Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
First year wrestlers going to districts? #253 03/15/05 04:43 AM
C
Crash99 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I was just wondering how many first year wrestlers made it past Subs from different clubs in all districts ages and weight groups if known?

I am only curious because my first year wrestler is one of 2 that I know of from Derby that advanced to Districts, and would like to know of any others in the same situation.

I know that my son has worked very hard this year and has the fire and desire needed to excel in wrestling. Making it to Districts is a great accomplishment for a first year wrestler and he wants to keep wrestling as long as possible.

Congratulations to all wrestlers going on to Districts!! And a special Congrats to those first year wrestlers who advanced as well!!

Here are the 2 that I KNOW of that are 1st year wrestlers that made it to districts from Derby.

8U 52# Cody McDonald
8U 61# Caleb Gash

Okay Okay ill quit bragging on my son now.

Proud Dad: Craig Gash

"Everything we do should be for the future of our children."
Re: First year wrestlers going to districts? #254 03/15/05 11:22 AM
Mike Furches Offline
Caleb and Cody are both great kids and I don't think I have ever coached a more polite kid than Caleb. It is great when a kid, win or loose comes to their coach and says "thank you" after a tournament. Tell Caleb that Nate will be looking for some little guys to hang out with at state so to work hard this week and try to get there.

Re: First year wrestlers going to districts? #255 03/15/05 05:28 PM
SEKcoach Offline
This is my son's third year competing at districts and he turned eight in September. Hopefully, the third time is a charm for him and he will get to advance on. Congratulations to your sons, and good luck to all the wrestlers this weekend.

Re: First year wrestlers going to districts? #256 03/15/05 07:16 PM
C
Chanute Wrestler Offline
C
Zach Jesseph from Chanute is going.

Re: First year wrestlers going to districts? #257 03/15/05 07:23 PM
B
beckieh Offline
B
A boy from our club, Drew Daniels is a 1st year wrestler at 10u 76. This is a tough age and weight, and our club is very proud of him!!
Good Luck Drew!

Beckie
Re: First year wrestlers going to districts? #258 03/15/05 08:07 PM
SEKcoach Offline
Oh, sorry, I thought you meant firt year as is competing at 8&u.

Re: First year wrestlers going to districts? #259 03/15/05 09:57 PM
M
my wrestling boys Offline
M
My son is a first year wrestler at 10u 58 and has qualified for districts. We are real proud of him.

Re: First year wrestlers going to districts? #260 03/16/05 01:25 AM
E
emnistymon Offline
E
My son is 12U and 130 and this is his first year. I was wondering if there was any first year wrestlers myself. He tried it in school to stay in shape for football and he ended up really liking it. I didnt know a thing about wrestling but have really grown to love the sport. He really feels good about himself but we are still working on his disappointment with himself when he loses. I keep telling him to be proud of his accomplishments this year and that most of his opponates have been doing this for years. I'm still just mom though and I won't know anything at least for another 10 years. To all wrestlers who have made it this far.....KOODOES and Good luck

Re: First year wrestlers going to districts? #261 03/16/05 03:30 AM
C
Crash99 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
That is GREAT emnistymon!! Keep encouraging him! To have just started at 12U age group wrestling other kids that have been doing this for years and qualifying for districts IS a great accomplishment!

I myself have come to love the sport almost as much as my son as well.

Thank you also Mike for your comments on my son, I have always tried to instill sportsmanship over everything else in my son. And after each match, win or lose, i try to make it a habit for my son to not only be a good sport on and off the mat by shaking hands (not just throwing hands like i see some kids do after a match) with his opponents and their coaches but also to shake the hand of the referee as well.

He appreciates everything that his coaches help him with either by learning new moves or by helping him on the mat when in certain situations to know what to do to either get out of a situation or clue him in as to what moves to use during a match. All of this comes with experience when a coach no longer needs to tell a kid what to do on the mat to win. And a lot of his experience has started to come into focus for him on the mat. In the last few tournaments I have particularly seen this aspect start to come into focus for him when he has come up against teammates in a bracket. I have a hate/love relationship with our club's rule of neutral coaching/neutral cheering when it comes to teammates wrestling each other in a tournament. I pump him up before a match such as this and then have to sit on the sidelines and hope that he can hit his moves without coaching or cheering. And this lately has started to be a turning point whereas he no longer relies on the coaches to tell him what to do instead he just knows what to do and this is mostly credited to matside coaches all year long such as yourself Mike; and Caleb really appreciates all of you.

"Everything we do should be for the future of our children."
Re: First year wrestlers going to districts? #262 03/16/05 05:11 AM
J
jakesdad Offline
J
I know at Maize we have at least 3 first year kids at 10u going,my son being one of them my wife and I couldn't be any prouder.I think it says alot for the coaching also.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 101 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,384
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)