JULY 21, 2019

TO: SOUTHERN PLAINS COACHES & STATE LEADERS
FR: RUSTY DAVIDSON
RE: NATIONAL COACHES COUNCIL

Coaches and Leaders,

If you just finished “Fargo”, Welcome Home ! If you missed it, we missed you. A lot went on. We saw record numbers of entries, in all divisions. The wrestling, itself, was pretty good quality. In the various Councils, proposals developed that will demand your attention. I will briefly touch on those, here in a few. I will also ask you to Be On The Lookout for our Post Fargo Survey… coming your way in a couple of days.

First, though, I want to remind and encourage those of you who were in Fargo to look after your own health and well-being. I know you know the chemical and emotional repercussions of intensity. But, all of us tend to coach others about how to recover, often not heeding our own advice.

We’ve all been depending on Cortisol production, to maintain our intensity. Oxytocin, produced alongside the cortisol, urges us to depend on the Group as part of our body’s self-protective instinct. Both chemicals heavily tax our vitamin storage and immune system. Today, we are without both the intensity and the group.

When those “Fight / Flight” chemicals drop off, a flood of serotonin takes their place. This offers the organism a chance to rest and heal. It’s important that you let yourself sleep. When your body and brain ask for a Nap, take the Nap !

Make the effort to replenish your immune support. You need massive amounts of
B-Complex, D, C, A, along with Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc. I like the brand-name Airborne, because it adds the Zinc. Morning AND night, for a few days, will help you get back more quickly.

Explain, again, to your loved ones, why you have so little personality for the first few days. You are actually processing a form of Trauma. It takes time for your thought process and memory to categorize and compartmentalize all you experienced. Promise them you’ll share some stories, as soon as you get ‘em all figured out. Give yourself time for quiet reflection.

OK… enough of the Doctor Rusty show. Here’s a brief summary of proposals that will be forwarded from your National Coaches’ Council to State Leaders, in Colorado Springs:
• We’re proposing a plan to add greater consistency to the WEIGH IN PROCEDURES at REGIONAL events.
• We’re proposing to change the 14U weight class 90 pounds to 92 pounds
• We’re proposing to ADD TWO weights to our 16U menu. The goals = Serve smaller kids in the face of rumored cuts by NFHS; Serve a large population of
developing athletes between 90 and 120 lbs; Provide more even distribution through the Middle Weights; Become more consistent with UWW Weight Classes.
This one has sweeping implications, regarding Tournament Management, Team Travel and Bracket Size.
• We’re proposing the addition of SEPARATION CRITERIA language to accommodate placement in 15U Championships / Trials, as they enter 16U
Championships.
• We’re proposing ADDITIONAL LANGUAGE in NATIONAL DUALS policy, allowing States with multiple teams to choose NOT to have their teams wrestle each
other. The language would also make it possible for teams to choose not to wrestle other teams multiple times.

As I said, these proposals will go forward to State Leaders, August 14 – 15. I hope many of you can be there. I encourage all to let your State Leaders know your thoughts and how these proposals may affect your kids.

Please keep an eye on your email for a SURVEYMONKEY instrument, sometime this week. This will be automatically sent to ALL Coaches, preregistered for Fargo. Please let your peers know to expect it and urge them to respond.

We’ve learned, over the past two years, that our numbers give our voice strength when we work together with State Leaders. We can never turn our backs on this opportunity. It is vital to success, at our Grass Roots, that our Coaches’ voice, both individually and collectively, be heard.

Thanx for what you do and for how you do it ! Congratulations on your kids’ success in Fargo. I’ll get with you after the Summit, to share our outcomes and start pumping up for the Senior World Championship. Be well…

Rusty

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant