Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
KC Star High School Wrestling News - OMG #249356 02/25/18 01:58 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you - KC Star High School Wrestling News - OMG

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/high-school/article202028449.html

Garraway’s win clinches Kansas state wrestling title for Olathe North
BY DAVE MCQUEEN
dmcqueen@kcstar.com

O LINKEDIN
O GOOGLE+
O PINTEREST
O REDDIT
O PRINT
O ORDER REPRINT OF THIS STORY
February 24, 2018 09:18 PM
PARK CITY, KAN.
Terrell Garraway didn’t dwell on his anchorman duties for Olathe North’s wrestling team Saturday night. When he took the mat for the Class 6A 170-pound weight class final, the Eagles were 2.5 points shy of winning the team title.
No problem.
Garraway came through, leading from start to finish in a 5-0 decision over Brycen Schroeder of Haysville Campus in one of the final matches of Kansas Class 5A-6A state wrestling tournament at Hartman Arena. Garraway’s victory gave Olathe North 151 team points, pushing the Eagles ahead of Topeka Washburn Rural’s 149.5.
ADVERTISING
inRead invented by Teads
It also completed a four-for-four run on individual champions.
“If we were within 10, I thought we could win,” Olathe North coach Josh Carroll said. “And it came true.”
Olathe North led after the first day, but its advantage dwindled during Saturday’s early rounds. The Eagles began the championship round down 4.5 points and fell behind by 10 before their first championship match.
Keegan Slyter claimed the first one when he pinned Jose Andrade of Wichita Southeast in the 120-pound final.
The next two were a little more hairy: Jevon Parrish rallied in the third period for a 6-5 decision over Asiel Flores of Wichita South in the Class 6A 138 final. In the 145 title match, Javier Contreras trailed until scoring a takedown as the third period ended for a 6-4 decision over Malachi Karibo of Wichita South.
“Parrish and Contreras had to battle for a state title, and they did,” Carroll said. “I was sweating a lot.”
Garraway, who became a two-time state champ along with Parrish, provided the no-sweat finale. He scored a takedown in the opening seconds and rode his opponent to the finish.
“I like to stay relaxed,” Garraway said. “When I’m relaxed I wrestle more fluid. Stressing myself out wasn’t going to help. ”
Olathe North, which finished fourth last season, is the first 6A team champ from the Kansas City area since St. Thomas Aquinas in 2005. The Eagles have won seven consecutive Sunflower League crowns, but they had never won a state title before.
“It’s a heck of a feeling,” Carroll said. “These kids deserve it.”
Real hard for Duhart
Cordel Duhart started the celebration of his second state championship by fake-pinning Blue Valley Southwest coach Cody Parks to the mat. It was the only takedown Duhart could manage.
After three stalemate periods and an equally close overtime, Duhart had his second consecutive Class 5A 220 championship after gutting out a 2-1 overtime decision against Newton’s Cyle Gautschi.
The win capped a 38-0 season for Duhart, who admittedly wasn’t used to battling so hard for a victory.
“I usually get a takedown at some point in regulation,” Duhart said. “That was the first time I couldn’t get one.”
Duhart let Gautschi get an escape after a 0-0 first period, and Duhart tied it with an escape in the third. The two stood toe-to-toe through a one-minute overtime and a 30-second extra period until Duhart managed another escape in the second 30-second period.
Quick win
Schlagle senior Mason Turner barely broke a sweat in the Class 5A 126 final.
Turner needed just 25 seconds to pin Jared Simmons of Aquinas for his fourth state medal and first championship. Turner had faced Simmons twice before and that gave him confidence that he could take control of the match early.
“The move I hit him with was of my go-to’s if I can get it,” Turner said. “Once I had him locked in I knew I was going to pin him with it.
Other area champions
Nick Jouret of Olathe South became a two-time state champion when he won a 13-4 major decision over Hutchinson’s Riley Smith in the Class 6A 182 final. Jouret was the 6A 170-pound champ last season.
Olathe South had another state champion in Jace Koelzer, who recorded a 4-2 sudden victory over Jacob Holt of Garden City in the Class 6A 126 final.
Gardner Edgerton’s Jackson Flowers won the Class 6A 220 championship. Flowers won a 3-2 decision over Payton Collins of Wichita South in the final to finish 38-5.
Mill Valley’s Connor Ward won the Class 5A 145 championship. Ward pinned Dallas Boone of Valley Center in the final for his fourth state medal.

Re: KC Star High School Wrestling News - OMG [Re: smokeycabin] #249454 02/26/18 04:40 PM
B
Bauerly Offline
B
Jace Koelzer also a 2 timer did they miss this?

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Derek Patterson), 133 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,939
Posts250,371
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)