Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I know this is a sensitive issue #77059 04/23/03 03:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
but who here gets ticked off when people make fun of wrestling because it involves guys in tights?

So dumb

Re: I know this is a sensitive issue #77060 04/23/03 04:37 PM
havid deidrick Offline
i get mad when people say its a fag sport. makes me wanna beat the **** out of em. you gotta be a real man to be a wrestler. fags play basketball cause they dont wanna break their nails.

Big Dave
Re: I know this is a sensitive issue #77061 04/24/03 12:44 AM
BuffTiger04 Offline
I agree. I get very angry when people make fun of this sport beacuse they don't actually know how tough it is to wrestle. And always being called fags cuz we roll around w/ a bunch of sweaty guys it tights and what not, I'm not gonna go into details cuz we've all heard them before. In all reality, I think that those who like to make fun of this sport are just jealous cuz we're doin a real man's sport that no one can handle but us. Just because we don't have to dribble around overgrown sized balls for us to think that we have them, don't be hatin. Cuz we know we have them.

Semper Fi, Daniel Smith, USMC
Re: I know this is a sensitive issue #77062 04/24/03 03:47 AM
Pups4Ever Offline
Here's a good response to the "fag" accustion:

Yeah, I do get in tights. But here's the thing, I know I'm straight. I'm confident in my heterosexuality. I don't know if you're confident you're a heterosexual because you have to ask me if I'm gay, which I'm not. So let me ask you this, which one of us is more confident we're straight: A guy who is so confident he's straight that he doesn't really care what people say or a guy who is going around asking people if they are gay?

Also, if they're from a sucky basketball team (didn't win a game at their substate), I Like to add this:

I qualified for the state tournament. Sure, I went 2-and-out, but I was a lot closer to winning state than you ever were!

"I hate basketball! I'd rather watch paint dry!" -- CVHS Wrestling coach Troy Lentz 2005
Re: I know this is a sensitive issue #77063 04/25/03 01:45 AM
BJ Offline
Do you think one reason could be because some wrestlers get on the forum and complain about being called names, but turn around and call basketball players all sorts of names. In the school I attend there is friendship between the two sports, all wrestlers cheer the basketball players on, and vice versa i know many wrestlers my age this year that skipped kids state to watch our boys win a state championship. No, I am not a basketball player either, I did play basketball in high school, but now am a wrestler. If basketball players and wrestlers treat eachother with equal respect then this problem probably wouldn't arise. The real problem is the people that don't go out for any sports and make fun of us, and the dumb jock thing is really bad, the 3 smartest guys in my grade start on the football team.

B.J..
Re: I know this is a sensitive issue #77064 04/25/03 03:02 AM
Pups4Ever Offline
I agree with you, Bub. Our basketball team was something like 1-21 this year (OUCH!) but the wrestlers usually showed up for the home games and even some away games. We had 4 basketball players come and watch the wrestlers at the state tournament. We have a good mutual respect for each other.

My statement was to the people who accuse wrestlers as being "fags." SOME of them are basketball players, that's why I said "IF" they are from a sucky basketball team. Yeah, the biggest losers are the ones that do nothing, that just makes me mad when they say we (or other sports) suck, but they don't do anything...

"I hate basketball! I'd rather watch paint dry!" -- CVHS Wrestling coach Troy Lentz 2005
Re: I know this is a sensitive issue #77065 04/25/03 08:35 PM
havid deidrick Offline
when i was in schoool, the basketball players and wrestlers cheered for each other as well, but we still gave each other crap. they arent the problem. its the people that dont do either and then call us names. they are the ones that tick me off. people who dont know anything about the sport and just see sweaty guys rolling around in tights together. just stupid people.

Big Dave
Re: I know this is a sensitive issue #77066 04/26/03 01:13 AM
Coach Holmes Offline
A couple of years ago, I had a kid tell me for months that he was coming out for wrestling, even helped us move our new mat into out wrestling room. But when the first day of practice rolled around, he didn't show up, choosing to tell one of my captains that he wasn't going to wrestle because only "gays" would be seen in public in a singlet.
Ironically, the captain he said it to happened to be dating one of the best-looking girls in school (who was also one of our managers). My captain pointed that out to this homophobic, who had no response.
After missing out on that season and noticing that all of the girls who hung around our program were pretty good looking, the homophobic finally went out this past season — as a senior.
Lesson learned.

Re: I know this is a sensitive issue #77067 04/26/03 04:28 AM
Pups4Ever Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by tkdwn42:
After missing out on that season and noticing that all of the girls who hung around our program were pretty good looking, the homophobic finally went out this past season — as a senior.
Lesson learned.
I wish I could say that the girls who hung around our program were good looking (though they aren't bad, and they're all pretty nice). Just ask our cheerleaders if they would have had more fun cheering for basketball or wrestling... Plus we got a thrid place trophy as a team (beat out some schools with full teams) with only 9 wrestlers... Wrestling is one of the most successful guys programs at our school (I wish we had "fans" and not just parents, though...)

MAN! I LOVE WRESTLING!

Re: I know this is a sensitive issue #77068 04/26/03 08:22 AM
S
SillyBIlly Offline
S
I hate when people make fun of wrestling. They are stupid and never even watch a wrestling match before. I dislike cheerleaders yelling by the mat because, i can't hear my coach. I usually don't listen to my coach because, he never yells.. Haha

Re: I know this is a sensitive issue #77069 04/28/03 04:57 AM
Nigel Isom Offline
My school was and alwasy has been biased towards the basketball team. Its really sad too becuase our basketball teams are consistantly sucky in fact this year the boys didn't win one game, and yet they still manage to fill the auditorium every game. Whereas our wrestling team which has won 3 state titles in the last 6 years including this year are lucky to fill one side. I've heard basketball players talk bad about the wrestlers but not one of them ever had the guts to come up and call me . And even if they did I would just laugh at them because my girlfriend would be standing right next to me. What is really funny is my sophmore years we had about 5 guys come out for wrestling that played basketball thier freshman years and the did well, one of them was actually on varsity (granted he did wrestle for 6 years before that) The funniest thing was that 5 of our best wrestlers could be the 5 varsity starters of our basketball team in thier own game but its not the other way around. All I can say is let them think whatever they want.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: I know this is a sensitive issue #77070 04/28/03 05:11 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Nigel I know what you mean...with the exception of the rivalry our schools had, it was pretty sad most of the time to look up in the stands...and for the most part see just that...Stands!!! I love the NCKL and Wrestling...I just wish more people would fight for this sport instead of go through the motions half the time.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: I know this is a sensitive issue #77071 04/28/03 05:29 PM
havid deidrick Offline
that is one of the bad things about wrestling. there is hardly ever a full place, unless there is a marquee wrestler involved. whenever we (pv) would go dual with paola, half the people said they were there just to see luke page which was awesome. And i love wrestling, but it really is boring to watch. there usually isnt much actoin. One of the college coaches, maybe the missouri head coach, put an emphasis on pinning the opponent and not just decisoining him. not only did this increase the actoin and excitement, but it brought in a lot more fans. same thing for basketball, football, teams placing more emphasis on offense draw larger crowds, even if they are not very good. and having a stud on your team increases attendence. Jordan played on a horrible team in the Wizards, but every arena he played in was sold out, even when they played another horrible team. and i have no idea how i got on this subject but oh well.

Big Dave
Re: I know this is a sensitive issue #77072 04/29/03 02:20 AM
T
takemedown Offline
T
you should look at Mulvane, even when they don't have the team, they have the crowds. It is incredible. must be something in the water.

Re: I know this is a sensitive issue #77073 04/29/03 03:43 AM
Pups4Ever Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel Isom:
My school was and alwasy has been biased towards the basketball team. Its really sad too becuase our basketball teams are consistantly sucky in fact this year the boys didn't win one game, and yet they still manage to fill the auditorium every game. Whereas our wrestling team which has won 3 state titles in the last 6 years including this year are lucky to fill one side.
Man! You couldn't tell that at the state tournament! I always knew whenver an Abeline wrestler was going. How? Your whole crowd (and, yes, I would call it a crowd) started chanting "Go soandso go!" Which got annoying. But, hey! I wish we had fans that got annoying!

Congrats on the state championship, BTW, it is a cool thing to have in your trophy case.

Fan support is something this sport is in dire need of.

Mulvane has the biggest following I have ever seen. And it's really not just wrestling. According to someone from there that I met at Boy's State, they have huge crowds at most of their sporting events. MAN! That's what you call "pride!" I wish our school had it...

Re: I know this is a sensitive issue #77074 04/30/03 06:56 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Mulvane has a good following...so does Abilene...but as for something in the water...I think that's in Coach Alley's pond in Augusta....Saferite and Silvis Oh my!!!

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: I know this is a sensitive issue #77075 05/01/03 12:25 AM
Nigel Isom Offline
Yeah all of the fans that you saw at the state tournament from Abilene as the same ones that come to all the duals. I didn't mean to say we don't have good fans, we just don't have the numbers were should for 3X state champions.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 153 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)