Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
321-A Sub-States #256054 01/25/21 05:26 PM
R
RichardPowers469 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
This is going to piggy-back on some of the comments under the 321-A rankings thread. While we can all agree that Regionals (under the old system) were never entirely divided equitably, at least the best kids usually made it to state and got the chance to prove themselves. This year it seems to me that it is even worse. After reviewing last year's state brackets, it appears that the Minneapolis Sub-State will have 33 returning state placers in the brackets. The Marion Sub-State will have only 13. My numbers might not be 100%, but I'm darn close. I did not include schools that are down from 4A last year, but I did exclude those schools that bumped up like Larned and others. I understand that things are divided geographically, and KSHSAA tries to reduce travel for schools, but these two sites are not that far apart. It took me maybe 20 minutes to tally my numbers. It seems to me that KSHSAA could have looked at this and tried to divide the Sub-States a little more evenly, especially considering that both sites are in central Kansas. I'm not going to get in to which weights are particularly loaded, but if you're reading this, you probably already know. Five returning placers at 170 in one Sub-State! What are your thoughts? Do you agree that things could have been divided more evenly?

Re: 321-A Sub-States [Re: RichardPowers469] #256056 01/25/21 09:17 PM
G
greendog Offline
G
Since both substates are near the center of the state. Kshsaa could have mixed up the substates and regionals to even out competition. Substate A- includes district 1, 3, 5, & 7. Substate B includes district 2, 4, 6, & 8. Regionals would be districts 1 vs 3, 2 vs 4, 5 vs 7, and 6 vs 8.

Re: 321-A Sub-States [Re: RichardPowers469] #256058 01/26/21 03:40 AM
Coach Malay Offline
They also dont care about districts geographically. Russell, TMP, and Ellis will drive through us to go to Cimarron. We have to drive through Ellis and TMP to go to Phillipsburg. For years we have been told it's all geographical. Now that excuse can't be used anymore. They also could of put the substate somewhere centrally located in the West part of the state like they did with the girls Sub-state (Ellis). St Francis will for 4+ hours to Minneapolis

Michael Malay
Trego Community High School Head Wrestling Coach
mmalay@tregoeagles.com
785-769-3082
Re: 321-A Sub-States [Re: RichardPowers469] #256077 02/02/21 09:50 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
I love what Nebraska does. Geography team wise, then the top 8 teams get separated. 1 and 8, 2 and 7, 3 and 6 and 4 and 5 usually pair together wherever the hell they send them. I will say they do something similar in Football. We need to get rid of East and West bracket in football. Have a first round that is based off of Geography, then, reseed and make the bracket state wise. For wrestling we can have 1st round and reshuffle or something. I will say it will never be perfect though, individuals might be good on certain teams.....if you get 5 in a regional from 5 mediocre teams at 170 that are ranked...it's still going to be an issue. So not sure what the solution is. Maybe Regional and SubState could happen 4 Regionals 2 substates. Top 6 out of Regionals qualify to make it 12 at Substate with it then being seeded for top 4 getting byes at that stage. Then eliminate half the field again and have 12 weights at state. Then hell with it 2 pools of 6 at state, you get 4 matches on day one in pool, then final pool match the next day. If you finish in top 3 of your pool, you cross bracket and face someone from other pool with like record. 3rds go for 5th, 2nds for 3rd and 1 for 1st. That also allows for a lot of opportunity to score points for schools with smaller numbers, and furthermore it opens up the chances of wrestlers getting more mat time and being recruited by college coachces. Also, allows for those traveling to catch more than 1 maybe 2 matches of a kid.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: 321-A Sub-States [Re: RichardPowers469] #256082 02/04/21 06:39 PM
Z
zebrafam Offline
Z
Does anyone know why the State series events will not allow round robins except for a 3 man bracket? And if there are only 2 in a weight class, it won't be 2 out of 3, it be just one match. And anything from 4-8 wrestlers will be in an 8 man bracket. and above that number, who knows. Seems a little unfair to not let them wrestle in a round robin, at least for weights up to 5 wrestlers. 6-8 kids, ok 8-man bracket. And in the 5-man brackets, the loser of one of the semi's will by into 3-4 place match. And I know that people will say that in a 4-man, they all get to go anyway, but RR would everyone the chance to determine their placing and seeding for the next tournament. Maybe a kid has a couple of good matches and knocks off a couple of kids in his bracket that he has not wrestled during the year and gets 1st or 2nd. Better seed the next week. But if the same kid gets the 4th seed due to not seeing some of the others or because of record or other things,if he loses first match to the ! seed, he may not get to wrestle someone that he might have been able to beat, thus ending up at a lower seed for the next week. Just don't see where not having RR brackets for 4 and 5 man is equitable for all those kids. Talked with several coaches over the last couple days and most did not know this was how it was going to work. And maybe it's OK for most, but just doesn't seem equitable from my view.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 205 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)