Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa #233623 02/10/15 11:10 PM
J
jerry davis Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I would love for the people of power in wrestling to move state back two weeks so the wrestlers can go to the Super Bowl of our sport.

What would it hurt to get done two weeks earlier ?

Division 2 has already taken away one week.

How can we change it ?

Last edited by jerry davis; 02/11/15 01:18 AM.
Re: Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa [Re: jerry davis] #233632 02/11/15 12:00 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
That ticket is going to be harder and harder to get. Or at least more expensive.

Re: Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa [Re: smokeycabin] #233640 02/11/15 02:52 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
Hopefully it does get harder to get, and if it does, they'll move it to a place that holds more people.

I agree, let's get folkstyle over sooner.

Re: Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa [Re: doug747] #233651 02/11/15 05:46 PM
coach craig Offline
This has been a much needed topic to discuss. I always thiught that kids state should finish the week before high school regionals. before anyone goes off and starts talking about mat time and such just stop. During my time as a coach the high school division had the lowest number of wrestlers, the most ejections, and the least amount of interest by the wrestlers. Mat time needs to be gained by wrestling freestyle and Greco. Also, add the6 and under division to the tournament and the state doubles anything the high school does as far as revenue.

Re: Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa [Re: coach craig] #233653 02/11/15 06:17 PM
J
J. Storm Offline
J
I have to say I agree with Craig. I think we need to move up kids state and start freestyle and greco in March. Most wrestlers only get 2 tournaments in before the State Freestyle Tournament and some wrestlers that is their first tournament of the "season".

Jason Storm
Head Women's Coach Labette County High School
Re: Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa [Re: J. Storm] #233655 02/11/15 06:34 PM
M
master blaster Offline
M
Agree with the statements above, only question I have is about kids that wrestle middle school and not club? Different areas of the state end middle school at different times? What's the latest date for middle school to end? Is there the 3 weeks needed in there to qualify and wrestle state the week before HS state? Need to add 6U to state period, should have been done long ago.

Who run Bartertown!
Re: Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa [Re: master blaster] #233656 02/11/15 06:53 PM
J
jerry davis Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Missouri is the only state around us that does it like us.

Colorado is March 7
Oklahoma is February 20
Nebraska is March 14
Texas is February 28
Arkansas is March 14

What do we need to do to change it?

Re: Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa [Re: jerry davis] #233658 02/11/15 08:19 PM
P
Purple_Freak Offline
P
Jerry the way I read the By-Laws is that the date of the State tournament can be determined by the Corporate Board , then approval by the State Body.

I say write up a proposal to present to the Corporate Board.

Re: Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa [Re: jerry davis] #233659 02/11/15 08:31 PM
W
wrestlingspectat Offline
W
First you would have to present a by-law amendment to the board, then the state body would have to approve it.

So essentially what you are looking at is convincing over half of the chartered clubs in the state to cut the season down essentially by 3 weeks, which means alienating 20+ teams of the opportunity to host a tournament during that time that they traditionally have. Since these tournaments are often the big fundraiser of many clubs, good luck getting their vote.

After that you'd have to consider how in the world you are going to run all those sub-districts concurrently with high school regionals where many of these young wrestlers might have brothers and other family wrestling.

Next up ... how many of these young wrestlers actually do go to the NCAA? I'm guessing the percentage is VERY small compared to registered card holders in the state. So you want to change the schedule for everyone for the 2 or 3 hundred kids who MIGHT go.

Finally this is the last year the NCAAs will be held in St. Louis, as it moves to Madison Square Garden in New York next year, so what would be the point then?

Bottom line is you aren't going to get half the clubs in this state to change the schedule for something most kids club members don't have that much interest in or can't afford, especially considering ESPN is now broadcasting the entire tournament.

Re: Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa [Re: wrestlingspectat] #233661 02/11/15 09:02 PM
J
jerry davis Offline OP
OP Offline
J
It's not staying in ny it changes every year.

Start the season earlier like the rest of the states.

The number of wrestle that travel to oklahoma in November is getting larger and larger every year.

Most people that understand wrestling understand the fact that freestyle and Greco help the kids. So if we end the season earlier it opens up more time for freestyle and Greco.

Most of the kids in our club quit wrestling tournaments in February. They think the season is too long. It is hard to keep the new kids motivated that long. Look at the numbers at the beginning of the year compared to late February and March.Derby has figured this out that is why they have the novice tournament around valentines day. If new kids don't like the length of our year then how do we keep them liking it. Look at the numbers of 6u to 12u. We have a drop off. Why? It isn't quality of club or competition.

Also remember that if the parents think the season is too long they won't push for their kids to continue the sport. Practices three times a week from mid November to late march ,weigh ins on Friday and Saturday tournaments is a lot of commitment.

Our state has improved of lot of things. We need to keep improving it to keep kids in the sport. Ncaa is just another reason to end it earlier.

Re: Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa [Re: jerry davis] #233663 02/11/15 09:11 PM
K
kc wrestle Offline
K
100 percent agree. We need to move state up. If you want the same number of tournaments start practice in November and be ready to wrestle in early December.

Re: Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa [Re: kc wrestle] #233664 02/11/15 09:18 PM
J
jerry davis Offline OP
OP Offline
J
What do all the high school coaches think about how long our season is?

Re: Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa [Re: jerry davis] #233665 02/11/15 09:27 PM
J
jeremy sekavec Offline
J
Why should we move state? Why should we shortened the season? The season is not that long to begin with. We want to shorten the season but yet lengthen the Freestyle and Greco Roman season. How many kids participate in those seasons? We are already having practice in november and starting tournaments in december. First weekend of december is when the first tournaments were listed this year. How many kids or parents would actually go watch the NCAA Championships? How much money does it require to go watch? The cost will add up quickly. Jerry if you have kids quitting then i would look at your club and see why. We lose maybe three all year.

Re: Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa [Re: jerry davis] #233666 02/11/15 09:28 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
People have been trying to get the state of Kansas to have middle school season early across the board for many years and they appear to be fighting a losing battle. So if we move state up to before highschool state, these middle schoolers that wrestle the late season will not be able to participate in the kids qualifying series as there season ends the 1st week of March.

Re: Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa [Re: L.Geyer] #233669 02/11/15 11:23 PM
C
Coach Beck Offline
C
I am fully behind moving the kids state tournament to facilitate the ability to watch the pinnacle of our sport. Eliminate Subs, have a two day district if needed. The options for state would either be to move it two weeks earlier, or keep it the same weekend and just have the NCAA weekend off. Every match wrestled was on an ESPN affiliate last year, so even if you are not able to attend the opportunity is there to watch. Kids need to be able to see what quality is if they are expected to achieve it.

Jacob Beck
Head Wrestling Coach
Leavenworth High School Pioneers
@LVPioneerWrest
Re: Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa [Re: Coach Beck] #233671 02/12/15 12:54 AM
C
CWB Offline
C
My family would rather do some thing than watch it on tv.When state comes around we have to push kids out of our room. So if you are loosing kids I would look at what else is up.As for the HS kids We have a ton walk back in the room every year. I have already had 4 come to me and state they cant wait to get in the room.If you are tired of wrestling just set at home and watch tv. My son has taken days and went hunting,fishing and tons more. But we will never go to just watch. If you can go do it, why just set a watch.

Charles Bradford

Last edited by CWB; 02/12/15 12:55 AM.
Re: Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa [Re: CWB] #233679 02/12/15 03:08 PM
J
jerry davis Offline OP
OP Offline
J
We are not having loads of kids quitting. Maybe 2 or 3. Also Jeremy

But that many to me is a lot.
Almost all of 6u is done in February that's 1/4 of the kids.
We have 100 percent middle schoolers in middle school wrestling. It should improve so they don't have to come back to kids for great competition. I guess that is why I thought they quit.

As a coach I think the season could be shortened by two weeks. A few weeks later the national scene fires up again if you have kids who wrestle all year.

Re: Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa [Re: Coach Beck] #233686 02/12/15 05:38 PM
M
mhiggins Offline
M
I agree with Coach Beck and maybe it is for selfish reasons but I want to watch Nationals!
A Majority of the kids would be fine with ending the season early and the wrestlers that want more wrestling will have no problem finding tournaments to compete in.

Coach Higgins

Re: Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa [Re: mhiggins] #233701 02/13/15 04:01 AM
M
MRGRAPPLER Offline
M
Folks the folkstyle season is too long. I believe the state is doing the right thing and starting to focus more on the Freestyle and Greco fronts...but yet a lot to be done.

I was down at the NCAAs last year to watch my alma mater U of Minnesota finish 2nd ugh...but not after coaching all day, speeding to get back to OKC. Not ideal but I saw a lot of Maize, Winfield, and Young Gun families walking in right behind me.

If we shaved 3-4 weeks off of the Folkstyle season and incorporated 2-3 more quality freestyle and greco tournaments I believe we the greater community would benefit. This is process and takes time...instant results as we all know doesn't happen overnight in this sport. So a positive first step that in 3-4 fours year (with more to be done if this is truly phase one) we will be back in the Top 10 like we should. But a more balanced approach in all styles is what we need to better showcase the talent of Kansas wrestling on regional and national level.

Cheers,
Mustang Bilby
"Lace-up"
Re: Move state so we can take our kids to ncaa [Re: MRGRAPPLER] #233704 02/13/15 11:54 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Come and support the NAIA national tournament. It is in Topeka this year. Who knows - some year we may have our own D-I team. Wouldn't that be fun to have rival duals with the Oklahoma's, Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa(Iowa has 3 D-I programs).

Last edited by smokeycabin; 02/13/15 11:55 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 164 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)