Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76305 03/03/04 06:35 PM
chewbacca Offline
Where do i go to make this forum fun and not boring again?

Maybe you're not an ugly human, but a good looking ape.....with exceptional verbal skills.
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76306 03/03/04 06:36 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Man with some of the words on this forum we need a Biblical Spell Check!

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76307 03/03/04 07:35 PM
Mike Furches Offline
I think that just broke the record for the longest post ever on a wrestling forum, but it has some good stuff in it.

Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76308 03/03/04 10:00 PM
Dingbat Offline
Too long. Didn't read it.

Congrats, Aquinas!
Great job, Hat Town!
Salyer Rules!
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76309 03/03/04 10:17 PM
usawks1 Offline
Man, I had to take two naps to get through this post. All these great orations and the thoughts they provoked nearly caused me another stroke.

My two-cents worth! I believe there are many Gods but only one, is the Big Kauhna! There are minor Gods as there are varying degrees on Angels.

And, there are false-Gods, such as (man, this is causing me to dust off a few memories) Baal, (where is that Biblical spell-check?) or more precisely called, a Fool’s God.

Oh, ****, that did it, I think I am having a cerebral hemorrhage. If this is my last post, it was nice knowing al … l of y …………………………ou!

NO, this is NOT where you insert your R.I.P. posts!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76310 03/03/04 11:33 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hiderliter...nooooooooooooooooo!

He gave himself a stroke from a good BAAL movement.

Keep fighting... the fight! Don't give up!

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76311 03/04/04 12:22 AM
usawks1 Offline
geezzz, that's funny Swayz!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76312 03/04/04 05:00 AM
Nigel Isom Offline
Holy God! I just skimmed over this and didn't find one post worth reading except the first three. Geez, religion should not be tied to the sport of wrestling. God does not give one person the ability to win or lose, that is up to you. What he does give to some wrestlers is inspiration. Thats all that has to be said. And refering to any wrestler as a god is idolatry.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76313 03/04/04 05:45 AM
GoldenDomer Offline
well said nigel

Wake Up the Echoes...
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76314 03/04/04 01:28 PM
Jason A. Ross Offline
Calling a wrestler God is blasphemy. Enough Said.

To Larson and similar thinkers:

"Correct me if I'm wrong didn't God flood the world several times, send plagues,famines earthquakes,etc. This not a God of LOVE but one of fear.

Yes God did the things you said. No God is LOVE and should be feared by those who do not follow him. God LOVEs you so much that after flooding the earth, he promised to never do it again until the final judgement. When my dog poops outside my house, we have a good relationship. However, when my dog poops behind the couch, our relationship isn't so great. I have punished my dog in the past for this behavior. Now when my dog messes up, she hangs her head low and is afraid of being punished. I love my dog and want whats best for her and me. If i let the poop in the house pile up, we will both get sick. I am my dog's master. God is my master. When God gets sick of all humans choosing to choose sin without guilt, he gets pissed. When God is super pissed, he will end the world as we know it. If you are believer, you do not have to fear God. You respect his power, but know 100 percent that you will go to heaven if you die. If god asks a christian "Why should i let you in heaven?" The answer may not include anything the person has done. Instead it should be something like "not becuase of what i have done, but becuase of what you have done. I believe in your son jesus and that HE died for MY sins so that you would let me in to heaven."

"Believe in me or you will perish in this world or the next. Not a LOVING God of FREEWILL humans.

Once you decide to give your life to God then what of your freewill?"

You still have a free will to do right or wrong. The difference is your motivation. I have been a Christian all my life. I believed in God and accepted him as my savior. However, i still did pretty much whatever I wanted. Guess what, most of the time I had fun while i was doing wrong things...such as getting drunk with friends. But I physically felt sick the next day from the effects. And whats more notable, there was a emptyness inside of me. Throughout middle and highschool, I always had plenty of friends and had a couple of 2 year relationships with girls. I have always been successful in sports. Placed at state in kids wrestling (1, 3, 5) and took 2nd at state in highschool (4a). I almost always made the summer baseball all-star team. My high school team placed at state. I even went to college to play baseball. My senior year of highschool, I received league honors in baseball (catcher), wrestling (171 lbs.), and football (noseguard). I was national honor student. I have a very supportive family as well.

Most of these things are desired by teenagers, college students, and older adults. This was not enough to satisfy me. I sometimes felt an emptiness inside me. Of course things feel wrong when you are depressed. Even when I would win an important match, I felt that i was missing something.

IT turns out I was. Last summer, I decided to investigate Christianity to see what its all about. I read a bunch of books and websites. I have looked through other religions to see what they believe and investigated the evidence that supports/doesn't support. I actually opened the holy bible and began reading. I met with others and had many discussions. I have learnt that some questions can not be answered by the Bible, Agnostics, or by any means on earth. I have also learnt that most things are not worth arguing because it has no effect on my salvation. Example: The number of angels in existance has no effect on my salvation so whats it matter.

My life has changed since last summer. I decided to attempt to follow God's word. When I say no to drugs, sex, stealing; Say yes to helping the needy, praying to the lord, and being nice to fat ugly gay thieving liars; I feel like a better person, do not feel guilty, and the emptiness is filled up. My FREE WILL is still here. I can still drink till i puke. I choose not to because when i follow God, both HE and I are happy. Plus I don't have a headache.

you are saved by your belief in Jesus. You are not saved by good works. If I walk an old lady across the road, don't drink, don't have sex, am not gay, don't steal, what have you; I don't get to go to heaven as a result. Again your good works are not what gets you saved. Why do good works? You do good works because you love God and want to be like him.

What if i believe in God but don't want to follow him? Now that I believe, can I do whatever i want? This is tricky. I used to think I was free to do whatever and my sins would be washed away. I have been drunk, smoked marijuana, and even lost my virginity. Was i saved still? Yes, i can never lose my salvation. Once you accept Christ as your savior, you become a child of God. You can no longer choose to end a relationship with God, but you can choose to have fellowship (talk, be friends). Its like your biological parents. Once you were born, you could not reverse the process. You dad will always be your dad but you have the choice to be his friend.

I will say this. If you are a true Christian, you will try to do good becuase you LOVE god. If you still choose to always disobey God, then you might not be a Christian in the first place. You might ask "what has god ever done for me?" He gave his son's life for yours. Nothing that a man does can ever pay that back.
Larson I have some questions of my own

Why should i believe that the constituition of the United States is real?

How do i know the constituion works?

Why do you believe you actually had a great great grandpa?

What was your great great grandpa's name?

How do you know who invented the first printing press?

Who wrote the "ILLIAD"?

All the answers have something in common. There is some sort of documentation that supports it. Guess what. Not one thing in the bible has ever been proven false, yet the majority has been proven true. A lot of places mentioned in the bible still exist today. Its funny, The more advanced science gets, the more proof there is that the bible is accurate. There are more witnesses to the bible being a true account than can be found in any book in existance.

Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76315 03/04/04 03:05 PM
srlarson Offline
Biblical Archaeology Review: Evidence of Jesus Written in Stone
summary of the 2002 November/December issue that claims that the ossuary inscribed "James, son of Joseph" is the first-ever archaeological discovery to corroborate Biblical references to Jesus.
Category: Biblicial Archaeology > James Ossuary
http://www.bib-arch.org/bswb_BAR/bswbbar2806f1.html - 7k - Cached - More pages from this site

Back in the day when I wrestled they only took mugshots of the contestants
Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76316 03/04/04 03:13 PM
W
weight_watchers_119 Offline
W
leave the god crap out of this, the whole god topic is going to get taken out of hand and people are to sensitive to that ****, no one means an offense by saying an athlete is a god, they just mean they are good

Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76317 03/04/04 04:08 PM
srlarson Offline
This being the first evidence (their words not mine)it eveidently is difficult to prove something false if it didn't exist in the first place. by the way this ossary has been proven to be a fake I'll get back to you on that.

All humans have needs, we also have the ability to believe, to pretend, lie. Many seemingly well to do, very rich, very popular, very atractive people have this emptiness that they are not loved. The fact that you now feel loved does mean that there is a God, only that you feel loved.

So far I have not said that "I believe that there is no God" I have only questioned those who assert something exists because I and others (including those who wrote the Bible) believe it to exist. As I hve said before humans ca belive anything and everything and at the same time!

If you want to believe something is real touch it, smell it, see it taste it, hear it. All of the examples you give how do I know.......would have some tangible eveidence. Is that evidence complete, can I see my Great Grand Pa, no. Does that mean he didn't exist? The process by which
humans can know things is far more in depth than the the relative ease humans can and will (if the need is great enough) believe in something
that can not be touched, seen, heard or smelled.
Humans are limited by reason, within this it very difficult to prove a negative. That is, proving "something" that isn't there. It should be easier proving that "something" is there.

Once you have sufficent need to know will you search. Depending where you search you may or may not find the right answer. If you look under the street light, because its easier to see, for the dime you lost in the alley you may not find it.

Here is asmall list to check out the argument.
WARNING to most this is boring stuff. Its only good if you have a strong desire for knowledge,
This how humans gain knowledge about humans know.

Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76318 03/04/04 04:08 PM
srlarson Offline

Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76319 03/04/04 04:17 PM
Jason A. Ross Offline
"This being the first evidence (their words not mine)it eveidently is difficult to prove something false if it didn't exist in the first place. by the way this ossary has been proven to be a fake I'll get back to you on that."

check out the dead sea scrolls. There are lots of excavations and such that support the old testament. The old testament testifies to the coming of Christ. the new testament shows how jesus fullfilled every old testament prophecy amongst other things.

Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76320 03/04/04 04:36 PM
srlarson Offline
Why dodn't the Jews believe in the Christ's first coming if prophecy was correct? Have you read any of the KORAN or the Old Testament that may conflict with this prophecy. And do you know when this prophecy was written, before or after Jesus' death?

Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76321 03/04/04 04:38 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
"no one means an offense by saying an athlete is a god, they just mean they are good"

If it's on a shirt that nigel is wearing we'll accept it as a spelling error!

Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76322 03/04/04 04:52 PM
srlarson Offline
This is link to info on the Dead Sea Scrolls

http://www.centuryone.com/25dssfacts.html

Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76323 03/05/04 06:08 AM
Jason A. Ross Offline
"Why dodn't the Jews believe in the Christ's first coming if prophecy was correct?"

When you look at Jesus and His relationship with the Jewish people in the first century, the Jewish leaders didn’t accept Him because of His claims to deity. Most struggled with believing that a poor son of a carpenter could be their savior. I mean come on, they knew his mother. They did not believe the Messiah would be divine. They balked at His interpretation of the law, that He was weaving through the lines saying, 'Hey, you are into all the traditions and rituals, but you are forgetting some of the weightier things, the love, the compassion, the justice. So what if you have clean cups. What about the heart? That needs to be clean.' He was saying some pretty rebuking things to the Jewish community in the first century in telling them that they needed to repent, they needed a Savior, they needed a Messiah. Jesus was also breaking their man made laws. An example is when Jesus healed a person on the Sabbath today. That was a big no no. Most Jews were afraid to even mention Gods name, where as Jesus claimed that he was God. In the first century it was pretty clear cut why they wouldn’t accept Him. Imagine if you were the president, and some poor guy started telling you that you were out of line.

All of jesus' followers were initially Jewish. Jesus had thousands of jewish followers by the time the apostles came along. Peter preached on the Day of Pentecost and lots more jews accepted Christ. Galileans and others accepted Jesus as their savior as well.

"Have you read any of the KORAN or the Old Testament that may conflict with this prophecy."

The Quran has more questions in that book than answers. For example, there is a violent tone of many of the Qur'anic passages (especially against the unbelievers but also against the Jewish and Christian people). This is completly different than the emphasis on love in the New Testament. One particular passage that will trouble some can be found in Sura 5:51.

"O ye who believe! Take not Jews and Christians for your friends and protectors; they are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily God guideth not a people unjust."

However, a more troubling section of the Qur'an has to do with the character of the prophet Muhammad himself. According to Sura 33:37, God sanctions Muhammad's desire to marry the divorced wife of his own stepson, "in order that (in future) there may be no difficulty to the believers in (the matter of) marriage with the wives of their adopted sons, when the latter have dissolved with the necessary (formality) (their marriage) with them. And God's command must be fulfilled."

Muhammed is suppossed to be the most perfect and ideal moral for mankind and yet the Qur'an had a good number of examples of how the "revelations" could be so self-serving to the prophet himself!

The koran claims jesus to be a prophet where the bible claims jesus to be our savior. Heres a question. Ask a muslim if a prophet can lie. Their answer is typically no. If jesus is a prophet, and jesus was a prophet, than jesus must be the savior because he claimed to be.

John 10:30
In a debate about Jesus' identity, He says: "I and My Father are one" (NKJV). Thus He declared Himself to be equal with God the Father.

This is a self-checking passage. We could debate for a long time exactly what Jesus might have meant, but the next verse leaves no doubt about what He communicated to His immediate audience. They took up stones again. They knew that once again He had claimed deity for Himself.

Luke 22:70 and Parallel Passages in Matthew and Mark

Here Jesus is on trial before the Sanhedrin, the Jewish council. After some futile efforts to convict Him on various charges, the priest and his associates turn to Jesus directly and question Him. Eventually they ask Him, "Are you the Son of God?" Jesus responds, "Yes, I am." It appears that we have a double claim here. Jesus acknowledges that He is the Son of God and also uses "I am" in His response as recorded by Luke.

This would be a good link that talks about some basic conflicts between the bible and the koran.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/magazines/docs/v24n2_islam.asp

"And do you know when this prophecy was written, before or after Jesus' death?"

Seven hundred years before Jesus was born, the Book of Isaiah (found in the Old Testament) prophesied the coming of the Messiah. Jesus not only fulfilled these prophecies, but also fulfilled over 300 other specific statements about the Messiah found throughout the Old Testament. Prophecys can be found in the old testament. The old testament was written before jesus full filled prophecy. Old testament was written in a range from approx. 100 bc to 1000bc. I would have to look up the dates to be sure.

The old testament prophecies a savior. The new testament explains how jesus fullfilled the prophicies and died for our sins.

Re: Calling People GOD...thoughts? #76324 03/05/04 08:49 AM
srlarson Offline
What you are saying is not what the standard Jewish faith believe.

http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/Judaism/messiah.html

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 160 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,385
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)