Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A Catholic Dynasty? #26308 03/01/05 09:10 PM
G
gutwrench1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hats off to the Catholic schools! Catholic schools, Aquinas and Bishop Carrol, are 6A and 5A team state champions! Proving once and for all that Catholics make better wrestlers. Which poses the age old question, is it genetic or is it the strict and disciplined environment from which they come? Hmmmm...well, congratulations. veni vidi vici.

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26309 03/01/05 09:28 PM
Dingbat Offline
While Catholics have truly proved their mettle this year, I would not yet call them a dynasty. I don't think any religious denomination can hold a candle to the Mormons. After all, the founder of their religion was a wrestler. I would bet that Joseph Smith could tech-fall ol' JC in the second period. That is, unless, JC changed the water in Joseph's water bottle to wine before the match.

Congrats, Aquinas!
Great job, Hat Town!
Salyer Rules!
Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26310 03/01/05 09:32 PM
Pups4Ever Offline
Hey, even as a catholic, I have got to hand it to the moromons. Any ugly dude who can convince 5 women to marry him has got a franchise going...

"I hate basketball! I'd rather watch paint dry!" -- CVHS Wrestling coach Troy Lentz 2005
Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26311 03/01/05 10:17 PM
coachtwink Offline
Plus the only undefeated collegiate wrestler was Mormon.
If I have a son, I may raise him Mormon so he will kick everyone's tail on the mat!

Any fool can criticize, complain, and condemn- and most do.
Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26312 03/02/05 12:35 AM
A
acbulldog Offline
A
Come on how many championships have the 2 won combined, now bishop carrol is always pretty good but who beats them 98% of the time enough said dynasty I wish ark city could recruit that would be scary.

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26313 03/02/05 02:47 AM
Pups4Ever Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by coachtwink:
If I have a son, I may raise him Mormon so he will kick everyone's tail on the mat!
That's like Peter raising Chris as a Jew so he would be successful and good at math...

"I hate basketball! I'd rather watch paint dry!" -- CVHS Wrestling coach Troy Lentz 2005
Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26314 03/02/05 04:21 AM
Prant Garker Offline
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the last (folkstyle) high school national champion from Kansas was Scott Coleman--a mormon. All 95 kids in that family placed at state (excluding Dave, who went on to become a ballerina). Needless to say, no more research needs to be done on this topic, as this one case proves my theory.

Next to Mormons, a religion where two families could probably make up an entire team, I'd say those of us at Peace Lutheran (both Hat Town and Saint Francis) are the 2nd most dominant religion. And we have delicious grape juice. So we win.

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26315 03/02/05 05:15 AM
N
nclayton Offline
N
acbulldog - How do you know that they recruit? Just wondering/

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26316 03/02/05 06:20 AM
LancerM Offline
Um, because all private schools recruit. Duh.

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26317 03/02/05 06:41 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Pups4Ever:
Quote:
Originally posted by coachtwink:
That's like Peter raising Chris as a Jew so he would be successful and good at math...
Yeah but he couldn't wrestle on Saturdays!

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26318 03/02/05 02:29 PM
P
P. Pitbull's Old Dog Offline
P
Man, you guys are crazy! but definitely entertaining.

Coach Peterman

Head Coach - Peterman Pitbulls
Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26319 03/02/05 04:07 PM
Jumbo_Sport Offline
acbulldog, I think that 98% of the time is a bit of an exaggeration. Lets just look at this year for example: Perry Tournament, Carroll beats the Ark, Newton, Carroll beats the Ark, State, Carroll beats the Ark, Derby, the Ark beats Carroll, Regionals, the Ark beats Carroll. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that’s Bishop Carroll 3, Ark City 2, or an Ark City winning % of 40%. Great rivalry, glad to wrestle you guys to make each team just that much tougher come state time, but please lets try and keep things in perspective. Yes Ark City has the history and tradition over Bishop Carroll, I'm not going to argue that one bit, but recent history has shown a darn good battle between the schools and I for one would like to see that continue.

LancerM & acbulldog, several questions to you both are, you seem very sure that ALL Catholic schools recruit. When you say ALL Catholic schools, do you mean to say ALL private schools, as I am sure that there are other private, NON-Catholic schools out there as well? I just want to make sure that we are talking about the same thing here. Next question is that you both seem very sure that ALL Catholic schools recruit. Do you have any proof of this accusation? Do you have any names of athletes that have been recruited by Catholic schools? I was a student of Bishop Carroll as well as a coach at this school and I have never known or heard of any student being recruited or given preferential treatment due to his or her athletic ability. I do know that any student wishing to attend Bishop Carroll must be in good standing with their parish before even being considered for any openings at the school. As Coach Finkeldei pointed out in another post, there are currently only 3 non-Catholic students in attendance at Bishop Carroll and that is due to family relations that work at the school. Granted, we are not restricted by the public school zones that determine which public school a student will attend, but we are forced to follow the same recruiting rules and regulations as any other school.

Catholic School Dynasty? I don't think you can call it a dynasty just yet, maybe after another 10 years or so of success. 2 titles in 4 years doesn't quite constitute a dynasty in my books.

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26320 03/02/05 04:09 PM
Jumbo_Sport Offline
Oh, and LancerM, congrats on the state title.

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26321 03/02/05 04:34 PM
iFeelFat Offline
didn't the news say the BTK was from Peace Lutheran?

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26322 03/02/05 04:40 PM
I'm your huckleberry Offline
Yes BTK like Prant Garker is one of those ELCA lefties

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26323 03/02/05 05:18 PM
A
acbulldog Offline
A
Im not talking about one year im talking about the whole rest of the time when bishop carrol never beat us so you can take there three times and put it against 200 now come on think before you talk bumbo. jean grosso did he always live in whichita? nope

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26324 03/02/05 05:31 PM
Wrestling Scholar Offline
Parochial (Catholic Schools) have a natural advantage and should be one of the top ranked teams. They can pull quality kids from a larger area (away from private schools). In my opinion, Carrol and Aquinas have a huge advantage which they haven't capitalized on until recently. These schools don't need to recruit, even though it occassionaly happens, but never proven.

Look at the top 50 national teams. Well over half of them are Catholic or private. I bet a majority of the wrestlers on these teams aren't catholic.

If Carrol and Aquinas could put together a few more championships, their success will create momentum to build a long lasting dynasty. A lot of good kids in Wichita and Kansas City would love to be on a perennial state champion team than a mediocre pubic school and will transfer or start there. Thats what you call legal or natural recruiting. Watch out public schools.

The Scholar

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26325 03/02/05 06:28 PM
Jumbo_Sport Offline
acbulldog, like I said, i'm not going to argue about the history and tradition of Ark City. When you take in the past 20 years, yes Ark City has had much more success than Bishop Carroll. Over the past 4-5 years, it has been very close competition. So, I'm not going to debate which team is better. We won it this year, Turner won it last year, Ark City won it the year before that, Bishop Carroll won it the year before that.... We are all very competitive teams. I personally enjoy the competition that we all give to each other year in and year out and I would like to keep it that way.

As for Pat Giangrosso, no he did not always live in Wichita. If you want to use Pat as an example of Bishop Carroll recruiting away from other schools, please feel free. I think that you will find it hard to show that Bishop Carroll recruited Pat away from the school he was supposed to attend in Pennsylvania. That's a heckuva commute just to wrestle. And from what I understand, his father took a job after Pat graduated in Winfield to coach football. I could be mistaken on that. I do remember asking Pat if his brother was going to wrestle for Carroll when he came to school there. We were told that he would not be attending Carroll because the family was moving due to a job change in the family.

Oh, and its Jumbo, no need for name calling.

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26326 03/02/05 06:43 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by gutwrench1:
Hats off to the Catholic schools! Catholic schools, Aquinas and Bishop Carrol, are 6A and 5A team state champions! Proving once and for all that Catholics make better wrestlers. Which poses the age old question, is it genetic or is it the strict and disciplined environment from which they come? Hmmmm...well, congratulations. veni vidi vici.
Nice theory but it doesn't work for Topeka Hayden in wrestling. Football on the other hand...

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26327 03/02/05 06:52 PM
S
stawrestlingmom Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by gutwrench1:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 157 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,942
Posts250,374
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)