Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Season is over #50856 02/26/03 03:35 PM
Jason A. Ross Offline OP
OP Offline
Every Wrestler's Last Match

By James Emig

James Emig was a state tournament qualifier heavyweight in 1975 from Cincinnati Greenhill High School. He has worked at 12 Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships. He has seven years of coaching experience as a Junior and Senior High wrestling coach a Finneytown and St. Xavier High Schools. He has served as tournament manager of the Cincinnati division I sectional at St. Xavier high school.

This article appeared in the program for the 1993 Ohio State Wrestling Championships.

Quote:

There comes a time when every wrestler realizes his competitive career is over. Exactly when that moment occurs varies for every wrestler. For some, that realization takes place in advance of their last match; those wrestlers walk out onto the mat knowing it ends after that match. Others get caught up in the race for the top and don't really want to think about what may be their last match. It is difficult to put an end to something to which you have given so much of yourself. However, sooner or later, every wrestler grasps the reality that he has wrestled his last match, and for many, it will happen this weekend.

Looking through the stands and in the corridors of the arena at the state championships each year, you will see wrestlers whose careers are over. Sometimes you'll see a mother, sister, wrestlerette or girlfriend crying while holding him; a father looking out onto the arena floor, silently thinking about what could have been. Behind every wrestler are many others who quietly, deep within themselves, wrestle right along side him. They feel the joy of victory and the pain of defeat as if it was their own. When his career ends, much of the anguish they feel is because it is also the end of something that has meant very much to them.

It is a long, difficult road from those very first matches, marked by many defeats, to the state championships. Somewhere in between, childhood ends. Games are no longer important and boys become men. Fortunate parents witness this beautiful transition. It is not without a great deal of pain and sacrifice for the wrestlers and families alike. For most wrestler, qualifying for the Ohio State Championships represents the single greatest achievement in their young lives. For all wrestlers, qualifying represents an experience they will never forget.

No one knows what drives these young men and coaches to work so hard and sacrifice so much. The rewards come from within. This sport of wrestling brings winning and losing together such that the combination means self-improvement. This is the real reward. One wrestler can't improve without the efforts of another. The champions owe a debt to the wrestlers they have wrestled and beaten. All wrestler who finish behind the champions owe a debt to the champs because they have improved from the experience. Collectively, we all owe a debt to this great sport because we have all been touched by our involvement.

Six hundred and twenty-four wrestlers enter this tournament each year with the dream of winning that final match. A dream, however, only thirty-nine will realize. To those wrestlers who wrestle their last match this weekend, congratulations to you, no matter where you place. The reality is, there are no losers in the sport of wrestling; there are only those who did not wrestle.

Re: Season is over #50857 02/26/03 04:25 PM
R
Rodney Sayers Offline
R
Nicely said!

Re: Season is over #50858 02/26/03 04:41 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Thank you for posting that. It brought back memories to my last high school football game. All good things unfortunately one day end. All of us need to enjoy it while it lasts.

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Re: Season is over #50859 02/26/03 04:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for bringing back to me the wonderful memories of the night my son wrestled for a state championship his senior year.

Re: Season is over #50860 02/26/03 11:34 PM
S
Supercharger01 Offline
S
That was a great article and i think everyone should read it as it will help them realize the bigger picture of wrestling. How it helps mold and shape us as individuals.

Re: Season is over #50861 02/26/03 11:42 PM
D
Dhayes125 Offline
D
Thanx for that Ross

Re: Season is over #50862 02/27/03 12:15 AM
D
d-mac Offline
D
Thank you! While reading this article, it made me remember the last match my son wrestled his senior year at the Kansas State Championships. He did not place, he did not win a match, he went 0 and 2 at that tournament and I cried, not because he lost but because it was the last time to get the pleasure of watching him wrestle. It meant the end of the wrestling family as we knew it to be. I also cried because it meant the beginning of a life outside of wrestling for my son. It meant that wrestling had helped him to mature and disciplined him to be a very fine young man. I will always respect what wrestling did for him and respect him for having the determination to go to practice everyday and be humble with every win and loss he experienced. Thank you again bringing back those memories.

Re: Season is over #50863 02/27/03 12:26 AM
R
r2d2 Offline
R
that quote was so good!! glad u posted it!! i'm printing it saving it for our senior year

Re: Season is over #50864 02/27/03 12:23 PM
C
Coach Luedke Offline
C
Thanks for the post. It brought alot back. Peace.

Re: Season is over #50865 02/27/03 02:26 PM
StallionTime125 Offline
The article makes me cry. Since I'm a senior and saturday will be my last match. But I didn't think about it until I read the quote. I'm really going to miss wrestling!

Holla Bac
Re: Season is over #50866 02/27/03 08:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That was a great article, i am coming off my senior year in high school last year. I played football and wrestled and i loved both. No matter what i did to prepare myself for the end, it didnt help, the love for the sport hits you like a ton of bricks when you walk off the mat or field and realize it will be the last time you get to compete. Your coaches always tell you that they wish they could wrestle one more match or get in for one more play but most kids dont listen, and it is impossible to realize the feeling until you actually have it. I want to wish everyone good luck this weekend, especially the seniors its a great opportunity but it ends so quickly. Cherish every moment

Re: Season is over #50867 03/05/03 05:04 PM
Jason A. Ross Offline OP
OP Offline
bump

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 127 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)