Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Not fun anymore #240940 04/05/16 01:30 AM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline OP
OP Offline
I was on a college visit recently with my son and a Coach put things in perspective for me. I was never an elite kids club or high school wrestler and had never thought about his point of view. He was talking about his program and how is wasnt for the faint of heart and told a story about a sophmore that came to his office to quit, he said it wasnt fun anymore. Coach laughed and said it's not fun. It's never been fun. It's the hardest thing you will ever do. Wrestlers don't do it because it's fun. Wrestlers do it because that's what they are. That's what we do. Pretty profound from this Dad. My son fell in love with the coach from that moment on.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Not fun anymore [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #240941 04/05/16 01:43 AM
B
BigBlue6 Offline
B
That's why it's fun -- it's the hardest thing you'll ever do and once you've done it nothing else compares....

The opinions herein are Mr Bluel's alone and are not that of OSHS, Falcon Empire or any other entity
Re: Not fun anymore [Re: BigBlue6] #240945 04/05/16 12:31 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
It's fun if you truly love the sport, but some of the people that love the sport the most are the ones that don't have the most success, and thus rarely get opportunities to go on to the college wrestling world.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Not fun anymore [Re: Aaron Sweazy] #240947 04/05/16 12:39 PM
K
klein Offline
K
Every interview I see from Coach Cael Sanderson and the Penn State wrestlers is how much fun they have and how much they enjoy the sport.

Yes college wrestling is hard work and not for everyone. But there is plenty of fun and enjoyment to be had by all.

Re: Not fun anymore [Re: klein] #240950 04/05/16 02:07 PM
C
Coach Fitz Offline
C
In my opinion, "fun" is defined by what you value. For some kids, the only fun they have in this sport is when they get their hand raised. But what happens if all the sudden you're not winning as often, or things aren't as easy as they once were? I've seen a number of great high school wrestlers struggle to succeed at the next level, and they typically stop having "fun". Most guys struggle early on in a college wrestling room. The jump from high school to college is difficult, and it usually involves a big dip in how often you're hand is raised. If wrestling is only fun when you're winning, you will probably be miserable at the next level.

Yes, winning is fun. There is no better feeling in the world than getting your hand raised in victory. The question is, did you have fun doing what it took to make that victory possible? If you have fun during the process of getting better, putting in the time & training to make gains, building lifelong friendships based off of shared experience (and suffering), and learning the lessons that the sport has to offer, then the world of college wrestling is where you belong. If you find these things fun, and place more value on them instead of just getting your hand raised, then wrestling has found it's way into your bones and has shaped you as a person. These type of individuals are more likely to last in college because they've fallen in love with the process, and are having fun. Also, in the end these individuals find themselves getting their hand raised more often. Icing on the cake!

Coach Klein is right, Coach Sanderson and the Penn State wrestlers always seem to be having fun. It's my guess that this is a result of Cael and his staff recruiting guys with a very similar definition of "fun".

Conor J. Fitzgerald
OSHS Head Coach
cfitzgeraldos@olatheschools.org
Re: Not fun anymore [Re: Coach Fitz] #240952 04/05/16 03:55 PM
L
Lars Lueders Offline
L
I think a lot of it has to do with the reasons a person decided to become committed to wrestling in the first place. A lot of those Penn State guys have fun because they love wrestling for the process and not just the outcome. In order to have fun wrestling in college I truly believe you have to enjoy the process of training, being around your teammates, learning new things, etc. If you only care about winning or a scholarship - then no doubt..wrestling isn't fun. Plus - I do believe they need coaches that promote having fun with the process. A positive coach can really make the difference on an athlete's outlook on the sport.

Re: Not fun anymore [Re: Lars Lueders] #240958 04/05/16 09:07 PM
OP Offline
Interesting responses. Especially definition of "the process". The "process" has different definitions by Lars and fitz. I would guess my oldest son is still in wrestling due to his commitment to his teammates and his coaches as well as his abnormal level of competing as well as he's not bad at the sport. He's not still involved in wrestling because he loves cutting weight. He's not still involved in wrestling because his body is in pain to the touch at the end of the season. He definitely not still involved in wrestling due to the sacrifice all serious wrestlers have to make in high school compared to all other sports. All those things sound like great fun and I'm sure you do actually know kids that enjoy that part of the "process" but 90/100 or more wrestlers would in my opinion would tell you that part of the "process" sucks. The rest of the "process" is part of who the wrestler is part of why they do the part of the "process" that sucks. The rest of the "process" is the same with all sports! What separates wrestling from other high school sports is what I was referring to as this is a wrestling forum and it was nice to hear a Coach validate that and my wrestler appreciated it.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Not fun anymore [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #240959 04/05/16 10:38 PM
C
Coach Fitz Offline
C
I wasn't trying to disagree with what the coach told your son - or offend in anyway. I apologize if that's how it came off. I was just touching on my perspective of college wrestling and the reasons kids decide it's no longer fun. You're absolutely right, there's certainly parts of the process that suck. Somehow, wrestlers endure the pain - and strangely enough, it's the toughest aspects of being a competitor that I miss most! Best of luck to your son in his college career. Enjoy it, cause it's over in a blink.

Conor J. Fitzgerald
OSHS Head Coach
cfitzgeraldos@olatheschools.org
Re: Not fun anymore [Re: Coach Fitz] #240960 04/05/16 10:45 PM
OP Offline
I hear ya Coach, just felt like things were taken out of perspective, and wrestling fans are very protective and loyal to our sport. Didn't want to come out like I was bashing wrestling. Couldn't imagine life without it. Love it and live it. Thank you sir.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Not fun anymore [Re: Coach Fitz] #240964 04/06/16 12:59 AM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Originally Posted By: CoachFitzJr
In my opinion, "fun" is defined by what you value. For some kids, the only fun they have in this sport is when they get their hand raised. But what happens if all the sudden you're not winning as often, or things aren't as easy as they once were? I've seen a number of great high school wrestlers struggle to succeed at the next level, and they typically stop having "fun". Most guys struggle early on in a college wrestling room. The jump from high school to college is difficult, and it usually involves a big dip in how often you're hand is raised. If wrestling is only fun when you're winning, you will probably be miserable at the next level.

Yes, winning is fun. There is no better feeling in the world than getting your hand raised in victory. The question is, did you have fun doing what it took to make that victory possible? If you have fun during the process of getting better, putting in the time & training to make gains, building lifelong friendships based off of shared experience (and suffering), and learning the lessons that the sport has to offer, then the world of college wrestling is where you belong. If you find these things fun, and place more value on them instead of just getting your hand raised, then wrestling has found it's way into your bones and has shaped you as a person. These type of individuals are more likely to last in college because they've fallen in love with the process, and are having fun. Also, in the end these individuals find themselves getting their hand raised more often. Icing on the cake!

Coach Klein is right, Coach Sanderson and the Penn State wrestlers always seem to be having fun. It's my guess that this is a result of Cael and his staff recruiting guys with a very similar definition of "fun".

Conor, I think that is an excellent take and a very good description of the jump from high school to college wrestling even for wrestlers who have had a tremendous amount of success in high school.

I also think there are some other aspects of college life that can factor into this for many athletes in college.

College wrestling like other college sports is not for everyone but it is great for the college athletes who it is for.

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Re: Not fun anymore [Re: Husker Fan] #240965 04/06/16 01:39 AM
W
wrestlingdad37 Offline
W
Cavanaugh, if your boy doesn't like having fun send him over my way I've got plenty of weeds that need to be pulled! But on a serious note I don't understand his reasoning to due something because he dislikes it? Seems like faulty logic to me!

Re: Not fun anymore [Re: wrestlingdad37] #240967 04/06/16 02:32 AM
OP Offline
I'm sure your boy could teach him a thing or 2

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Not fun anymore [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #240968 04/06/16 02:49 AM
L
Lars Lueders Offline
L
The process I was talking about isn't cutting weight itself really - it's doing things that most humans wouldn't do with a bunch of guys that are as dedicated as you are. I was agreeing with you. To me - working my butt and sacrificing was fun in college. Not the conventional "fun" that people think of that aren't wrestlers - but never the less - I enjoyed it because I knew I was doing something beyond the norm. That's the process I'm talking about. The process wasn't "fun" - but you do enjoy it and you don't quit because you have pride in the process. Anyway - people are going to enjoy wrestling for different reasons and I realize that.

Re: Not fun anymore [Re: Lars Lueders] #240969 04/06/16 03:01 AM
W
wrestlingdad37 Offline
W
Your right Cavanaugh my boy could teach him a thing or two.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 170 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)