Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76349 03/01/04 12:41 PM
W
W. Heights AD Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I have only attended probably 10 state tourneys (4 of which I competed in), all of which were at the KS Colliseum. I truly believe that the level of competition was good this year and watching the kids compete was trully a lot of fun and brought back a lot fo good memories.

However, as much as I want to keep the tourney here in Wichita, I can't see a reason to do so with the way the KS Colliseum staff and certain tourney officials treated us all.

1) The check in process was about the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Weigh ins were taking place and teams were still stuck in a line out the door trying to check in. (ridiculous)

2)$10 for updated brackets for the tourney. I understand making money, but what is that. I can buy a stack of 500 sheets of paper for $4.

3)$6 for coaches to eat in the hospitality room. The meal was a nasty film covered soup and bologna sandwiches. (hell, we had ribeye steaks at our regional for free!)

4)Security was rude and kept 4 wrestlers who were making weight on sat. morning and group of cheerleaders outside in the cold at 6:30 am when all we wanted to do was check our weight. They lied saying the scales werent set up. We finally got in at 7:00 am. (yes, I gave them a piece of my mind)

5)Gosh dang, how much does it cost to rent that place. Hell, for a family of four, it must have cost $100-$200 in gate fees just to sit in the stands not too mention another $200 in consession stand items.

6) I was scared to walk into the nasty gross bathroom that were ankle deep in waste from all those thousands of people. Who the hell cleans that place and why did they wait 2 days to clean it instead of during the day.

I could go on, but I don't even like to read post that are longer then a paragraph. I hope I'm not the only one who felt this way.

For the price, I just don't believe the Colliseum is nice enough. WE ALL DESERVE STEAK DINNERS FOR THAT PRICE!!!!

Coach Church

"Well spoken words have great value, but hard work has it's own rewards"
Re: STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76350 03/01/04 01:57 PM
B
Broncho's Offline
B
I COULDNT EVEN GET A FREE POP.

THATS ALL MAN JUST ONE FREE SODA. JUST ONE AND WE WOULD HAVE BEEN FIRST.

DUDE JUST ONE FREE SODA.

HULL

Re: STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76351 03/01/04 02:16 PM
P
pizzaboy Offline
P
Amen,
I think Mr. Rick Bowden is getting some under the table money from those people in Wichita. I totally agree it is ran like a second-rate tournament. I could come up with 50 ways to make that tournament better. Whoever runs that, sucks at it, period. Let's get out of there.

Re: STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76352 03/01/04 02:33 PM
adversity Offline
Well, Hays did a great job.

Re: STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76353 03/01/04 02:47 PM
H
hokahey Offline
H
Church, you are right on w/your complaints. The wrestling was great this weekend, but the venue could have been better. We need to make the state tourney more wrestler and fan friendly. -Parks

Laus Deo
Re: STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76354 03/01/04 02:58 PM
S
SFoster Offline
S
321A State / 4A,5A, & 6A State Tournament

I have been to several State Tournaments at the Kansas Colliseum. For the last two years we have attended the 321A State Tournament at Hays.

I would have to say that the atmosphere and the general aura of the State Tournament @ Ft. Hays State University is just AWESOME!

I have never in my life witnessed so much energy and anticipation at a wrestling event ever.

I understand why wrestling in the North West part of the state is so good. The fans and the people in the crowd are so in touch with their wrestlers.

When a school has a 100 kids in it and 30 go out for wreslting, then the town brings 200-300 people to the state tournament just to watch.
WOW

I think that the only way to duplicate that same kind of atmosphere and aura for 4A, 5A and 6A would be to move them to their own venue and then the schools have to bring their fans.

I can honestly say that I believe there were wrestlers feeding off the energy of their fans.

We sat right in front of the St. Francis section and everytime one of their wreslters took the mat, all eyes and energy from their fans were directed at the mat. It did not matter if it was a consolation match or a championship match.

The people that ran the tournament were great.
There were no major security issues or bullying by the people working the tournament.

I do not write this to in any way knock the 4-5-6A tournament, but rather to compare the facilities, security, atmosphere and overall performance of the people who run these two tournaments.

321A is by far the best ran, best hosted, best atmoshere tournament.

I can only hope that some of the local 321A shools will get more involved with their wrestling program and take more interest in the state tournement.

If any have not been to both tournaments, I would challenge you to attend both and then compare for yourselves.

Re: STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76355 03/01/04 03:42 PM
chewie Offline
Would it kill somebody to empty the trash bins by the exits so we don't have to walk over trash to get in.

Re: STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76356 03/01/04 03:55 PM
otohp_15 Offline
The trash was really bad...Another thing to think about is having a two day pass and making it a little cheaper for those who have the whole faily going BOTH days...

if you don't like something change it, if you can't change it, change your attitude
Re: STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76357 03/01/04 03:56 PM
otohp_15 Offline
Another thing to think about is having a two day pass and making it a little cheaper for those who have the whole faily going BOTH days...

if you don't like something change it, if you can't change it, change your attitude
Re: STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76358 03/01/04 04:09 PM
boach_clack Offline
I agree with all you guys. Those bathrooms were just awful. I thought I was the only one that felt that way. Did anyone notice the mullet security staff?

"Water is wet, rocks are hard, and wrestling is tough."
Re: STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76359 03/01/04 04:14 PM
Computerized Shoes Offline
Boy I sure did notice the mullet security staff and that's why I claimed half of them. Yes you heard right...more than half those securities members are MY MULLETS. So the score for me something like 10 or 11 mullets found. Anyone else near that or top that?

Taggin' for Tyler
Re: STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76360 03/01/04 04:54 PM
R
rdmett Offline
R
I heard rumors this past weekend that the colliseum is going to be closed next year for renovations and that the state tournament may be held in Salina. Anyone else hear anything about that?

Re: STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76361 03/01/04 04:56 PM
P
pv6706 Offline
P
lets move 4a 5a 6a to wichita state koch arena

Re: STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76362 03/01/04 05:06 PM
coachtwink Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by rdmett:
I heard rumors this past weekend that the colliseum is going to be closed next year for renovations and that the state tournament may be held in Salina. Anyone else hear anything about that?
I heard the same rumors, but I asked a very reliable source who heard from Muselman that the renovations will begin next year the day after we leave, so we have at least 1 more year of dealing with the Coliseum, which was the most hospitable it has been in the 6 years I have been going there.
My largest complaints were with the way the tournament directors ran the breaks.

Mats were waited to be mopped until the last 30 minutes of the breaks instead of at the beginning. This left wrestlers with no place to warm up.

The parade of champions at the beginning is ridiculus. The wrestlers had to go line up 45 minutes before the were allowed on to the mats. That means many kids couldn't warm up for about an hour prior to the start of the tournament.

The parade of placers before the finals is also ridiculous. The wrestlers again had to clear the mat 45 minutes before the finals began. That means that 103 pounders had to stand in place instead of warming up. There is no reason for all the placers to be walked out, they will be recognized on the medal podium. If just the finalists were lined up it would take far less time. And the awards could also be done a little faster.

All in all I thought this was the least jerky the coliseum staff has been, but the tourney directors need to worry less about putting on a show, and more about running a wrestling tournament that allows the kids a chance to warm-up and get ready properly.

Any fool can criticize, complain, and condemn- and most do.
Re: STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76363 03/01/04 07:44 PM
B
Bob the Car Offline
B
I agree w/ all of this. Not only did the security staff look like they lead a life of poor hygeine, they didn't make exceptions for anyone. I can completely understand that that is their job, but when the same person comes by 6 times after taking pix of placers, you'd think they would let you by and not walk all the way around the coliseum.
I too agree with the price of food. I don't understand how blood workers get free food tickets and the coaches don't. I don't think there's much justice in that.
Maybe it should be held somewhere else.

Re: STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76364 03/01/04 07:56 PM
B
Brent Lane Offline
B
Somebody please explain to me why the door opposite where the pictures are taken is an up only entrance. Why can we get down that all weekend but during the finals the staff makes you walk all the way around. I had a suit on. I had my wrist band and coaches pass. I was not sneaking down on the floor. This to me was absolutely ridiculous. I don't mind walking, that is not the problem. Talk about making life heck on everybody.

And I will never pay 6 dollars for a hospitality room again. I understand the need to cover your costs. We hosted 4 events this year and paid for all the hospitality rooms. Give me some variety for my money. I appreciate the effort of those that made this possible, but can you explain to me why 6 dollars for less variety than before. I did bother to go elsewhere to get my lunch.

Also, I kept thinking as I was using the restroom how many wrestlers were stepping in the sewage on the floor in the bathrooms. And we worry about ringworm.

"If it is to be, it is up to me!"
Re: STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76365 03/02/04 03:12 AM
V-S Vikings Offline
Wouldn't you just love for someone from the Coliseum to respond, just once?

"The only thing you ever deserve is what you earn."
— Tom Brands, Head Wrestling Coach, Virginia Tech
Re: STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76366 03/02/04 03:52 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Hey guys...this is good stuff...I may actually have to put in 3 questions or so and let you guys attack...then do my sports write up for the News-Times complaining about the situation. I'm a wrestler through and through, and now that I'm a journalist...I will be a voice for the wrestling public.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76367 03/02/04 04:38 AM
V-S Vikings Offline
Aaron:

Pose your questions; I for one will be glad to help. Not that I think it will help. Sedgwick County doesn't care what we think.

As for pizzaboy's comments, get something straight: NO ONE wants to move out of Wichita more than Rick Bowden; trouble is arranging for new sites. But that will happen.

"The only thing you ever deserve is what you earn."
— Tom Brands, Head Wrestling Coach, Virginia Tech
Re: STATE IN WICHITA, SHAPE UP OR MOVE! #76368 03/02/04 05:03 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
1. How do you feel about the cleanliness of the State environment of the 4,5,6a venue in Wichita?

2. How do you think the coaches, athletes, spectators..etc, are treated by Collesium staff, and explain.

3. Is the 4,5,6a venue at Wichita money driven?

4. Is there a need of a new venue? If so where should it go?

5. Is there a need for a new tournament direct? If so whom?

Threw down 5....if you can my deadline will be the 8th of March (Monday) by 6pm.

Feel free to email me at ucosweazy@yahoo.com

Please include first and last name, town you are from, and how affiliated with the sport..i.e: spectator, referee, athlete, coach, cheerleader, manager..etc. If you are from a school please let me know if you are a coach whether you are a head coach or otherwise and of what school, same thing applies to wrestlers (let me know what school you attend and add what year in school you are).

Thanks for your time...hopefully we can get something done as a community!

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 163 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,942
Posts250,374
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)