Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71246 02/28/02 06:09 PM
K
kurtz Offline
K
Scott Coleman Manhattan KS
3x state champ
4x state placer
1x national champ(folkstyle)
god knows how many times he was all-american

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71247 02/28/02 06:40 PM
L
Lyle Geyer Offline
L
JBwrestler I will correct you on Justin Ware being outstanding wrestler in High School Nationals It was Lyle Geyer a three timer from Leoti Ks at 125# Ware won it at 130# and justin Thaw won 152# title, there were three champions and 11 all americans that year.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71248 02/28/02 06:58 PM
chewie Offline
I would like to mention Brandon Pfizenmaier's name with the rest of these wrestlers. 4 time placer and 3 time state champ. He's wrestling at the university of nebraska-kearney now.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71249 02/28/02 07:17 PM
Mike Juby Offline
My top five picks for the best wrestlers in Kansas' history:

1 - Melvin Douglas
2 - Eric Akin
3 - Roy Oeser
4 - Bo Maynes
5 - Zach Roberson

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71250 03/01/02 04:36 PM
J
JNA Offline
J
I have respect for all the opinions about this question, but in my opinion the answer is quite clear. Zach Roberson is the best wrestler the state of Kansas has produced thus far. 4X State Champion and 145-0 high school record. More wins without a single defeat, than anyone in Kansas history. His match with Dusty Spaulding from Emporia is the stuff of legend. He has also represented himself well at Iowa State, and there is still two more years left for him to accomplish his destiny of NCAA champion.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71251 03/01/02 10:47 PM
C
Coppermonk Offline
C
If you were to ask simply who is the best wrestler in Kansas History, you must also consider Freestyle and Greco accomplishments in addition to High School.

Obviously, Eric Akin, Melvin Douglas, Cory Jones, Zac Roberson and Temoer Terry have to be up atthe top of the list. Some others I might suggest simply because I saw a lot of their matches are Scott Murray of Topeka, Brent Rechtfertig of Wellsville, and Matt Biles from Bonner Springs. Murray was so quick, Rechtfertig was a technician, and Biles was a headlock machine, and I think he was a national champion.

Anyway, those are a few suggestions for the list. Let me know what you think!

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71252 03/02/02 01:37 AM
Cody Schields Offline
After seeing some of the names listed above, I'd say I'm right in adding these names to the best of Kansas.

Gerrad Speer from Scotty was a 3x state champion and undefeated his Junior and Senior years.

Jeremy Long from Santa Fe Trail was a 4x state champion

Dusty Spaulding from Emporia was a 4x state champion

Travis Stites from McPherson was a 4x state champion

Bill Gabel from St. Francis was a 4x state champion

Austin Devoe from Columbus was a 3x state champion, and 2nd place as a freshmen

Jacob Klein from Kapaun was a 3x state champion

Doug Duell from Goodland was a 4x state champion and a 1x grand state champion, the first 4x state champion in Kansas history, and finished his career with a 98-1 record. His one loss was from when he wrestled up a weight class for one night. He is my vote for best in the history of Kansas.

Some say that the earth is our moon, but that would belittle the name of our moon, which is the moon.
Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71253 03/02/02 04:12 AM
W
wrestlingfan2580 Offline
W
i just wanted to respond to someone mentioning matt dukes as one of the states best wrestlers in history... i'm good friends w/ dukes and i know he would never put himself in this catergory... the guys you have been mentioning are the people he looks up to in wrestling.. but i also hate the fact "wrestler4life" is throwing matt's name out there and basically making a mockery of him... i know that matt isn't a 4x state champ, but he worked very hard to get his gold medal and doesn't deserved to be put down for it, considering he's not the one getting on here saying these things... just because you disagree w/ "wrestler4life" on this one don't talk like duke's is a pud wrestler, he may not be the best in the history of kansas but he worked hard to get his medal and shouldn't be brought down for it

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71254 03/02/02 03:42 PM
S
seth Offline
S
If we are talking about after high school career than it is definately Eric Akin. But if we are just talking about a High School career than my vote goes to Bo Maynes. :p

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71255 03/02/02 11:52 PM
T
Takedown Offline
T
I think the majority of everyone agreed Dukes is a good wrestler. And like you also agree he shouldn't be in this topic, not to dog him or anything.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71256 03/03/02 06:18 PM
W
wrestler_1 Offline
W
Im suprised i havent seen Jeff Boyle name yet. although he was a 3 time state champ he had one of the most impressive season ever. he pinned everyone in the first period. even really good wrestlers couldnt take him to the second period. he wrestled that kid from penn. that was suppoused to be the best in the nation and he beat him 9-3. although boyle didnt wrestle in college he still has to be considered one of kansas best

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71257 03/03/02 06:30 PM
M
Mike Holliday Offline
M
He's not the best, but definitely up there...E.K Franks from Wellington. I believe he was a 3 timer who absolutely tore everyone up.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71258 03/04/02 12:26 AM
H
holla Offline
H
Beau Tillman was 103-3 in highschool. he was a 3-timer and lost his junior year in a lucky throw. I think he should get props. Even though his college career didnt turn out like he wanted i still think he is one of the best.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71259 03/04/02 03:53 PM
321a Wrestler Offline
Two other names that need great consideration are Joe Dreher and Chris Ngo. Dreher was a 2x state champion and once a runner-up he competed only 3 years of wrestling and was an all-american at fhsu. Ngo had only one loss through high school. That was as a freshman to Phippen from Sft.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71260 03/05/02 01:58 PM
havid deidrick Offline
i know a kid from prairie view who went 36-1 his junior year, second at state, and was undefeated this year until he got rolled at state. He beat bancroft, lost to noah clouse by two points, took tony valencia to overtime. I think he would've won state this year had he not gotten rolled and thrown out. He is the best wrestler i've ever seen. Luke page is his name.

Big Dave
Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71261 03/05/02 04:14 PM
Coachjt Offline
Don't watch a lot of wrestling do you?

He is good, but he wasn't even the best wrestler at the Prarie Veiw Tournament this year.

Stewart Bogart was.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71262 03/08/02 12:25 PM
havid deidrick Offline
for some reason, I think that luke would have beaten bogart, but i could be wrong.

Big Dave
Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71263 03/08/02 03:22 PM
G
GM Offline
G
One name I haven't seen mentioned that belongs in this company for his accomplishments in high school is David Ray. He may not have been the best but could be considered one of the best. I think he doubled (won freestyle and greco) at Junior Nationals 2 years in a row along with at least a couple of state championships. I may have my facts wrong but I think this is correct.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71264 03/09/02 03:04 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
The best wrestler is a fun debate. The best I ever saw in this state was Stan Falkender from St. Francis followed by Justin Ware of Ark City and Doug Duel (not in any order except for Stan). Douglas did his best wrestling in college and peaked late in life. A lot of people could have done very well in college but there was not the opportunity there is now. John Lightner of Garden City was awfully good as well as Roberson and Mayne of late. There are many more that most of you havent heard of that labored in obscurity in Northwest Kansas in the sixties and seventies. These are the best I have seen in my thirty five years in the game.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY #71265 03/09/02 10:39 AM
L
Les Brown Offline
L
I doubt we will ever reach a consensus on the 25 best wrestlers in the history of Kansas high school wrestling, let alone the best. Many of the names already listed would be included on my top 25 list. But I feel some other deserving candidates have been overlooked, so I'll throw them out in no particular order.

Wayne Shepard (Hoxie) Wayne was the first 3x state champ in Hoxie history during the late 1950s. His son Lance was a 2x champ.

the late Steve Pope (Hoxie). Steve was a 3x state champ in the early 1970's and gave the aforementioned 4x champ Doug Duell his only loss in high school. Steve was a pure talent who worked harder at drinking beer than wrestling. His potential was unlimited, but he never saw the need to train.

Current Hoxie head coach and Goodland grad Kirk Baker. Kirk was a 2x champ, 2x runner-up, grand state champ and grand state runner-up. And I can tell you from first hand practice room experience that he was just as good 12 years later when he beat the tar out of me on a daily basis.

Steve Lampe was a 3x state champ at Colby HS before earning All-American honors at Iowa State. He also placed 2nd at the US world team trials on two occassions and just missed a spot on the US olympic team - as he retired and then witnessed an invidual he beat earlier in the year make the olympic freestyle team.

Troy Sporer of Oakley was a 3x state champ and barely missed a fourth state title.

Matt Treaster of Beloit was a 4x state champ.

Mark Hewitt of Beloit was a 3x state champ.

Todd Drake of Andover lost his very first high school match and did not lose again en route to winning four state titles. I believe he also earned All-American honors in college - at Central Oklahoma??.

Todd Layton was a 4x state champ for Independence and went on to wrestle for Notre Dame. If memory serves me correctly he was a NCAA DI All-American.

Dave Canfield was a three time state champ for Concordia and he also placed in the top three as a junior.

Wes Harding (SE Saline)was a 3x state champ and 1x runner-up.

Billy Gable was a 4x state champ and his brother, Kelly, was a 3x state champ and 1x runner-up. Kelly also placed 2nd at HS nationals.

I feel any of these names - along with many others that have not yet been mentioned - could contend with the many fine candidates already mentioned for a spot on Kansas' "All-Time Team".

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (CoachFitzOS), 171 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,383
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)