March 22, 2020

TO: SOUTHERN PLAINS COACHES & LEADERS
FR: RUSTY DAVIDSON
RE: NATIONAL COACHES COUNCIL

Coaches and Leaders,

I hope you are well. In these turbulent times. It has been several months since I’ve corresponded and I’m feeling a little guilty. It’s not that I have any big, breaking news. But, my role as your Representative to the National Coaches’ Council is communication.

Last October, we voted as a Council, to develop and publish a Quarterly National Newsletter. Unfortunately, that has become more process than product. Rather than get bogged down in that, I simply want to maintain the Southern Plains tradition of informed unity.

Clearly, the biggest bite, on our plate, is the impact of COVID 19. The Wrestling specific impacts are both short and mid-term. In our immediate future, we’re all coping with suspension of competition. Affecting us all, in the mid-term, is maintaining both physical and psychological preparedness.

Our craft sways us toward optimism. As such, we believe the crisis will ease and we will resume competitive events. Meanwhile, the vast majority are not able to get into traditional training environments. Helping athletes, of all ages, create structure and method will be a pretty neat trick.

The National Coaches Council met, my conference call, last week. Collectively, we are working to explore and offer alternatives. Our National Staff, specifically Coach Education is developing practical methods of delivery.

One exciting development is the Team USA Coaching App. I know there have been a couple of hiccups with some Android devices, but for the most part, it works well. Follow these simple steps. Step 1: Download the free app, “Team USA Mobile Coach App” .
Step 2: Click the three dashes in the upper right to open the options menu and click “add account” (enter your USA Wrestling ID). Select “USA Wrestling”.

Each of the 12 members of the Council, along with our three liaisons, have been tasked with and sharing best practices, and devising new ones, that meets athlete needs in a very restrictive environment. Look forward to some practical and creative suggestions.

With what we know, today, our Regional Championship in Dodge City has not been in the cross-hairs. Obviously, with daily, sometimes hourly, changes nothing is carved in stone. That said, we as Coaches bear the responsibility of helping athletes and families cling to any sense of normality. It is the Wrestling mind-set to look for a brighter tomorrow.

Thanx for your part in that ! You mean a lot to a lot of people. The way your carry and present yourself guides kids, as they gain skills and attitudes to cope with life’s challenges.

We still hope to start getting a National Newsletter out. With, or without, that, I will communicate a little more often. If something big affects the Southern Plains, I’ll get it to you immediately. If you have poignant questions… or just need to blow off a little steam, I’m here.

Speaking of “Here”, I have a NEW EMAIL ADDRESS. My old ‘7cities’ provider tanked. Please add me to your contacts as rustydavidson@gmail.com

Warm Regards to you and yours,
RD

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant