Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A Little Girl's Story #14540 03/11/03 03:38 AM
WrestlingDad02 Offline OP
OP Offline
2 years ago I was approached by my daughter, "Dad I want to wrestle". I told her that it was a tough sport and that she would have to wrestle against the boys. She said she still wanted to wrestle. So at the next practice I took both of my daughters to sign them up. They got their head gear and shoes on, then started to jog with the team. After 5 min of running I was approached by a gentleman. He said that the girls couldn't wrestle without USA cards. I told him that we would go ahead and pay him for them. Then what he told me was a bit disturbing, "Our club doesn't allow girls to wrestle". I couldn't believe what I had just heard. So without any conflict I told the girls that they couldn't wrestle. The coach told me later that they are affiliated with the High School and if one of the boys came up against a girl they were to forfeit. Which I soon came to realize this doesn't happen. After the season was over I decided that I wasn't going to allow a club to discriminate against my girls. So I decided go to a different club. My daughter was finally able to wrestle. Then that year towards the end of the season we attended a BBQ at a friend's house. While there we started talking and I made the comment that we were coming back to wrestle for our former club. Then out of the blue my daughter was discriminated against once again. A board member of the club says, "I don't think so we don't allow girls to wrestle". (In a very rude tone). Once again I let it go.
We go to Oklahoma to wrestle and we get to hear," Break her arms". That was something a 6 year old just couldn't understand. On numerous occasions she has been approached and told that this is a boy's sport. That is why I have decided to tell her story. This weekend at the Classic, my daughter was in the finals against a boy from our former club. The second she got put to her back the club went crazy. They were screaming as if they had just won the state title. That is not what bothered me though it was when we got home my daughter asked why everyone was against her and that a boy from a club that wears red and black singlets approached her right after the match and tells her that this a boys sport. All I ask is that everyone treat these girls like wrestlers. After all, that's what they are. What about the parents and coaches that hang crap on a boy that gets beat by a girl? It shouldn't be any different. I don't come home and tell her she got beat by a boy. It's time to realize that girls are becoming a big part of this sport and are very successful. To the mothers and fathers of the boys that have approached my daughter I hope that you are teaching your sons how to respect women. We are not looking for special treatment my daughter just wants to be treated like a wrestler and not someone trying to fit in. To all the girls that wrestle if you have any stories like this I would like to know how bad this subject really is. Feel free to email me at BriMisAnd7@sbcglobal.net. I would like to also say congratulations to Jake Leckliter for his win this weekend and another good match. See you guys soon.

Brian Andres

Re: A Little Girl's Story #14541 03/11/03 03:46 AM
A
attaboydad Offline
A
Wrestlingdad02,

My compliments for your daughter wrestling in the finals of the Classic. Its a very tough tournament and I agree with you that girls should be able to wrestle for what ever club they like. Also I have seen some girls that can stand in there with the best of them. I also have a daughter who is wrestling for our club and she enjoys it very much. Good luck at subs and districts.

Re: A Little Girl's Story #14542 03/11/03 04:51 AM
B
Bulldog Dad Offline
B
Hmmmmmmm...

Let's see:

Rosehill 12-08-01: Marissa Andres Champion
WWC Open 12-29-01: Marissa Andres Champion
Tulsa Nationals 01-19-02: Marissa Andres 6th
Salina TOC 01-26-02: Marissa Andres 3rd
Andale Invitational 02-16-02: Marissa Andres Champion
Maize Invitational 02-23-02: Marissa Andres Champion
Wichita Classic 03-02-02: Marissa Andres Champion
District II North Subs 03-16-02: Marissa Andres 3rd
(Against 8 year olds, no less)
Cliff Keen Kickoff 11-23-02: Marissa Andres 2nd
WWC Open 12-28-02: Marissa Andres Champion
Derby Open 01-04-03: Marissa Andres 2nd
(bumped up two weights)
Bulldog Classic 01-25-03: Marissa Andres Champion
(and 6yo Outstanding Wrestler)
Salina TOC 02-01-03: Marissa Andres Champion
Maize Open 03-01-02: Marissa Andres Champion
(again wrestling up a couple of weights)
Wichita Classic 03-08-03: Marissa Andres 2nd

This is definitely a little girl who should stay home and play with her Barbies.

All I can say is that if this resume doesn't shut the redneck pinheads up, apparently nothing will. There have been a lot of BOYS in her brackets that went home without any iron on their necks. Did you ever think that they root against her because they're tired of being spanked by her..LOL

Tough don't care how many X chromosomes you were born with...

We used to have a tough little wrestler in our club that had a MEAN baseball arm bar. The only wrestler I saw that wouldn't submit to the pain and go over was a GIRL. She and Robert wrestled many times, and she never gave him an inch.

Tell your daughter from me to ignore what idiots think, and to keep wrestling as long as she enjoys it. There will be a day when she has to give up bangin heads with the boys because she won't have the muscle mass to compete, but women's wrestling is the next big thing internationally.

Until then, Cher Chez La Femmes (watch out for the girls)

Re: A Little Girl's Story #14543 03/11/03 12:53 PM
N
new_at_this Offline
N
I'm glad someone finally brings this up. Not just Marissa, but for all the other girls in this sport who bust tail on a daily basis just to keep up with the boys. Girls are physically capable of things that boys can't do, especially when they are young. Girls most definetely have a place in this sport and if all of the sexist buttheads in this world can't figure that out, HOW SAD for them. All I would ask is judge the wrestler by the way that they wrestle, not by what gender, color, age, weight, ability or disability they may face. Isn't that the whole idea here anyway. After all, it is all for the kids, right?

brandee
Re: A Little Girl's Story #14544 03/11/03 01:44 PM
Mike Furches Offline
Brian, I had no intent of replying to his message but am glad that you included the post. I think all of us should remember that we are talking about kids wrestling and that one of the things we need to do is consider that kids are going to be kids. Whoever said; “that words will never hurt,” were liars. I have seen parents become inappropriate at times, and know that I myself have been. This reminds me of how we can sometimes say things that hurt kids. It is unbelievable that a club would have the courage to deny a girl the right to participate now a days. I don't know who that club is but I do know that if they were ever challenged on this they could be in some serious trouble. To deny a child a right to participate because of a macho attitude is ignorant and backwoods. It is the same type of attitude that condones hazing and is one that should be wiped away from our sport. At one time basketball used to only be a man's sport but look at it now, it has grown into a sport on its own merit, and so will women's wrestling. I think it is important to realize that women's wrestling can help raise the popularity of the sport and help the sport in general which will benefit all wrestlers. It is a sad commentary that some would be so ignorant. Tell your daughter that she needs to stick with it if she loves it and that there are many out here who are pulling for her. The truth of the matter is, that unless things change, a good girls wrestler has a better chance at a college scholarship in wrestling than does a good boy's wrestler. I know that after reading this post, the next time I see a girl wrestling, I will applaud her.

Re: A Little Girl's Story #14545 03/11/03 10:39 PM
S
stormraider Offline
S
Hey Brian

I just wanted to say thanks for another great finals match at the classic and let everyone know that last year at the classic Jake went home with 2nd and Marissa took home 1st. It is always a tough, good match between the two and not because she is a girl, but because she is a very outstanding wrestler and we take each match with her very seriously. I was excited to see them meet up in the finals again this year. I know there are some people that tease Jake when he has lost to her in the past, but I know that if you don't take her seriously on the mat, you will find yourself counting the lights in one of the meanest pin holds around. Just wanted to let everyone know that she is seated FIRST at subs, so get ready.

See ya later and best of luck on the mat,
Jeff Leckliter

Re: A Little Girl's Story #14546 03/12/03 01:08 AM
W
wrestlingmom Offline
W
Since I have a 6 and under wrestler I watched both the semi-final match that this young girl was in and the finals. The thing that struck me were the fan bases. In the semi-finals, if I remember correctly, she pinned her opponent pretty quickly. The boy is in tears and there is a lot of cheering. Same thing happened in the finals but the other way around.

How can a 6 year old not be intimidated by the FANS that are cheering so loud. And if you were standing around the mat #1 at either the semi's or the finals you know what I mean!

We all need to remember, not the fact that these are girls or boys but that they are 6 years old. It's bad enough when they lose but to have the fans going crazy in the stands because they just lost is not something that a 6 year old needs to deal with.

Sharon Henes
STA Wrestling - President Emeritus!
Re: A Little Girl's Story #14547 03/12/03 02:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First of all,congrats to your daughter,she is a heck of a wrestler,boy or girl and you should be very proud of her. As for some of your other remarks let's not get carried away,I coach baseball,football and am big supporter of kid's wrestling and will be the first to tell you girl's mature physically alot quicker than boy's so am sure they would hold an advantage but can also tell you that once you step onto that mat that girl,boy whatever it's gametime and if that means being more physical than a girl at an later age than so be it,and for the break her arm statement that is totally uncalled for and is sickning,but before you point the finger,do you approach your other fellow coaches about saying something along those same lines????? didn't think so,and I know for a fact that you have been present when things like that have went down during matches so if the shoe fits,wear it,also let's look at it from a young mans point of view,I think until they reach 10-12 range it's ok,but even then it's getting pretty physical out there as far as touching,etc....I think there are lines that should not be crossed,at that age young women should wrestle young women,period>>>>

Re: A Little Girl's Story #14548 03/12/03 04:27 AM
C
CATON Offline
C
I agree, it is very hard for my 12 year old to wrestle a girl. That is an awkward age for both and then to have them intermingled and touching areas that are to be off limits. Not to mention the fact that most parents try to teach their sons not to be aggressive towards girls. Being a woman, I am for women being allowed the same opportunities as men in sports, but wrestling is a contact sport like no other.
I hope no one takes this personally, but I just don't feel that my son should be faced with such a moral dilema at this stage in his life (teenage years).

Re: A Little Girl's Story #14549 03/12/03 04:30 AM
WrestlingDad02 Offline OP
OP Offline
Matburn1011

Wow, you have made a lot of bold statements, only to hide behind a name. I never once in my post directly pointed out any one person as you did in yours. I was telling a story. I would personally like to thank the country that I live in for the right that my daughter has to choose to wrestle as long as she feels fit, regardless how uncomfortable someone else feels about it. It's her right. Which obviously you don't believe in equal rights. I am glad that you are not the one who decides where lines are drawn, because we wouldn't have pairs figure skating or yell leaders and cheerleaders doing lifts. The second thing I would like to address is the fact that the club we wrestle with was never mentioned in my previous post. But I knew someone would like to drag them into it. Well let me tell you I have never heard any coach on our team tell someone to break something on another kid's body. I consider them as family and always will. I will be the first to tell you and everyone else if something was said in that manner. I would be the first to address it with the coach, if something like that was ever said. So Mr. Matburn it seems the only one here pointing fingers is you and just remember for every finger you point you have three pointing right back at you. I didn't want this to go where it has but I felt I needed to answer for myself and not have you answer for me. That is my right as well. All I ask is that my daughter is treated like a wrestler and not someone that has to fit in. So if you would like to discuss this matter further without taking away from the original subject, please email me.

Thanks again
Brian Andres

Re: A Little Girl's Story #14550 03/12/03 05:42 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
i saw a gal at the FHSU College open at about the 157lb weight class 2 years ago pin a guy in about 23 seconds...keep living a dream Marissa...discrimination hits all sorts of people...not just the females of wrestling...if you aren't a high caliber talent like myself...you are overlooked by your work ethic for your record by a college...i had a subpar high school record...but I can also say that once i made a collegg team...I didn't quit and outlasted some guys with more talent in their pinky...take care and God Bless!!!

Aaron Sweazy

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: A Little Girl's Story #14551 03/12/03 02:52 PM
B
Bulldog Dad Offline
B
CATON: Consider this... During a wrestling match, adolescent males are contacting each other in ways that would MORTIFY them in a different setting. And I can just about guarantee that male-male sexuality issues are a much bigger bugaboo for them than male-female issues.

I would agree with you about the issue of protective-towards-females conditioning...up to a point. When someone has you in a head-lock and is squeezing off your air, I would be willing to bet that their gender is not your immediate concern..

Bottom line: during hand-to-hand combat, sexual issues are not foremost in the mind.

Re: A Little Girl's Story #14552 03/12/03 03:13 PM
C
CATON Offline
C
Bulldog dad,

I pretty much agree. I know when my son is on the mat he is ok with it to some degree, but before the bout he seems a little bothered by it. Maybe I am to blame. I do know for a fact that my son will not do certain moves on a wrestler if the wrestler is a girl (out of respect) and I commend him for that.

I guess what I am trying to say is, I agree but I still have concerns. In fact, if my sons (I have a 7 year old also) are not wrestling the girls I am usually cheering them on. Being a female, I am torn between the two sides and can see the frustration on both sides.

I want to make it very clear that I do not condone any parent or coach who yells out for a wrestler to injure a wrestler in any way or form. I have seen it from another male wrestlers dad when he wrestled my son. I was furious!!!! We as the adults need to realize, wrestling at this age is to prepare for high school and college. For every bout you lose, you learn something from it to make you a better wrestler.

Julie Caton

Good luck to all the girls out there!

Re: A Little Girl's Story #14553 03/12/03 03:15 PM
B
Bulldog Dad Offline
B
Just a Postscript:

The whole issue of females competing in athletics is ages-old, and needs to be left in the past. Heck, I can remember when women weren't allowed to run in marathons becauses "medical experts" said their uteruses would "fall out"...LOL

Humans are humans...and either you have "Warrior" in your make-up, or you don't.

I hate to even mention the word gymnastics on this site, but anybody remember a little gal named Karrie Strug?

Thinking about her having the guts to stick that landing with a taped-up broken leg still makes me fall out.

The typical 14 yo Spartan girl of 3000 years ago would destroy the typical 14 yo boy today, and probably eat his liver as a victory celebration.

Our attitudes about boys/girls are all about social conditioning, and not based in reality.

Re: A Little Girl's Story #14554 03/12/03 04:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm sorry, but I vehemently disagree. We have girls in our club, and as long as we do, I will help them in any way I can. But deep down, I disagree with it. Boys and girls are NOT equal. Not until boys can get pregnant. When I was in the military, they rammed equality down your throat. It was tough to swallow when women had different rules for push-ups and didn't have to shave their heads. I couldn't help but notice a previous posting where a boy was commended for not using certain moves on girls. Kind of hypocritical isn't it? Is a girl just another wrestler or not? How do I teach my son to never be agressive towards females and then throw a cross-face on one on Saturday mornings? I adore my daughters, and I tell them that they should be proud of who they are. They are not better or worse than boys, but they are undeniably not the same. Can you imagine the outcry if 6 boys went out for a girls' volleyball team in high school, and spiked their way to a state championship? A previous post refered to gymnast Kari Strug. I notice she wasn't competing in the mens' events. Do you advocate olympic men & women gymnasts all in the same class? Why not? If girls' are no different, can I enter my son in a girls' wrestling tournament? For that matter, why are there girls' wrestling tournaments? Isn't that discrimination against boys?
It's not discrimination at all. It's common sense. Seperating girls and boys is not sexist or discriminatory. We should teach our kids to be confident in who they are.

Re: A Little Girl's Story #14555 03/12/03 05:01 PM
C
CATON Offline
C
In regards to my post where I commend my son for not using certain moves on a girl. I did not state that I agreed to the idea of girls wrestling boys. I meerly stated that I commend his actions in not doing certain moves that he felt were inappropriate. In latent terms I am proud of the fact that he can respect a girl on and off the mat. It may not be fair, but who is it not fair to? Therefore it is not hypocritcal. Being I female, I wish to keep those beliefs to myself, I am a strong believer in the right to ones opinion and do not wish to be judged for my personal opinion as so many are on this forum.
I too have often wondered what would happen if I entered him in a girls tournament but I would never put him through that situation. This will sound horrible coming from a female, but I told my son if he didn't make the football team he should try out for volleyball. I was given the "get real" look from my son.
To set the record stright the only thing I have agreed with is that at the 11+ age I do not agree with girls and boys wrestling each other and that boys would feel awkward in certain positions with other boys outside of wrestling.

As for cheering on the girls, what am I supoose to do? I am a female!!!

Re: A Little Girl's Story #14556 03/12/03 05:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
AMEN DDAD!!!

I have no problem with girls wrestling, but they do have an affair advantage. Moral Intimidation! We are telling our boys to open doors, do not hit, defend a girl if another boy is picking on her, etc. etc. etc. But now we are saying --- "Treat her like a boy!" This is a double standard.

Certain moves are not appropriate? What if that was the move that could have won a match against this "equal"? Thumbs up for handing the match to her because you didn't deem the move appropriate for a girl, but would have used it and won if it was a boy.

Someone mentioned Volleyball --- a boys' team is not offered at the High School level, but my son likes to play Volleyball (and there is a Men's team for the Olympics). What are my chances of getting him on the girl's team because it is not offered to boys? Slim to none.

Girls should be wrestling girls! Boys should be wrestling boys!

Re: A Little Girl's Story #14557 03/12/03 05:27 PM
C
CATON Offline
C
I am glad my son has not been put in a "losing" situation with a girl. He usually tech's them, otherwise, I don't know what he would have done!! He is already hard enough on himself after he loses to a boy where there wasn't such dilema!!!!

Re: A Little Girl's Story #14558 03/12/03 06:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Caton:
Don't get me wrong, I commend your son as well in that situation. I just don't think he should have to be in the situation to begin with. Outwardly, I will support the girls as avidly as I support the boys (for the girl's benefit) - but internally that doesn't mean I agree with it.

Re: A Little Girl's Story #14559 03/12/03 06:48 PM
C
CATON Offline
C
Well stated Ddad!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Chase, Coach Malay), 173 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)