Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26328 03/02/05 06:56 PM
S
stawrestlingmom Offline
S
Hey Gutwrench, you know I love my Saints, but just so you know, there are a few boys on that State Championship Team who are NOT Catholic. In fact I'm pretty sure our Coach of the Year isn't Catholic either. We have a GREAT school and a fantastic team of boys....but not all of the Catholic faith. So to answer the age old question, I think it's the disciplined environment from which they come that makes for some really fine athletes...and oh yeah don't we recruit? ha ha ha

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26329 03/02/05 06:58 PM
Wrestling Scholar Offline
STAWrestlingmom.

Then why is this the first state championship wrestling team Aquinas has ever had if Catholics make such great wrestlers.

The Scholar

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26330 03/02/05 07:05 PM
coachtwink Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Pups4Ever:
That's like Peter raising Chris as a Jew so he would be successful and good at math... [/QUOTE]

I won't really do it, my wife won't let me

Any fool can criticize, complain, and condemn- and most do.
Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26331 03/02/05 07:28 PM
G
gutwrench1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
STAWrestlingmom,
Thanks for the clarification on the diversity of your great team and coach. I cannot imagine why a non-Catholic would want to pay to suffer through Catholic school. Those recruits must really want to wrestle for STA!
Congratulations to the Saints and non-Saints wrestling for STA.

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26332 03/02/05 09:22 PM
W
wrestlingmom Offline
W
I don't think anyone "suffers" through St. Thomas Aquinas. Those on the outside need to know that Catholic school isn't the same as it was years ago. Nobody is getting their knuckles hit with rulers or anything like that. Once in a while though a kid may be asked to say the Hail Mary in Spanish - that may be tough for our non-Catholic students! :p

In fact, if you ask most of the students, wrestlers or not, they would tell you they love going to STA and even alumni are proud to have graduated from there.

Also, most of our current varsity team are sophomores - hopefully we can get to the championship again next year!

Sharon Henes
STA Wrestling - President Emeritus!
Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26333 03/02/05 09:29 PM
KCWrestlersMom Offline
Hey, that Spanish Hail Mary was tough for my Catholic student who has been in Catholic school since his preschool days! We went over it so many times that I learned it, too! Rumor has it one girl learned it during a single class period. We were not so lucky.

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26334 03/03/05 04:21 PM
M
Mike Church Sr. Offline
M
Very seldom do I agree with acbulldog. I know Bishop Carroll recruits and even though my stepdaughter went there as a freshman which meens I have a few ties to Carroll ( in freindship only) I also have the proof of them recruiting. Will I bring it forward? Nope!! Do I think Carroll is a dynasty? Yes but in a different way, for I will say one thing for the Catholics, they will support one another untill the end . As long as they have something to gain. And I meen that in a good way.

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26335 03/03/05 04:33 PM
Prant Garker Offline
STAwrestlingmom-

If the coach and some of the wrestlers aren't Catholic, do they still have to participate in the sacrifices and rain dances? Are all wrestlers forced to practice cannibalism, or just the Catholic ones? Please let me know, as I have wondered this for some time.

-Prant

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26336 03/03/05 04:52 PM
KCWrestlersMom Offline
As far as I'm aware, they participate in everything except receiving Communion. Religion classes, all-school Mass, etc. They are required to do service hours, the same as everyone else. And I think they got rid of the rain dances, most people have automatic sprinkler systems in their yards.

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26337 03/03/05 05:14 PM
W
wrestlingmom Offline
W
Quote:
Originally posted by Prant Garker:
STAwrestlingmom-

If the coach and some of the wrestlers aren't Catholic, do they still have to participate in the sacrifices and rain dances? Are all wrestlers forced to practice cannibalism, or just the Catholic ones? Please let me know, as I have wondered this for some time.

-Prant

Sharon Henes
Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26338 03/03/05 05:23 PM
W
wrestlingmom Offline
W
Hit the add reply button too quickly:

Prant:

I think you have crossed the line with your statements about cannibalism and rain dances. Cracks at the Catholic faith don't belong on this forum.

Non-Catholic students do take 4 years of CATHOLIC theology. And no, they don't receive the Eucharist, in fact no non-Catholic should! I do believe that the wrestling team says a prayer before each tournament. But that is not just a Catholic thing - although those in public schools might meet up with the ACLU if they chose to pray.

St. Thomas Aquinas - pray for us - And Prant!

Sharon Henes
Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26339 03/03/05 05:42 PM
J
Josh Carroll Offline
J
It doesn't matter if they recruit they can get away with it more because there a private school. However you can recruit in a public school just as well if you have the right coaches in there. The only problem with that is you will recieve alot more crap for it because its a public school. Congrats to STA and BC they have some great teams and some very good kids. Lots of love to those two programs. Also does anyone know what Blake Syleret is doing now.

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26340 03/03/05 05:51 PM
Dingbat Offline
Wait...don't Catholics eat the body and blood of Ol' JC? Sounds cannibalistic to me...
But seriously, if cannibalistic jokes are wrong, I don't want to be right.

Congrats, Aquinas!
Great job, Hat Town!
Salyer Rules!
Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26341 03/03/05 06:19 PM
F
former carroll 152# Offline
F
I went to Carroll and we DID NOT RECRUIT!!! We have a great developmental program. This year alone 2 guys took 4th in state and they started wrestling in high school. (Joe Duling 119#, Collin Gabler 160#) Nathan Brenner only wrestled 2 yrs prior to high school and he was a 3 time state placer. There were 5 guys on varsity this year who started wrestling in high school.

If you want me to go on with all the state placers, state champs, (and one all-american) who all started wrestling in high school, I can.

oh yeah, I love the blind accusations by some people. Can you say "jealousy".

I think some people are upset a bunch of Catholic boys kicked the crap out of them.

one last thing: I hate it when people hide behind their screen names. So to clarify, I'm Jake Johnston. I started wrestling at Carroll my freshman year, was on varsity 3 years. SQ 2 years, state finalist my senior year. Now I'm wrestling at Buena Vista University.

There is a difference between interest and commitment. When you interested in doing something you do it when its convenient. When your committed to something you accept no excuses, only results.
-Kenneth Blanchard
Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26342 03/03/05 06:19 PM
B
blitzkrieg Offline
B
You know when someone feels inferior when they pull the "recruiting" card out. Just like those who pull they "steriods" card out on Olathe North. Because if your team isn't a winner than the others must be cheating.

The huge flaw in this arguement as it pertains to STA (can't speak for BC) is that this is the first ever state title for them. As wrestlingmom said, this is a team loaded with sophomores. Not to mention the fact that Aquinas does not do well in other mens sports such as basketball and football. Although they have had success, not to the level of other programs (Olathe North, Blue Valley, etc). You'd think of all sports with in the school those two programs would recruit any and all players they could. They do make the most money for a school on average.

So why is the recruiting and/or steroids card used? Because if you can't match their level of play then you need to try and bring them down by unfounded accusations. Because if you know of a recruiting violation you SHOULD turn them in.

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26343 03/03/05 06:46 PM
Jumbo_Sport Offline
Josh Carroll: Blake Seiler is currently playing football at Kansas State. He wrestled for Oklahoma State for one year and then transferred to K-State to play football.

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26344 03/03/05 06:51 PM
Dingbat Offline
What weight did he wrestle at OSU? I think I may have wrestled him at the KSU intramural tournament last year.

Congrats, Aquinas!
Great job, Hat Town!
Salyer Rules!
Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26345 03/03/05 06:58 PM
G
gutwrench1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I like to seeing these wrestling moms on the forum. They're a pretty fiesty lot and that may explain it. Like Cael Sanderson's mom. It's the moms, not the recruiting, the kids program, the Catholicism or the rigid schooling. It's got to be these battling moms who give their kids a competitive edge.

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26346 03/03/05 09:45 PM
A
acbulldog Offline
A
I think your going a little overboard on the jealous thing alright because not very many teams have to be jealous of either one of these teams, hey they can finally win a couple come on alot more state championships to be jealous and I don't know why anybody would be jealous of a catholic so many messed up views. lol my opinion but get real and out of your jahova wanna be beliefs.

Re: A Catholic Dynasty? #26347 03/04/05 12:58 AM
A
acbulldog Offline
A
Oh a former carrol 152 you guys never beat us you got second one time when I was in high school.............................................................................................................................................................................. .................................................................

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 156 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,942
Posts250,374
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)