Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37192 07/06/05 01:46 PM
TCarmona Offline
How many spectators will have to get turned away. If they have it televised like 321a state that will be cool.

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37193 07/07/05 06:50 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
I haven't even heard of participants that have signed up yet, though I expect that to happen once the season starts.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37194 07/08/05 10:18 PM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
This will be a great tournament to watch. It will be the biggest tournament of the year I think. It will be the best of the best, whoever wins truely deserves it. Any great weight classes to look out for next year?

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37195 07/09/05 03:32 AM
Trego Wrestler Offline
125-135. Baker Lloyd and Weatherbee. are always around the same weight class.
189 and HWT will be down.
All of those r 3-2-1a

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37196 08/26/05 09:01 PM
N
notimer Offline
N
okay, so let me get this straight. this is gonna be one big tourney, with a lot of the best in kansas. here's a few questions: is this going to go against the points you hvae for the season? or is it not a high school affiliated tourney?. the schedule up quite a ways says it is set up for 32 man brackets, when in reality it is only set up for a 16. unless he failed to mention a round. ? . and last: how will we know whos going to this tournament. im not going to go unless there is some real competition... are the wrestlers going to sign up and be posted? oh and what is going to be the criteria for seeding?? you could do it randomly (leaving the chance for all 4 state champs to be a quarter-final) ???

just a few questions i would like to be clarified

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37197 08/26/05 10:02 PM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Quote:
Originally posted by notimer:
okay, so let me get this straight. this is gonna be one big tourney, with a lot of the best in kansas. here's a few questions: is this going to go against the points you hvae for the season? or is it not a high school affiliated tourney?. the schedule up quite a ways says it is set up for 32 man brackets, when in reality it is only set up for a 16. unless he failed to mention a round. ? . and last: how will we know whos going to this tournament. im not going to go unless there is some real competition... are the wrestlers going to sign up and be posted? oh and what is going to be the criteria for seeding?? you could do it randomly (leaving the chance for all 4 state champs to be a quarter-final) ???

just a few questions i would like to be clarified
The tournament will be a 32 man bracket possibly larger if needed from what I understand.

The tournament will cost you competition points but are well worth the competition if you are good enough.

This will draw a lot of attention and great competitors as they only want State Caliber/Quality kids. I'm sure there won't be "bracket fillers" or "fish" in these brackets. So you want good competition go to a 2 day tournament anywhere, you want TOP OF THE LINE go the FHSU tournament.

The entries will be posted online as it states in the initial post by Bob Phillips. Seeding will drawn randomly I believe.

Alex

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37198 08/29/05 06:55 PM
B
bobphillips Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Coach Bickley call and information will be sent out to all High School with in the next week. More information will be posted.

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37199 08/29/05 06:57 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Glad to know information will be sent to all high schools. I think some schools that have the talent get overlooked way to often.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37200 09/01/05 12:53 PM
S
Shelstin Offline
S
I really hate to question this, but I have doubts that this tournament will come around like we hope that it will. First, even though it is sanctioned by KSHSAA, I doubt that many coaches will encourage their wrestlers, especially their best, to miss a team tournament, thus losing points in their regular season tournaments. Most teams with outstanding wrestlers have tough schedules, and see strong competition every weekend. To be honest, it is the 321A kids that may feel a need to prove something. Norton may have been the best team in the state last year, and there have been years that Hoxie could have made that same claim. THOSE kids may be hungry to prove a point, and in my mind, is what makes the tournanent interesting.

Rick Cue
ExHC
Ulysses
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37201 09/01/05 04:45 PM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
321A as a class has nothing to prove, but eastern KS 321A does with the exception of Silver Lake. We'll see who the best of the best are... I can't wait for December already.

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37202 09/01/05 05:08 PM
KCWrestlersMom Offline
Maybe not. I agree with Shelstin, in looking at the team first, many coaches may opt not to pull their top wrestlers from other tournaments to allow them the extra competition points for this. It's not the coaches' fault, they're coaches for teams, not agents for college-potential athletes. It's too bad the athletes have to be restricted this way by KSHSAA.

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37203 09/01/05 07:11 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by KCWrestlersMom:
Maybe not. I agree with Shelstin, in looking at the team first, many coaches may opt not to pull their top wrestlers from other tournaments to allow them the extra competition points for this. It's not the coaches' fault, they're coaches for teams, not agents for college-potential athletes. It's too bad the athletes have to be restricted this way by KSHSAA.
I agree. I don't see many coaches allowing their wrestlers to attend this event and give up team points at another tournament.

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37204 09/01/05 07:13 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by KCWrestlersMom:
I agree with the way you said that. I know athletes should be allowed to compete without restrictions, but it sounds like FHSU just wants to restrict the tournament to the best...well the fact of the matter is no team has 14 weights with 14 state placers in it. I think some coaches should just bring a full roster to this regardless and let people see what they can prove.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37205 09/01/05 07:22 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Sweazy:
I agree with the way you said that. I know athletes should be allowed to compete without restrictions, but it sounds like FHSU just wants to restrict the tournament to the best...well the fact of the matter is no team has 14 weights with 14 state placers in it. I think some coaches should just bring a full roster to this regardless and let people see what they can prove.
The problem is most coaches probably already had signed contracts for other tournaments for this year before this tournament came about. For those wanting a type of grand state tournament I just don't see that happening unless it happens after the regular season and with KSHSAA sanction.
I should have added in my previous post, that as a fan, I don't want my team giving up team points to have a few wrestlers attend this event. To me, every tournament is about team first and individual accomplishments second.

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37206 09/02/05 12:37 PM
S
Shelstin Offline
S
I certainly don't mean to begin any negativity, but I don't think that the tournament will work as it is now. I would love to see KSHSAA sanction a grand state event. I believe that this would do two things. First, it would allow college coaches to see the best wrestle the best late in the season and not immediately after most of these kids have taken down the better half of a turkey and a mandatory five day moratorium on practice. It would be another showcase for Kansas wrestlers. It would also extend the season another week, and the states top seniors would be one week closer to High School Nationals. Extending the season another week may be KSHSAA's primary concern. Kansas has done well there, considering that we have been out of practice for 4 or 5 weeks by the time that HS Nationals rolls around. It is a perfect opportunity for small school red chip kids to show what they can do. Many small school kids, and many wrestlers in general, may not have the resources, whether it be financial or time, to allow them to wrestle the big summer tournaments. The costs of motels, entries, and now gas is prohibitive for many. I would like to see KSHSAA understand that extending the season another week could be of great potential benefit to some kids that may not be able to continue their education any other way. We could also argue the need for increased opportunities, but the Title IX argument is best left for another thread.

Rick Cue
ExHC
Ulysses
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37207 09/06/05 08:31 PM
24/7 Offline
Many of the top wrestlers with go and their coaches with either agree or encourage them to sit a dual tournament early in the year or something. I have talked to several that are going to do that.

24/7

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37208 09/07/05 02:05 PM
B
bobphillips Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I received this letter from Coach Bickley today. He will be mailing this out to all High school wrestling coaches today.

September 8, 2005

Dear Coaches,

I am writing this letter to inform you of an upcoming high school event that will be sponsored by FHSU. The wrestling tournament will be called the FHSU New Years Clash and will take place on Thursday through Friday, December 29-30, 2005. This tournament has been sanctioned by the KSHSAA.

The tournament is still a work in progress and we will do our best to host a first class event. In working with Bob Phillips, he had contacted me about the possibility of hosting an event to try and bring together some of the best wrestlers in the state of Kansas. This will give wrestlers a chance to test themselves against opponents who they might never get the chance to see, unless they come to this tournament. We chose the end of December for a couple of reasons. First, I did not want to take away form any high school tournaments that are already in place. Second, the students will not have to miss any classes. The entry fee will be $25 per wrestler, no team discounts will be given. Entries will be done on-line through Bob Phillips at http://www.holton.k12.ks.us/tech/fhsu

Please understand that this tournament is open to any high school wrestler that wants to come and test their skills against some of the best. With your help we are hoping that this becomes an event where spectators get a chance to see the match ups everybody wants.

Details of the event will be finalized as we get closer, but for now please pass the word. This is just another opportunity for wrestlers to test their skills and get some great competition. If you have any further questions you can contact Bob Phillips, Rick Bowden, or myself and we will do our best to answer them. Enjoy your year and I look forward to the start of wrestling season.

Sincerely,

Cody G Bickley
FHSU Head Wrestling Coach

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37209 11/12/05 03:44 PM
A
acbulldog Offline
A
You guys are talking about 32 man brackets I bet the biggest bracket in the tourny has 10 people at the most, it's just going to be kids that live around hays area. Not to bash the new years clash nationals or nothing.

Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37210 11/27/05 07:10 AM
I
Its_Over Offline
I
the only disadvantage i see is that the wrestlers that are competeing won't be at peak preformance. because maintaining peak preformance all season is nearly impossible. i know of several programs that have their wreslters peak in their endurance and strength right at regional and state time.
but "oh my!!!!" would there be some awesome wrestling. you could call it the "Sunflower Showdown" i got ten $10 says that norton and 2 of the NWKL schools places in the top 10.

I hope they can pull it off and schools can make room in their schedules for this.

Leave no Doubt in your mind
Re: FHSU NEW YEARS CLASH (FOR HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS) #37211 12/06/05 05:24 PM
parkwayred Offline
So how many teams and or young men do you guys have committed? What teams are going to be in attendance?

I’m not very smart… but I can lift heavy things!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Derek Patterson), 133 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,939
Posts250,371
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)