Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rules Changes College vs High School #246390 04/17/17 12:32 AM
C
Coach Buck Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I must commend the NCAA on the rule changes they have made in the sport of wrestling over the last several years. They have tried to think outside the box and make changes to the sport and make it more fan friendly. In the past few years they have extended the out of bounds, and made a 4 point near fall just to name a few. Next year they plan to change the takedown criteria. If you have not seen the new proposed rules for next season check them out here.
http://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/artic...iffer-penalties
And what has this all done for college wrestling? They have set new attendance records all over the country!

What has the NFHS done in the past couple of years to help high school wrestling? Made sure there is no tape on headgear, and made sure shoe laces are secured to the shoe not just taped together.

I think it is time for the NFHS to get with the program and align more closely with the NCAA and make high school wrestling more exiting!

Re: Rules Changes College vs High School [Re: Coach Buck] #246392 04/17/17 01:50 AM
K
Kit Harris Offline
K
NCAA rules have definitely all been a plus. And they definitely think outside the box.

While I have always felt you have to be careful not to ALWAYS be making changes as it can only confuse many fans & even wrestlers competing. But I feel most every rule change/addition has been a positive.

I'm still in a "jury still out" mode with the drop down stall mandatory count rule. But it's not been that bad. And it definitely has improved working up.

Re: Rules Changes College vs High School [Re: Kit Harris] #246426 04/19/17 02:00 AM
C
CWB Offline
C
I like the one for the guys that just set on there back holding a leg. Every one has said it for years. Stay off your back. Now days it seems like the thing to do. Grab a leg and just hold on for the ride. No matter how close you are to getting pinned.

Re: Rules Changes College vs High School [Re: CWB] #246448 04/20/17 01:50 PM
C
Coach Buck Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I am not saying I love every change the NCAA has made, but I do love that they are making progressive changes to improve collegiate wresting. I believe this is one reason we are seeing such large crowds at college wrestling events.

It is time for the NFHS to follow suit and make some real changes to improve high school wrestling. Does it really matter if the shoe laces are secured to the shoes or just taped? The purpose was to keep them tied.

Re: Rules Changes College vs High School [Re: Coach Buck] #246449 04/20/17 04:16 PM
K
Kit Harris Offline
K
NF really NEEDS to adopt the college out-of-bounds rules! That one rule has had the most impact on wrestling in the last decade or so of any other rule change.......a positive impact. It is MUCH easier to officiate & puts earned points on the board. It opens up matches. It lessens stoppages.

.....So many benefits to this rule change.

Re: Rules Changes College vs High School [Re: Kit Harris] #246452 04/21/17 01:03 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
Originally Posted By: Kit Harris
NF really NEEDS to adopt the college out-of-bounds rules! That one rule has had the most impact on wrestling in the last decade or so of any other rule change.......a positive impact. It is MUCH easier to officiate & puts earned points on the board. It opens up matches. It lessens stoppages.

I agree it would be nice to see the college out of bounds rule into the highschool level, but the reality is this will not work in many cases due to the room for mats in a highschool gyms. Many highschool tournaments have mats rolled up the wall during their tournaments which would eliminate the ability to achieve the takedown or wrestle out of bounds. I do think they need to use the out of bounds stall call more though. Too many wrestlers back to the edge of the mat and scramble out of bounds when out of position.

Just my opinion

Re: Rules Changes College vs High School [Re: L.Geyer] #246454 04/21/17 02:18 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: L.Geyer
Originally Posted By: Kit Harris

I agree it would be nice to see the college out of bounds rule into the highschool level, but the reality is this will not work in many cases due to the room for mats in a highschool gyms. Many highschool tournaments have mats rolled up the wall during their tournaments which would eliminate the ability to achieve the takedown or wrestle out of bounds.

Bingo! Beyond the landing area is often a wall, concrete floor or a gaggle of cheerleaders! It would in effect, put some schools out of the tournament business or at the very least reduce the size of tournaments schools could hold.

Re: Rules Changes College vs High School [Re: sportsfan02] #246455 04/21/17 02:30 PM
R
rccokeley Offline
R
Wrestling in college often leaves the mat and onto the hardwood or concrete floor as well. When that happens the referee stops the match immediately. If points are scored before action leaves the mat then the referee awards those points. You can still implement college out of bounds at high school tournaments. It has more to do with referee than the size of the wrestling area, imo.

Re: Rules Changes College vs High School [Re: rccokeley] #246464 04/23/17 03:30 PM
P
Pondbear Offline
P
Totally agree with Kit, I brought this up at regional seeding meeting and no one disagreed. Even the refs Ive talked to, including one I work with, all want the rule change because it improves action/excitement and it makes it easier on them. It also prepares guys for the next level of competition. Which in the end is the ultimate goal, making wrestling a route for post secondary education. Poor excuse in my opinion as far as size of gym ect. I don't think the 4 point is as necessary as out of bounds rule change. Just my opinions.

Do not fear failure. Not failure, but low aim is the crime..... Bruce Lee
Re: Rules Changes College vs High School [Re: Pondbear] #246466 04/24/17 12:29 AM
K
Kit Harris Offline
K
Most of the edge of the mat wrestling is not fly-off-the-mat type wrestling that happens. Most is simple action on the lines that isn't going anywhere, but 1 foot steps out for each wrestler so action is stopped. When if it would have been allowed to continue, points might have happened.

As far as safety, college tournament set-ups are not much different. And the wrestlers are lot bigger, way more explosive, way stronger, faster, etc....yet the rule change has not only worked, but ask ANYONE, and they will tell you it's the best change ever made.

The four corners of EVERY mat have plenty of space, it's only SOME of the wrestling area that is in question of safety. And when wrestling is at risk of entering this area....simply stop the match. This risk is no different now with the current out of bounds rules.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 144 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)