Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Grand State #55828 10/07/04 05:53 AM
havid deidrick Offline OP
OP Offline
talk a little bit about grand state, mainly why they did away with it if it was such a popular event? i love the idea

Big Dave
Re: Grand State #55829 10/07/04 01:02 PM
P
P. Pitbull's Old Dog Offline
P
Great question, I would like to know that one. I've heard stories but I could not put any truth to them. Does anyone know why?
Stories have been great too.
- Title IX, it happened before title IX was really an issue.

- Wichita refs were robbing people and they couldn't find a fair place to hold it. (This is the craziest one) I probably heard it from one of my Salina buddies who got his butt kicked and still can't accept it.

- Down sizing, none of the other sports had two State Championships so why should wrestling. This one I almost believe but hey wrestling should have two. We are the oldest and grandest sport.

Any other stories on this great mystery. Or Better does anybody know the whole truth behind the demise of finding out who the real State Champion is in Kansas for Folkstyle.

Next summer we get to see for Greco and Freestyle.

Coach Peterman

Head Coach - Peterman Pitbulls
Re: Grand State #55830 10/07/04 02:44 PM
D
DOUG MOORE Offline
D
I believe the reason why the Grand State was discontinued was because the basketball Grand State failed. Wrestling, of course, was the first to be held and as far as I know was a complete success. I have never heard anyone say something negative about it. So, if wrestling has one, why shouldn't basketball? Since wrestling is part individual, part team, it made no difference what class the wrestler was from. With basketball, however, the large classes were by far much better than the smaller schools and therefore it was a failure. There was no "Hoosiers" phenomenon happening here. In conclusion, basketball didn't work, so therefore, we will not have wrestling either.

Re: Grand State #55831 10/07/04 03:24 PM
P
P
Drown out by the round ball again. I didn't even know or hear about the Basketball Grand State. That's too bad, even with the bigger schools winning it all or most of the time it would have been a great tournament to see. I remember Sacred Heart back in Salina (1970-80s) having some kick butt teams and they were only 3A.

Re: Grand State #55832 10/07/04 04:09 PM
VS Vike coach Offline
Ah, the argument that never dies...

I'm not sure what it was in the other classes, but for four years in 3-2-1A Regional coaches meetings, Dual State always had tons more support than than Grand State. As much discussion as there is on the forum I don't think it's ever going to happen.

It's not a direction KSHSAA wants to go, it's not a direction most school administrators want to go, and the feeling I always had from coaches as a whole was is was not their direction, either. Sure it's a fan favorite, which is obvious here, but the three groups mentioned above are the ones who's final opinion matters most.

Good dreams don't come cheap, you have to pay for them....
— Harry Chapin, 1976
Re: Grand State #55833 10/07/04 04:58 PM
P
P
Thats alright we still have Freestyle and Greco State in the Summer and that is where we find out who the Big Dogs of Kansas are.

What do you mean a slam? Its a suplay baby ! ! !
From their feet to their back, no stalling
just attack!

Coach Peterman

Re: Grand State #55834 10/08/04 02:46 AM
Pups4Ever Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by DOUG MOORE:
I believe the reason why the Grand State was discontinued was because the basketball Grand State failed. Wrestling, of course, was the first to be held and as far as I know was a complete success. I have never heard anyone say something negative about it. So, if wrestling has one, why shouldn't basketball? Since wrestling is part individual, part team, it made no difference what class the wrestler was from. With basketball, however, the large classes were by far much better than the smaller schools and therefore it was a failure. There was no "Hoosiers" phenomenon happening here. In conclusion, basketball didn't work, so therefore, we will not have wrestling either.
Something interesting about Grand State Basketball: The first Girls' Grand Champion was a 1a school (Jackson Heights). The second year, Highland park won, though... So I really don't understand why they discontuned Grand State even for basketball...

"I hate basketball! I'd rather watch paint dry!" -- CVHS Wrestling coach Troy Lentz 2005
Re: Grand State #55835 10/08/04 06:44 PM
Lindon Bontz Offline
The failure of Basketball Grand State was one element, another might have been Kapaun's success of winning the only two. It was jokingly refered to as "The Kapaun Invitational" after our second win. I heard the big school's in the Northeast had a problem with it, and last but not least, many preferred to remain a big fish in a small pond.

Lindon N. Bontz
Re: Grand State #55836 10/09/04 04:23 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
I think that an event should be held by the coaches association and try to get it to not be a KSHSAA event. That way we'd have our own extra highlight type of event, although some people think the Senior Classic is great, I'd like to see some of the under classmen from different classifications butt heads as well.

Make state like the regionals with the top 4 from each making grand state, but leave the opening for top 6 to place in regular state, that way you would have alternates as well just in case someone couldn't make it.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Grand State #55837 10/09/04 06:13 PM
T
Time Stands Still Offline
T
I never liked the Grand State concept. It made state a after thought. Many wrestlers, without any choice in the matter, finished wonderful seasons with a loss. This I suspect left an after taste for many that was not pleasant.

We provide statewide competition now with freestyle and greco-roman competition, and it is participated in willingly by the athletes.

As for Linden Bontz's suggestion that others were/are afraid of Kapun let me remind him that shortly after that Kapun was rebuked by the KSHSAA for recruiting in all sports. Kapun's two victories in the Grand State tournament were tainted at best.

Re: Grand State #55838 10/09/04 06:16 PM
T
Time Stands Still Offline
T
I never liked the Grand State concept. It made state a after thought. Many wrestlers, without any choice in the matter, finished wonderful seasons with a loss. This I suspect left an after taste for many that was not pleasant.

We provide statewide competition now with freestyle and greco-roman competition, and it is participated in willingly by the athletes.

As for Linden Bontz's suggestion that others were/are afraid of Kapun let me remind him that shortly after that Kapun was rebuked by the KSHSAA for recruiting in all sports. Kapun's two victories in the Grand State tournament were tainted at best.

Re: Grand State #55839 10/09/04 11:32 PM
J
jse Offline
J
you're joking? right?without any choice in the matter?you never have to wrestle anyone,in fact wrestling at all is a choice,not mandatory for anyone.That unpleasant aftertaste that comes from loosing happens at all wrestling matches.Sport needs that,without it winning would be hohum.The chance to wrestle the best and perhaps give him that taste is what it's all about.Bring back Grand State

Re: Grand State #55840 10/10/04 12:56 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Time Stands Still states:
Quote:
The two Grand State Titles won by Kapaun-Mt. Carmel were in 1975 and 1976.

The problem with KSHSAA did not occur until the late 1980's, and involved only the K.M.C. football team. While Kapaun was investigated very thoroughly by the heavy handed KSHSAA, the only transgression which Kapaun was guilty of had nothing to do with recruiting, and involved the loan of tuition monies to a single student's parent for payment of tuition. The loan, which was short term and paid in full by the student's father, was made not by the school, but by an individual who was associated with, and arranged through the Kapaun Mt. Carmel Football Booster Club.

Kapaun forfeited all football victories in the 1984-1985 and 1985-1986 school years.

For you to suggest that the Grand State Team Titles were somehow tainted by the KSHSAA penalty is simply false and outrageous.

Further, you state:

Quote:
This statement too is false. The State Tournament was not an afterthought but the qualifying tournament to advance and compete in Grand State.

Competitive athletes thrive on competition and seek to compete against the best. These athletes were provided the opportunity to compete against the best in-state athletes at their respective weight classes. This was a great opportunity provided to the athletes.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Grand State #55841 10/10/04 09:10 PM
LancerM Offline
Yeah you big whiner. Grand state was sweet. My daddy got third.

Re: Grand State #55842 10/10/04 09:52 PM
rocknraider Offline
Does any state still have a wrestling Grand State?

Oh by the way, Mark, when will your knee fully heal so you can wrestle?

With the power of Ra!
Re: Grand State #55843 10/11/04 02:18 AM
LancerM Offline
I think my surgeon said over winter break. I see him on friday and I think I'll be able to start running then. I'm apparently WAY ahead of rehab schedule but they just have to make me wait due to "protocol."

Why? Can't wait to face me?

Re: Grand State #55844 10/11/04 04:27 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Competitive athletes thrive on competition and seek to compete against the best. These athletes were provided the opportunity to compete against the best in-state athletes at their respective weight classes. This was a great opportunity provided to the athletes.
AMEN! That is the most accurate thing I've heard regarding the whole Grand State tournament, or any competitive venue for that matter...if you want to be the best, you must face the best!

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Grand State #55845 10/11/04 04:51 AM
Pups4Ever Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by rocknraider:
Does any state still have a wrestling Grand State?

Oh by the way, Mark, when will your knee fully heal so you can wrestle?
I think that Indiana does but that's because there's only like 3 classifications.

I also think that Alaska does but that's because there's only like ONE class in wrestling up there...

"I hate basketball! I'd rather watch paint dry!" -- CVHS Wrestling coach Troy Lentz 2005
Re: Grand State #55846 10/11/04 10:14 AM
Mike Furches Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by RichardDSalyer:
Da Man Richard hits the mark with the entire post, but especially the above. Anyone out there afraid of loosing their last match if it is in a Grand State Tournament?

Re: Grand State #55847 10/11/04 02:51 PM
Travis Phippen Offline
California doesn't have classes just one. Winning a state title there means you are the man. I agree who wants to be a class champion when you can be a state champion.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 166 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)