Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Caldwell/refs ruling #33032 01/08/06 11:51 PM
S
sundevil Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The refs screwed up the Caldwell match at Derby-Right before he pinned Stevens; Caldwell raisied his hand in the number one gesture and then the pin was called. Goddard, appropriately so, was charged one team point. Since the infraction occured before the pin- the pin should not have counted, Caldwell penalized a point and the match resumed in referees position.

Re: Caldwell/refs ruling #33033 01/09/06 12:03 AM
U
Undertaker Offline
U
I thought it was rather exciting watching Caldwell do it. I know your not supposed to do anything like that but it got his teammates fired up and crowd. He is rather exciting to watch! He young so the sportsmanship level will come as he gets older.

Re: Caldwell/refs ruling #33034 01/09/06 12:24 AM
F
Farva2313 Offline
F
you can't just say that bad sportsmanship is acceptable because of age... all of these kids are in HIGH SCHOOL, they are supposed to be mature enough to have sportsmanship...they were taught it the very first time they ever played sports..and should definitely know by now how to act...it may of "fired up" his team but made the other fans shake their heads

Re: Caldwell/refs ruling #33035 01/09/06 12:52 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
Originally posted by sundevil:
The refs screwed up the Caldwell match at Derby-Right before he pinned Stevens; Caldwell raisied his hand in the number one gesture and then the pin was called. Goddard, appropriately so, was charged one team point. Since the infraction occured before the pin- the pin should not have counted, Caldwell penalized a point and the match resumed in referees position.
In the scenario you describe, Goddard should not have been penalized a team point.

If the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty was called prior to the fall, the penalty point is charged to the offensive wrestler. The action is to be stopped immediately, a point awarded to the defensive wrestler, and action resumed with the defensive wrestler in the down position. If near fall points had been earned prior to the penalty, the points are to be awarded to the offensive wrestler.

If the infraction occurred after the match, a team point would be deducted from the offending wrestler's team.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Caldwell/refs ruling #33036 01/09/06 01:46 AM
B
bdisney1 Offline
B
Richard - Is the critical time when the infraction occured or when it was called? What if you have 1) infraction 2) pin 3) ref signals infraction (this may occur when you have two refs on a match and the one looking for the pin doesn't see the infraction but the other one does.

Re: Caldwell/refs ruling #33037 01/09/06 02:13 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
Originally posted by bdisney1:
Richard - Is the critical time when the infraction occured or when it was called? What if you have 1) infraction 2) pin 3) ref signals infraction (this may occur when you have two refs on a match and the one looking for the pin doesn't see the infraction but the other one does.
If the unsportsmanlike call occurs from the start of the first period until the conclusion of wrestling by either a fall, technical fall, the conclusion of the third period or overtime period, you would have a match point.

If the unsportsmanlike conduct call occurs prior to the start of the match or after the conclusion of wrestling, it would be a one team point deduction.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Caldwell/refs ruling #33038 01/09/06 02:27 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Quote:
Originally posted by bdisney1:
I would suggest you ask Official 1 or Official 2 for the correct ruling.

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Caldwell/refs ruling #33039 01/09/06 02:58 AM
Shane Koranda Offline
Alex,
Richard is correct in what he's written.

There is a difference when you penalize unsportsmanlike conduct as it is connected to WHEN it occurs.
Like he said:
During the match = wrestler gets hit for the point.
Before or after = team get hit.

However, I don't think this is the place to be speaking of how/what a call was with specifics...

Shane Koranda
Towanda, Ks.
Re: Caldwell/refs ruling #33040 01/09/06 11:04 PM
A
acbulldog Offline
A
dang bronco you should of known that being a official of the year, well i guess you better stick with the novice wrestling till you read your handbook.

Re: Caldwell/refs ruling #33041 01/09/06 11:23 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Undertaker:
I thought it was rather exciting watching Caldwell do it. I know your not supposed to do anything like that but it got his teammates fired up and crowd. He is rather exciting to watch! He young so the sportsmanship level will come as he gets older.
Most of us have witnessed athletes who NEVER learn sportsmanship, particularly when adults keep saying or implying through their actions, that unsportsmanlike behavior is acceptable. I say it is never too early to learn proper sportsmanship.

Re: Caldwell/refs ruling #33042 01/10/06 01:34 AM
A
acbulldog Offline
A
Is it really that big of a deal that he put up a number 1 sign i think if your walking through opponents like he is then he can do whatever he likes till someone knocks him off, personally i would like to see more of it, he's cocky for a reason because he is number one in his weight.

Re: Caldwell/refs ruling #33043 01/10/06 01:38 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by acbulldog:
Is it really that big of a deal that he put up a number 1 sign i think if your walking through opponents like he is then he can do whatever he likes till someone knocks him off, personally i would like to see more of it, he's cocky for a reason because he is number one in his weight.
He's not ranked #1 though is he? Wasn't he ranked #5?

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Caldwell/refs ruling #33044 01/10/06 01:49 AM
A
acbulldog Offline
A
Im not sure but he would probally walk through all classes pretty easily.

Re: Caldwell/refs ruling #33045 01/10/06 02:35 AM
Chase Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by acbulldog:
Is it really that big of a deal that he put up a number 1 sign
Thats what I've been wanting to say...If he had done it in the finals of state would you all still bag on him like you are now?? if so then you would have to bag on all the people who have done things such as backflips after the state finals or point to there home crowd etc...I don't ever hear anything bad about that stuff...this was a big match for Caldwell and he got caught up in the moment...and were not coached to do things like that...we've never ment to offend anyone at anytime...

Hey Butt-Head what did people do before they invented TV?
Don't be stupid Beavis there's always been TV, there's just more channels now.
Oh yeah, heh heh hehe... progress is cool. Heh hehe heh
Re: Caldwell/refs ruling #33046 01/10/06 06:22 PM
M
mamasawn Offline
M
I don't think holding up the #1 sign after a win is unsportsman like, doing it to the crowd while you have your opponent in a pin hold is. I think he should be punished by having Coach Jilka sit on him.

Re: Caldwell/refs ruling #33047 01/10/06 08:30 PM
KCWrestlersMom Offline
I agree with mamasawn. A #1 gesture can be acceptable in certain scenarios, especially if it is done with sincere excitement and not gloating. It makes a very big difference when and how it is done.

Re: Caldwell/refs ruling #33048 01/10/06 08:38 PM
W
W. Heights AD Offline
W
MOVE ON! NEXT TOPIC!

Coach Church

"Well spoken words have great value, but hard work has it's own rewards"
Re: Caldwell/refs ruling #33049 01/10/06 10:03 PM
A
acbulldog Offline
A
oldtimeplayer i think he did earn his respect by pinning him and if your wrestling someone and your able to dominate him were you can hold up the number one sign I think he better respect him, or next time he can give him a wet willy before he pins him.

Re: Caldwell/refs ruling #33050 01/10/06 11:36 PM
B
Bob the Car Offline
B
I am not sure why everyone has their knickers in a twist over JUST THIS incident, unless it is fueled somewhat by sour grapes about Goddard's success.

No where in the forum has the behavior of the BC wrestler vs Omaha Burke come up. It was a smaller weight, don't remember if it was 103 or 112. OMB beat BC and when they were to shake and get the hand raised, off comes BC's head gear and he doesn't stay to shake and makes a half-baked pass by the OMB coach. The OMB coach, and I was within hearing distance, simply told the BC kid he ought to not leave the ring before the appropriate "niceties" take place, I do believe the OMB coach caught the arm of the BC kid, in an effort to slow his exit, but it was in no way threatening or abusive (tho the OMB coach prob outweighed the lil' feller by a 100 lbs, could have been intimidating), but the BC coach and THEN the wrestler's dad! were over in the face of the OMB coach, MATSIDE!. The ref's were otherwise occupied by then in the next match, but it happened right there, matside. The BC coach AND the dad should have made the kid apologize, but instead, jumped to his defense. I haven't read ONE word about that lovely little dust up.

What about the AC kid that got all in Freeman's face after a tough defeat. Word overheard in the stands was the AC coach even warned the Goddard kid to stick to his folks, cuz the AC kid had a nasty temper. To his credit, he did come and apologize later. Good for him and good for the sport!

The 160 weight class had a loser who didn't even show up for the awards after a hotly contested match where he was visibly dissapointed, he's actually missing from the pix, so there is photo proof.

So, if it is a wrestler's misbehavior, it is a coach's responsibility to correct that behavior, hence the word "coach".

HOWEVER, fan behavior is different. A coach has his hands full at a tourney, he may be able to speak to the wrestlers about passing on to certain parents any corrections he thinks need to be made, but, as was the case last weekend, some of the unruliest fans were not parents of a wrestler. They may have been a team's supporter, but not family. They could have been anybody who paid their $5 to get in. If there was drinking, as had been alleged, then there is security for that purpose. If there were obscenities, there is security for that. Wrestling is supposed to be a family friendly sport and no one needs foul mouths or tipsy fans. If is was simply, as had been posted in another thread, disgruntlement at the decibel level of some team's supporters, how on earth do you suppose to regulate that? There were no airhorns, no cowbells, no shakers, simply voices raised in support. And, as the wrestlers will attest, it did spur on some performances.

There was plenty of misbehavior, and I am not excusing any of it, however, I do notice a bias among those commenting on this thread and a few others, that somehow only Goddard was unruly and somehow that it is a coach's fault. Coach Jilka is one of the finest men I know. He works hard to teach these kids about character, because he, like all coaches, knows that there is very little "career" in this sport, so what you take from it after all this work better be something more valuable. He has been a driving force in encouraging gentlemanly behavior in a rough and tumble sport. He is often the one to signal a kid to "calm down, keep it even tempered" when he sees the adrenaline ratcheting up. So, for people to besmirch his good name anywhere in this forum is incorrect.

It does reflect poorly on any school when a supporter misbehaves, and it makes the rest of us wish they would crawl under a rock, but to put that at a coach's feet is more burden than any coach needs.

Re: Caldwell/refs ruling #33051 01/10/06 11:46 PM
yo mama Offline
Since BC and OMB are both Catholic schools,
that kind of behavior is especially
intolerable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 149 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)