I lost a good friend and wrestling lost a great leader yesterday with the passing of Mark Reiland. Mark was a larger than life figure who had accomplished a lot but had so much more yet to give. I’m struggling with finding ways to make this about Mark when all I can think about is how much I will miss him.

Mark was an outstanding wrestler, winning a national championship under legendary coach Dan Gable, but I first came to know Mark when we were roommates at a state leaders summit for USA Wrestling in Colorado Springs. Mark had just been elected the state chairman of Iowa and I was only a few years into that role in Kansas, so we spent quite a bit of time discussing the challenges of running a state organization. One of my strongest memories of that conversation was when we discussed assembling teams and staff for the annual national tournament in Fargo. I described how I tried to find the best coaches in the state to ensure the best experience for our athletes. Mark, without any hint of bravado, simply stated “I am the best coach for them.”

As I came to know Mark more over the subsequent years, I realized that this fit him perfectly. He was a consensus builder and team player, and could be modest at times, but he was supremely confident in his own abilities. He influenced me greatly over those years, and was the sole reason I decided to run for the office of chairman of the state chairs committee of USAW. It was this position that put me on the executive committee of USA Wrestling, where I got to spend quite a bit more time with Mark.

Most recently, Mark was serving as first vice president for the organization and was highly likely to succeed Bruce Baumgartner as the next president, where he would have been outstanding.

I last saw Mark less than a month ago, where he was hail and healthy and there were no signs of the devastation the following weeks would bring. Seeing this big, strong man brought down so quickly should serve as a reminder to everyone that life is temporary and fleeting and our health should be of utmost importance. Mark, I’m going to miss you, brother.