Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Zak Hensley ROBBED BY REF #3787 03/27/05 11:42 PM
B
BIGBOY Offline OP
OP Offline
B
The ref did a terrible job....................... Congratulations little man keep your head up, you are a great wrestler keep it up.

UNCLE RANDY

Re: Zak Hensley ROBBED BY REF #3788 03/28/05 12:18 AM
hvwts_mom Offline
he wouldn't have happened to be on mat 3 at the time would he????

Re: Zak Hensley ROBBED BY REF #3789 03/28/05 02:21 AM
WOOD_WON Offline
I agree with UNCLE RANDY
You are a champ in our eyes

The Woods

"Champions rise during the week not the weekend"
Jason Wood
Re: Zak Hensley ROBBED BY REF #3790 03/28/05 03:13 AM
Wally Offline
He was not robbed. I am impartial and saw the match. Zak never left the grasp of the other wrestler thus never got away.

What I thought was funny was the way the father acted after the match. With him being a ref himself. There is a saying(something like) - Don't leave it for the ref to decide and thats what it came down to - The refs call. Was it the right call? I thought so. Mr Hensley did not and was visibly upset at the ref who made the call.

Congrats on your 2ND place finish Zak

"I'm going to the backseat of my car with the woman I love, and I won't be back for TEN MINUTES."
Re: Zak Hensley ROBBED BY REF #3791 03/28/05 03:29 AM
S
Seybold Offline
S
Wally, Denny might have been visibly upset but never said anything directly to the official in question. I am PARTIAL to Zak so I will refrain from commenting on it. I know the work Zak's put in this season and noone deserved it more.

The Seybold Family

Re: Zak Hensley ROBBED BY REF #3792 03/28/05 03:37 AM
P
pacosparents Offline
P
If it was the official that I think it was it's to bad for Zac. I can't understand why some of the districts can actually vote on some of these officials. It is a sad thing to watch at the State Tournament weekend to see another offcial watch over a mat because an official is making very bad calls an taking away from yhe kids who are busting there tails to place at this level.Zac you are a champ in our eyes so keep your head high and learn from this experience.

Paco & his family.

Re: Zak Hensley ROBBED BY REF #3793 03/28/05 03:51 AM
Wally Offline
Paco- In my eyes I have never seen this official involved in controversy. He has always been fair and I have never seen him make a bad call. And I have seen him at many tournaments, so don't go assuming it was a bad ref

And Seybold- to say that noone works as hard and that noone deserved it more is stupid. You have no idea how hard other kids work across the state. Obviously someone in Desoto, KS was working just as hard.

"I'm going to the backseat of my car with the woman I love, and I won't be back for TEN MINUTES."
Re: Zak Hensley ROBBED BY REF #3794 03/28/05 02:02 PM
P
pacosparents Offline
P
Wally the official must have not been the same official I was talking about, because the official I'm talking about made many bad calls over the weekend & other official's noticed it also. I'm not jumping to conculsions but we need to have better officials at this level of competition of wrestling. I know they (officials) are only human & human's make mistakes, but when they (officials) make that many they have no business at that level of comptition. By the way I am Paco's father Big O my son knows Zac
& he just wanted to say congratulation to Zac. No harm intended.

Re: Zak Hensley ROBBED BY REF #3795 03/28/05 03:33 PM
S
SHOOT2WIN Offline
S
Wally,
Question for you. Did your son make it to the championship match? Your comment of "What I thought was funny was the way the father acted after the match. With him being a ref himself." That is why he was upset, because he knows the rules along with everyone there BUT YOU. Why laugh at a father and his son for a tough loss. That is wrong. Denny picked up Zak and left the mat. Now where in those actions did he go wrong. Wrong would have been most other coaches and parents out on the mat. Emotions run high when you have chased it all year long and then get robbed. And to say it is stupid for someone to not deserve it more than the other is a good sign of your mentality. The only good thing about the match is there are 2 boys who are and will always be friends along with their dads. Both men are great guys. On a closing note, your pic of a basketball is the first red flag of you not knowing what having them and just playing with them is all about. Congrats to Dustin, relish your title, you area great kid with a great dad. And to Zak, there are many years left and we all learn from our losses. "NEXT YEAR"

Re: Zak Hensley ROBBED BY REF #3796 03/28/05 03:46 PM
Wally Offline
You are wrong. He didn't just pick him up and leave. He did yell at the ref for the non-escape call. It was obvious that he disagreed with the non-call. Yes emotions run high and he is a father first and a ref second.

I guess the word i should of used was "ironic". Last year my son was in the championship match and lost 2-0 on a questionable takedown. We questioned the ref but what can you do. NOTHING!

Re: Zak Hensley ROBBED BY REF #3797 03/28/05 05:32 PM
BigPin22 Offline
Wally,
it wasn't just the last escape call, which the ref even held his pointer finger out to signal the escape but did not award the point to Zak, it was the entire match in which he let the other wrestler stall (with only a warning) or when he did not award a takedown to Zak when he took the other wrestler to his back with both feet in bounds.

I heard many people say that this ref had decided the outcome of other matches by his poor judgement.

And I think any parent, coach or ref that watched the match and knows anything about wrestling would agree. In any case, like you said "don't leave the match close enough for the ref to be a deciding factor"

Dustin did a great job of slowing the match down in compliance within this referee's judgment to be awarded the victory. He wrestled smart and should be applauded for his efforts. Both are great kids and I am sure they will see more of each other in the future.

Good Luck to both!!

"Stats are for losers. Final scores are for winners." Bill Belicheck
Re: Zak Hensley ROBBED BY REF #3798 03/28/05 06:54 PM
S
shudog Offline
S
Which ref are you all refering to? To all who say the wrestler should not let the match be close enough for the ref to be a deciding factor, I would agree to an extent, but several of the matches this weekend involved wrestlers that were very evenly matched. Its sad when a ref determines the outcome of a match. My son was wrestling in the semis and after 2 periods the score remained 0-0. He chose bottom and with 20 to 25 seconds left, the other wreslter tilted him exposing his back for less then a second as verified on tape. The ref did count 2 but did not award any points. The period ran out and the ref got the wrestlers up and ready to start the overtime when the opposing coaches called the ref over to argue the possible back points. Then a second ref discussed the situation and they then awarded the points. The second ref contended that he saw the two count by the ref but did not see whether my son was actually down for the entire two count. We all have seen refs start a second count and not award the points with a roll thru. This ref was unsure all weekend and made several mistakes. He even awarded the other wrestler a point in the 2nd period only to wave it off after realizing he didn't know why he did so. Overall my son had a very positive experience with the dedication to Tyler and participating in the final rounds. Thanks to all who made the tourney such a success.

Re: Zak Hensley ROBBED BY REF #3799 03/29/05 12:00 AM
K
kksdad Offline
K
I did not see this match as I was in MO watching my son wrestle at MO state, but wanted to voice a few comments nonetheless. My son has wrestled Ty Hensley on many occassions and they have had some great matches with my son winning more often times than not. Win or lose, Denny has always acted in a professional manner and it is hard for me to see him doing anything to bring a bad light upon himself or his family. Denny will be the first to agree that a wrestler should not put himself in a position where a refs call can dictate the outcome of the match. BUT this was the state finals, and Denny knows the rules. He apparantley was acting as a coach and a father and should not be chastised for being "visibly upset at the ref who made the call." Afterall, he is human just like the rest of us. Great job Zak, and equally as important, Great job Dustin for putting yourself in a position to win and bringing home the gold!

Re: Zak Hensley ROBBED BY REF #3800 03/29/05 01:03 AM
2coach Offline
I did not see the match but I do know what mat the refs you are talking about were on, and one did wrong for my boy also. I did question him in a good way. But I knew it was'nt going to change his mind. As we went walking back to our seats almost every coach that had seen the bad call the ref. had made. Let me and my son know that he should have had at least another match. I feel the same as Paco we should have only the best refs. at that level of competition. I'm not trying to say that I have the best wrestler nor that he would have even placed. But close or not the ref should not decide who goes on, or who takes first or second by making terrible calls. Good job for all who made it to STATE!!!!!

Re: Zak Hensley ROBBED BY REF #3801 03/29/05 01:16 AM
Us 6 Hensley's Offline
Ok, let's put this topic to bed.

First to Dustin Seibolt congrats for winning a state championship, it was bitter sweet for us, and we are all very proud of you and it couldn't have been won by a nicer, very talented kid who has two qreat loving parents Andy and Shelli who we consider to be our good friends now and for many years to come. Good Job Dustin well deserved! Andy and Shelli I'm sure you both are still gleaming with joy and should be.

Next to the Seybolds, Mr. Gloria, Paco, Coach Jason, coach Josh and all the other folks who cheered for Zak, and put up posts, Zak wants to thank you for the kind words. You are all great people and we are proud to be associated with you all and we are proud to call you all our friends.

Great job to Dustin Seibolt, Tyler Meis, Joey Defore, Dayton Will, and Victor Ortiz you are all champions! You are all very talented wrestlers with a great future ahead. In my eyes my son Zak is my champ, and I'm sure in the eyes of your parents you guys are their champs as well. Fittingly so you kids are the ones who work hard all year long, and are very dedicated at a very young age, while most of us parents do very little work if any, we just pay the bills, drive you around and cheer you on. So with that said all the wrestlers are champs just for their hard work.

Last to Beavers older brother Wally. Obviously you don't know me very well, but I will take a moment and clarify a few things for you since you seemed very confused when you put up your post and obviously didn't put up the facts, maybe little brother Beaver should put up your posts from now on. I as a dad saw a son who was hurting and I wanted to ease his pain because as a father I don't ever want to see my kids hurt, it kills me inside to see them hurt. I was a father cheering for his son and of course I yelled and wanted a point for my son. We didn't get it and thats the way it goes. I picked up my son, hugged him, and wanted to ease his pain as quickly as I could, and I think that is pretty normal for a parent, you might disagree with that logic but that is how I feel. Next the official on that mat is a good friend of mine, we have officiated many times together, and he called what he saw in his heart and that is what he called. I had a very lengthy conservation with this official after the tournament Saturday, and we were able to talk, explain things, and feelings to each other, and when our conversation ended we both learned something new that we didn't know before. This official did a fine consistant job as he always does everytime he works. Now Wally maybe you can come out now and tell everyone your name because I know who you are, but I'll keep your name out.

Great season to everyone can't wait to see all our friends from all over the state again next year. Have a great summer!

Denny Hensley
Re: Zak Hensley ROBBED BY REF #3802 03/29/05 01:44 PM
24/7 Offline
Well put Denny!! You acted as any other parent would, and better than me or many others have done at times. The kids wrestled their hearts out. Congrats to Zak and Dustin. Two great wrestlers and two great families.

Point of reference...If Denny and others like him didn't care so much, and took the time to put so much into this sport for both his family and all of us. This sport would be much worse off.

SlamBam (Mike Pursel)

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 166 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,383
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)