Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Southern Plains - WE WANT YOUR WRESTLERS!! #250757 05/24/18 02:06 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Coaches & Supporters:

The past two years Oklahoma USA wrestling has made the Sunflower state look bad as they have had more entries to Southern Plains than any other state, including Kansas, the host state. We can do better! This is an excellent opportunity to expose your young wrestlers to Freestyle and Greco! It is a qualifier for the Fargo USA National FS/GR Tournament. There really isn’t any valid excuse, with the exception of injury, to not attend this tournament. “I don’t know the rules…” We will teach you and you will learn! “Its not like folkstyle” You are correct! You can take a sloppy or bad shot in Folkstyle and not give up points. Freestyle teaches you that you better take good shots and FINISH or you will give up points. Wrestling is ALL good for you if you want to be a champion and who doesn’t want to be a champ???

Due to declining interest and the absence of anyone willing to take this endeavor on this year, we are NOT hosting a Southern Plains camp. I would encourage all of you to do something local in the days leading up to the tournament. At the tournament we will distribute TEAM KANSAS t-shirts to ALL Kansas wrestlers. In addition, I am looking for volunteers to coach the KS kids. Ryne Cokeley and Reese Cokeley will be on site to corner for kids who don’t have FS/GR experienced coaches available. I am looking for other coaches as well so please let me know so that I can add you to the list. I would also like your shirt size as I will be making shirts for those who are willing to coach team KS kids Saturday and Sunday. If you have a specific age group you would like to focus on please let me know that as well. We will have a TEAM MEETING on Saturday before wrestling begins.

NEXT YEAR - I would like to work the next 12 months on REGIONAL Southern Plains camps. 4 to 6 camps across the state that could be house wrestlers or be commuter only. I would like some proposals and budgets submitted to me by August 1, 2018 so that I can budget for 2019. We hosted several conference calls this year and this idea is a result of some of the feedback we gathered during these calls. PLEASE come up with ideas and plans! HINT TO YOU COLLEGE COACHES… This could be used as a GREAT recruiting tool!

Hope to see ALL of you in Dodge City next weekend!

Will Cokeley
USAWKS Olympic Styles Director
708 267 6615

IMPORTANT!!!
The deadline for online registration for our regional championships is next Thursday, May 31; after that we will accept late entries but there is an additional fee. I wanted to make sure that this date was on everyone’s calendar. As I’ve said in the past, we really don’t want this late fee, so please encourage your wrestlers to get their entries in prior to midnight on Thursday, May 31.

Here is a direct link to the tournament website:
https://usawevents.sportngin.com/southernplains

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Southern Plains - WE WANT YOUR WRESTLERS!! [Re: Cokeley] #250760 05/24/18 08:55 PM
C
Coach Fitz Offline
C
I’ll be at Southern Plains both Saturday and Sunday. I’m bringing 5-6 OSHS guys, and will be focused primarily on cadets & juniors - but I’ll corner any sunflowers who need a coach. Looking forward to a great weekend in DC!

Conor J. Fitzgerald
OSHS Head Coach
cfitzgeraldos@olatheschools.org
Re: Southern Plains - WE WANT YOUR WRESTLERS!! [Re: Cokeley] #250766 05/25/18 05:27 PM
I
Indianpride Offline
I
Do you know if you don't make a certain weight, whether you can bump up to next weight?

Last edited by Indianpride; 05/25/18 05:28 PM.
Re: Southern Plains - WE WANT YOUR WRESTLERS!! [Re: Cokeley] #250776 05/27/18 06:43 PM
C
Chris Stivers Offline
C
I was wondering the same about the weight. On one page it says USA Wrestling doesn't charge to adjust weight classes even at weigh ins then on another page it says if a wrestler does not make weight they can reclassify for the next style at that styles scheduled weigh ins. Would love to know before we drive up there.

Re: Southern Plains - WE WANT YOUR WRESTLERS!! [Re: Chris Stivers] #250777 05/27/18 08:19 PM
Mike Juby Offline
Originally Posted by Chris Stivers
I was wondering the same about the weight. On one page it says USA Wrestling doesn't charge to adjust weight classes even at weigh ins then on another page it says if a wrestler does not make weight they can reclassify for the next style at that styles scheduled weigh ins. Would love to know before we drive up there.

Wrestlers will automatically be moved to the correct weight class.

Re: Southern Plains - WE WANT YOUR WRESTLERS!! [Re: Cokeley] #250793 05/31/18 05:30 PM
H
hillm Offline
H
When is weigh-in? Also where can the wrestlers pick up their shirt?

Re: Southern Plains - WE WANT YOUR WRESTLERS!! [Re: Cokeley] #250800 06/01/18 11:07 AM
Mike Juby Offline
Weigh-in times depend on what styles you're wrestling and whether you pre-registered. You can find the complete schedule at usawevents.sportngin.com/page/show/1019253-schedule

Moderated by  Coach T.Gonzales 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 156 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,942
Posts250,374
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)