Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Very Best of Kansas Wrestling #82138 02/26/06 06:53 PM
A
andyhurla Offline OP
OP Offline
A
This is my first and probably last post on this forum, but there are a few things I would like to say before I go. As my High School wrestling career comes to a close, I could not be more proud of every single wrestler that competed this year in the Coliseum. My team, Saint Thomas Aquinas, wrestled like champions, despite our setbacks, but we still fell short. I can't describe how awesome it was on Saturday seeing our backside wrestlers fighting, kicking, shooting and sprawling for their spot on the medal stand. The amazing thing to me is that usually when our team wrestles like this, we win tournaments. With 7 placers(one Champion, 2 runner-ups, 2 thirds, one fourth, and a 5th) the best we could muster was 4th place! The level of competition this weekend was set at a very high level, and Carrol, Kapaun, and Valley Center rose to the occasion.
I've read this forum for all the years I've been in high school, and I've heard the bashing on the quality of Kansas wrestlers, and Catholic school recruiting, and bad refs. But after this weekend, as a competitive athlete watching many other competitive athletes, I can't help but appreciate all the competitors just flat-out busting their butts for a medal, even though some fell short. That is something we can all admire.

I also wanted to thank all the people that have helped me accomplish my ultimate goal in wrestling, with my very last chance. I remember all of the Kansas Kids wrestling tournaments, when I got my butt stopped for a good 5 years. Everyone involved with Kansas wrestling should feel good about themselves for helping the State Champions this year do what they did! My coaches took my desire to win and helped me form it into a succesful wrestling career, I couldn't be more grateful. And my teammates, the ones that i've wrestled countless drill and live matches with, they are true champions. I have to thank my parents because they are awesome but they don't even read this, and God, cuz i've screwed up plenty of times but somehow things have worked out for me, so he's gatta be helping me somewhere.
For those of you that fell short this year, take that desire to win and use it, and work until you know you are a champion, and everyhting will work out fine.
Congratulations to all of the State champions, team and individual. And Gutwrench, I will proabably be at the Metro Classic, if you are going to be there I would like to meet you, if that's okay with you, just so I know who you are. You're secret will be safe with me....
Saints, go get'em next year, and remember,"Make the match yours and the tournaments ours!"

Re: The Very Best of Kansas Wrestling #82139 02/26/06 07:54 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Awesome job and great career, Andy. I know the entire Aquinas wrestling community is very proud of you. Congratulations on your state championship.

Also congratulations to the rest of the Aquinas wrestlers too. You overcame a lot adversity this year and you should be proud of how you did. I think the coaches did a great job too.

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Re: The Very Best of Kansas Wrestling #82140 02/26/06 08:06 PM
parkwayred Offline
Class Act!
I wish you great success in what ever you pursue in life young man!
Godspeed…

I’m not very smart… but I can lift heavy things!
Re: The Very Best of Kansas Wrestling #82141 02/27/06 04:41 AM
T
TIME2G0 Offline
T
Great job andy! I knew it all along, and I told you that before your match with Kyle. I hope the best for you in college and the rest of high school. Congrats!!

Re: The Very Best of Kansas Wrestling #82142 02/27/06 04:50 AM
S
Shark16 Offline
S
Congratulations on your championship Andy. Your match with Lansing's Kyle Grape was one of the most exciting matches of the tournament. The two of you gave all of the wrestling fans in the Coliseum a real treat.

Re: The Very Best of Kansas Wrestling #82143 02/27/06 04:13 PM
G
gutwrench1 Offline
G
Hurla, first of all congrats on winning a state title and enjoying the thrill of that accomplishment. Second of all I predict that the next time we see you it will be the Metro Classic. You'll be on your back and kicking like a junebug.

Re: The Very Best of Kansas Wrestling #82144 02/28/06 12:15 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Quote:
Originally posted by gutwrench1:
Hurla, first of all congrats on winning a state title and enjoying the thrill of that accomplishment. Second of all I predict that the next time we see you it will be the Metro Classic. You'll be on your back and kicking like a junebug.
Andy, I think in his gutwrench1 style he is just trying to motivate you for the Metro. He obviously doesn't know Andy Hurla. This young man has been a motivated warrior since he was a young wrestler in Kids who fought and clawed his way to become first a Kids State champ and now a Kansas 5A high school state champ. This young warrior knows how to provide his own drive to win from within. Like Joe Johnston, this young man did not start out winning state titles as a kid but no one worked or fought harder to become the wrestler he is today. Good luck at the Metro, Andy. You are an inspiration to all the young wrestlers in the STA wrestling room and for their coaches and parents too.

Vince Nowak

Re: The Very Best of Kansas Wrestling #82145 03/01/06 05:41 AM
S
spartanmom Offline
S
Andy - I don't even know you, but I was sitting in the section in front of STA Saturday. I had tears in my eyes at the end of your match and could only imagine how proud your parents must feel.My son made it to state this year for the first time and that was something for me to be pruod of.I have never experienced such emotional highs and lows as I have during wrestling season.It is such a great sport.Congratulations I'm so happy for you and glad I could be part of the moment.

Re: The Very Best of Kansas Wrestling #82146 03/02/06 03:10 PM
Scott Fausset Offline
The Aquinas wrestling community has mentored another great contributor to our world. The 'team' ethic at STA is obvious.

Andy, we (Garret and I) noticed you a while ago. You were impressive then, and even more so now after meeting and talking with you.

Obviously, your performance on the mat speaks volumes. But I bet your parents are even prouder of who you ARE...very grounded and true...a good role model. Any bumps along the way added to your great character.

Congratulations on your state championship, and early congrats on your win at the Metro.

You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. -- Joseph Goldstein
Re: The Very Best of Kansas Wrestling #82147 03/05/06 09:06 PM
Bracket-man Offline
Congratulations, Andy!! I also echo Mr. Fausset' comments and wish you the best in the Metro Classic. We have known you for many years and are pleased to see you acquire your state championship! Well deserved and rightfully earned.

You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
Re: The Very Best of Kansas Wrestling #82148 03/08/06 05:10 AM
S
Shark16 Offline
S
Wow, Andy Hurla is one strong junebug! 5-3!

Re: The Very Best of Kansas Wrestling #82149 03/08/06 02:15 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Andy Hurla is the man! I wondered who is kicking like a junebug this morning????

Vince Nowak

Re: The Very Best of Kansas Wrestling #82150 03/08/06 05:01 PM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Job well done Andy. Way to represent and take care of business for KC and Kansas.
Congrats to all Kansas wrestlers and coaches sharing the victory.
And Congrats to the parents and thanks for the home training.

Re: The Very Best of Kansas Wrestling #82151 03/08/06 08:52 PM
B
bowen55 Offline
B
Andy it was great wrestling with you on team kansas and it will suck not wretling anymore. I just wanted to say thank you to all of the guys that believed in me and i wish you all the best of luck in the future. Now to the guys that didn't believe in me i wish you all would choke on your own seamen. I am a lot better then what i was given credit for and i think you know that. Team Kansas all the way, and congrat's to all of Team Kansas in the Metro Classic.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 160 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)