Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
competition points #25965 07/20/05 05:53 PM
chewbacca Offline OP
OP Offline
Even though it is technically the offseason, i decided to post a topic that actually had something to do with wrestling. After looking at some of the records at senior nationals, i noticed that in almost every other state kids were getting 50-55 matches a year, compared to our kids averaging around 40. Metcalf came into nationals with over 220 wins in his career. I really don't understand the idea of having competition points that limit the amount of events kids can wrestle at. It has always been my understanding that the more matches somebody wrestles, the more experience he will get and the better he will be. Does anybody else have an opinion on the subject?

Maybe you're not an ugly human, but a good looking ape.....with exceptional verbal skills.
Re: competition points #25966 07/20/05 06:00 PM
TCarmona Offline
I have seen where a kid had won regionals and had to give it up because of these points. I think that there should be a limit to not over do it for those hard core coaches but some kids don't get enough matchs. It should be reviewed.

Re: competition points #25967 07/20/05 08:47 PM
usawks1 Offline
The wrestlers from Shawnee Heights get about 50+ matches per year because nearly all their tourneys are dual format.

Plus teams that wrestle tourneys instead of having league duals have a tremendous advantadge.

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: competition points #25968 07/20/05 10:08 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by usawks1:
Plus teams that wrestle tourneys instead of having league duals have a tremendous advantadge.
My question is, do coaches feel that the lack of league duals cost us in the way of attendance of the casual fans? Not every school can have a home tournament of course so does the lack of home duals prevent some fans from seeing our product?

Re: competition points #25969 07/20/05 11:27 PM
K
Kirk Wiscombe_dup1 Offline
K
This is a interesting topic. Our league is in the process of getting our duals in a team dual
tournament format. This will save alot of points for some teams. The disadvantage to this may be for the lesser teams making up the points. The advantage for us is getting full weeks of practice in and wrestling mostly on weekends. Every coach has a little different idea on how much wrestling is good. I'm not so sure 50+ matches is good for younger kids. If you are fortunate to be 2 or 3 deep then that would be ok.

Re: competition points #25970 07/21/05 03:32 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by TCarmona:
I have seen where a kid had won regionals and had to give it up because of these points. I think that there should be a limit to not over do it for those hard core coaches but some kids don't get enough matchs. It should be reviewed.
The points should count in "regular season" Regionals and State should be free points in my opinion if you have = or less points of the max up to that point.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: competition points #25971 07/21/05 01:24 PM
usawks1 Offline
I'm not going to pretend I know all the regulations, in-and-out, but in order to have an intelligent discussion we need to have a basic understanding of the rules!

Regional and State are NOT included in the count. IF a wrestler was disqualified after Regionals, he would have to have too many points going into regionals. IF this happened ... shame on the coach!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: competition points #25972 07/21/05 05:56 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by usawks1:
I'm not going to pretend I know all the regulations, in-and-out, but in order to have an intelligent discussion we need to have a basic understanding of the rules!

Regional and State are NOT included in the count. IF a wrestler was disqualified after Regionals, he would have to have too many points going into regionals. IF this happened ... shame on the coach!
Do you think this would be consideration for termination of a coach's contract with that school for basic negligence?

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: competition points #25973 07/22/05 03:22 PM
Mike Juby Offline
If it was me ... probably not! There are such factors as an honest mistake ... negligent, maybe ... unfortunate, absolutely ... termination of a contract, I would hope not!

Oops, I just realized I was under Mike's user name! Boy, couldn't I stir up some trouble??

Re: competition points #25974 07/25/05 04:06 AM
coachtwink Offline
I definitely think home events are important to our sport and our athletes. Every wrestler deserves the opportunity to compete at home. I am part of the KVL which is doing away with the league duals. The responsibility then falls on the coaches and the AD to find duals/meets for their athletes at home. I am definitely saddened by the declining importance placed on duals, I think they develop alot of the team mentalilty wrestling should have. I remeber my senior year in high school we dualed Saint Francis at home. There were over 1000 people in attendance- maybe more. Next to the State finals it was the most amazing wrestling experience possible. Every wrestler deserves a similar experience.

Any fool can criticize, complain, and condemn- and most do.
Re: competition points #25975 07/25/05 12:57 PM
TCarmona Offline
I don't mind duals during the week, but to many dual trnys suck. I don't think you see your best wrestling. Many kids are trying to save energy for later teams cause they know they still have to wrestle school x, y and z. Also with brackets more people get interested.

About the coach not paying attiontion. Well the kid was a freshmen on varsity. His coach wanted more matches for him so he would wrestle him during a few J.V. things. Well another coach looked up that wrestler who was over by on match just to better his own wrestler's part at state. I think it was an honest mistake and another coach not having faith in his wrestler to place high at state with out a few breaks.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,384
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)