Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mark Reiland #256748 12/09/21 11:51 AM
Mike Juby Offline OP
OP Offline
I lost a good friend and wrestling lost a great leader yesterday with the passing of Mark Reiland. Mark was a larger than life figure who had accomplished a lot but had so much more yet to give. I’m struggling with finding ways to make this about Mark when all I can think about is how much I will miss him.

Mark was an outstanding wrestler, winning a national championship under legendary coach Dan Gable, but I first came to know Mark when we were roommates at a state leaders summit for USA Wrestling in Colorado Springs. Mark had just been elected the state chairman of Iowa and I was only a few years into that role in Kansas, so we spent quite a bit of time discussing the challenges of running a state organization. One of my strongest memories of that conversation was when we discussed assembling teams and staff for the annual national tournament in Fargo. I described how I tried to find the best coaches in the state to ensure the best experience for our athletes. Mark, without any hint of bravado, simply stated “I am the best coach for them.”

As I came to know Mark more over the subsequent years, I realized that this fit him perfectly. He was a consensus builder and team player, and could be modest at times, but he was supremely confident in his own abilities. He influenced me greatly over those years, and was the sole reason I decided to run for the office of chairman of the state chairs committee of USAW. It was this position that put me on the executive committee of USA Wrestling, where I got to spend quite a bit more time with Mark.

Most recently, Mark was serving as first vice president for the organization and was highly likely to succeed Bruce Baumgartner as the next president, where he would have been outstanding.

I last saw Mark less than a month ago, where he was hail and healthy and there were no signs of the devastation the following weeks would bring. Seeing this big, strong man brought down so quickly should serve as a reminder to everyone that life is temporary and fleeting and our health should be of utmost importance. Mark, I’m going to miss you, brother.

Re: Mark Reiland [Re: Mike Juby] #256750 12/09/21 04:20 PM
Coach Malay Offline
Sorry for your loss Mike!

Michael Malay
Trego Community High School Head Wrestling Coach
mmalay@tregoeagles.com
785-769-3082
Re: Mark Reiland [Re: Coach Malay] #256751 12/10/21 12:05 PM
Mike Juby Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, coach. I'm still shaken over the sudden loss, but wanted to share a little about Mark, both for those who knew him but mostly to those who didn't. Mark worked diligently to make their national organization as good as it could be and was very focused on insuring that the grassroots were taken care of. The loss is personal for me, but it will affect everyone who loves USAW and wrestling, whether they realize it or not.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 154 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)