Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: An idea to impove Kansas Kids wrestling [Re: John Taylor] #234482 03/02/15 06:22 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: John Taylor
The thing is they do not have to go to any other districts to try and qualify. They could just stay in their same district and try like they do now. Thus not costing anything extra, but it gives everyone the choice to go wherever they want. I don't believe cost is the biggest issue driving people away, but that is my opinion. I run a club and anyone that has money issues, the club makes sure they can compete no matter where they choose to go. If a kid wants to compete we make it happen no matter what.

The ability to do that exists currently!

Last edited by sportsfan02; 03/02/15 06:23 PM.

Re: An idea to impove Kansas Kids wrestling [Re: sportsfan02] #234548 03/03/15 11:55 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Develop more coaches, teachers and administrators (with a wrestling background) is just one great way to grow the sport and improve the skills of the youth and high school age student/athletes.

College Opportunities have doubled in Kansas in 11 years

College opportunities for student/athlete wrestlers has doubled in Kansas in the last 11 years. Demand is high in the state - as is evident of the addition of six - 4 year college programs and the addition of 2 more community college programs in recent years. I am not sure if the Kansas Wrestling Community is bucking national trends - but Kansas and its colleges and universities has to be one of the front runners for adding the most wrestling programs and educational opportunities over the last decade.

* Baker University
* Barton Community College
* Benedictine College
* Bethany College
* Colby Community College
* Fort Hays State University
* Kansas Wesleyan University
* Labette Community College
* Neosho County Community College
* Newman University
* Northwest Kansas Technical College
* Pratt Community College
* Ottawa University

Re: An idea to impove Kansas Kids wrestling [Re: smokeycabin] #234549 03/03/15 12:15 PM
M
MSvikings Offline
M
I don't like the idea of having open districts. My son has been left home on state weekend a couple of times. With not going to state motivated him for the next year. Not going to state every year makes you appreciate and value your time at state. Earning your way to anything is always better than having it given to you. I think kids are getting to the point where they expect to be given everything. Not earn want they want. Just getting to state is a fine goal if it is your first time going. After that you are at state to get your butt on the podium.

Josh Parker

Re: An idea to impove Kansas Kids wrestling [Re: MSvikings] #234582 03/03/15 03:29 PM
R
rcreek Offline
R
One of the things I love the most about wrestling is that it doesn't discriminate on socioeconomic status. It doesn't matter if you live in a cardboard box or if you live in a mansion, everyone has the same opportunities. If we set up the open qualification system, we are essentially saying "If you have the money, you can go to state" As a kid, there is NO WAY I'd have been able to travel to a second district tournament.

Also, isn't our kids programs supposed to be preparing them for high school competition? I've never known of a kid to go from a kids program, never wrestling in high school and go to college and wrestle, so why setup our qualifiers to a system that has limited connection to our purpose? In high school, you go to the regional that you live in, even if all 6 of the best wrestlers are in the regional.

Anyone can be beaten on any given day, therefore the 16 best are always at the state tournament.

Ricky Creek
Head Wrestling Coach
Sabetha Middle/High School
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 78 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,928
Posts250,350
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)