Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
all classes at one site #62204 01/29/06 05:20 AM
D
Dean Welsh Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Please refresh my memory - why is it that other states (ie. MO, NE) can have their state wrestling tourney in one location, at one time with all classes and Kansas can/does not?

Lots of people complain about the Colesieum (sp) in Wichita. As a fan, i have been to about ten state tourneys there and i never had a problem. Food is a tad pricey but that is to be expected.

So, why is it being split up yet again (ie, Salina this year)?

Another fan and I were discussing that tonight while sitting at the JC tourney. I told him i would post here as see what others more knowledgable than me have to say about it . . .

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: all classes at one site #62205 01/29/06 06:12 AM
Nigel Isom Offline
Well for one Missouri has their state tournament at the Hearns Center which is bigger than the Collesium.

Secondly said building in Wichita could not handle all 4 classes.

Third it was split up originally because KSHSAA did not think they were going to have access to the Wichita facility because of scheduled remodeling they were going to do. In the mean time the signed a contract for the Bicenter in Salina and were looking for other places to house 5 & 6A. Then they found out they could have the tourny at Wichita so they put 5 & 6A back there but not 4A since they already had an agreement for them ... at least thats the story i've heard many times.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: all classes at one site #62206 01/29/06 02:15 PM
S
Shelstin Offline
S
Thats the story....I think that the issue of building a new facility in downtown Wichita put the Coliseum remodeling on hold. In the mean time, KSHSAA, or whoever, had contracted with the BiCentennial center in Salina for a two year period. Hopefully, they will all be back together after that.

Rick Cue
ExHC
Ulysses
Re: all classes at one site #62207 01/29/06 04:23 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Nigel- good stuff. Thank you. Regarding the Hearnes Center at MU - is it bigger than what KU or KSU could offer if they so desired? I mean, all three are major universities - i'm assuming that they would have similar falcilities.

Is this really the best KS can do is to have its state tourney at THREE different sites? I imagine so as i assume smart folks have looked into this. . .

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: all classes at one site #62208 01/29/06 09:52 PM
Nedly Offline
dwelsh,
Yes the Hearnes Center is better than KSU can offer. Bramlege is to small can only hold six mats with no floor space. Ahearn is to old of a facility to host it.
At KU I have never stepped a foot in to Allen Fieldhouse, nor do I plan to so I don't know about it.
Plus I think Missouri runs a three or four day State Tournament. With many different sessions for differnt classes.
I do not see KSHSAA letting us hold a three or four day tournament.
Ned

Re: all classes at one site #62209 01/29/06 11:12 PM
N
No Knee Pads Offline
N
We out here in the sticks are just fine where we are. There is no better place than Gross Memorial in Hays for 321a State.

Re: all classes at one site #62210 01/29/06 11:39 PM
T
tksnkc Offline
T
I personally believe in having each tourney in a sole facility. Every finalist deserves his time in the spotlight without having to share. There is no better feeling then that. Should have 4 locations. Much more comfortable for all invovled. And rotate them each year so the mileage of driving distances could be shared.

Re: all classes at one site #62211 01/30/06 04:11 AM
J
jse Offline
J
I'm just glad they waited until this year for the change.My son participated in the last 4 in Wichita.(with mixed results)It was a very special time for him.A time to spend with summer "Team Kansas"members and many of the best wrestlers,friends and family in the state.A shame that many freinds and "Team Kansas"members from 1,2and3a were not at the same site.I'm not saying that wichita is the answer,but not giving these atheletes a weekend together,to watch,participate against,learn from,cheer for,and get to know each other is a shame.My kid wanted to win for himself,his School,his family,but mostly to show the best in the state that he belonged to that group.That was his time in the "spotlight".(nothing he would rather do than share this with his peers)Tuff 16 man bracket tournys are common.State should include all the best Kansas has to offer. jon elliott

Re: all classes at one site #62212 01/30/06 05:25 AM
mike elliott Offline
tksnkc “Every finalist deserves his time in the spotlight without having to share. There is no better feeling then that.”
I don’t know about that. My son was lucky enough to win a 4A state championship at 135 lbs. last year. He was at the 5A championship mat watching club teammate and friend Tristen win his 119 lb. title. He was at the 6A championship mat when his cousin Tim won his championship at 125 lbs. He was warming up for his match where he could watch the 5A mat and saw Josh win the 130 lb. title. During his match (although I didn’t see it at the time it’s on the tape of Scott’s match) Danny (Tristen’s dad 5A) was jumping up and down with excitement when Scott won. Scott was back on the floor at the 6A mat to watch good friend and workout partner Ramero (these two have traveled across the country together wrestling) win his championship at 145 lbs. James and I (Ramero’s dad) spent the rest of the evening celebrating together wishing it would never end. As I said before Scott’s cousin was there so his uncles were there. His grand parents were there and didn’t have to choose where to go. (Although grandma almost had a heart attack under the stress). Yes being in the spotlight with out sharing is ok but sharing that feeling with friends and family that as they say is PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 146 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,383
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)