one to put a tally mark down for on the losers side there can be no tally on the winners side. Byes and Opens are ways of inflating records plain and simple. I don't care if you had to make weight or not. I don't care if someone was dodging you and didn't go out on the mat or not. There has to be two tally marks. 1 winner/1 loser, simple math.

That works fine for an individuals mat record. The hair splitting has to happen for team scores to MOTIVATE coaches to fill their line ups. The practice of leaving wrestlers at home to avoid giving up falls or more points at tournament needs to have a team scoring consequence. ESPECIALLY AT OUR HS REGIONAL EVENTS!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Inflating Records [Re: Cokeley] #232857 01/16/15 12:01 PM
Beeson Offline
Wasn't St. James a little light at Derby? whistle

It would be nice if every team would fill a full team, especially at Regionals. With that said, the Regional Ark City attends is usually pretty full.

Re: Inflating Records [Re: Beeson] #232858 01/16/15 12:23 PM
M
Mullin Offline
M
Beeson nails it and his rule stands up to many of our "laws" outside of wrestling: for each credit there has to be a debit; for every action there is a reaction; for every affect there is a cause; for every force there is an equal and opposite force; and most importantly the law of common sense - to get a win you have to beat somebody. I guess I don't know enough about tournaments and competition to understand how some coaches manipulate tournament points, but doesn't seem like we should use athletes records as a way to MOTIVATE coaches to do whats right.

Ps. 3:6
Re: Inflating Records [Re: Mullin] #232859 01/16/15 12:27 PM
Cokeley Offline
SJA left guys at home that would have been on top of the podium. We over schedule to provide an option to take the ACT in February, be sick or injured, skip a weekend for academics or whatever the case may be. I think the Thunder still finished in the top half.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Inflating Records [Re: Cokeley] #232860 01/16/15 12:37 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
SJA left guys at home that would have been on top of the podium. We over schedule to provide an option to take the ACT in February, be sick or injured, skip a weekend for academics or whatever the case may be. I think the Thunder still finished in the top half.

The point remains, by not showing up it took away opportunity for others to score points and bonus points. Whether or not some one could have benefitted from that opportunity will never be known, because the opportunity was not provided.

I understand over scheduling, Ark City does it as well. I do think it is harder for you to complain about open weights when you are guilty of open weights.

Re: Inflating Records [Re: Beeson] #232861 01/16/15 12:54 PM
Cokeley Offline
I don't agree. I am not complaining about open weights. The Thunder would not care if their opens resulted in giving up 2 advancement and 2 bonus for their opens on the front and 1 plus 2 on the back. We have a reason that we CANNOT bring guys. We aren't leaving guys home bc they would get pinned and we are worried about team points or regional seeding records.

This year at the JoCo Classic there were seven teams with 8 or fewer wrestlers. These are 6a schools with over 1,000 and sometimes more than 1,500 students. There is no excuse to not find 14 competitors.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Inflating Records [Re: Cokeley] #232866 01/16/15 02:30 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
I don't agree. I am not complaining about open weights. The Thunder would not care if their opens resulted in giving up 2 advancement and 2 bonus for their opens on the front and 1 plus 2 on the back. We have a reason that we CANNOT bring guys. We aren't leaving guys home bc they would get pinned and we are worried about team points or regional seeding records.

This year at the JoCo Classic there were seven teams with 8 or fewer wrestlers. These are 6a schools with over 1,000 and sometimes more than 1,500 students. There is no excuse to not find 14 competitors.

Will some of those teams may be young and it would be not very wise to send them to the wolves at that point in their wrestling career. I am not talking about dodging but fresh/soph with little to no experience.

What would a Bobcat, Newton, Derby tournament do to benefit that type of kid. Probably remind him that he started way to late.

On the other hand the same kid can go wrestle 3/4 matched at a JV tournament with kids close to his same experience and skill level.

It is called development, some schools and kids need it. Again this isn't dodging, this is being outclassed and out gunned.

Does everyone fit into that category I bet not, but I have seen the success of a few of these type of kids already this year.

Will you have to remember that SJA is a exception to most rules, there aren't many school with 2 to 3 deep quality kids that can go win varsity matches. Most are lucky to even feel the entire roster with "experienced" kids.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Inflating Records [Re: Teamroper] #232879 01/17/15 03:49 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: Teamroper

Will some of those teams may be young and it would be not very wise to send them to the wolves at that point in their wrestling career. I am not talking about dodging but fresh/soph with little to no experience.

What would a Bobcat, Newton, Derby tournament do to benefit that type of kid. Probably remind him that he started way to late.

On the other hand the same kid can go wrestle 3/4 matched at a JV tournament with kids close to his same experience and skill level.

It is called development, some schools and kids need it. Again this isn't dodging, this is being outclassed and out gunned.

Does everyone fit into that category I bet not, but I have seen the success of a few of these type of kids already this year.

Will you have to remember that SJA is a exception to most rules, there aren't many school with 2 to 3 deep quality kids that can go win varsity matches. Most are lucky to even feel the entire roster with "experienced" kids.

First of all we are not 2 to 3 kids deep. Every year we have a handful of experienced wrestlers and we fill in with kids that have never wrestled before. Last year we had two or three weights that we had two quality wrestlers in but we developed them. We have 30 kids this year and only 8 experienced wrestlers.

Are you familiar with the Allen, TX HS team? Last year, because they won their third state football title in a row, had a handful of varsity wrestlers still playing football. So they filled their roster with first year wrestlers who had never wrestled a varsity match. Their first tournament, THE IRONMAN. The second tournament was the KC Stampede. Coach Best has one of the best programs in the country. I think you can be developed in many different ways. I personally don't think much development happens at the JV level however I do think staying on the mat 11 months a year does!!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 142 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,938
Posts250,369
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)