Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Schools without wrestling? #78394 11/30/05 08:48 PM
BigPin22 Offline OP
OP Offline
Does anyone have a list of schools that do not have wrestling? (especially 3A schools)

I know there was a post on this once before, but I have been unable to locate it.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

"Stats are for losers. Final scores are for winners." Bill Belicheck
Re: Schools without wrestling? #78395 11/30/05 09:55 PM
Magnum811 Offline
Northern Heights in N. Lyon Co.
But they are working on it.

Re: Schools without wrestling? #78396 12/01/05 12:06 AM
Pups4Ever Offline
Iola
Kingman
Girard

(all 4a schools)

"I hate basketball! I'd rather watch paint dry!" -- CVHS Wrestling coach Troy Lentz 2005
Re: Schools without wrestling? #78397 12/01/05 12:07 AM
Pups4Ever Offline
Practically the whole CNC League (though Frontenac wrestles with Columbus). They are mostly 3a.

"I hate basketball! I'd rather watch paint dry!" -- CVHS Wrestling coach Troy Lentz 2005
Re: Schools without wrestling? #78398 12/01/05 01:12 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
This is an area I would like to see the KWCA and all wrestling fans more proactive. There should be a reasonable goal set for the creation of new programs and a plan established for accomplishing that goal. I can think of at least a half dozen schools that SHOULD have a program and another half dozen that have citizens working to create one and simply need direction or help.

Re: Schools without wrestling? #78399 12/01/05 01:22 AM
BigPin22 Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually, Frontenac has only had two or three kids ever wrestle in high school, and they wrestled with Pittsburg.

Pittsburg may have a wrestler from St. Mary's Colgan wrestling with them this year.

You can only Co-op with one school, and Columbus has had a wrestler from Baxter Springs on their team.

But, Yes the CNC league is hurting for wrestling. NorthEast-Arma was looking to hire a wrestling coach this year. So,I assume that they plan on adding wrestling in the near future.

I also think SouthEast-Cherokee would be a great canidate to add a program. They are one of the biggest 3A schools.

"Stats are for losers. Final scores are for winners." Bill Belicheck
Re: Schools without wrestling? #78400 12/01/05 03:42 AM
M
Mom160 Offline
M
Oxford doesn't have wrestling.

Re: Schools without wrestling? #78401 12/01/05 03:43 AM
C
Cotton McKnight Offline
C
Madison and Lebo

Re: Schools without wrestling? #78402 12/01/05 04:26 AM
Pups4Ever Offline
Humboldt and Yates Center from the Tri-Valley League (they are 3a).

That's good to hear about Arma!

Re: Schools without wrestling? #78403 12/01/05 02:18 PM
P
Phi Gam Offline
P
sportsfan2, that is a nice idea for the KWCA to highlight the addition of new programs. These are tight budgetary times, but that should not disuade us from the conversation. The NCAA coaches and others have made this a priority at the collegiate level - so there is a model to follow.

At the sime time, we should celebrate the new programs this year (that I know of....)

Doniphan West (Highland)
St. James Academy (Lenexa)
St Marys Colgan (Pittsburg)

who else....

Re: Schools without wrestling? #78404 12/01/05 02:34 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Phi Gam:
sportsfan2, that is a nice idea for the KWCA to highlight the addition of new programs. These are tight budgetary times, but that should not disuade us from the conversation. The NCAA coaches and others have made this a priority at the collegiate level - so there is a model to follow.

At the sime time, we should celebrate the new programs this year (that I know of....)

Doniphan West (Highland)

who else....
I guess what I'm looking for is like a business model or plan that could be used by patrons of the school districts. Between the KWCA and USAWKS I think we could put together a step by step program for accomplishing the goal. I would guess that any new program is almost always a bottom up initiative, meaning it starts with the local fans (see voters).

Re: Schools without wrestling? #78405 12/01/05 02:36 PM
S
Shelstin Offline
S
Holcomb is reviving a program that was cut back in the early 90's. They should have decent success for a start up program due to many of their kids having kids club experience out of Garden City. They have hired Joe Arellano as coach, who will do a great job and knows most of the kids through his club affiliation.

Rick Cue
ExHC
Ulysses
Re: Schools without wrestling? #78406 12/01/05 02:37 PM
S
Shelstin Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by sportsfan02:
Quote:

Doniphan West (Highland)

who else....
I guess what I'm looking for is like a business model or plan that could be used by patrons of the school districts. Between the KWCA and USAWKS I think we could put together a step by step program for accomplishing the goal. I would guess that any new program is almost always a bottom up initiative, meaning it starts with the local fans (see voters).
It's a much slower process, but a kids program in that community will get parents involved.

Rick Cue
ExHC
Ulysses
Re: Schools without wrestling? #78407 12/01/05 02:45 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Shelstin:
Quote:
Quote:

Doniphan West (Highland)

who else....
It's a much slower process, but a kids program in that community will get parents involved.
That would certainly be the first step in my opinion, but then you run into the problem if there is no high school program where does a kids program practice? But even at that, we see places where there have been kids programs for years and have not been successful in getting a program into the high school. Those type of situations are the ones that could benefit the most from a basic plan outline.

Re: Schools without wrestling? #78408 12/01/05 10:01 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
This is an area I would like to see the KWCA and all wrestling fans more proactive. There should be a reasonable goal set for the creation of new programs and a plan established for accomplishing that goal. I can think of at least a half dozen schools that SHOULD have a program and another half dozen that have citizens working to create one and simply need direction or help.
I agree 110%. Just look how much wrestling has grown in the state as far as colleges go in the last several years. You don't have to look back to far to find Neosho sprouted up out of no where, then Newman and now Pratt CC. The growth is there. I think it's nuts Wichita doesn't have Middle School wrestling from what I've heard on these forums.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (hugz), 185 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,383
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)