Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Goddard vs Valley Center #79197 02/10/06 02:35 AM
U
Undertaker Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Valley Center beats Goddard 33-27. You could tell Goddard really misses there two wrestlers that got hurt. Taking nothing away from Valley Center they were unbelieveable. They wrestled extremely well and came out with the league title I believe by winning. I think that Valley could make a lot of noise in the tournament.

Re: Goddard vs Valley Center #79198 02/10/06 04:56 AM
bananabreath Offline
Final score was 34-28.

>>You could tell Goddard really misses there two wrestlers that got hurt<< The word is "their", as in possessive.

Goddard had FOUR guys out, and still gave VC a run for their money with the JV guys who gave it their best. Their "145" was really a JV 135, and did a bang up job of holding his own, so kudo's to him.

Hey, Valley Center knows about winning...would have liked to see more wrestling and a bit less stalling....but, it's a strategy, I suppose. And, nice job of the table guy who fudged when the time ran out on the 119 match...that was a gift. Still wouldn't have made up the whole team point gap for the Goddard team, but might not have felt so "home-town, good-old boy"...

None the less, They got their undefeated season and league win...makes for a nice patch on a coat.
Now, on to the real show...

Re: Goddard vs Valley Center #79199 02/10/06 01:19 PM
Ryan Jilka Offline
I want to say that VC wrestled very well and deserves the title. They beat us. Period. We had chances to win that we didn't take advantage of. They took advantage of their chances.

Congratulations to Coach Shelton, his staff, and his team. It was also very neat to see him name his dad as his honorary coach for the evening.

Coach Jilka

"The days I can keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are good days" ~ Judy Hubbard
Re: Goddard vs Valley Center #79200 02/10/06 04:36 PM
B
badwrestlingfan Offline
B
I've been following wrestling for a lot of years and I just want to say that Valley Center's wrestling program is one of the best around. Their coaches can make a great wrestler from scratch. They've never had to rely on "move-ins" to stack their team. They teach team concept and loyalty and it showed last night. Their entire team was into each and every match, cheering for their teammates and showing their unity. I saw some individuals on Goddard's team that wrestled and then went into the crowd to chat with buddies. And what is up with one of the daddy's coaching over Jilka's shoulder? Was that their 112-pounder's dad? Come on, Jilka. And what about the quote in the Wichita paper about having 5 wrestlers out? I counted 2. Making excuses before the loss.......just in case? Jilka you got class, but you need to get rid of your 4th coach. I was a little surprised at how out of shape a couple of Goddard's wrestlers were, too. Their HW was gasping by the end of the 1st period. What a great dual! Good luck to both teams at State.

Re: Goddard vs Valley Center #79201 02/10/06 05:16 PM
H
headtomat Offline
H
Quote:
Originally posted by badwrestlingfan:
I've been following wrestling for a lot of years and I just want to say that Valley Center's wrestling program is one of the best around. Their coaches can make a great wrestler from scratch. They've never had to rely on "move-ins" to stack their team. They teach team concept and loyalty and it showed last night. Their entire team was into each and every match, cheering for their teammates and showing their unity. I saw some individuals on Goddard's team that wrestled and then went into the crowd to chat with buddies. And what is up with one of the daddy's coaching over Jilka's shoulder? Was that their 112-pounder's dad? Come on, Jilka. And what about the quote in the Wichita paper about having 5 wrestlers out? I counted 2. Making excuses before the loss.......just in case? Jilka you got class, but you need to get rid of your 4th coach. I was a little surprised at how out of shape a couple of Goddard's wrestlers were, too. Their HW was gasping by the end of the 1st period. What a great dual! Good luck to both teams at State.
When looking at the Colby Results and the VC Dual results I see some major differences in Goddard's line up with 4 major changes @ 119 Bolay beat VC wrestler @ Colby Houlden wrestled last night for Goddard and did well lost in the last(possibly extra) second. @ 130 Moses won @ colby @ 145 Bonewell Did not Wrestle for Goddard 135lb JV Wrestler took his place @ HWt Owens wrestled instead of Haught.I also Saw that VC had some changes in their lineup in @ Colby Not to Take anything Away from VC they did a good job last night but I would love to see both of these teams at full stength. I also want to congradgulate VC on the league title.

Re: Goddard vs Valley Center #79202 02/10/06 05:41 PM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Quote:
Originally posted by badwrestlingfan:
They've never had to rely on "move-ins" to stack their team.
How can a coach control who moves into his district and attends school there. They transferred from New Mexico so they had their choice of everywhere in Kansas. Why didn't they choose Derby? Bishop Carrol? Let it go, they chose Goddard and Coach Jilka has made the most of his opportunity.

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Goddard vs Valley Center #79203 02/10/06 05:55 PM
bananabreath Offline
To BAD WRESTLING FAN

When will you people get off the "move-in" "ringer freshman" band wagon.

These boys club wrestled here, moved away (hello, their parents took them, not like they were in some Goddard USD funded undercover wrestler trainig program)to get great coaching and experience and they obviously could have moved anywhere,as demonstrated by the move in middle school, but chose to come back to Godddard.

Let's face it, it is transparent jealousy that has fueled these comments (and they are all over this forum). You are saying that you would have shown these kids the door when they walked into your wrestling room? Right. uh huh.

They are fine you men, and like many excellent athletes (clue: watch the Olympics tonight) have pursued training and experience that will benefit them. It is within a parent's right to do that for a kid, however, no amount of parent pushing will make a wrestler as good as these two if they didn't want it for themselves. That being said, there were two other freshman in the VARSITY lineup last night who acquitted themselves very well, (the official outcome of Houlden's match being up to debate, but resigned to it) and no one seems to give them any credit.

Or hey, what about the other guys on the team. You don't get to be a great team, and yes, they are a team even it they don't meet YOUR litmus test for team spirit, without contributions from the whole, and that means great JV sparring partners as well as strong team leaders. The upperclassmen have battled thru some tough stuff and they are still showing up when we all know that this is the hardest for them, mentally and physically. Just ask West High School, if you think one or two studs will get you a string of team wins. Nothing against them, their coach is quoted as saying that very thing, they aren't as deep as he would like and he says it is a challenge.

Goddard has a strong lineup, as does VC and Derby and STA and BC and many others.

So...put your jealousy back in your pocket, try to accept the fact that both VC and Goddard are great wrestling teams and go cheer your boys on to a great Regionals.

Re: Goddard vs Valley Center #79204 02/10/06 07:05 PM
T
Tantor Offline
T
They did not "boys club wrestled there".

Re: Goddard vs Valley Center #79205 02/10/06 07:36 PM
T
Tantor Offline
T
Bannanna man said "here" which would be Goddard.
There would be Valley Center.
It's nice to know who and where the freshman came from.
Thanks bigPIN22

Re: Goddard vs Valley Center #79206 02/10/06 07:38 PM
BigPin22 Offline
USA Wrestling - Kansas Kids
State Folkstyle Results
March 29-30, 2002

12 / 80 … 1st … Paul Hansen, Turner
12 / 80 … 2nd … Ty Caldwell, Valley Center
12 / 80 … 3rd … Brett Swoyer, Manhattan
12 / 80 … 4th … Skip VanTrece, Paola
12 / 80 … 5th … Nick Flynn, Slammers
12 / 80 … 6th … Jon Woodbridge, Abilene

12 / 105 … 1st … Jared Hensley, Rose Hill
12 / 105 … 2nd … Eric Page, Rose Hill
12 / 105 … 3rd … Colt Nickell, Linn County
12 / 105 … 4th … Scott Markey, STA
12 / 105 … 5th … Casey Curran, KCK Kids
12 / 105 … 6th … Boaz Beard, Valley Center

State Folkstyle Results
March 29-30, 2003

12 / 88 … 1st … Tyler Caldwell, Valley Center
12 / 88 … 2nd … Tyler Koehn, Pittsburg
12 / 88 … 3rd … Nick Peterson, Abilene
12 / 88 … 4th … Seth Mertins, Valley Center
12 / 88 … 5th … J.T. Kozlowski, Geary Co.
12 / 88 … 6th … Sal Tovar, Emporia

12 / 110 … 1st … Romero Cotton, TOHK
12 / 110 … 2nd … Boaz Beard, Brawlers
12 / 110 … 3rd … Brent Romig, East Kansas
12 / 110 … 4th … Slade Giesen, Great Bend
12 / 110 … 5th … Cody Provance, Chapman
12 / 110 … 6th … Jordan Meyer, Borderline

State Folkstyle Results
March 27-28, 2004

1st Tyler Caldwell Brawlers
2nd Zach Ceman Phillipsburg
3rd Brett Delich Mill Valley
4th Nick Flynn Slammers
5th Trey Adams Grant County
6th Dane Kepka Rice County

1st Scott Elliott Team of Hard Knox
2nd Boaz Beard Brawlers
3rd Kevin Callahan Baldwin
4th Chris Scheideman Team Extreme
5th Cameron Riojas Ark City Takedown
6th Skyler Scott STA

"Stats are for losers. Final scores are for winners." Bill Belicheck
Re: Goddard vs Valley Center #79207 02/10/06 07:52 PM
T
Tantor Offline
T
Thanks bigPin.
You showed bananaman that they couldn't have moved back to Goddard because they were never there.

Re: Goddard vs Valley Center #79208 02/10/06 08:00 PM
O
oldfan Offline
O
I would have to agree with badwrestlingfan on the point he makes about getting the 4th coach out of there. That guy was raising cain at the Derby finals and I'm sure or I should say I bet coach Jilka does not like some of the conduct that has gone on with his fans. But having said that, I'VE SEEN ALOT WORST.

Re: Goddard vs Valley Center #79209 02/10/06 09:13 PM
bananabreath Offline
oooh gentlemen, you are putting words in my mouth, I said "here" like Kansas-here as opposed to New Mexico-there or Oklahoma-somewhere else!!!!

How very egotistical to think that after they moved to New Mexico the ONLY place to come back to would be Valley Center, Kansas. They could have gone ANYWHERE is the point I was making and they chose to come "here" Kansas, "here" Goddard. Sorry that you are so intent on finding a conspiracy, but I still don't think you have a leg to stand except for sour grapes that their parents didn't want to move them back to benefit your pet program. And I will not go further in questioning that move, it is the parents' call. Not a coach's, an AD's, a school's and certainly not somebody on a public forum about wrestling.

As for 4th coaches...again, Coach Jilka is kind and patient, perhaps a fault, but there are much worse, as was pointed out above.

Re: Goddard vs Valley Center #79210 02/10/06 09:31 PM
L
lost in space Offline
L
why this controversy? Goddard has had kids leave there program to go elsewhere to wrestle. Anyone remember a little stud named Tyler Adcock?

don't remember the big deal about Northwest welcoming him to their program...And he did very well for them.

Move on....

Re: Goddard vs Valley Center #79211 02/10/06 11:16 PM
3boysmom Offline
Badwrestlingfan

I have a problem with your comments not one person put down anybody or any team. You seem to be the one with a chip on your shoulder. I have no problem with how the dual came out last night. Coach Jilka was looking out for our wrestlers. Yes it would have been nice to have league title, but the bigger picture is the State title. Goddard has a chance at that. Goddard has had a very busy month and some very tuff matches that injures have ocurred in. We had several JV wrestlers last night that did very well. Goddard does not recruit. If people ask about our program. You will not find a parent or wrestler who will say anything nagative. I personally think we have one of the best or the best coaching staff in Kansas. We also are a very close family. I applaud our coaches for there job. Our kids (all) work very hard for what they accomplished this year so far. We are a team!!!! The boys take that very seriously.

Re: Goddard vs Valley Center #79212 02/11/06 04:46 AM
J
JayHawkster Offline
J
One thing not mentioned in the entire discussion is that when both teams were at FULL STRENGTH Goddard smokes Valley by 30. They are 1-1 this year and Goddard certainly would win the tie breaker (Largest Victory Margin). Therefore Goddard is the league champ! Congrats Coach Jilka!! Good job last night Coach Shelton!!

Re: Goddard vs Valley Center #79213 02/11/06 01:45 PM
C
Coach Shelton Offline
C
Several points:

1. Ty Caldwell and Boaz Beard are two of the nicest kids I have ever had contact with in wrestling. They have always been gentlemen around me. Both Ty and Boaz have attended our camps in the summer and been a great influence on the younger wrestlers in our program. Ronnie Beard and Ty Caldwell Sr. are two parents I respect and consider my friends. If they made a decision in the best interest of their kids about where to attend high school, power to them. Nobody involved with the Valley Center Wrestling Team has any hard feelings.

2. I couldn't be more proud of my team with their performance this season. We have a great group of wrestlers, parents and fans. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

3. Valley Center vs Goddard has been a great rivalry for many years. We always look forward to competing against them. Coach Jilka and I have discussed this many times.

Anymore discussion of woulda, shoulda, couldas about the dual on Thursday night takes away from the wrestlers that competed. It was one of the most exciting, loud and well wrestled duals I have ever been a part of.

Feel free to call me personally if you need to talk about this further.

Brian Shelton
Valley Center High School
316-648-6743

*31 JV matches between the two schools on Thursday night. The future looks good for both programs.

Re: Goddard vs Valley Center #79214 02/11/06 02:24 PM
L
lost in space Offline
L
there, now see, the coaches are the only ones on thise thread with any sense of chivalry...the rest of y'all are just itching for something to be ticked about.

Good luck to all at REgionals,, this will be a year to remember

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 134 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,384
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)