Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30450 02/03/05 12:27 PM
T
tnt Offline OP
OP Offline
T
What is the rule regarding outsiders participating in wrestling practice? Is it legal? Who can come and work out with the team? How many teams break the rule? I ask this because I read in another post how a wrestler who had graduated, was not a coach, and did not attend STA has went and practiced with the STA wrestling team.

Re: Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30451 02/03/05 01:29 PM
V
vikes Offline
V
well, lets just say that if that person hurts himself or someone else, the school will pay big time.

it's done everywhere even though it is a liability risk for the school and coaching staff

Re: Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30452 02/03/05 02:51 PM
T
tnt Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Vikes:
So what you are saying is that everyone is breaking the KSHSAA rules. How come the KSHSAA does not look into this or change the rule.

Re: Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30453 02/03/05 03:54 PM
K
klint deere Offline
K
only alumni can come back and wrestle

Re: Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30454 02/03/05 04:06 PM
J
JaRenfro Offline
J
Liability wise not a good idea. But as far as rules go, they can come in and work out regaurdless where they have graduated from, but they cannot "coach" students unless they are a school employee. They do not have to be a paid assistant as long as they are employed by the district. I think its great as long as the kid coming in is not trying to put a notch in his belt by beating up on a high school kid. Some districts may have a policy against it, but when I checked into it a few years ago, that was the explaination the KSHSAA gave me.

Re: Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30455 02/03/05 08:08 PM
R
rudy23 Offline
R
Is there any rule against a wrestler from one team going to another team's practice or against several wrestlers from different teams working out together?

Re: Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30456 02/03/05 09:03 PM
C
cntsdad Offline
C
What about a USAW Bronze level Coach that comes in as a guest Clinician? TNT do you know the rule? Or are you hatin' like some of the others?

Re: Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30457 02/03/05 10:56 PM
EYEofTHEtiger_133 Offline
Hatin'??

Take Care Of Business!
Re: Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30458 02/04/05 12:49 AM
V
vikes Offline
V
i never said it was against the rules, but as a coach it is a choice they will have to make, because the head coach is the one who will pay if anything goes wrong.

Re: Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30459 02/04/05 01:50 AM
C
cntsdad Offline
C
Hatin'. Ex. You go to a club and theres 1 guy who is always dressed right, knows how to talk to the Ladies, Can get any girl in the place to dance with him,and always leaves with a pocket full of numbers and the best lookin' girl in the place. Well, when the guys started talkin about him to the girls at the club, trying to ruin his action. they're HATIN'. Playa' Hatin', I believe its called. Someone could help me out if I'm wrong. But I do think thats what they call it in the hood.

Re: Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30460 02/04/05 01:54 AM
C
cowboy wrestler Offline
C
well we have lots of guys that come and wrestle and help coach us and it is volentary for them to come so it is there fault

Re: Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30461 02/04/05 01:54 AM
C
cowboy wrestler Offline
C
well we have lots of guys that come and wrestle and help coach us and it is volentary for them to come so it is there fault

Re: Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30462 02/04/05 03:30 AM
Wally Offline
We have about 4 or 5 kids from our local kids club that have been showing up at our high school practice. What are the rules on that?

"I'm going to the backseat of my car with the woman I love, and I won't be back for TEN MINUTES."
Re: Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30463 02/04/05 01:25 PM
T
tnt Offline OP
OP Offline
T
cntsdad:
I do not know the rule about a guest clinician coming in to practice and showing some technique, whether they are credentialed or not. It is a good question though. I have been waiting for Mr. Salyer to quote verbatim out of the KSHSAA rules what the exact rule regarding outside participation is!

Re: Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30464 02/04/05 03:52 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
I can not comment in Wally's presence. Wally complains when I quote the rules and in an effort to keep the peace I will remain silent!

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30465 02/04/05 04:09 PM
coachtwink Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by rudy23:
Is there any rule against a wrestler from one team going to another team's practice or against several wrestlers from different teams working out together?
This is definitely against the rules. Two teams are not allowed to practice together, and I believe even one wrestler from a school constitutes a team. I am not sure, but I believe it would be counted as a competition. It is similar to football, two teams are not allowed to practice together or "scrimmage".

Any fool can criticize, complain, and condemn- and most do.
Re: Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30466 02/04/05 04:15 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Rule 22
OUTSIDE COMPETITION
Violation of this rule shall make a student ineligible for the remainder of that sport or scholars’ bowl or debate season, unless he or she is reinstated by the Executive Board.

Section 1: General Regulations (apply to grades 7-12)

Art. 1: A student who is a member of a school athletic, scholars’ bowl or debate squad effective Tuesday following
Labor Day through Friday preceding Memorial Day may not participate as a member of an outside team or as an independent competitor in the same sport, scholars’ bowl or debate activity. (Exception: See Rule 4, United States Olympic Committee-Sponsored National Trials and Competitions.)

NOTE: Informal participation on the part of the student athlete, such as that experienced on the black top (concrete), in the park, local “Y”, etc., is not considered a violation of this rule, provided it was not formally called or organized, no coaching takes place, where no official score is kept, time kept, officials used, etc.

Intra non-school youth group athletic participation is not considered a violation of this rule. Inter non-school youth group athletic participation is a violation.

Art. 2: A student shall not be prohibited from competing on a special team within his or her own school such as an FFA team, etc. All members of such teams must be bona fide students, however, and eligible under the rules of the Association.

Art. 3: A student becomes a member of a school’s athletic squad, scholars’ bowl or debate team when he or she first participates in a practice session.

A student ceases to be a squad member after his or her last contest for the school’s athletic squad, scholars’ bowl or debate team or when the membership on a squad is terminated. (See Rule 14-1-1, Bona Fide Student and Rule 30-2-2, Seasons of Activities.)

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30467 02/04/05 04:22 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Rule 26
ANTI-TRYOUT AND PRIVATE INSTRUCTION
A student who violates this rule shall be ineligible in that activity for a period of one year from the date of the violation, unless reinstated by the Executive Board.

Section 1: General Regulations (apply to grades 7-12)
Art. 1: A student may receive instruction from their parent(s) at any time. A student’s parent(s) may attend their student’s private instruction session without violating the provisions of this rule.

Art. 2: A student may receive private instruction at any time of the school year. During the time a student is a member of a school athletic squad, starting with the student’s first day of school practice and ending with the student’s last day on the school athletic squad, a student may receive private instruction subject to the conditions set forth in this rule.

Art. 3: Other individuals may be present at a student’s private instruction session as long as they are there in a supportive capacity only and not giving or providing instructions to the student.

NOTE: Private instruction is defined as one student receiving instruction from one person during the period of instruction.

A group is defined as two or more students receiving instruction from an instructor during the same period of instruction.

Supportive capacity is defined as participating in the period of instruction without providing any instruction
to the student or instructor or in a competitive situation/capacity.

Art. 4: A student shall not participate in group training sessions or tryouts held by colleges or other outside agencies in a sport while he or she is a member of a school athletic team in that identical sport.

Rationale:
An Anti-Tryout and Private Instruction requirement:
a. Protects the school/coach - student/athlete relationship;
b. Establishes guidelines under which a studentathlete may receive private instruction;
c. Helps preserve the school’s staffing integrity;
d. Promotes and helps protect the student/athlete relationship to the school’s team;
e. Provides opportunity for specialized individual training;
f. Prohibits student/athletes from trying out for nonschool teams during the school season of the same sport;
g. Maintains a fair competitive environment for school teams;
h. Protects the parent-child relationship.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30468 02/04/05 04:31 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
Originally posted by coachtwink:
Quote:
Originally posted by rudy23:
This is definitely against the rules. Two teams are not allowed to practice together, and I believe even one wrestler from a school constitutes a team. I am not sure, but I believe it would be counted as a competition. It is similar to football, two teams are not allowed to practice together or "scrimmage".
This is not entirely accurate!

KSHSAA has allowed a small group from a team who have qualified for the state tournament to practice with another school during the week prior to the state tournament. The coach of the guest athletes must be present and may give instruction in the joint practice session.

KSHSAA has also allowed teams traveling to Wichita for the state tournament to practice in another high school facility with the host school present at the practice session.

I can recall a Sherman County school and several Johnson County schools warming up at the same time and in the same large wrestling room, at a Wichita high school prior to weigh in at the Coliseum.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Outsiders at Wrestling Practice #30469 02/04/05 04:33 PM
P
P. Pitbull's Old Dog Offline
P
Followed by some ignored by others. Sounds like we have a few coaches looking the other way or just don't know.
Hope they don't get into trouble but most of all I hope they don't cost some kid a chance at a title or post wrestling.

Rules are rules we need to follow them or get them changed.
Remember though we don't want our Kansas kids to get to good or something, they might try to put wrestling in at KU or KSU and then what would happen to their other sports. KU would be known for its kick butt wrestlers not a bunch of tall guys sticking a ball through a hoop, and KSU football, oh I'm sorry nobody knows about them any more anyway!

Coach Peterman

Head Coach - Peterman Pitbulls
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 160 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,385
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)