Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Aquinas and its transfers #49350 02/11/05 07:48 PM
KCWrestlersMom Offline
The Markeys wrestled for Olathe North, but they were junior high students. They did not attend Olathe North as students. The way the Olathe school system works, the only link to the high school is for sports, and possibly music, debate, etc., but I am not sure on that. I believe this is allowed so that 9th graders with the ability and talent to compete on a Jr. Varsity or Varsity team are not penalized unfairly in comparison to most districts, where 9th graders are freshmen attending the high school. Academically, Olathe 9th graders are junior high students. They have to change to another school after their freshman year no matter what, so they are not considered transfers.

I believe it is also possible for an Olathe 9th grader to compete on an Olathe high school team and still attend and compete for a different Olathe team as a sophomore without penalty, as again, they are not considered transfers. I think that there is at least one very talented wrestler that falls into this situation competing this year as well.

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #49351 02/11/05 07:52 PM
parkwayred Offline
I don’t think that anybody from Manhattan really cares that STA has the top team in 6a. I would be willing to guess that most of the complaints come from the people in the Metro area. These are the schools that are affected by the so-called allegations. The young men from Manhattan will be in Wichita ready to defend their title. So to say that we better be willing to accept that there is a new power in the classification… not without a fight. We at Manhattan know what it is to be the underdog and we relish the challenge for years to come. The kids still have to wrestle to bring it home. And lights are bright in the Coliseum.

I’m not very smart… but I can lift heavy things!
Re: Aquinas and its transfers #49352 02/11/05 09:58 PM
B
blitzkrieg Offline
B
Which is why it's hillarious that everyone is complaining about Aquinas NOW. They have the #1 ranking, which doesn't mean squat. (Although the have beatin Hutch and Goddard head to head.) They also have new kids from last years team that are ranked, big deal.

So why all the accusations? Simple, insecure people have to tear down a team that is getting a lot of attention thus far. It's unfounded. Besides beating Hutch, Goddard, and Turner, they haven't done anything more. State will be their true test. I said at the beginning of the season, that if Aquinas could get in the top 3 it will be a successful season. I still think that's the case. I think they have a shot at the title depending on the seeding and such.

But to point fingers at Aquinas for things in which you know NOTHING, absolutly nothing about is plain ignorance and proof of your own insecurites. Your complaint is that a private school kid transfered to another private school. That's it! Do you see how stupid this is? Then it gets to recruiting and that a rogue parent (still unfounded) alledgedly called another parent or two.

If you have any proof of wrong doing report it. You won't, because you have nothing. However, if you feel your case is worthy, here is the contact information:

The Kansas State High School Activities Association
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 495,
Topeka, KS 66601-0495
Physical Address: 601 SW Commerce Place,
Topeka, KS 66615
PHONE: (785) 273-5329
FAX: (785) 271-0236

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #49353 02/11/05 10:00 PM
LancerM Offline
You can't whine about the Markeys wrestling for Olathe North last year before going to another high school because stuff like that seems to happen in the Olathe school district. In fact, Adam Almaguer wrestled for Olathe South last year only to go to Olathe North this year.

But hey, Olathe North probably recruited him there to reload, right?

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #49354 02/13/05 04:25 AM
C
CoachDeYoe Offline
C
LancerM
Member # 1607
posted February 11, 2005 05:00 PM
------------------------------
You can't whine about the Markeys wrestling for Olathe North last year before going to another high school because stuff like that seems to happen in the Olathe school district. In fact, Adam Almaguer wrestled for Olathe South last year only to go to Olathe North this year.

But hey, Olathe North probably recruited him there to reload, right?
------------------------------

Certain arguments are completely irrelevant when being discussed towards the topic at hand. As a coach for Olathe North, I can assure you that no one within the Olathe North staff or parents group had any say in the fact that Adam's father moved residence within the Olathe North boundries during the summer. It was no different than getting a super move-in from another state, except it was a kid who we had already seen quite a bit yet personally knew very little about him prior to this season starting. Having Adam on board is a wonderful addition to the team, but in no way was it a recruiting attempt to get Adams father to change residence. We respect greatly what coach Mesa and his staff do at Olathe South, and I believe that they have a similiar respect for what we are building at North. Also note, they gained our 103lb wrestler Zach Deaton who is currently ranked in 6A.

As for the Markey boys, it was wonderful working with them last year and helping them grow into better young men as well as better wrestlers. We wish them nothing but the best in their careers wherever they are wrestling and obviously miss what they brought to our team last year. But as far as the "drama" created by this entire line of discussion- when it is all said and done we are mostly concerned with the betterment of youth athletics and the ethical behavior of schools doing what is right for the kids. Having Paul and Scott in the middle of this discussion is not fair for those two wonderful sophomore boys because the decisions made were beyond their control. They should be left alone to wrestle and enjoy their sport, not be put on the spot in the middle of this complete "who is right or wrong" fiasco. That should be left for the State Athletics Association to determine. Leave the Markey family alone.

Their opportunity to wrestle for quality coaches, be it two former Metro Classic, Senior National Team, and Cadet National Team Coaches here at Olathe North or the great coaching staff at Aquinas is only going to help them become marketable college prospects in due time. We wish them nothing but the best and care for them very much.

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #49355 02/13/05 01:37 PM
No.1 MATBACKER Offline
Back to your kids club. Nobody ever said STA doesnt have a great kids club...but tell us, how does it feel when you support the kids club, your children wrestle for the kids club, then when it comes time for High school, you are replaced due to,"building a state champion team",or"recruiting". I seem to remember MOST of STAs varsity line-up wrestled for other kids teams.(Olathe South, Olathe,KCK, and so on) If it is truelly the education that these parents are transfering for, I say great move, but honestly the public will never know. It would be interestling to see the ratio of transfers that do not play sports verses the transfers that are book worms.

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #49356 02/13/05 02:13 PM
boach_clack Offline
PARKWAYRED--I don’t think that anybody from Manhattan really cares that STA has the top team in 6a. I would be willing to guess that most of the complaints come from the people in the Metro area. These are the schools that are affected by the so-called allegations. The young men from Manhattan will be in Wichita ready to defend their title. So to say that we better be willing to accept that there is a new power in the classification… not without a fight. We at Manhattan know what it is to be the underdog and we relish the challenge for years to come. The kids still have to wrestle to bring it home. And lights are bright in the Coliseum.

BOACH -That is the greatest post I have ever seen! You the man baby!

"Water is wet, rocks are hard, and wrestling is tough."
Re: Aquinas and its transfers #49357 02/13/05 02:31 PM
boach_clack Offline
When I grow up I wanna be like Parkwayred

"Water is wet, rocks are hard, and wrestling is tough."
Re: Aquinas and its transfers #49358 02/13/05 03:53 PM
LancerM Offline
I was being sarcastic Coach DeYoe, I know you didn't do anything wrong with Adam. I'd talked with him last year about it so I knew why he was going there and everything. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #49359 08/11/05 05:43 PM
TCarmona Offline
Bumpzilla

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #49360 08/11/05 10:23 PM
LancerM Offline
So did we have find out who gutwrench01 was? I heard it was my high school coach, Coach Sonderegger, but that kind of fizzled out. I'm curious as to who it was.

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #49361 08/27/05 02:18 PM
A
acbulldog Offline
A
I don't know why everyone is all upset about this St Thomas has won state how many times you guys are talking like the win it every year in a very watered down 6a so I don't know why we are even talking about this, if they want to get soft catholic kids then let them do it.

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #49362 08/27/05 02:53 PM
S
slap2414 Offline
S
This is a good point because when I was in high school we had a private school named Maur Hill which brought in kids from all over the world and if memory serves me right they won the 4a state football championship when I was a freshman doing just what was implied by the starter of this post. You can put spins on "why" the kids go to schools like this but from experience the education is not the factor its about "winning and getting noticed." Parents who push excelling at sports is all that matters, and this trend is growing in kids wrestling at a large rate. Take the kids state wrestling championships for example how many parents are getting into fights at state. The last few years we have had some of the teams with this attitude get caught making conterfiet floor passes at state.

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #49363 08/27/05 08:36 PM
N
notimer Offline
N
okay. i want to point out that ive been going to bishop carroll for 3 years, ill be a senior. i havent seen recruiting once. if a high school coach feels that he needs to win so badly and doesnt trust his coaching skills, and feels that he doesnt have any talent. thats just purely wrong. ive been going to catholic schools for 13 years (including this year). so here's is a little advice for you, before you start judging teams that are GOOD, look into their students/wrestlers backgrounds and see what religion they are. plus there can be a number of reasons they are going to a privite school. academics are usually better, dicipline is better, most sports are not. the biggest decline of all of these pluses is the price. if a parent wants to send their child to a cathlic *EXPENSIVE school because of a sport, i say let them, although its not right. for my case, the reason bishop carroll is so good is because of the QUALITY of coaches and the feeling of unity in the wrestling room.

leave sta alone

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 146 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,938
Posts250,370
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)