Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43914 04/11/04 05:58 AM
BKP#2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Cole Garcia's a great wrestler, but he hasn't won 2 state titles and he lost to Orozco at Phillipsburg before Annon beat Orozco in the finals. Annon got Honorable Mention his sophomore year when he got 5th at state. How can he get it now when he won state for the second year in a row? I'm not trying to start anything or whatever, but Annon should have been on the 2nd team, not Honorable Mention. So let's vote and see who everybody thinks should have been higher.

Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 01/01/70 12:00 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Back in Black... and y'all are never goin' back.
Re: Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43915 04/11/04 06:13 PM
Boogy Man Offline
That's a good question BKN#2. I had pondered that question myself. Makes sense to me that Annon should have been selected for 2nd team. Must be one of those media things we're not supposed to understand.

Re: Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43916 04/11/04 09:51 PM
Nigel Isom Offline
Or Maybe cause Cole Garcia beat Jake Kriegbaum and James did not. And he was in the finals against a 3 timer so you can't really expect him to win. But who really cares? Its just a distinction, it doesn't mean one wrestler is better than another. I think Cole deserved to be where he was.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43917 04/11/04 11:04 PM
JhrisCennings Offline
What do you mean you can't expect him to win? He beat him in the finals the week before, so anything can be expected. I think that Annon should have been selected to 2nd team, but Garcia did deserve it somewhat. The reason he got 2nd team is because he did beat the 1st team guy, and Annon didn't. I would have personally given it to Annon, being a 2-timer, and since Garcia is only a runner-up, he should be honorable mention. Even if Garcia had beaten Kreigbaum in the finals, Jake would still have been 1st team. So I think the priority should go to the number of state championships won. Jake, James, then Cole.

So this kid is putting on his shoes right, and his mom says, honey you're putting your shoes on the wrong feet, and the little kid says, no mom these are my feet
Re: Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43918 04/11/04 11:19 PM
Boogy Man Offline
Well said Jhris!!!

Re: Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43919 04/12/04 01:39 AM
G
Glick125 Offline
G
And bad said Nigel!!!

Re: Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43920 04/12/04 01:41 AM
Nigel Isom Offline
Understand Jhris the award is based on performance for the year, not your career, so being a two timer is hnot really a consideration. And yes people are expected to win all the time, doesn't mean they do. Jake was expected to beat Cole at regionals and did not. The awards were given the way they should have been and I completly agree with them.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43921 04/12/04 02:59 AM
JhrisCennings Offline
If they were based on your performance during the year, then why didn't Annon and Kreigbaum share 1st team? They were both state champs, and Cole was the runner-up. Jake didn't wrestle James either, so if they're based on THAT year, they should tie for 1st team. And the fact that he's a 4-timer and hes a 3-timer shouldn't matter.

So this kid is putting on his shoes right, and his mom says, honey you're putting your shoes on the wrong feet, and the little kid says, no mom these are my feet
Re: Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43922 04/12/04 03:02 AM
JhrisCennings Offline
Excuse me, 2-timer.

Re: Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43923 04/12/04 04:55 AM
Nigel Isom Offline
There is no shared first team, someone has to be selcted first, second, and so on. Im not sure what James record was this year, but that might have been a factor. But im sure the way the paper looked at is, Jake won state hes was a 3X'er Cole beat him at regionals, and then met up with him in the state finals. Which makes him the second best at that weight an Class. Now THe didn't want to leave James out but he didn't beat a 4X'er the week previously. There are lots more reasons, but why cry about it? Its over and done with. Obviously the people at the paper think Cole's season was more impressive than James, that doesn't mean hes a better wrestler. But to be perfectly fair, James has never beat Jake, and Cole has.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43924 04/12/04 05:40 AM
BKP#2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, going by that reasoning, Orozco got second at state and he beat Garcia, so he should b ahead of Kriegbaum. Doesn't make much sense Nigel. Where do you get this stuff? From the talking oven mitt?!?

Back in Black... and y'all are never goin' back.
Re: Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43925 04/12/04 05:00 PM
JhrisCennings Offline
It does matter, you see. Nigel, James IS a state champion. Cole is not. Therefore James had a better season, giving him more right to 2nd team honors. No one is doubting that Jake deserves 1st team, he does, hes a beast. We're just saying that priority should go to state champions. Cole was a finalist, something you know nothing about, and he deserved some recognition. He did not win, though. He should have been honorable mention, straight up homie.

Re: Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43926 04/12/04 05:22 PM
Boogy Man Offline
Nigel look at the poles, so far the majority thinks differently than you, imagine that!

Cole is a good wrestler and is still earning his way just like Annon and many others have done in their careers.

Oh, and someday maybe you will be able to pull your head out of the toilet and become a Manager at Arby's, but in the meantime you are earning your way... Have a nice day Will.

Re: Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43927 04/12/04 06:50 PM
Nigel Isom Offline
I think you missed the point of my posts. I gave you the reasons why Cole was selected and you completly ignored what I said. Jhris and pretty much everyone else who doesn't understand. Being a State champion doesn't automatically entitle you to be first team. It also doens't mean you had a better season than someone. There have been plenty of people who got third and second place at state and only had one loss, who were far better than some State champions with 9 losses. Its all about how good your season was, who you beat, and how convincing you did it in. The same goes for many sports. Jason White was the heisman winner and OU wasn't that national champions! thats a good anology there, Think of cole as a Jason White, a very very good wrestler who had a few slips ups. Regardless of anything that I just said, IT IS OVER! COLE IS 2nd Team, James is not, if you don't like it you can cry about it for all I care, but whining about it, or trying to deduce why it happened won't get you anywhere. And personally I think your taking alot of credit away from a kid who did something that only 2 other people did not including your 1st team nominee. Congratualtions to Cole on your selection, I look forward to watching you in your next two years.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43928 04/12/04 07:03 PM
TheChosenOne Offline
They said that Cole shouldn't have been 2nd team, idiot, not 1st team. You're right about the season part, though. James did have a better season, which would entitle him to 2nd team honors. Actually, both wrestlers had one loss all year, so an arguement could be made for first team, but that's not what they're saying. Your last post talked about Cole being 1st team and James being 2nd team and it confused everyone, including yourself. Jake and James both had one loss, but they were state champions. On paper, they're the same. Cole had more than one loss and took second, so he's below BOTH wrestlers, Nigel, both of them.

You think you know, but you have no idea. And neither do I.
Re: Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43929 04/12/04 07:12 PM
L
L Grater Offline
L
Contact the Salina Journal. I'm sure they can tell you their reasoning!!

Re: Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43930 04/12/04 07:15 PM
Boogy Man Offline
So...Nigel, if someone else has an opinion on this matter, that doesn't agree with you or the Journal, you consider it crying and whining? Oh, you almighty one let us bow to you, for only your opinion matters. You are a joke!

Re: Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43931 04/12/04 07:18 PM
Boogy Man Offline
llg, this is more fun though. We like to bat each other around. It's all good, not to worry.

Re: Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43932 04/12/04 07:41 PM
P
pizzaboy Offline
P
To BKP #2:

The reason may be because another Norton wrestler, Jordan Hausserman, was placed on the 2nd team over another Colby wrestler, Schuyler Sharpe, who beat Hausserman, this year, last year, and the year before. The Journal must not have seen the P-burg results.

Re: Why is Cole Garcia over James Annon in the Salina Journal All-Area picks? #43933 04/12/04 07:52 PM
Nigel Isom Offline
Boogie Man this had nothing to do with my opinion it was the Salina Journal's opinion. I simply think people are blowing this completly out or proportion. And yes you are whining if the only thing you can do is complain that James should have been 2nd team. But as long as we are making excuses here is one that I have thought up. Maybe the fact that the Salina Journal offers almost no wrestling covergage during the year may suggest why the picks were made. Honestly Salina is a football town and thats pretty much all they care about, I know I lived 20 miles away and read the Journal every day for 10 years. You will find more writing about football in one Saturday paper than you will all season long for wrestling. What im saying is because the sports people at the Journal don't follow wrestling too closely (since they like full page articles on stupid a** basketball) maybe they have no idea how to pick people for these teams.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 164 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,383
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)