Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76245 03/02/04 05:43 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I know there are a few people of here with deep roots in the religious community and with the movie "THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST" just out in theatres recently I want to know how people think of certain sports figures being given the title of GOD. Please let me know...this is possibly another issue I'd like to cover in a future newspaper write up.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76246 03/02/04 06:04 PM
K
kayleigh Offline
K
Who cares!! Kriegbaum is Still God!!!

Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76247 03/02/04 06:26 PM
EYEofTHEtiger_133 Offline
Why do you have to incorporate religion into the great sport of wrestling Sweazy. I believe that if someone refers to an athlete as God they are just using it as a metaphor. Let's drop all the religion talk on the forum... this isn't Church now is it.

Take Care Of Business!
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76248 03/02/04 06:31 PM
GoldenDomer Offline
When your final hour is upon you, when the remainder of your life can be measured in minutes, is the face that you will look to for comfort? For that matter, is any human face the face that you will see as the deciding factor in your fate? Saying that somebody is God is a sin and a violation of the first comandment. Likewise, casting a graven image of the face of God is a sin as well. To say that even the most righteous person on earth is God would be doing the completly awesome power of God a discredit.

Wake Up the Echoes...
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76249 03/02/04 06:53 PM
srlarson Offline
I'm sure you would have an explaination for every action that God has you do.

I would have hoped that recent world events would have shown you that religous believes
have killed enslaved ripped apart more communities families than it can ever create.
Its what happens when some people condemn others
based on relgious their beliefs.

People tend to believe like those around them so they won't be different. But when there are people who belive differently why are the religous the first to condemn?

Where did God come from?

Back in the day when I wrestled they only took mugshots of the contestants
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76250 03/02/04 06:56 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hey...I support the right to believe freely in whomever you want, as long as you believe. Buddah is cool, God is great...whatever you choose, to at least have faith whether fictitious or not, is something we need. We all need something to believe.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76251 03/02/04 07:12 PM
srlarson Offline
Wrong answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is possible to believe anything or everything.
Santa Claus Tinker Bell the earth is the center
of the universe you can't fly etc.There are no limits to beliefs. There are differences between beliefs and knowledge. We probably have enough
belisfs to condemn even the atheists.

The probelem is what we know, what we can know and what is knowledge. Its cause and effect on a grand scale.

Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76252 03/02/04 07:36 PM
Mike Furches Offline
Back to your original question, no one is like God except God and to make that comparison with anyone is wrong. Why take a chance on something like that?
For those that want to legitimately debate the issue off line, after all this is a wrestling forum contact me I am certainly not afraid of this topic, nor do I feel uncomfortable in debating the issue. I will frankly be surprised if the detractors have the guts to take up the challenge as to the reality of God or evidence of Christ being the Christ, oh yea by the way I won’t hardly use the Bible at all to prove my point, only as a historical document and outside historical documents and factual evidence. There are a several good books written by scholars attempting to disprove God but who had their minds changed, Evidence That Demands a Verdict and More Evidence That Demands a Verdict by Josh McDowell, and The Case for Christ and A Case for Faith by Lee Strobel, then there is the classic Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. It is amazing though that those that will argue against religion and not have the facts to back it up. Religion gets criticized for its wars, yet never praised for its good. For example, more food for the hungry and more money towards aids research than any other organizations, by the way those are IRS figures and not just off the top of my head. By the way, the first recorded event of wrestling ever is in the Bible, the first image you come into contact with at the Wrestling Hall of Fame is Jacob wrestling against God or an Angel of God. The relevance of the sport in comparison with God or Biblical principles are components I have discussed at several wrestling tournaments and will again apparently this year at Kids State at the Church on the Mat. The link to that comparison is http://www.furches.org/wrestling/wrestling_with_god.html . Other good links include: http://www.carm.org , http://wyattmuseum.com/, and http://www.josh.org/

One last note here, that is those that are passionate about their beliefs are entitled to carry those beliefs into all walks of life. For one who is a follower of any religion, especially Christianity, that is a requirement, not an option. Said my peace here, will gladly carry on outside conversation on this topic off forum, all of my information is on my profile.

Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76253 03/02/04 07:44 PM
SHELTON'S ENTERTAINMENT Offline
Believe what you believe and don't what you don't. In case anyone has forgotten, there are many men and women across seas right now defending your right to debate this topic. Instead of firing snotty religious "knowledge" or opinion or whatever it is, at each other, maybe you should all reflect on other's points of view and embrace it and learn from it, than act like you know everthing about religion, cuz I can guarantee you don't

Stupid People Suck
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76254 03/02/04 07:54 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
[I would have hoped that recent world events would have shown you that religous believes
have killed enslaved ripped apart more communities families than it can ever create.

***Check your history. The greatest mass murderers in history were all atheists. Stalin, Hitler, Lenin, Pol Pot, etc...

Yes, religious fruit-cakes have killed many, but as mentioned below - sincere believers [who are much different from religous fruit-cakes] have also done much good in the world (food, literacy, hospitals, etc). So, it is unwise to throw the baby out with the bath water.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76255 03/02/04 08:09 PM
I'm your huckleberry Offline
Yea the atheist have only killed about 80 million people in the last 100 years. We should give them another chance.

As for the crusade, those people were not following the teaching of thier God. Or as dwelsh put it they were fruit cakes.

If people really understood who God was and how holy he is. They would never say that any person is God. Everyone is so bad that Christ had to go through his passion to redeem them.

Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76256 03/02/04 08:21 PM
Marbla Offline
I'd be more than willing to bet that more people have died due to religious differences than were ever killed by athiests.

Seth Farley
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76257 03/02/04 08:46 PM
tbears189 Offline
I'm sorry, but if anyone thinks a wrestler is god they're either not stable in the head, or has a SERIOUS man crush.

Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76258 03/02/04 10:07 PM
srlarson Offline
There have been many thousands of religions thru the history of man, Each beliieving it was the true belief the only one always bringing its facts and fallacies.

Scientific thinkers do something no religion can
the willingness to be wrong. Scientists test their theories if the evidence of the test proves they are wrong, they rewrite their theory,
over and over and over.

Most biblical scholars I know wil not use it as a historical document because most of the dates are wrong, the times when things were to happen have proved to be wrong.But what can you expect from the times,no phones, no TV, no newspapers.
Only by word of mouth stories of this prson doing this or that no possible way to confirm it.
It would be like the only source of info we had
is the grocery store tabloids.You know the ones where Madonna has an alien baby. And by the way people buy these and believe them.
The only schools were religous, they didn't study
science or other ways of thinking.
1. What makes your religion the only one, the true one, all others who are different are wrong?
This is the hallmark of closed minded people telling each other we are right!!

2.Where did God come from?

We know with out question that things don't appear with reasonable (scientific) explaination. We also know that nothing can create itself.

3.The need for mankind to have a believable answer for every question has produced all religions. Every society has been based on these
answers, because if there are too many unanswered
questions there are too many doubters. And if there are too many doubters they in turn doubt the people who want to control that society.

Yes there are people defending our right to have this discusion and we are forever mindful of this. This is how the Christians came to believe that Jesus was the savoir. When the Jews denied him as the Christ that probably saved them from
being wiped out by Pontus Pilote sp.It was illegal to have a king other than the Emporer of Rome. Punishable by death (hung on a cross) which
was the common form of capital punishment and deterent. If you look outside the religion and use the Bible as a historical document there are many other original viewpoints of the actual history of the times.

If I believe that there is a colorless,orderless
undetectable being all powerful being watching over me one that millions of other believers also believe in does that mean it actually exists?

Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76259 03/02/04 10:18 PM
fris kitzgerald Offline
Please Srlarson this isn't a discussion about who believes in what its about wethere we can refer to other athletes as gods. Its just a figure of speech like saying "He smells like a skunk" Or "He wrestled like a fish" they are just figurative means of speech and not trying to be rude but we don't need essays written on here about how god and christians and all that came to be

The FISH RETURNS
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76260 03/02/04 10:22 PM
I'm your huckleberry Offline
Marbal you are wrong check the history books more people have been killed by communist atheist in the last 100 years than by religion wars of the pervious 1800. It is estimated that over 50 million people were killed by these people. A lot of them by forced starvation.

Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76261 03/02/04 10:24 PM
srlarson Offline
God actually has to exist before you can insult him its always far too easy to upset the true believers when they define the terms.

Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76262 03/02/04 10:27 PM
Dante Alighieri Offline
Mr. Srlarson,

I think that this post you have just made is not only incorrect, but just plain irresponsible. You seem to be making accusations that just don’t make sense. For example, I would like to know just exactly what dates are incorrect in the Bible. Seriously, I mean this, I would like to know. I am not being sarcastic.

I’ll now address your three “points.”

1) It is philosophically impossible to believe in a religion without thinking that you are right. Even if one were to say, “I am a Christian but I accept other religions,” then they would still in their mind think that they were correct, otherwise they would believe something else. They are only accepting so as not to look unaccepting. (I know unaccepting isn't a word, but you realize what I mean.)
2) This one is ridiculous. By the same logic where did the Universe come from? The laws of thermodynamics only apply to things within the Universe, so it would seem logical to me that if God exists, he would be outside the Universe, thus not abiding by those laws. However, the “Big Bang” theory contends that something truly came out of nothing. I won’t really get into that any further unless you reply and ask for my opinion.
3) This has an element of truth to it, but if that is the way all religions sprang up, then by the same definition that is how all science sprang up- the need to know more. Just because this is a natural human inclination (to search for truth) doesn’t make it incorrect.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this, and hopefully you would not think that I am one of those “close minded” Christians.

Question: By calling someone “closed minded,” haven’t you “closed your mind” on that type of person, i.e. aren’t you asserting your superiority?

"My desire and will were moved already...by the Love that moves the Sun and other stars.
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76263 03/02/04 10:31 PM
B
Bob the Car Offline
B
Does saying someone is similar to a greek god (in body type) apply? It's not referring to their characteristics, or overseeing power, just their physical qualities. By seeing the many statues in Greece, etc. we see their interpretations and from that we make the connection between one person and their idea of their gods. Do any of you see this as similar to the above topic?

Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76264 03/02/04 10:39 PM
Prant Garker Offline
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 171 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)