July 10, 2020

TO: SOUTHERN PLAINS COACHES & LEADERS
FR: RUSTY DAVIDSON
RE: NATIONAL COACHES COUNCIL

Coaches and Leaders,

I hope you and yours are well. When last I wrote, in May, I was working hard at spreading optimism. I haven’t lost that, but it is one ”curve that has been flattened”.
My reality, like yours, changes a few times a day and I’m not having much luck finding things I can control.

Your National Coaches’ Council has stayed busy. We currently meet bi-weekly, with our next on July 15th. Each Zoom meeting touches all the bases. We are studying plans for Age Group Trials and the chances we will attend World Championship events. We’re in the loop with Developmental Camps, being delivered virtually.

We work at checking the pulse of our various states. Clearly, we are all operating under different political views and restrictions… one of those things we can’t control. The best I have for you, there, is to continue keeping yourself in-the-know, locally. Your athletes and parents are likely more frustrated and anxious than you. Make sure you have current and accurate information when they ask.

Our National Developmental Camp is coming up July 27 – 30. This intensive, virtual experience is designed for your ‘Blue-Chippers’. Registration costs $95. If you’ve got athletes that can profit from this experience, contact Mike Clayton, Manager of Coach Education.

Tenatively, UWW has World Championships scheduled for Juniors and U23’s. Juniors is slated for Belgrade, the first full week of December. U23’s are in Tampere, Finland, Thanksgiving week. Trials for these, also tentative, will be at the SPIRE Center, just outside of Cleveland, in mid to late September.

If these trials become a reality and you have kids that belong there, I’ll offer what advice I can, regarding travel and hotel. The SPIRE Center is a pretty sweet venue. There are a few options, getting there.

Last week the NFHS published a free webinar on Return to Competition for Scholastic Sports. Titled “COVID-19 for Coaches and Administrators”, the piece is well done. It’ll take you half an hour and is has some really useful information. I recommend putting in your tool box, especially if you are a School Coach. Being ‘Out Front’, with stuff like this, makes your conversations with administration more productive. Go to
nfhslearn.com/courses/covid-19-for-coaches-and-administrators

Several states have offered local events, camps, clinics. Others are still completely locked down. Chicago had their ‘Rooftop’ event. Austin has a pretty big deal, in a couple of weeks. Utah is hosting their ‘Western States Championship’ at the end of the month. Last I heard, there were still a few spots available, in the GRECO-ROMAN tournament. Freestyle and Folkstyle are filled. You can find the event on trackwrestling.com

Hang Tough, Dear Friend ! We’ll find a way. We always promise parents that Wrestling builds character. We must celebrate the chance to demonstrate the character it has built for us. Take care of your family and take care of you.

Love,
Rusty

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant