Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26868 01/16/05 04:00 AM
M
Mike Church Sr. Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, We had Grater, Cornejo, Baldridge = did they really live up to all the hype. Mitch Arnold from Bishop Carroll impressed me being a (FRESHMAN) at 135 not like a 103 or A 112 which can sport some quality freshman Mitch beat all SR's one was 3x state placer one was a 2x6a state champion and all his opponents were tough. Grater had a freshman wrestle him a 7-4 match.
I think Mitch was definetly over looked as Outstanding Wrestler. He gets my vote.

Re: Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26869 01/16/05 04:03 AM
number two Offline
mike that throw he made was simply OUTSTAND MAN. BUT I STILL GO WITH BALDRIGE

jim ryan
Re: Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26870 01/16/05 04:15 AM
G
Grater's Offline
G
Let it die!! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and the coaches evidently let theirs be known!! All the hype made out of this match (Grater/Cornejo) this past two weeks is ridicilous. They are both good wrestlers or they wouldn't be where they are today.

There were several good matches the entire weekend and it was a great tournament for many wrestlers. Good wrestlers don't make mistakes and that is why and how they win matches - PIN OR NO PIN - HIGH SCORE OR LOW SCORE!!

So sorry some of you didn't get to see what you wanted in the match. I know our family is glad it is over and it's time to move on. These boys are friends! We wish Joe the best of luck in the remainder of his season.

Leanna Grater

Re: Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26871 01/16/05 04:43 AM
M
OP Offline
M
I only stated my opinion and to be quite frank would like to hear other opinions. Everyone likes both Danny and Joe and there is no denying they are good. I am also very aware that coaches let their opinions be heard. How about letting the spectators opinion be heard. I think it just makes interesting conversation. I dont understand why ANYONE would call all the hype between two excellent wrestlers ridiculous.

MIke Church Sr.

Re: Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26872 01/16/05 04:53 AM
chewbacca Offline
the guys wrestled a great match. with how good defensively they both are it was pretty much exactly how i thought it would be. im sorry if some people were disappointed with the match being low scoring, but these guys don't make alot of mistakes that would result in a 12-9 or 15-11 match. i think grater got the award because he beat a wrestler who quite possibly could be the 2nd best wrestler in the state (no offense to taplin or baldridge). i think that the coaches pretty much decided that whoever ended up winning that match would win the OW award. this time it just happened to be grater.

Maybe you're not an ugly human, but a good looking ape.....with exceptional verbal skills.
Re: Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26873 01/16/05 04:57 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Your right number two that throw was awsome and those were two great wrestlers. I respect your opinion about Baldridge infact I have the greatest respect for Baldridge there's just something about a freshman whippin-up on Sr's that gets my attention.

Re: Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26874 01/16/05 08:33 PM
K
ksbevo Offline
K
Danny Grater made a good wrestler like Joseph Cornejo Change his style. It is a credit to
Danny. I think people forget the mental aspect of wrestling. I believe there is a counter for every move. Congratulations Danny. By the way Thanks for winning me lunch and a steak dinner
from Mike Sr.

Darrell K. Royal a man of honor.
Re: Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26875 01/16/05 09:26 PM
M
Michael Malay Offline
M
the coaches wouldnt have chosen grater if they had thought that he didnt deserve it. let it go peeps.

Re: Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26876 01/16/05 11:24 PM
Nigel Isom Offline
I agree with Mrs. Grater, and other others on this. This is the second thread now where an Outstanding wrestler has been questioned. As I mentioned before I thought Joe would most likely win this match after seing him wrestle several times now, but that was not the case here and Danny got the win. When it comes down to, winning is winning no matter how you get it done (outside of cheating of course). I give credit to Danny for winning the match, and if I would have had a vote in it, it would have gone to him. I really wish for the sake of sportsmanship and the integrity of our sport that people could just accept how awards are given out, instead of wasting time arguing about it. Congrats to Danny on his win and his award, and best wishes to both wrestlers who im fairly confident will both secure state titles later on this year.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26877 01/16/05 11:56 PM
M
OP Offline
M
My opinion is just what I said it was just my opinion. I personally like to hear the opinion of others. I didn't say Grater wasn't deserving he definetly is. The coaches have spoken and that is that, HOWEVER :-) one time I would like to see an open vote. Curiosity is all.

I respect their vote. Will I let it die (THATS A BIG FAT NO) I will always give my opinion. I'll bet ksbevo another steak dinner (WHICH I WILL GLADLY BUY THANKS TO DANNY GRATER) that not 100% of the vote went to Danny. Everyone has their opinion,however Congradulations Danny Grater I think your one helluva wrestler.

Re: Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26878 01/17/05 12:04 AM
K
KSGRM Offline
K
Nigel I think you just made the point of the majority. Not to take anything away from Danny or Joe. They are both outstanding wrestlers and I have been at plenty of tournaments where both of them could have deserved that title. What people are trying to say is that after setting through a two day tournament we saw some really outstanding wrestling and it wasn't between Danny and Joe. You weren't even at the tournament and yet you say Danny would have gotten your vote. Point made.

Re: Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26879 01/17/05 03:25 AM
L
Little Buster Offline
L
ok everyone this is rediculouse, i do agree that both are GREAT WRESTLERS AND I HAVE THE UPMOST RESPECT FOR EACH. i also think that everyone should be able to voice their opionion in this matter also. but i also belive that everyone should be able to voice their opinion without being bashed by other people because of what they think. all mike church sr was doing was stating his opinion and he was just asking others to state theirs also. Nigel too was only stating his opinion. KSGRM you say that just because nigel wasnt at the toruny that he cant vote on it? that isnt right. everyone has their opinions. danny beat a great kid and rightley deserves it as did may other wrestlers. its just that most of the people belived that danny desereved it more. if you look on a different topic i had joe as favored to win but i was wrong and danny did and very deserving it was. congrats danny. thats my OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont have a cow, its just a post
Re: Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26880 01/17/05 11:44 AM
Nigel Isom Offline
KSGRM,

AS litle Buster pointed out everyone has an oppinion. My point was its okay to have an oppinion but the way some people voice it makes it seem skeptical at best. No I was not at the tournament as I was officiating elsewhere. However I can say that even though there may have been more exciting matches during the two days regarding content and whatnot It doesn't change the fact that two Undefeated and two of the best wrestlers in the state were going head to head, and one of them came out on top, what about that wouldn't deserve the Outstanding wrestler award? Perhaps they should have gave it to some an underclassman who despite wrestling his weat out went 3-2 in the tournament? No the award was for Outstanding Wrestler, not most exciting matches during the tournament wrestler.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26881 01/17/05 04:35 PM
K
Kenny H. Taylor Jr. Offline
K
The Cornejo-Grater match panned out just liked I expected it to. A defensive match. Just because the score was not 21-20, does not make the match boring.

Usually when it is a high scoring match, that means that one wrestler is more dominant. That was not the case. The wrestler who made the first mistake was going to lose. Thats just how it is.

Im speaking from experience. Does the Kenny Taylor-Jeff Urban match ring a bell?

Kenny H. Taylor Jr.
Re: Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26882 01/17/05 06:13 PM
O
one_on_one Offline
O
personally, i think that the heavy-weight from norton, sprigg, should've gotten OW, because without sprigg winning an overtime nail-biter in the finals, there wouldve been a split for the championship team, before the match the team score was tied with norton at 166 1/2 and bishop carroll's 166 1/2 another thought, if sprigg had lost that match i think the OW shouldve gone to mitch arnold, 135 BC, because correct me if im wrong but he was the only champion for bishop carroll....
i think there is so much more criteria to look at before automatically choosing a OW by saying one weight is the hardest, maybe other things should be taken into consideration...

Re: Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26883 01/17/05 09:34 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I never even heard of Kenny Taylor or Jeff Urban :-)

Re: Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26884 01/18/05 12:25 AM
P
P. Pitbull's Old Dog Offline
P
My Congrats to both wrestlers Danny and Joe, man two National Champions going at it in a plain ol' Kansas High School Tournament. That's the joy of it all. That is probably why the winner of that match would win the OW. That is top of the line man you only get that once in a blue moon.(Like an ALI and Frazier) As for the real debate, The question is............Is the OW for the outstanding wrestler (Marque name in the tournament or is it for the wrestler who wrestled and look most outstanding,(offensive when no one stopping them, big throws)

I did not see any of the matches, I was up in Omaha watching some College wrestlers who Danny and Joe could probably all ready handle now. Top of the Line Big Dogs. Could those other wrestlers win at a National level?

Head Coach - Peterman Pitbulls
Re: Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26885 01/18/05 12:40 AM
C
cougarfan Offline
C
My opinion is that I have never seen Cornejo wrestle so tentative. I could see that they would want to be careful, but it looked like they were wrestling, just to avoid committing and making a mistake. Grater committed and won.

Re: Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26886 01/18/05 11:50 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Not anything like the Ali Frazier fight at all!!! Not even a good comparison. I suggest getting the vidieo of the boxing match. It was a bloody high intensity dog fight to the last second of the fight. I'm not saying to great wrestler's didnt meet at Newton but I am saying it doesnt compare the Ali vs Fazier

Re: Outstanding Wrestler at Newton #26887 01/19/05 08:24 PM
Ron James Offline
Ali vs. Frazier or not Amateur Wrestling News has Cornejo ranked 6th in the Nation and Grater ranked 12th in the Nation. When someone beat a nationally ranked wrestler that is ranked ahead of them I do believe that deserves Outstanding Wrestler.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 163 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,942
Posts250,374
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)