Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37510 03/17/05 04:56 PM
C
Coach Poague Offline
C
Where is Cornejo going Gut?

Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37511 03/18/05 02:46 AM
J
Josh Carroll Offline
J
I think kansas kids have enough talent to go D1. However there isn't any big tournments for us to travel to because the state of kansas won't let us.Thats how so many kids get overlooked that are D1 big example Andrew Ubben TJ Stabb and many more from the class of 2002 we don't get the attention we deserve they need to get this fixed. For are future kids that are going to be great. Example for this year Tristen Deshazzer sorry about the spelling he needs to go outside of kansas and wrestle the best. Go to the RTC in Reno the Beast of the East the Iron Man just one that will give us the looks from D1 programs. This was a very talented class this year. Very happy to say I'm from kansas.

Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37512 03/18/05 02:50 AM
J
Josh Carroll Offline
J
I would like to have Cornejo take a look at Appalchian State University I think he could come in and do a great job.

Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37513 03/18/05 11:18 AM
Mike Furches Offline
App State is a great school in the beautiful North Carolina, Tennessee Mountains. Joe would have a definite, dramatic, and immediate impact at this school. They wrestle some tough competition as well that could get him immediate recognition on a national level.

Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37514 03/18/05 03:38 PM
F
former carroll 152# Offline
F
If KSHAA would loosen their restrictions on KS wrestling (i.e. Let coaches work with their wrestlers during freestyle season, Let them go to big tough tournaments that are out of state) Then their would be more wrestlers recruited to DI schools.

I think the top wrestlers in KS definitely have a good shot at being successful at DI.

Jacob Klein, Joe Johnston, and Shawn Bunch all seem to be doing well.

There is a difference between interest and commitment. When you interested in doing something you do it when its convenient. When your committed to something you accept no excuses, only results.
-Kenneth Blanchard
Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37515 03/18/05 03:41 PM
F
former carroll 152# Offline
F
last thought: i'm in iowa right now and they think that KS wrestling is crap. some people up here think that if your a SQ in iowa you could win state in KS.

obviously i don't agree with them.

There is a difference between interest and commitment. When you interested in doing something you do it when its convenient. When your committed to something you accept no excuses, only results.
-Kenneth Blanchard
Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37516 03/18/05 09:32 PM
Wrestling Scholar Offline
Former Carrol 152

Iowa is good, but not that good. Wrestled a lot of Iowa state placers when I was in college and I won a majority of them. Had a lot of kids from Iowa on our team, who always bragged about how good Iowa was. They do as about as well or similar at the National level as KS. Kansas has even fared much better at SR National tournament than Iowa over the past years.

Look how successful Kansas kids are doing this weekend at NCAA. 2 in semis and 4 in the quarters at this point.

Good comparison of surrounding states with wrestlers at NCAA's.

KS 7 (zero Di programs)

Iowa 12 (3 D1 Progrmams)
CO 6 (zero D1 Programs)
OK 6 (2 Big Time D1 programs)
MO 5 (1 D1 program)
NE ? (1 D1 Program)

Maybe the grass isn't greener on the other side and Kansas kids are recruited as well local states with similar populations.

I see a lot of talk on how good Oklahoma wrestling is but see KS has more kids at the NCAA's than the Mighty Oklahoma.

Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37517 03/19/05 06:31 PM
K
KSmac54 Offline
K
gutwrench......u suck

Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37518 03/19/05 06:46 PM
M
mike fairleigh Offline
M
2 KS. WRESTLERS IN THE NCAA FINALS. I BELIEVE THAT PUTS THE STATE WAY ABOVE AVERAGE REPRESENTATION. BAG ON IT ALL YOU LIKE , NUMERICALLY WITH 40 PERCENT OF THE TOTAL GUYS PARTICIPATING AT THAT LEVEL IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS, YOU WOULD BE HARD PRESSED TO DO BETTER. THERE WERE 2 LAST YEAR, AS WELL. MAYBE SOMEWHERE THE D1 GUYS MAY BE CONSIDERING A CLOSER LOOK AT KS. WRESTLERS.

Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37519 03/19/05 07:49 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by mike fairleigh:
2 KS. WRESTLERS IN THE NCAA FINALS. I BELIEVE THAT PUTS THE STATE WAY ABOVE AVERAGE REPRESENTATION. BAG ON IT ALL YOU LIKE , NUMERICALLY WITH 40 PERCENT OF THE TOTAL GUYS PARTICIPATING AT THAT LEVEL IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS, YOU WOULD BE HARD PRESSED TO DO BETTER. THERE WERE 2 LAST YEAR, AS WELL. MAYBE SOMEWHERE THE D1 GUYS MAY BE CONSIDERING A CLOSER LOOK AT KS. WRESTLERS.
Maybe our two finalists were in brackets where they could simply ride their way to the finals and not have to work from their feet.

Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37520 03/19/05 11:33 PM
D. Fairleigh Offline
don't know about Bunch, but Johnston's route to the finals was not quite as you said, all he had to do was beat the no. 5 seed, percival of Ohio, and the #1 seed, tirapelle, of Illinois. the match with Tirapelle was decided by Johnston taking him down in the second period, then choosing to start in the neutral position, and taking him down again. If all Ks. wrestlers are mud turtles when it comes to takedowns, how did that happen? The fact is, even if you get a relatively "easy" draw, the whole supposed point of this thread seems to be that D1 guys are just so good that they could beat God and that no Kansas wrestler is fit to shine their shoes. That is just not the case, and I would submit to you that the performance of the Kansas competitors in the last 2 NCAA seasons pretty well bear that out. (By the way, this is not D. Fairleigh, but his Dad.)

Fortunes Favors the Brave
Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37521 03/20/05 02:36 AM
Nigel Isom Offline
Don't worry, only gutwrench thinks that.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37522 03/20/05 03:05 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
I don't know about you guys but riding wasn't a factor at all in the Finals, all they did was wrestle on their feet

Alex

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37523 03/20/05 03:06 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Quote:
Originally posted by Bronco Wrestler:
I don't know about you guys but riding wasn't a factor at all in the Finals, all they did was wrestle on their feet

Alex
thus there were no riding time points awarded, in gutwrenches world that is

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37524 03/20/05 03:28 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Bronco Wrestler:

Alex
This is simply a false statement and an inaccurate analogy. I was in the St. Louis and watched the finals and the ability to ride an opponent definetly attributed to the outcome of several matches. In the Lee - Bunch match, Lee's ability to ride Bunch and trap Bunch's left leg eliminated much of Bunch's offense. Bunch was unable to utilize his explosive speed and quickness.

In the final matches riding time was a factor in six (6) of the ten (10) matches allowing the champion to control the match.

Championship Finals

125 Pounds
Joe Dubuque (Indiana) dec. Kyle Ott (Illinois), 2-0
With riding time Dubuque wins 2-0

133 Pounds
Travis Lee (Cornell) dec. Shawn Bunch (Edinboro), 6-3
With riding time, Lee wins 6-3

141 Pounds
Teyon Ware (Oklahoma) dec. Nate Gallick (Iowa State), 3-2
No Riding Time

149 Pounds
Zack Esposito (Oklahoma State) dec. Phillip Simpson (Army), 5-2
With riding time, Esposito wins 5-2

157 Pounds
Ryan Bertin (Michigan) dec. Joe Johnston (Iowa), 8-5
With riding time Bertin wins 8-5

165 Pounds
Johny Hendricks (Oklahoma State) dec. Mark Perry (Iowa), 5-2
With riding time Hendricks wins 5-2

174 Pounds
Chris Pendleton (Oklahoma State) dec. Ben Askren (Missouri), 10-5
With riding time Pendleton wins 10-5

184 Pounds
Greg Jones (West Virginia) dec. Tyler Baier (Cornell)
No Riding Time

197 Pounds
Jake Rosholt (Oklahoma State) dec. Sean Stender (Northern Iowa), 5-4
No Riding Time

285 Pounds
Steve Mocco (Oklahoma State) dec. Cole Konrad (Minnesota), 3-1 SV

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37525 03/20/05 03:59 PM
VS Vike coach Offline
Ok -- this is my last post on this subject, and it's one -- as someone who's coached in Kansas and RESPECTS the coaches and wrestlers here -- that I feel I can speak to with some level of objective intelligence.

Kids like Eric Akin, Joe Johnston, Zach Robeson, Scott Coleman, Shawn Bunch, Matt Murray, Josh Carroll and others are and were exceptional talents. No one is denying that, and no matter what state they are from, they would have been exceptional talents. That isn't even the point of debate at this point.

What we're talking about here is a lack of exposure of college wrestling to the rank and file Kansas high school wrestler. During my time there I saw many talented wrestlers whose careers ended in Hays or Wichita because the idea of college wrestling probably never really occured to them.

But when you've only got one (well, two now) four-year schools with the sport, what do yo expect. Kids of this same level of talent in Iowa or Oklahoma or Pennsylania, or wherever have other options. They can easily get exposed to the sport at a higher level at a young age and can aspire to it.

Having college wrestling in your state and area does raise the level of the sport. Waverly, Iowa is home to both Wartburg College (one of the powers of Division III wrestling) and the Class 3A (combine 6A & 5A) Waverly-Shell Rock High School which won the State tournament this year. Along with being the home of the Iowa Hawkeyes, Iowa City is also home to City and West Highs, annually two of the top five to 10 teams in 3A. The University of Northern Iowa is located in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls metro area, home to Cedar Falls High and Dan Gable's alma mater, Waterloo West.

The fact is that Kansas wrestling is pretty good in some ways. Like most states there are some tremendous individuals. But for the overall level to improve, college wrestling needs to become bigger in the state. I felt that when I coached in Kansas and I feel it even stronger today. But it's not going to happen through self-justifying posts here and it's not going to happen without a lot of hard work.

Keep up the good work Kansas and then do a little more.

Good dreams don't come cheap, you have to pay for them....
— Harry Chapin, 1976
Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37526 03/20/05 04:44 PM
coachtwink Offline
VS Vike Coach,
I think you are missing the original point of the post. Gutwrench stated that the way Kansas coaches and officiates its wrestling holds our kids back at the national level. These posts are simply rebuttals to his unjustified opinions. I would think that everyone on this forum would love to see Kansas develop more 4 year wrestling programs and would absolutely be supportive of a D1 program.

Any fool can criticize, complain, and condemn- and most do.
Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37527 03/20/05 04:46 PM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Mr. Salyer I was being sarcastic in my post, I seen man of the finalist riding, and doing a good job at it

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37528 03/20/05 05:32 PM
M
Michael Malay Offline
M
u mean stalling in the finals. although i have hardly anyroom to talk.

Re: Why Kansas wrestling turns off Division One Coaches. #37529 03/20/05 10:57 PM
G
Gary Ulmer Offline
G
Not having many colleges that wrestle does more harm to the sport in Kansas than not providing opportunities to our own athletes. Additional four year schools with wrestling programs would benefit the coaching pool in Kansas, also. Many of those young men would graduate with degrees in education wanting to fill coaching postions here in this state. The technical skills of those former college athletes as coaching candidates would be huge.

The states that surround Kansas all have several colleges that offer the sport, and they have former college wrestlers coaching clear down into their kids clubs. There has to be a great many skills that are being passed along to those young wrestlers. In Kansas we send many of our best wrestlers off to complete their college careers in those other states, and to later occupy coaching positions in those states.

I know that was not the point of this topic originally, but the conversation drifted in that direction and I had something to say.

Gary Ulmer

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 188 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)