Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JOCO 171 #64989 12/15/04 12:02 AM
brentvoth Offline OP
OP Offline
i think this might be the weight to watch at the johnson county classic, lots of good wrestlers.
sonderegger-sme, storm-smn, metzger-oe, mamie-sta, briggs-sms...sonderegger is probably fav to win it..but should be a battle. any other takes on this weight?

Brent Voth
Re: JOCO 171 #64990 12/15/04 01:19 AM
A
Art Squire Offline
A
I don't think Storm is from SMN. Townsend has been wrestling at 171 for SMN. May not wrestle this weekend, due to a injury.

Re: JOCO 171 #64991 12/15/04 02:02 AM
brentvoth Offline OP
OP Offline
i was almost sure the kid metzger wrestled at the OE-SMN duel's name was pat storm....anyways, who ever smn's 171 is he is tough, metzger beat him like 3-2 in an awesome match...maybe he moved a weightclass or something? the kid was a real buff african american kid...maybe it wasn't storm

Brent Voth
Re: JOCO 171 #64992 12/15/04 02:15 AM
Tiltin Fatties 4 Three Offline
I think that is Townsend from SMN. I saw him last year at a tournament too. Who's Storm, i've never heard of him?

"We're Going Streaking... Through the Quad and to the Gymnasium... Hunnie you think KFC is still Open?"
Re: JOCO 171 #64993 12/15/04 06:09 PM
A
Art Squire Offline
A
That is Tim Townsend.

Re: JOCO 171 #64994 12/15/04 07:09 PM
ABartels Offline
sondregger will take it without effort

ENJOY!!!

ABARTELS
Re: JOCO 171 #64995 12/15/04 07:12 PM
J
just-a-dad Offline
J
I dont know, sondregger had his hands full last weekend against Platte County. Sondregger was trailing until :15 in the third

Re: JOCO 171 #64996 12/15/04 07:15 PM
LancerM Offline
Yeah, but that kids was a top contender in a tough Missouri class. Maime's the second best guy here and Sonderegger's thrashed him every time they met up last year. Ryan should take this tournament pretty easily.

Re: JOCO 171 #64997 12/16/04 01:59 AM
brentvoth Offline OP
OP Offline
yea, i was wrong, was townsend...got him mixed up with someone else. i hope he wrestles this weekend...he is a good wrestler. i really dont think sonderegger runs away with this tournament. yes, he is the favorite to win it, but i would be extrememly surprised if he say pinned his way to first. i think there are guys that could give him a good match, but yea, i would bet on sondegegger, hes a stud.

Brent Voth
Re: JOCO 171 #64998 12/16/04 06:01 AM
rocknraider Offline
What were the scores of the Sondy vs. Mamie matches? I thought Mamie wouldve given him a tough fight.

With the power of Ra!
Re: JOCO 171 #64999 12/17/04 01:23 AM
Todd Bell Offline
Well let's hope that sondregger underestimated Mamie as much as you guys are because I think Jed's gonna take it to him and show him just how tough he is.

Re: JOCO 171 #65000 12/17/04 11:27 AM
alltheway115 Offline
it might be a good match .. but i can almost gurantee that sondregger will win with no questions asked

-- Hansett --
Re: JOCO 171 #65001 12/17/04 02:04 PM
LancerM Offline
Of course he won't pin his way through the tournament. Ryan hardly ever pins anyone.

Re: JOCO 171 #65002 12/20/04 05:16 AM
K
Kirk Wiscombe_dup1 Offline
K
After watching Ryan last year, I would say he was the most improved wrestler I saw. It will be real interesting at the Bobcat classic. Lots of good 171 lb wrestlers.

Re: JOCO 171 #65003 12/20/04 02:52 PM
B
blitzkrieg Offline
B
Maime didn't make it out of the semi's. He looked awful. On the other hand, so did Sonderegger. I wasn't impressed with his wrestling ability, he's definitly not the smoothest wrestler I've seen. Malloy should be the clear favorite to beat him.

Re: JOCO 171 #65004 12/20/04 06:01 PM
K
kswrfan Offline
K
Blitzkrieg, how about giving the boys a chance to start their season? Very few wrestlers go undefeated or look flawless every match, even former state champs and placers. Most good wrestlers improve as the season goes on, each and every year. Ryan's a returning state champ, so maybe he wasn't the best anyone's ever seen him one day, he still won. Jed's a sophomore who placed at state last year as the only freshman in that bracket. Goleman looked pretty good this weekend, are you going to have negative comments for him if he has a bad match or two? I've not seen Malloy this year, but from the past he's obviously one of the best, along with Wiscombe.

Let these kids start their season, get their bumps out and critique them, if you must, on their performances or lack thereof at state.

Re: JOCO 171 #65005 12/20/04 06:56 PM
B
blitzkrieg Offline
B
While I agree most of these guy's best wrestling will come later in the season, most of the returning state placers are pretty smooth and execute at a much higher level than the rest. Especially the seniors. So you would expect a wrestler like Sonderegger to be farther along. I could be wrong.

Besides, I'm commenting on this tournament and the performance of the wrestlers I watched. While I'm definitly no guru, perhaps some of the wrestling community on the west side of the state would like to know how things are going on the east. It works both ways as well.

Re: JOCO 171 #65006 12/20/04 08:21 PM
LancerM Offline
Ryan got taken down once the entire tournament and it was only on a weak shot by him against an undefeated kid. He took everyone down all day and wasn't pushed once. I don't know what else you want from the kid.

And on a sidenote, the Desoto coaches are really immature. After Ryan won his match against their kid they both turned around and started screaming at me and asking me if I was twelve, all because I cheered for Ryan while standing ten feet behind them. They go "have you even been to a wrestling meet before? You don't stand behind a coach and yell for the other guys." After that I countered, "Are you kidding? Have you ever coached before? You don't yell at a kid for cheering on his teammate." Plus the only reason I was standing behind them was it was the only place to stand where I wasn't blocking the view of people in the stands. When I brought that up they go, "yeah, whatever" and walked away. They were absolutely ridiculous.

Re: JOCO 171 #65007 12/21/04 02:33 AM
C
catbacker59 Offline
C
LancerM -

Maturity has nothing to do with the way the DeSoto coaches acted on Saturday. Your actions reaked of immaturity, however. If you are going to make accusations, why don't you tell the entire true story?
First off - the only reason you were standing ten feet behind us is because I had already had to ask you and a few others to move back off the mat a few seconds earlier. Then, because this upset you so, you decided to talk trash the rest of the match with comments like "Leif is done" and other similar, unsportsmanlike comments directed at myself, Coach Jones, and our wrestler. At the end of the match, I turned and did ask the group behind me if they had ever been to a wrestling tournament before. I did not say "you don't stand behind the coaches and yell for the other guy." What I said was, "you don't stand behind the coaches and talk trash on their wrestler." I also said that everyone needed to be in the stands as the tournament director had requested "at least 15 times". However, in our short conversation, I do not remember your question in response asking me if I had ever coached before - it does sound really cool, though, now that you have had time to consider a response. Instead, you simply said that you were cheering on your teammate. If that was your goal, then I guess we just disagree on what is cheering and what is trash-talking.

This scence could have taken away from an excellent, hard-fought match between two great wrestlers. Ryan, Coach Sonderegger, and the entire, current SME team showed nothing but class throughout the tournament and it is a shame that this event even had to take place. To avoid future conflicts, I suggest you find a seat in the stands (where there was plenty of room) along with all of the other spectators. I did not mean to "yell" at you like you stated I did. If I did, in fact, raise my voice too loudly for your taste, I apologize - the heat of the moment may have played into that.

Hopefully, not many were impacted by this scene and it did not take too much away from a quality finals match between Leif and Ryan.

Allen Terrell
De Soto High School

Re: JOCO 171 #65008 12/21/04 06:15 AM
LancerM Offline
First off, I did say that, not that it matters much. I don't feel like I'd have any reason to make it up. But hell, ask rocknraider about it, he was there.

Secondly, my comments about Leif "being done" were not directed to you, rather they were to a couple of friends that were standing with me who had doubted that Ryan would pull the match out. If the match had gone the other way there would have been just as much talking by them in the same manner and I'm sure that wouldn't have upset you at all. And besides, why would I have tried to talk to you when you were coaching anyways? I figure that most people would be too focused on the match to let an overly excited idiot, that's me, bother them. Sure I talk a lot but get over it. I've never let people talking trash on me bother me before and I sure as hell have never yelled at someone significantly younger than me for doing it. I just ignore them.

Finally, your comment about the tournament director already requesting everyone to sit in the stands "at least 15 times" was not said until I was already walking away. Had you told me that before this altercation then I would have been more obliged to move, seeing as how I had only gotten there forty minutes beforehand and wasn't aware that there was a problem with standing there.

However, I think I may have been caught up in everything just as much as your were and for that I apologize. I do have a tendency to let my mouth run and if that offended you then I'm sorry. Leif's definitely a stud wrestler, as evidenced by his performance throughout the tournament, and he should have a great year. Good luck to your team Coach, and I hope to see you guys later in the year. I harbor no grudge towards you or anyone else, I just felt it a bit ridiculous that you would let someone get to you so much when it really wasn't directed to you at all. I hope you guys have a great season. Just chill out a little.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 171 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,942
Posts250,374
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)