Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83141 03/09/06 06:57 AM
Nigel Isom Offline
Understandable Mike,

Its been my experience thats its pretty easy to tell when a coach is just saying something in the heat of passion, and when he is trying to be belligerent. There are a few coaches up in east Kansas that have rode me a few times, and I really didn't think anything about it because I knew they were just fighting for their wrestlers. And then there were the coaches who knew they were going to say the wrong thing, so I gave them a warning (only two this year).

I haven't ejected anyone this year, I'd like to think its because most of the calls I've made were good ones. But I let coaches know pretty much up front that certain topics are not up for discussion. The ones that are civil to me I explain to them that I'll give them a brief explanation of what happened at the table, and if they want a more detailed description to see me after the match. I try to be as civil with a coach as they are with me. I really appreciate when a coach has a cool head comming to the table.

By all means if you want to vent your frustrations about someone go ahead, but please keep in mind that a few missed calls doesn't make a poor official, and neither does one that follows the rules by the letter.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83142 03/09/06 08:30 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Church Sr.:
Nigel, I have never seen you officiate and hope to some day. I can tell by your post you at least know whats up. Do yourself a favor and just be fair thats all anyone ask. I agree that some bashing takes place but there is such a thing as coach bashing as well. I know alot of refs, listened to their views and have both agreed and disagreed. My point here would be is not just myself but others as well,is it seems like some officials and I meen some that have been around maybe to long are just getting thinner skinned than use to be. Hey I don't envy the job and know its hard, but please don't expect spectators or coaches to be there and pretend like they are in sunday church. That isnt the nature of the sport. People are going to holler, blood vessles are going to pop out on coaches. Do your job but when you hear ohhhh give me a break wheres the back points, don't take it personal its going to happen. Trying to control everything outside the circle is a big big mistake and not good for the sport. I know first hand that there are plenty of cry babies out there, but also there is alot of legit complaining taking place as well.

Wish you well
MIke Church Sr.
Mike,

I have seen Nigel referee, and he is one of the best younger referees out there and does a phenomenal job.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83143 03/09/06 08:44 AM
Future Wrestlin Mom Offline
Not using the officials as an "escapegoat" but were u there at the metro classic to witness some of the calls?

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83144 03/09/06 08:45 AM
That was to Nigel

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83145 03/09/06 03:12 PM
S
Shine_Daddy Offline
S
escapegoat?

:rolleyes:

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83146 03/09/06 05:20 PM
W
W. Heights AD Offline
W
Oh dad, are you having fun with Nigel again! I can guarantee you are sitting behind your $25,000 laptop..haha! laughing and grinning at all replies you get...

About officials... here is my thoughts.
for the most part.. they are fair
for the most part.. they have good judgement
for the most part.. they are very thin-skinned
for the most part.. they do it for love of
the sport.
for the most part.. they are underpaid
for the most part.. they are underappreciated

however... a good official is an official that realizes the wrestlers are the show, not them.
however... a good official is almost invisible and if not talked about... did a very good job.

We do need to get rid of that stupid rule of if a coach talks to a ref it's a warning! Clarification or not... it's a dumb rule.. If a coach feels the need to argue... then it should be fine.

I umpire college baseball and have taken unbelievable butt chewings. If I would have been talked to like that on the streets it would have been a fight. Even when I know I was right and the coach is just defending his kids. However, its part of the game. coaches and officials will argue. Wrestling officials carry a sense of "you can't talk to me like that" mentality and warn too fast. If its happening over and over.. I can see a ref warning... but a valid arguement should not be warned.

just a thought.

Coach Church

"Well spoken words have great value, but hard work has it's own rewards"
Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83147 03/09/06 07:32 PM
J
Jim Gaither Offline
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Sweazy:
Sounds like Mudflap
Yep, I thought that sounded an awful lot like Kentucky Mudflap myself.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83148 03/09/06 11:31 PM
Nigel Isom Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by mchurchJR.:
We do need to get rid of that stupid rule of if a coach talks to a ref it's a warning! Clarification or not... it's a dumb rule.. If a coach feels the need to argue... then it should be fine.
Yeah thats not going to happen, and thank goodness for that. We gotta have something to keep the coaches out of control, otherwise they would be up at the coaches table every single call and we'd never get through a match.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83149 03/10/06 02:39 AM
M
mikechurch Offline
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel Isom:
Quote:
Yeah thats not going to happen, and thank goodness for that. We gotta have something to keep the coaches out of control, otherwise they would be up at the coaches table every single call and we'd never get through a match.
Now Nigel... it was up for vote at our regional meeting! So it's possible. Nigel, I'm not saying it's o.k. to go up there every call made. That can get ridiculous and most coaches wont do that. Only a select few. But there have been sometimes where an athlete needed to be defended and when I go up to ask I get that oh so nice "There's your warning coach". Even when I was just asking for clarification so I can tell my wrestler what he needs or does not need to do! Remember, this sport if for wrestlers... not for officials!

Nigel, I wished you would work your way towards the middle of Kansas so we could see you work. I don't know you personally, but I have seen you wrestle. I want to see you behind the whistle. I applaud any young talent out there in the officiating world. We need you bad! You need to all get together and build and association to help you get your pay increased and get what your worth. Good luck! See you at the table!!!!!!!!! hahaha!

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83150 03/10/06 07:21 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by mikechurch:
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel Isom:
Quote:
Now Nigel... it was up for vote at our regional meeting! So it's possible. Nigel, I'm not saying it's o.k. to go up there every call made. That can get ridiculous and most coaches wont do that. Only a select few. But there have been sometimes where an athlete needed to be defended and when I go up to ask I get that oh so nice "There's your warning coach". Even when I was just asking for clarification so I can tell my wrestler what he needs or does not need to do! Remember, this sport if for wrestlers... not for officials!

Nigel, I wished you would work your way towards the middle of Kansas so we could see you work. I don't know you personally, but I have seen you wrestle. I want to see you behind the whistle. I applaud any young talent out there in the officiating world. We need you bad! You need to all get together and build and association to help you get your pay increased and get what your worth. Good luck! See you at the table!!!!!!!!! hahaha!
Nigel works Topeka to Hays and down to Wichita...he hits all stops!

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83151 03/10/06 07:29 AM
Nigel Isom Offline
I've been to hays once about 3 years ago, thats really too far of a drive for me. I get down to the Wichita area about 1 a year. But if anyone down their wants to see me officiate just offer me a varisty tournament and I'll come, that is if I don't already have something set which I generally do before the start of the season.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83152 03/11/06 03:42 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Just a little note to all of you that want to make an excuse for Missouri that Kansas goes to fort scott and topeka for kids. That is old news. Even with the fifty mile deal there are still 33 more Missouri wrestling schools eligible for this meet than there are Kansas Schools. If we went far enough to equalize the numbers of wrestlers possible for this meet Kansas would have to go to Manhatten to find that number of wrestling schools. We make no excuses when we get beat by Missouri and they have had kids from Knob Noster and Cameron so hey what is the beef anyway. It is a great match and we try to make it entertaining by going far enough to make it somewhat equal. The Missouri coaches and wrestlers don't make any excuses and they never need to they are tremendous competitors but give it a rest you fans. Believe me we have researched it pretty hard and we aren't in the business of trying to cheat anyone. Follow the lead of your wrestlers and coaches and quit whining, they don't and they have been plenty successful in this match. Both teams are going to have their share of wins in this deal and it is a wonderful competition. Why not leave out the sour grapes and just enjoy it.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83153 03/11/06 01:50 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Coach Westfahl:

I was there and it was a great event. I would not get too concerned about anyone complaining now about how the metropolitan radius zones are defined for each State. It is just sour grapes at this point. It only makes sense to take it outside of immediate metro area so all weight brackets can be adequately filled each year with high State placers. There does have to be some consideration for the number of schools and population in drawing up the metro boundaries for each State. I believe Kansas has a little larger of a radius boundary due to this reason. All involved do a great job in bringing the Metro area an excellent event.

Some people have suggested there should be an all state Border War between Missouri and Kansas. All state schools would be eligible for this type of post season event. Has that type of all State competition between Missouri and Kansas ever been considered or planned for? Do you see it as possiblilty?

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83154 03/12/06 06:37 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
I don't see it as a possibility from our standpoint. It would be a great match but we never really want to get away from the local format in regards to this meet. Maybe some other match might make sense but this started with metro coaches and kids and as much as we can we want to keep that for their opportunity. Western Kansas kids of which I was once one a long time ago have their own opportunities to shine, this is kind of the KC areas way of doing something for its own. It kind of has its own flavor that we don't want to lose. Just my thoughts though, I sure don't speak for anyone or for the meet itself.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83155 03/12/06 11:27 AM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Thanks for your reply, Coach Westfahl. I agree with you. I would not want to lose the local Metro meet either. It is a very special event in the Metro. I hope we always have the Metro Wrestling Classic.

I was thinking an additional one that was open to all the schools of both Missouri and Kansas would be neat too.

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83156 03/12/06 11:44 AM
Why not have one for wester kansas, a kansas v. colorado, or a norther with kansas v. nebraska? I know that down south they go to a oklahoma-kan tournament. I think it would be fun to see how the rest of Kansas stands up again our fellow neighbors. I myself went to the Metro classic and loved the excitement. It was fun to see how our wrestlers did against another state. Just an idea or a thought from a wrestling fan.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83157 03/12/06 01:32 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Brute is open to all schools an is in Omaha this year. It is not the dual atmosphere. If any one gets a chance - the national cadet duals are in Kansas City. The national junior duals are in Oklahoma City or Stilwater this year. It is freestyle/greco state to state duals. Schoolboy duals are in Indianapolis same thing. Good wrestling - go watch the one in Kansas City if you do not want to travel.

Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83158 03/12/06 03:42 PM
Bracket-man Offline
One of the great values in having post-season competition against other states, is the Senior wrestlers get more exposure to college coaches and their programs. At the Metro Classic, there were several college coaches who came by the group that I was sitting with asking various questions about different kids (grades, character traits, family support structure, etc.). Having more of these events can only give our kids more potential exposure to the next level and beyond.

You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83159 03/12/06 04:18 PM
usawks1 Offline
... and one of the coaches that I noticed, was our newest one! Head Coach Jordan Nichols was in attendance.

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: 27-25 Kansas Upsets Missouri #83160 03/12/06 04:21 PM
Bracket-man Offline
Brother Randy: Missed you again at the Classic, are we ever going to meet? Are you going to go to OKC for the NCAA's? If so, I will make every effort to try and find you. You must have been very proud of Mr. Bowen the other night...good stuff!

You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 145 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)