Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: State Tournament Survey Results [Re: smokeycabin] #244308 02/10/17 03:16 PM
Cokeley Offline
This is it for me on this thread.

Sean McCarthy
smokeycabin@hotmail.com
Resignation from the KCWF

KCWF Wrestling Committee and the USA WKS Wrestling Board,

At this time I am stepping down as the Chairman of the KCWF Committee for personal reasons, other reasons and health reasons. The Kansas College Wrestling Fund Committee can come up with their ideas and proposals about its future an none future and make the final recommendation to the USA WKS Board.

Here is a suggestion:

Currently after the 5th year - the KCWF has an estimated $42,700 in the Hutchinson Credit Union and I have $375.00 in cash and a $40.00 check that I need to mail Mike & Kathy Juby (KCWF Treasure) from the KWCA Coaches Clinic and USA WKS State Body Meeting in Salina a few weeks ago. So the total funds on hand would be $43,125 plus any left over Kansas College promotional materials: hats, T-shirt, water bottles, etc. (I can give those to any USA WKS Board Member).

I am proposing returning the $11,500 in KCWF expenses paid out by the USAWKS (Over the last 5 years) and Returning those funds to their general fund. So $43,125 - $11,500 (the Amount USA WKS Gets back) = $31,125 to give to the 16 or 13 colleges. If the committee recommended to give the remaining funds to the 13 Colleges that amount would total $2,471.15 for each college. If the Committee would recommend giving it to 16 colleges that amount would be $2,007.15. It is my understanding USA Wrestling Kansas is going to have to cut back on things because of expected budget short falls and I total understand budget & cut backs - so by giving back the $11,500 that should help them get started on the process to fill the budget gaps.

This is just one idea and I can drop off the remaining promotional materials , KCWF banners and boards at any of the USA Wrestling Board members house.

It has been my pleasure and a lot of fun helping the Kansas College Wrestling Programs and USA Wrestling Kansas Kids.

Thank you,

Sean McCarthy

(913) 579-1835 - cell

Sean McCarthy,

I am on the KCWF board in the role of Vice Chairman. In as much that I am second in command and you, the President, have submitted your resignation in the form of an email, I accept said resignation. As acting President now, I accept the resignation submitted by Dan Harris as well. The board and all of the Kansas wrestling family appreciate the tireless efforts and many hours of time donated to raise funds for the growing number of secondary schools offering wrestling in Kansas. I think I can speak for everyone when I say THANK YOU and that we appreciate it. Good luck in any and all future endeavors.

Best Regards,

Will Cokeley - Acting President
KCWF Board Member

Last edited by Cokeley; 02/10/17 03:19 PM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: State Tournament Survey Results [Re: Cokeley] #244309 02/10/17 03:40 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
How come my earlier post keep dissappearing?

#244291 - Yesterday at 11:22 PM 2-9-17 – did not make sense this post appeared 4 days after the tournament

Re: Thunder/Timberwolf OPEN MOVED- IMPORTANT [Re: JB Harding]

Cokeley

Loc: Lawrence, KS Originally Posted By: JB Harding
DeSoto tournament weigh ins are acceptable but will have to be entered per instructions emailed out Saturday afternoon. Your Friday night weigh in WILL BE ACCEPTED!

This is an excellent opportunity for additional mat time!

Just a question here. Is the 24 hour for weigh ins not a rule anymore? Not starting a fight just wondering if something has changed. Thanks for you help on this subject.

Rule 4‐5‐1
All sanctioned tournaments will
hold a weigh‐in. The weigh‐in
procedures shall be
&
determined by the tournament director. All participants shall
have the opportunity
Rule 4‐5‐3
to weigh‐in at the same time. No weigh‐in shall be prior to t
wenty four (24) hours
before the published tournament s
tart time. However, a novice
only tournament
wrestled on Sunday may conduct it
s weigh‐in up to forty‐eight (
48) hours before
the published tournament start t
ime Wrestlers shall wear a co
mpetition style
singlet at weigh‐in.

Due to last minute changes in planning I made a decision based on published plans. In general I would say the weigh in rule of 24 hours should be strictly adhered to but I think we have to act in the best interest of the "customers" when published plans are changed at the last minute.

Originally Posted By: JB Harding
DeSoto tournament weigh ins are acceptable but will have to be entered per instructions emailed out Saturday afternoon. Your Friday night weigh in WILL BE ACCEPTED!

Just a question here. Is the 24 hour for weigh ins not a rule anymore? Not starting a fight just wondering if something has changed. Thanks for you help on this subject.

Rule 4‐5‐1
hold a weigh‐in. The weigh‐in
procedures shall be
&
have the opportunity
Rule 4‐5‐3
to weigh‐in at the same time. No weigh‐in shall be prior to t
wenty four (24) hours
only tournament
s weigh‐in up to forty‐eight (
48) hours before
mpetition style
singlet at weigh‐in.

Due to last minute changes in planning I made a decision based on published plans. In general I would say the weigh in rule of 24 hours should be strictly adhered to but I think we have to act in the best interest of the "customers" when published plans are changed at the last minute.

“TRANSPARENCY Smokey... IS there something you want to accuse us of? You have been bald face lying on other threads, care to take a shot at me on this one too? Keep pushing me and the thread from our text exchange will be published along with the chain of events that led to the dissolving of the KCWF.”

Not sure about the above post but mine from this morning disappeared.

"TRANSPARENCY Smokey... IS there something you want to accuse us of? You have been bald face lying on other threads, care to take a shot at me on this one too? Keep pushing me and the thread from our text exchange will be published along with the chain of events that led to the dissolving of the KCWF."

I promise The Kansas College Wrestling Fund will reappear without the current Vice Chairman involved and it may have a different name - It may be in a different form. I and other committee members decided to not volunteer working 400 to 500 hours per year (in total 800-1,000 per year or 2 people) raising funds for the Kansas colleges - When the Vice Chairman was sending emails like I will kick the KCWF Committee's ass (12 or 13 members and their constituents) and raise funds solely for Ft Hays ( I can get the exact email and date if you need to refresh your memory). In addition to that the Vice Chairman said something to the effect that he would send every Junior college potential recruit to out of state Junior Colleges and not promote Kansas schools. - Also, there is an exact email from the Junior college rant – by Will. The Will Cokeley Bylaws are much different than the USA KS Wrestling Bylaws as well as our parent organizations bylaws USA Wrestling National and KSHSAA. I am sure the funds still being raised and in the KCWF fund balance of the current KCWF will be distributed per the parameters set forth by the KCWF Committee and approved by the USA Wrestling KS Board. It may be a long road establishing a Kansas Collegiate Wrestling Fund and an uphill battle - with the right people for the right reasons it will be worth it. It is very counter productive
I just want our efforts to help provide opportunities to current and future student/athletes. I will devote time to ensure the Kansas Colleges continue to have academic and athletic wrestling opportunities in Kansas.

Sean McCarthy
(913) 579-1835
smokeycabin@hotmail.com

Welcome smokeycabin. [Log out] ↓Kansas Wrestling » Forums » General Discussion » Kids Folkstyle » Thunder/Timberwolf OPEN MOVED- IMPORTANT
Forum List My Stuff User List Calendar Active Topics Search FAQ

Page 2 of 2 <
New Reply

Topic Options

#244279 - Yesterday at 06:44 PM Re: Thunder/Timberwolf OPEN MOVED- IMPORTANT [Re: smokeycabin]

Cokeley

Loc: Lawrence, KS Originally Posted By: smokeycabin
I did not see one wrestler from KC Storm or KC Thunder even entered in their own co-hosted Kids tournament - another thing that makes me go Hum.

Well Hum all you need to! Or sleep easier (you should try it instead of posting all hours of the nights and mornings) as ALL of the kids that wrestle 6,8,10,12, and 14 age groups from KC Storm were signed up. KC Storm is the USA Wrestling Club for the SJA Thunder Wrestlers who sign up under the high school team sign up program. Some will wrestle the kids series and some will wrestle FS/GR. I know that you know everything so this should come as no surprise to you, we don't have a wrestling room at SJA and not enough gym space for practice mats so we don't host a kids club as we have for the past 10 years. There you go!

Edited by Cokeley (Yesterday at 06:45 PM)

Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify Email Post

#244282 - Yesterday at 07:43 PM Re: Thunder/Timberwolf OPEN MOVED- IMPORTANT [Re: Cokeley]

smokeycabin

Loc: Shawnee Kansas Besides Ft Hays what else do you do with your profits from your tournaments.
As far a Bylaws they are pretty darn good - there are a few sections you might want to read more thoroughly.

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify Email Post

#244284 - Yesterday at 09:06 PM Re: Thunder/Timberwolf OPEN MOVED- IMPORTANT [Re: smokeycabin]

JB Harding

Posts: 2 DeSoto tournament weigh ins are acceptable but will have to be entered per instructions emailed out Saturday afternoon. Your Friday night weigh in WILL BE ACCEPTED!

Rule 4&#8208;5&#8208;1
hold a weigh&#8208;in. The weigh&#8208;in
procedures shall be
&
have the opportunity
Rule 4&#8208;5&#8208;3
to weigh&#8208;in at the same time. No weigh&#8208;in shall be prior to t
wenty four (24) hours
only tournament
s weigh&#8208;in up to forty&#8208;eight (
48) hours before
mpetition style
singlet at weigh&#8208;in.

#244289 - Yesterday at 10:15 PM Re: Thunder/Timberwolf OPEN MOVED- IMPORTANT [Re: smokeycabin]

Cokeley

Loc: Lawrence, KS Originally Posted By: smokeycabin
Besides Ft Hays what else do you do with your profits from your tournaments.
As far a Bylaws they are pretty darn good - there are a few sections you might want to read more thoroughly.

Since its inception, the Thunder Open & Donna Woofter financials work like this:

Purchases: Medals, food, supplies
Expenses: Officials, Trackwrestling fees, sanction
Gross income from Admissions, Entry Fees, Concessions, Raffles

Net profit:
Donation to FHSU or KCWF (a thing of the past thanks to you)
Travel expenses for SJA Thunder Wrestling
Wrestling room supplies
Mats
Summer wrestling assistance
Education
Coaches fees & pay
Support of wrestlers outside of SJA
Other assistance
Wrestling room upgrades
Donna Woofter Scholarship for Summer Wrestling
Tournament help pay to clubs who assisted

TRANSPARENCY Smokey... IS there something you want to accuse us of? You have been bald face lying on other threads, care to take a shot at me on this one too? Keep pushing me and the thread from our text exchange will be published along with the chain of events that led to the dissolving of the KCWF.

#244291 - Yesterday at 11:22 PM Re: Thunder/Timberwolf OPEN MOVED- IMPORTANT [Re: JB Harding]

Cokeley

Loc: Lawrence, KS Originally Posted By: JB Harding

Rule 4&#8208;5&#8208;1
hold a weigh&#8208;in. The weigh&#8208;in
procedures shall be
&
have the opportunity
Rule 4&#8208;5&#8208;3
to weigh&#8208;in at the same time. No weigh&#8208;in shall be prior to t
wenty four (24) hours
only tournament
s weigh&#8208;in up to forty&#8208;eight (
48) hours before
mpetition style
singlet at weigh&#8208;in.

Re: State Tournament Survey Results [Re: smokeycabin] #244314 02/10/17 04:06 PM
J
jeremy sekavec Offline
J
Here is my two cents. We have done this survey twice now. Suggestions have been made. Some have been followed. Others have not been followed. If we start worrying about what national level wants, are we really doing what is right for these kids?
By looking at the survey, it seems moving the state tournament to the second week of march would not be a bad idea. Make the first week in march district. But here is the kicker on that. You have Hays and the wichita classic every year on that weekend. Are we going to do away with these? If you make 6-10 under a different tournament when will it be? The last two weekends in February is high school regionals and state. Are we going to compete against them? Isn't that defeating the purpose of kids wrestling?
I have ran the numbers and posted them many times on the length of the season. We are just about in the middle of everyone around us. If we push the season to end in the first of march, we will have tournaments starting at the end of november. You have the crowd that says we will put a cap on where you can not start a tournament before the first weekend in december. Ok fine but here is the catch. You have Monster mash and preseason nationals and such starting the first weekend of November. Are you going to say its ok to attend those tournaments but not local tournaments. How will that look to the state body members.
One thing that was not mention on the survey and i wish it was, is getting junior high seasons at the same time of the year. Yes it is a league decision on when to have it, but shouldn't the BoD push to get this in line throughout the state?
Another thing that really jumped out to me is the district size question. You have 29% i believe saying it should matter most. That leaves 71% disagreeing with that. This is becoming a major issue. Travel is becoming a big issue. You will have the hard liners who say oh if they really are into travel does not matter. Ok to a point you are correct. But if we want to encourage more interest in the sport, travel HAS to be considered.
Finally, the question of how the money is spent. I have no problems helping kids with cost. But i would rather see it spent on kids that truly can not afford to wrestle than on helping special dual teams. Now if there is a kid who can not afford it and he made the team, then fine i have no problem with that. I would rather see the money go to helping getting more kids involved in the sport than special interests at the end of the season. Just my personal opinion on that one.
Just my two cents.

Re: State Tournament Survey Results [Re: jeremy sekavec] #244320 02/10/17 05:31 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
If it looks like a duck, flys like a duck, sounds like a duck - it's probably a duck.

True or False:

So this is not the cooperation the KCWF committee had been hoping for from Mr. Cokeley over the last 5 – 6 years.

Comment below from our Freestyle/Greco Director Fall of 2016 and at the time Vice Chairman of the KCWf

"I will send every quality kid from KS to Iowa for a jr college opportunity."

Reply|
Thu 5/17/2012, 9:21 PM
wcokeley@silgancontainers.com
You forwarded this message on 2/10/2017 6:13 PM

Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 16:09:19 +0000

“If you want me to step off the committee and go on a mission to raise funds for FHSU ONLY then just say so and I will kick your committee’s ass to the curb and show you how to get a fully funded program. I will campaign DIRECTLY against your effort and your $20,000 will turn into chump change. I give WAY more time and money to this sport than 95% of those involved. I am not trying to pick a fight with you Sean.”

"TRANSPARENCY Smokey... IS there something you want to accuse us of? You have been bald face lying on other threads, care to take a shot at me on this one too? Keep pushing me and the thread from our text exchange will be published along with the chain of events that led to the dissolving of the KCWF."

I promise The Kansas College Wrestling Fund will reappear without the current Vice Chairman involved and it may have a different name - It may be in a different form. I and other committee members decided to not volunteer working 400 to 500 hours per year (in total 800-1,000 per year or 2 people) raising funds for the Kansas colleges - When the Vice Chairman was sending emails like I will kick the KCWF Committee's ass (12 or 13 members and their constituents) and raise funds solely for Ft Hays ( I can get the exact email and date if you need to refresh your memory). In addition to that the Vice Chairman said something to the effect that he would send every Junior college potential recruit to out of state Junior Colleges and not promote Kansas schools. - Also, there is an exact email from the Junior college rant – by Will. The Will Cokeley Bylaws are much different than the USA KS Wrestling Bylaws as well as our parent organizations bylaws USA Wrestling National and KSHSAA. I am sure the funds still being raised and in the KCWF fund balance of the current KCWF will be distributed per the parameters set forth by the KCWF Committee and approved by the USA Wrestling KS Board. It may be a long road establishing a Kansas Collegiate Wrestling Fund and an uphill battle - with the right people for the right reasons it will be worth it. It is very counter productive having our State Freestyle/Greco Director promoting programs for other states and putting a black eye on our state organization. When I hear other state leaders who is that guy getting kicked out of tournaments around the country - I just say that is our State Freestyle/Greco Director - their response "really"?
I just want our efforts to help provide opportunities to current and future student/athletes. I will devote time to ensure the Kansas Colleges continue to have academic and athletic wrestling opportunities in Kansas. I feel obligated to help these programs grow. It is an exciting time - not many other states can boast adding so many college opportunities for student/athletes and a very significant investment at our great institutions around the state.

Stay true to the mission:

MISSION STATEMENT OF KANSAS COLLEGE WRESTLING FUND:

It is the mission of the Kansas College Wrestling Fund to provide financial support for Kansas colleges and universities with active college wrestling programs. This financial support to Kansas colleges and universities will help provide wrestling, academic and eventual career opportunities for student athlete wrestlers in the State of Kansas.

Sean McCarthy
(913) 579-1835
smokeycabin@hotmail.com

Last edited by smokeycabin; 02/10/17 08:40 PM.
Re: State Tournament Survey Results [Re: smokeycabin] #244334 02/11/17 01:13 AM
Mike Juby Offline OP
OP Offline
I am locking this topic and will start a new one. The purpose of the topic was to present the survey results and solicit feedback on the survey and plans for the state championships, but it has gone off-topic and turned into a debate on the Kansas College Wrestling Fund. The KCWF, and college funding in general, are appropriate subjects, but not on this topic.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 187 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)