Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4659 03/19/05 03:40 AM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
I am saddened to report that tonight, March 18, 2005 at approximately 8:30 PM 8-year-old Tyler Graebner left his shoes on the mat and retired from his long battle. As a wrestler he inspired Olympic, World, and NCAA Champions. In December of 2004 he was named USA Wrestler of the Week for the inspiration he had provided so many. The legacy that he has left because of his battle will inspire and motivate many for years to come. May we all remember the battle he fought and the lessons he taught us. I was blessed to be with him along with my wife and son, but more importantly many family members, were present. Remember especially in your prayers the close family that remains, including mother and father, James and Christina, and brother and sister, Patrick and Amber. More on services will follow in the days to come.

Re: Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4660 03/19/05 03:52 AM
W
wrestlersmom2004 Offline
W
this is a very sad day for our wrestling family, our prayers and thoughts are with tylers family

slammers wrestling club

Re: Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4661 03/19/05 04:32 AM
Jess Keith Offline
This is indeed a very sad day for our wrestling community. Many tears will be shed, even by those of us who did not have the pleasure of knowing Tyler personally. It is true that Tyler has touched many lives. He was a small boy, but has left a giant impact on wrestling. Although, he has physically left us, may the inspiration that he has left behind, urge us onward to make the sport all that it can be. Please know that the family that he has left behind will be in our thoughts and prayers. Our hearts truly go out to you in sorrow.

To Mike, Tyler's battle is over now. He has fought a tremoundous battle and has won in more ways than we even know, as he is now with Jesus. We thank you for being with Tyler and his family and fighting this battle side-by-side with them. As a tag team wrestler, Tyler has now tagged you and left it up to you to continue the good work that you have already started. I cannot think of a greater warrior to take up the challenge that is left behind.

There is a hole in our wrestling family tonight. TYLER GRAEBNER, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU'VE SHOWN US, YOU WILL BE MISSED!!

Re: Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4662 03/19/05 06:02 AM
C
coachjw Offline
C
Our hearts go out to the family, and we will remember Tyler as we cheer on our wrestlers at districts and state, keeping in mind how fortunate we are to still be able to partake in this sport with health. It is something we take for granted too often. It should be the goal of all clubs to not just train champions in the sport but champions in character like the late Tyler Graebner.

Coach John
Halstead

Re: Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4663 03/19/05 09:20 AM
new2wrestling Offline
Mike I hope that we can still meet at districts and have a prayer for Tyler and the family. Words of comfort, and being with the wrestling family at this time are important. Please post what time and where. Thanks

Re: Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4664 03/19/05 06:36 PM
Z
Zach F. Dad Offline
Z
Amen Jess Keith. Well said.

Re: Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4665 03/19/05 08:48 PM
M
mikeys'mom Offline
M
Our prayers and thoughts are with the Tyler's family. My god be with you....Wichita East Wrestling Club

Re: Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4666 03/19/05 10:06 PM
P
pacosparents Offline
P
No more hurting no more pain Tyler is in a better place. Our thoughts and prayers are with Tyler's family. May God Bless You All.

From Paco You will be missed;.

Re: Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4667 03/19/05 10:16 PM
S
sportsnutz*24*7 Offline
S
Keeping Tyler and his family in our thoughts and prayers! May you find comfort in your wrestling community and the Lord above.

Re: Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4668 03/19/05 10:57 PM
4newcs Offline
I did not get a chance to know Tyler, but I wish I would have. May you and your family find the peace and healing that you need to get through this time.

Prepare to Win!!! It comes from within you.
Re: Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4669 03/20/05 12:07 AM
M
MR.MR Offline
M
I am sad to say i never knew Tyler personally, although I did meet him while working a table at the Team Lightning tournament earlier this year. This is truley a sad thing to happen to such a good hearted kid. I am definatley keeping his family in my prayers. By the way, does anybody know what year Tyler was born?

Re: Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4670 03/20/05 01:01 AM
Gibby Offline
Mike,

I wish I would have been thinking when I poked into the web site while at the library with my daughter this afternoon. I saw another update on Tyler and I should have known better. Sitting in a public place holding my daughter tight and sobbing. No one around me knew what I was emotional about.

Thanks Mike for keeping us grounded. I do appreciate all you've done.

This state tourney should be a time of celebration. We should be celebrating the life of a young boy that most of us (me included) have never met, but prayed for every day because in our hearts we knew God needed to hear our call. This past season has put many things into perspective for me, mostly because I've read all of the posts on this young man. Look what this young man has done for us as a community.

He's brought us closer together and made us realize that there's more to life than Saturday and practice.

We've had a group of high school athletes come together and create something pretty darn cool in hopes to help out the family the best they could. I'm really looking forward to the exhibition because right there is living testimony on how we want our teens to be. I encourage everyone to watch the matches. Does your kid need a role model? There will be plenty on the mat during the exhibition.

Most importantly, it's reaffirmed for many their religious convictions. I'm saddened by our loss, but most important - I can see the work of God through the ordeal and what he's done for us. It's easy for us to question why such a young boy. When we step back from the situation for a moment and truly realize what this has done to each and every one of us as we check the updates with saddened hearts - wow, pretty amazing if you ask me.

Mike, I know that it would be difficult to pull off, but if there was any way possible, I think the best closure we could have as a state body would be to formally retire those shoes at the state tournament.

Just a thought.

Jeremy Gibson

Re: Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4671 03/20/05 01:34 AM
S
SKW Offline
S
Our thoughts and prayers are with Tyler's family.

Sunflower Kids Wrestling
Lawrence, KS

Re: Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4672 03/20/05 02:26 AM
S
shudog Offline
S
May God look over Tyler and his family in these hard times. Our prayers go out to Tyler and his family.
Hays Wrestling Club

Re: Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4673 03/20/05 02:56 AM
lil_sharpe_007 Offline
My prayers go out to Tyler's family....my god bless you
Deena Sharpe

"No Excuses"-Kyle Maynard
Re: Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4674 03/20/05 03:03 AM
C
CoachEd Offline
C
The NW Jr Grizzlies mourn with our wrestling family and rejoice with Tyler as he sees Jesus' face. Special blessings go out to Tyler's family.

Ms. Jenni

Re: Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4675 03/20/05 03:58 AM
H
hooked Offline
H
God's Speed little man!!! I pray blessing of peace and comfort for thefamily.

Re: Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4676 03/20/05 04:31 AM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
Services for Tyler Graebner are as Follows.
Receiving of friends and family, Sunday, March 20,2005, 5:00 PM –
Visitation at funeral home, all day Monday, March 21, 2005
Funeral: Tuesday, March 22, 11:00 AM Tuesday Elliot’s Funeral Home, Hutchinson, Kansas
Grave Side Service: Immediately following the funeral.

We will also be celebrating Tyler’s life and contribution to the wrestling community at the Kansas State Kids Wrestling Tournament. This will take place at various times with the presentation of the flag, by either Tyler’s family or his wrestling team during the opening ceremonies, and on Saturday March 26: at 1:30 PM prior to the start of the Kansas Kids Finals and Championships with a celebration of the retirement of the shoes, and Tag Team Wrestling for Tyler.

Re: Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4677 03/20/05 04:58 AM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a special request as well. I am really trying to get James, Christina and the family to come up this weekend for the state tournament. As most of you can realize it will be tough for them, tougher than any of us can imagine, but it would also be great for us and great for them.

There are more issues than some may realize . I am asking that if there are any rooms available, especially one that someone would be willing to donate for the family through a cancelation or something that you would consider doing this for the family. I also know that a lot is going on as you can imagine with finances for the family. However, if there is a way that we could have people come together and help with the expenses of the weekend, including travel, and with meals it would be great.

Realize they have not asked for any of this and don't even know if they are going to be able to be there, but these things would make it possible. While with them this evening I strongly encouraged that they try, and they are talking about it.

I agree with Gibby about the retirement of the shoes prior to tag team will be extremely emotional and you will want to have the hankies, but it will be an incredible reminder of the sacrifice it took to bring us all together. The celebration of what Tyler did, in part supporting a sport he loved, while having fun will be displayed in an awesome, and fun tag team match. I know, because I knew Tyler. He would have loved the tag team approach that he never got to see. I had someone tell me today that saw it at Derby, that it really does help symbolize that we can have our wrestlers wrestle hard and at the same time have fun.

Thanks again, today has been a rollercoaster. For those that saw me at the gym early on in Agusta, you know that I couldn't stay in the gym with the little kids very long. It don't help when people are walking up giving tons of hugs with tears in their eyes, and at the same time seeing little 8 & Under wrestlers going at it. Today I thanked God for Wrestling, but on more than a few ocassions I came close to breaking down, breaking down while talking to the many who were there telling me about what Tyler meant to them. How powerful has it been all been? While stopping at Dairy Queen on the way to Hutchinson some man I had never met comes up and hands me money to take to James and Christina. He thanks me for the family and wants the family to know that he was touched by Tyler. WOW! And this was only one of the many I had never met that said something to me today.

Jess, rest assured, I nor those touched by Tyler are going to let this die. I had another coach/dad from Buhler tell me tonight, that he hugged his kid when he went to wrestle today, said, "I love you and nothing else matters nearly as much as that." Said that in the 2 or 3 years he had been coaching his son that he had never done that, and now don't know if he will never not do it again. Thanks Tyler and Thanks God for blessing us with him. Thanks James, Christina, Amber, Patrick and the rest of the family, friends and Team Lightning for allowing your brother, friend, family member, and team mate to touch us.

Re: Tyler Leaves Shoes on the Mat #4678 03/20/05 05:01 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
The wrestling community is more than just a community, we're a family that stands together and battles together, there for one another when needed

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 164 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)