Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dad wants your opinion on DQ in Wisconsin? #239555 02/16/16 09:13 PM
W
Wrestlin Scholar Offline OP
OP Offline
W
http://myracinecounty.com/?p=20854

A two time state champ got DQ'd for flagrant misconduct in Wisconsin this last weekend in the state series. This Ended his season and career. The kid was coming of a bad knee injury and Dad also thinks his opponent was attacking his knee. His dad posted this on You Tube looking for opinions.

Last edited by The Scholar; 02/16/16 09:15 PM.

"If pro is the opposite on con, then the opposite of progress is congress"
Re: Dad wants your opinion on DQ in Wisconsin? [Re: Wrestlin Scholar] #239558 02/16/16 09:46 PM
J
jwatkins Offline
J
Was he targeting his knee? I'm sure he felt when he was laying on the bottom when the wrestler in the green singlets knee came down on the back of his knee that he was, but its hard to say. However, I don't think the 2 time state champ was just pushing his opponent out of bounds as is claimed in the story. He was mad and definitely started mixing it up, close to throwing punches, but I also don't think he should of been disqualified for what I saw on the tape, maybe penalized for unnecessary roughness or unsportsmanlike conduct.

Last edited by jwatkins; 02/16/16 09:47 PM.
Re: Dad wants your opinion on DQ in Wisconsin? [Re: jwatkins] #239559 02/16/16 10:01 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
He wasn't pushing or snapping down. We do not know if he said anything as he was swinging it looked like open slaps to that head. I need to look up the DQ rule. I did not see targeting the knee. If he would have grab his ankle or toe and tried bending the knee. Or constant low single to the bad leg - did not see that either.

Re: Dad wants your opinion on DQ in Wisconsin? [Re: smokeycabin] #239561 02/16/16 10:48 PM
Cokeley Offline
The hand fighting, through out the match, by both was pretty fierce. I LOVED IT!!! There was one instance the top wrestler pounced on the back of the knee brace with his knee. He was also chopping on the elbow. The official did not signal for a flagrant or even an unsportsmanlike so how did that end up getting called??? He might have but that is difficult to see. I would have given an unsportsmanlike and let the match continue after lecturing them both about cleaning it up. It was not flagrant misconduct in my opinion.

In Kansas a lot of officials would not have allowed the hard collar ties. We don't let our kids wrestle down here. smile

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Dad wants your opinion on DQ in Wisconsin? [Re: Cokeley] #239566 02/17/16 12:18 AM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Hard wrestling as far as I'm concerned. Maybe an unnecessary but not a flagrant from what the video showed. Refs don't realize what there doing to a kid and possibly his future when they make that call.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Dad wants your opinion on DQ in Wisconsin? [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #239567 02/17/16 12:22 AM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
Doesn't look like the top guy was targeting the knee to me. It does look like the other wrestler lost his cool and was throwing borderline punches, but I do not believe it was enough for DQ. The only thing I can think of is that the official already warned them as he did appear to talk to both wrestlers earlier in the match. Either way if he is a 2xer he needs to be able to control his emotions, as others are going to do what they can to beat him.

Re: Dad wants your opinion on DQ in Wisconsin? [Re: L.Geyer] #239568 02/17/16 12:31 AM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Man, I can't wait for college wrestling!!!
We train our kids to be warriors. Period. And if they lose there cool, don't respond appropriately, don't conform to given refs judgement calls, the punishment do not fit the crime. Comes down to men bullying kids. Ughhh. Can't wait to be out from under kshsaa.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Dad wants your opinion on DQ in Wisconsin? [Re: L.Geyer] #239570 02/17/16 12:37 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
That was not hand fighting or heavy hands for a snap down or redirection. Look up hand fighting videos at colat.com or any other wrestling technique about hand fighting for wrestling. There was some good legal hand fighting - but what he got dinged for was not legal - not sure even connected solid. Needed a little better angle and slow motion.

Re: Dad wants your opinion on DQ in Wisconsin? [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #239571 02/17/16 12:38 AM
K
Kit Harris Offline
K
The ref did a poor job of cleaning it up early. He should have been giving lot of verbal warnings & maybe even an Unnecessary Roughness.

The goal is clean things up to prevent things escalating. You allow one wrestler to hit, the other is going to retaliate, usually harder, now you are in a situation where you have to make a major infraction call & you don't want that.

Re: Dad wants your opinion on DQ in Wisconsin? [Re: Kit Harris] #239574 02/17/16 02:36 AM
G
GregMann Offline
G
Appeared to me the issues began at about the 18 second mark. . .hard chops to the back of the head and neck by both wrestlers. . .very physical. The drop to the back of the knee was unnecessary and the arm chops should have been warned. The flurry going out-of-bounds was not pushing. . black singlet was on the verge of throwing punches. There were things done earlier in the clip by both wrestlers that should have been warned, even penalized. Imo, a DQ was not appropriate.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Dad wants your opinion on DQ in Wisconsin? [Re: Kit Harris] #239576 02/17/16 02:41 AM
G
GregMann Offline
G
Appeared to me the issues began at about the 18 second mark. . .hard chops to the back of the head and neck by both wrestlers. . .very physical. The drop to the back of the knee was unnecessary and the arm chops should have been warned. The flurry going out-of-bounds was not pushing. . black singlet was on the verge of throwing punches. There were things done earlier in the clip by both wrestlers that should have been warned, even penalized. Imo, a DQ was not appropriate.

sorry for the double post.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Dad wants your opinion on DQ in Wisconsin? [Re: GregMann] #239580 02/17/16 12:57 PM
Travis Phippen Offline
I agree that if the ref saw an issue he should have cleaned it up earlier. He did talk to them at one point, and it appeared to be about getting a little rough. I think the kid in the black singlet was frustrated, couldn't get that 2 on 1 working and then got taken down. Frankly, I don't care if someone is targeting your knee. If it hurts that bad don't wrestle. If someone can exploit it to win. Then they can do that. This is a tough sport.

Re: Dad wants your opinion on DQ in Wisconsin? [Re: Travis Phippen] #239615 02/18/16 02:38 AM
D
DannyB Offline
D
I think that ref needs to change to basketball! This is HS wrestling. Doesn't matter if he was a 3 time Champ. Things happen in tough matches! and I didn't see any punches landed

Make yourself better for the NEXT level
Re: Dad wants your opinion on DQ in Wisconsin? [Re: DannyB] #239638 02/19/16 03:21 AM
R
Rford Offline
R
It was flagrant to me. The ref appears to have talked to them early in the match at the center. When the kid got to his feet at the end he nails his opponent in the back of the head, and then continued to pound on him as they went out of bounds. He was slugging him or trying to at that point and had lost his composure. That all happened pretty fast right at the end. Match over isn't the wrong call. Hitting your opponent like that is by rule flagrant.

Could it be called unnecessary roughness or unsportsmanlike? Sure. That would have been the "safe" call to avoid being criticized for making a big call in a big match. The ref could have sent each wrestler to his coach, had a little visit with each, and restarted.

The kids leg was obviously messed up and he wasn't hardly able to hobble around on it. At one point it looks like it gives out and he's falls to the mat. Hope he heals up.

Re: Dad wants your opinion on DQ in Wisconsin? [Re: Rford] #239654 02/20/16 02:13 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: Rford
It was flagrant to me. The ref appears to have talked to them early in the match at the center. When the kid got to his feet at the end he nails his opponent in the back of the head, and then continued to pound on him as they went out of bounds. He was slugging him or trying to at that point and had lost his composure. That all happened pretty fast right at the end. Match over isn't the wrong call. Hitting your opponent like that is by rule flagrant.

Could it be called unnecessary roughness or unsportsmanlike? Sure. That would have been the "safe" call to avoid being criticized for making a big call in a big match. The ref could have sent each wrestler to his coach, had a little visit with each, and restarted.

The kids leg was obviously messed up and he wasn't hardly able to hobble around on it. At one point it looks like it gives out and he's falls to the mat. Hope he heals up.

You already have admitted that you are a part of the pussification effort! smile That was NOT flagrant. No way. A right cross and an upper cut would have been flagrant but not a little tough clubbing. Both kids were aggressive and we have ZERO idea what the official said when brought them to the center and talked.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Dad wants your opinion on DQ in Wisconsin? [Re: GregMann] #239660 02/20/16 02:53 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
I am with Geyer on this, I think he initially was looking to lace the leg or something, and then got awkward, not a driving knee down or anything. Also guy in the brace should have fired out like he did sooner instead of waiting.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Dad wants your opinion on DQ in Wisconsin? [Re: Cokeley] #239668 02/20/16 06:34 AM
Pelland Offline
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Originally Posted By: Rford

You already have admitted that you are a part of the pussification effort! smile That was NOT flagrant. No way. A right cross and an upper cut would have been flagrant but not a little tough clubbing. Both kids were aggressive and we have ZERO idea what the official said when brought them to the center and talked.

The official to me did take control of the match. He stopped it early, took them both to the center of the mat and had some words with them. His body language indicated to me that he was trying to calm the situation down. He put his hands on their backs and spoke to both of them and looked at both of them while he was talking. Additionally, right after the following whistle, the first time they tied up was pretty soft.

That said, I'm with Rford for the most part. When the kid gets out at 2:06, he clubs the head which is good physical wrestling, but when they are going out of bounds he basically bitch slapped the kid 3 times, and missed on the 4th, and he was swinging too. Had it been a one/two combination, maybe he gets away with it, but to follow it up with a third and fourth................. I'm sorry, but I think the ref made a good call.

Re: Dad wants your opinion on DQ in Wisconsin? [Re: Pelland] #239788 02/23/16 05:59 PM
coach craig Offline
Three things

1.These kids were at each other. No doubt. I think the kid in the gray singlet was surprised that he was in the match, so he laid it on when he got the chance on top. The Champ knew what he was doing when he was "hand fighting" after he got the escape. I am all for heavy hands but he was swinging when he got the opportunity.

2. The official did a poor job in this match. This was not a DQ. It was unsportsmanlike. He was not trying to set up a take down or move his opponent. He was clubbing because he was taken down.

3. The Champ had no business wrestling that match. He could not finish his take downs. Look at the first 2 on 1 to duck under at the first. Then watch the take down attempt where he gave up the score. He was not even close. The poor kid lost his stability on his knee. He did not have the motor to hit his go behind. I hope he heals and comes back in the college ranks.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 164 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)