Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Help Newman University [Re: NewmanUhelp] #129829 07/05/08 02:05 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Newman University Wrestling Undergoes Change in Coaching Staff

Director, Communications
Phone: 316-942-4291, ext. 2164
Written by Ken Arnold

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 2, 2008

Ryan Smith Replaces Mark Stovall as Head Coach

Newman University Wrestling Undergoes Change in Coaching Staff
Wichita, Kan. – Newman University officials announced today that Head Wrestling Coach Mark Stovall has resigned to take a position with the Heartspring School in Wichita for special needs children. Newman Assistant Wrestling Coach Ryan Smith has been promoted to the head coaching position on a one-year interim basis. The change in coaching leadership is effective immediately.

“Mark has done an excellent job and has built a very successful wrestling program here at Newman, so naturally we are sorry to see him go,” said Newman Director of Athletics Randy Smith. “But, he has decided to pursue another area of interest, and we wish him the best in his new endeavor.”

“This opportunity was offered to me and I think it’s the direction I need to take in my life right now,” Stovall said. “I’m leaving with mixed emotions. I’ve learned a lot about college athletics at Newman University. I want to thank everybody that helped me during the four years I was here. I will miss my athletes with all my heart, and I wish the best to them and all Newman student-athletes.”

Stovall earned a bachelor’s degree in education from Newman in 1997. Following a successful coaching career in Texas, Oklahoma and Wichita, he returned to Newman in 2004 to help launch the university’s wrestling program. During his tenure, 47 wrestlers qualified for national tournaments and 14 gained All-American status. Newman also produced two national champions, Curtis Chenoweth in 2006 and Josh Fansler in 2008, and secured a runner-up finish at this year’s National Collegiate Wrestling Association (NCWA) National Championships.

Randy Smith said Ryan Smith (the two are not related) was offered the top coaching position because of his experience with Newman wrestling and the overall success of the program.

“If you’re happy with the direction of the program you promote from within instead of going outside,” Randy Smith said. “We’re very happy with the program and the condition Mark is leaving it in, and I am impressed with Ryan’s passion for Newman wrestling and his commitment to the program. I think it’s a great opportunity for him and that he’ll do an outstanding job next year.”

Ryan Smith said he opted to accept the position on a one-year interim basis then return to his assistant coach role because he plans to pursue a long-term career in business. Smith earned a bachelor’s degree in business management from Newman in 2005, and a master’s of business administration (MBA) degree from Newman this spring. He works for C.E. Machine in Wichita as a program manager. Before coming to Newman he wrestled for Labette Community College, from which he graduated in 2003 with associate degrees in accounting and business administration. After one year at Dakota Wesleyan University in Mitchell, S.D., he returned to Newman for his final season of collegiate wrestling when the Newman program began. He has worked part-time as assistant wrestling coach at Newman since graduating in 2005.

“We’re going to keep moving in the same direction the program has been going,” he said. “I’ve been with the program since it started, both as a wrestler and as a coach, and I’ve learned a lot from working with Mark. He has a great love for the sport. I look forward to the guys who are returning from last season, and I hope we can fill some empty spots in the next six weeks to build a team that wants to work and be successful.”

Newman University is a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), Division II. Newman is the only private university in the state of Kansas that is a member of the NCAA. Newman teams compete in the Heartland Conference, an NCAA Division II conference founded in 1999 that currently consists of nine schools: six from Texas, and one each from Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma. Newman fields NCAA intercollegiate teams in both men’s and women’s basketball, cross country, golf, soccer and tennis, as well as baseball, softball and women’s volleyball. Newman also offers men’s wrestling, which competes as an NCAA independent, and men’s and women’s bowling, which compete in intercollegiate conferences.

Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 (Archive on Thursday, July 02, 2009)

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Newman Wrestling [Re: Curtis Chenoweth] #130343 07/24/08 11:27 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Full NCAA DII Membership Awarded!

Lindsay Schneider - 7/24/2008

Director, Communications
Phone: 316-942-4291, ext. 2164

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

July 24, 2008

Newman University Awarded Full NCAA DII Membership

Wichita, Kan. – Newman University officials announced today that the institution has been removed from its provisional status and will be a full member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) at the Division II level. The move is effective Sept. 1, 2008 and will apply to all Newman NCAA intercollegiate competition beginning in the 2008-2009 academic year.

Newman is part of the Heartland Conference, an NCAA Division II conference founded in 1999 that currently consists of nine schools: six from Texas, and one each from Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma.

“This is certainly wonderful news for Newman and a testament to the quality of our athletics program,” said Newman President Noreen M. Carrocci, Ph.D. “I congratulate our athletics administrators and all our coaches, student-athletes, faculty and staff members for achieving this milestone.”

“It’s a major milestone in the history of Newman athletics and it’s a reflection of the dedication and commitment of our institution,” said Newman Director of Athletics Randy Smith. “Campus wide, we should feel proud that after conducting a thorough evaluation of Newman University and our athletic program, the NCAA has voted to elevate us to active Division II membership. I am elated for President Carrocci, the Athletics Department, and other members of the Newman family who have worked so hard to make this happen.”

The announcement was made by NCAA Membership Services Staff Liaison Jess Rigler, following the formal approval by the NCAA Management Council July 22 of a recommendation to award Newman active membership by the NCAA Membership Committee. Newman was one of 12 institutions moved from provisional to active membership status based on a review of annual reports from 20 institutions progressing through the NCAA membership process. Two other universities in the Heartland Conference, Texas A&M International University and the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, were also granted active membership.

Smith added that while in most instances the NCAA Membership Committee includes program suggestions or recommendations to new member institutions, Newman received none.

Newman was admitted to the NCAA on a provisional basis on July 11, 2006, with a transition process beginning in the 2006-2007 academic year. The entire transition process takes up to four years and includes orientation and training for faculty, staff, and administrators. Newman completed its process in only two years, and is now eligible for all postseason games and tournaments by the NCAA. For the past two athletic seasons, the Jets have been able to play against other NCAA Division II opponents, but have not been able to participate in any postseason tournaments.

Prior to being accepted into the NCAA, Newman had been a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the Midlands Collegiate Athletic Association (MCAC).

Newman officials said the move to NCAA will offer substantial benefits. The NCAA has stronger eligibility guidelines and promotes greater involvement of faculty in athletics at its member schools. The NCAA also provides Division II training and programming in areas such as compliance, rules education, professional development and student-athlete leadership, which typically translate into graduation rates that are much higher than at other schools. Newman’s NCAA Division II status will also increase the university’s visibility on a regional and national scale. National television networks such as CBS, CSTV, ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU currently cover 10 Division II men’s and women’s national championships and playoffs. The NCAA also allows junior varsity programs, which increase opportunities for student-athletes and scholarships to attract quality participants.

“It’s a great day for Newman University,” said Head Men’s Basketball Coach Mark Potter. “When we made the move and knew it was going to be several years before we could participate in postseason play, it was a little difficult to swallow. When you’re recruiting and have to tell students there’s no postseason that’s a big factor. But at the same time I knew it was best for Newman University in the long run. This legitimizes our program and everything we do, and will be good for the university overall.”

Newman is the only private university in the state of Kansas that is a member of the NCAA. The university fields NCAA intercollegiate teams in both men’s and women’s basketball, cross country, golf, soccer and tennis, as well as baseball, softball and women’s volleyball. Newman also offers men’s wrestling, which competes as an NCAA independent, and men’s and women’s bowling, which compete in intercollegiate conferences.

Richard D. Salyer
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 159 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)