Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Move the GWAL City League Tournament. #80344 02/13/06 01:35 AM
M
Mike Church Sr. Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Just wondering what others would think of moving GWAL city league somewhere else. Heights is ok but what about Northwest,four mats, and plenty of seating. We could watch Jv and Varsity all at the same time. Or even Easthigh they have the nicest gym in the city. I think East or Northwest would be great sites.

Re: Move the GWAL City League Tournament. #80345 02/13/06 03:54 AM
D
donkey05 Offline
D
I agree with you 100%. It would be a smart move to change the venue. More room and maybe it could draw a bigger crowd. East or Northwest would be great.

Re: Move the GWAL City League Tournament. #80346 02/13/06 04:20 AM
D
Do the Chew Offline
D
I wrestled in the City League Tournament 4 years straight. I only got to wrestle in nw's gym 3 times. I would of loved to wrestle city at NW. It definatly needs to be moved somewhere. I also believe it would draw a larger crowd, Heights is out in the boon docks.

Re: Move the GWAL City League Tournament. #80347 02/13/06 04:52 AM
R
raslindude Offline
R
I would definitely say northwest. More room for mats, it would be nice to watch the jv too. why is it that heights gets it every year anyway?

Re: Move the GWAL City League Tournament. #80348 02/13/06 05:37 AM
J
JMC3148 Offline
J
ooo snap ya! NW is in a perfect location and a huge gym! i bet it holds ATLEAST 3x's what heights does with both bleechers down. And dont put the JV down in a dongen like at heights. Make them feel like they are put away from the varsity. Put them with us! Heck, Blake Seiler was JV as a freshman! right?!

What doesnt kill us only makes us stronger
Re: Move the GWAL City League Tournament. #80349 02/13/06 05:47 AM
D
donkey05 Offline
D
the only problem would be that northwest would not be able to use both bleachers if they want to fit four mats on the gym floor. But you are right northwest is a prime location and it would draw bigger crowds.

Re: Move the GWAL City League Tournament. #80350 02/13/06 06:40 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Maybe the coaches in the city league need to put it to a vote to either rotate it or hold it at a certain venue for multiple year contracts?

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Move the GWAL City League Tournament. #80351 02/13/06 03:40 PM
W
W. Heights AD Offline
W
Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Sweazy:
Maybe the coaches in the city league need to put it to a vote to either rotate it or hold it at a certain venue for multiple year contracts?
the problem is that each school is assigned to run certain events. I think each school gets two events per year. So it will never move unless Heights can pick up the tourney. I personally like it and believe Coach Wheeler and Coach S. did a good job. We were done early and the day ran smooth!

Church

Coach Church

"Well spoken words have great value, but hard work has it's own rewards"
Re: Move the GWAL City League Tournament. #80352 02/13/06 06:14 PM
B
bighead Offline
B
Big Mike- Why should a great tournament with such a rich tradition that goes back many decades be moved to accomodate you? Didn't you read the remark the wrestler made in the paper about the atmosphere being better than that of the State Tourny. Heights is an excellent place to have this thing over and over again. As for the JV sharing the stage, nonsense, they gotta earn it.

Re: Move the GWAL City League Tournament. #80353 02/13/06 06:29 PM
C
CoachS Offline
C
I don't see the big deal with Heights hosting the City tournament. We have 2 gyms and 3 good mats and 1 ok mat. I don't know of to many schools that have that. Give me the name of one other AD in the city that would want to host it. Some of you out there in the general public may not know what goes into host this tournament. Seeding meeting, setting up the gyms after a varsity basketball game, being early to let teams in to check weight, managing the tourney, setting up the hospitality room, putting out fires (not literally), handeling officials, wrestlers, coaches, fans, and tearing down after the tourney. On Friday we left the building at 12:00. Back up here at 6:00 am. We didn't leave till 9:00 pm which was pretty good for tear down. Its tuff work but I thought the tourney ran realy smooth. It did get started about 10 or 15 min late. There was some question as to whether or not we were going to be able to have the JV finals up in the big gym but things worked out and we were. Let me tell you its hard work putting on the city tourney. I don't know of to many AD's that would want such a big reposnibility.

Todd Sacquitne
Heights Wrestling

Re: Move the GWAL City League Tournament. #80354 02/13/06 06:34 PM
M
OP Offline
M
How does that accomodate me bighead? And yes I read that remark about the atmospere and now I ask you, you were a State Champ, which atmospere did you like better? It just seems to me like we can share that and pass it around there are some nice gyms in this city and Heights isn't one of them.Of course thats right you live out of state now and probabbly won't even come watch any of your ole buds wrestle or coach. If you do come to town I have supplies in the fridg with your name on them. P.S. I also think a City League JV Champion stage is good for the sport. Shows off up and coming wrestlers. I dont know maybe i'm wrong.

Re: Move the GWAL City League Tournament. #80355 02/13/06 06:44 PM
D
Do the Chew Offline
D
I wrestled in the City Leage Finals and the State Finals. Dont get me wrong Heights does a great job with introductions and the overall running of the tournament. But personally the environment at the state tourney at the huge coliseum is a better atmosphere then the city league at heights. Thats a personal opinion but maybe just maybe it might be time to let someone else host the city league and see how it goes. Change isnt always a bad thing.

Re: Move the GWAL City League Tournament. #80356 02/13/06 06:51 PM
B
bighead Offline
B
How does that accomodate me bighead? And yes I read that remark about the atmospere and now I ask you, you were a State Champ, which atmospere did you like better? It just seems to me like we can share that and pass it around there are some nice gyms in this city and Heights isn't one of them.Of course thats right you live out of state now and probabbly won't even come watch any of your ole buds wrestle or coach. If you do come to town I have supplies in the fridg with your name on them. P.S. I also think a City League JV Champion stage is good for the sport. Shows off up and coming wrestlers. I dont know maybe i'm wrong.

I figured NW would be a perfect location for you since you live down the street. Nothing compares to the atmosphere at the Coliseum, that is why 4A is really missing out. I do believe Heights has been hosting the city tournament longer than the Coliseum has State. It is the history and tradition I like to see. As you now know from CoachS' post, a lot goes into such a tournament. Heights does it better than any other school possibly could. I would love to see some KS wrestling, why you think I'm on this site everyday? As for what's in you fridge, I quit drinking...NOT!

Re: Move the GWAL City League Tournament. #80357 02/13/06 06:53 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Coach S, We are very much appreciate the hard work that goes into city league. However I have a couple of disagreements and I may be wrong. There are alot of us who knows exactly what it takes to run a tournament. Only for no pay, like borrowing matts for a 900 kid jr. league tournament, renting security because we don't have it at our disposal like 259 does having to pay for emergency service out of proceeds for a nonprofit program instead of letting the tax payers pay for it. Staying up all nite cooking food for the next day (fundraiser) vollunteers showing up at six no 5a.m. rolling matts and staying much much later than 9 p.m.CLEANING so as to be in good enough graces with whoever was nice enough to let us use a facility that us tax payers paid for anyhow. In all that said I fully understand why no AD wants the extra load as do you but I wont post that!!!!! Also if the load is ever to big and you could use some help, don't hesitate to call as I know plenty of people who will jump right in and help out. FREE.

Re: Move the GWAL City League Tournament. #80358 02/13/06 07:08 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
Originally posted by bighead:
I do believe Heights has been hosting the city tournament longer than the Coliseum has State. It is the history and tradition I like to see. As you now know from CoachS' post, a lot goes into such a tournament. Heights does it better than any other school possibly could.
In the late eighties the City League Tournament was held at Wichita East High School in the old gym. All seating was upstairs and was quite crowded.

The tournament moved to Wichita Heights sometime in the nineties.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Move the GWAL City League Tournament. #80359 02/13/06 07:18 PM
B
bighead Offline
B
In the late eighties the City League Tournament was held at Wichita East High School in the old gym. All seating was upstairs and was quite crowded.

The tournament moved to Wichita Heights sometime in the nineties.

--------------------
Richard D. Salyer
RichardDSalyer@sbcglobal.net
(316)541-2764
Strive to be a reliable pursuer and presenter of fact!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it held at Heights before East hosted it?

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 99 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,384
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)