Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach #130260 07/23/08 07:10 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Baker University has hired Jimmy May as the first head coach for its new wrestling program. (7/24/08)

See Breaking News on Front Page

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: smokeycabin] #130277 07/23/08 10:00 PM
C
Captain Offline
C
Coach May is an absolute Legend in Nevada sports history and West Coast wrestling. He had the nation's fourth-winningest program (317-20-2, .941) during his tenure, and they were a well travel program.

Baker Wrestling will no doubt be coming up the ranks very soon.

I am excited!

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Captain] #130283 07/24/08 12:47 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
I for one think this is a real bad deal. There can't be more than twenty or thirty qualified Kansas guys that would have been great choices for this position, but gosh we they had to go all the way to Nevada to find a guy. Hey good luck recruiting those Nevada kids to Baker. Nevada has long been known for their phenominal wrestling. I have my tongue planted firmly in my cheek.

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130286 07/24/08 01:54 AM
C
Captain Offline
C
The search was national and conducted thoroughly over several months. There were several qualified candidates from Kansas, and the surrounding states. Baker went after and got a proven winner…

As for your disdain, are you implying that Coach May will not be able to recruit Kansas wrestlers, or those wrestlers who come from the West Coast (Oregon, California, Arizona, etc.), or the greater United States for that matter? He has been imbedded in the sport for over thirty years, and has deep roots in many of the wrestling states. Moreover, does the name Matt Azevedo ring a bell? Let me remind you that he won the US Nationals this past year. He is a product of the Eldorado Wrestling (Las Vegas) program that was headed by Coach May.

With all of that said, you are right. Kansas is hot bed for wrestling. The passion on the forum is a testimony to it. If Coach May was successful in the desert lets see what he can do in the fields of Kansas.

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Captain] #130287 07/24/08 01:58 AM
T
tbau Offline
T
I think Eric Akin would of been the best choice for the job. A Kansan that would have built a powerhouse program. I just hate to see these jobs go to out of staters when we have great coaches here that wanted the job.

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: tbau] #130288 07/24/08 02:27 AM
I
ike Offline
I
New blood is never a bad thing to mix in. I don't follow high school wrestling that closely and I know of Eldorado in Nevada. I think based on his resume he looks like a solid hire. Let's see what he can do. Best of luck to Coach May and the new Baker Wrestling team.

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: ike] #130310 07/24/08 04:12 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Captain you really don't have to remind me of anything. I coached in this state for 30 years and saw Azevedo when he was a kid wrestler so I don't really need a history lesson from you. I also don't need you to tell me whether or not we are a hotbed of wrestling. I know we have a boat load of NCAA wrestlers from Kansas over the years and a bunch of NCAA champs from this state and aside from your man Azevedo, the Nevada list is running very short. I have watched so many "national" searches conducted by college administrators that I can't see straight. All those boys are down the road right now and all those programs are gone. If I need a history lesson, I will ask someone who has been around longer than I have to give me one if it is all the same to you. By the way that is my real name on there I don't need an alias.

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130314 07/24/08 04:25 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
I didn't imply anything. I just think if colleges are going to go a continent away to get there coaches then maybe they ought to go there to get their athletes. Evidently the quality here isn't up to their standards. We have three NCAA All-Americans who have just retired from wrestling. They will all land assistant jobs at major universities. Might have been one of those kids. Heck one of them even has a win over Azevedo. Go figure. His high school coach would have been a good choice too by the way and he's from South Dakota, but at least he has done his job here. Don't know about all that legend crap though, we don't elect many to that legendary status.

Last edited by Westfahl; 07/24/08 04:35 PM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130333 07/24/08 09:27 PM
C
Captain Offline
C
Sorry, to rattle your cage. My only point was that Coach May is a great coach who brings to Baker the ‘coaching’ experience necessary to build a winning program from scratch, literally. There are a multitude of hats that one must wear, besides the one from Kansas. Ok, he is not from Kansas, granted. But since you have been coaching in the sport for over 30 years, I don’t think that you can disagree, he has won, and won a lot while at the same time changing young people’s lives. As you already know, Azevedo was not even in the top 25 of kids to come out of Eldorado, he just had the fortitude to get out of Vegas, unlike most, to see his wrestling dreams to fruition! Respect

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Captain] #130344 07/25/08 12:25 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
OPPORTUNITY - I am just glad the young wrestlers have another opportunity in the Kansas City area. Just as I felt with Newman (Now NCAA DII status) was a great addition near Wichita and for the State of Kansas. Don't get me going on the administration at KU, K-State, and Wichita State.

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: smokeycabin] #130349 07/25/08 02:44 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Captain,

Your points are well taken. Most of us had hoped for one of our local legends to land that job, but as smokey stated, we are glad to have another opportunity in the Metro area. I know that I'm not alone in welcoming Coach May to Kansas. He has built a wealth of respect nationally and we are thankful to land a quality coach. I look forward to meeting him and will support his efforts!

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Chief Renegade] #130351 07/25/08 10:44 AM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
I have to admit I had a Kansas favorite for the position. I was very disappointed when I found out last week that he wasn't going to get the position. I believe he would have been a solid pick too. I also agree that there were other quality Kansas wrestling people who would have been good choices. The disappointment that many of us feel is understandable. That being said, Dan Harris had an obligation to make a national search for the position. The Baker University wrestling program will be competing nationally and it was necessary for Mr. Harris to look nationally for its coach.

I am sure that Mr. Harris gave serious consideration to Kansas candidates for the position. In the final analysis though, he had to pick the candidate who he felt would be best for the position. Jimmy May has an incredible high school coaching resume. It reminds me of the success that Mr. Van Rose the SM Northwest cross country coach has achieved over a long period of time. Obviously Jimmy May knows how to build a successful long term program. Baker University is very fortunate to hire a coach of Mr. May's caliber. I am sure Mr. May will understand some of our initial disappointment that a local favorite was not picked. But I believe he will become a welcomed new member of the Kansas wrestling community. I also think he will be driven to make Baker annually one of the top programs nationally in the NAIA just like he did with his high school in Nevada. Mr. May, I welcome you to the Kansas wrestling community and you will have my support.

I agree with Sean and Eric that this is a great opportunity for the Kansas wrestling community and especially for the Northeast Kansas wrestling community. I am personally excited that we will have the opportunity to have college wrestling nearby. A lot of Kansas wrestlers will one day wrestle for Baker University. I want to thank Dan Harris for all his hard work and support in bringing wrestling to Baker University and another college program to Kansas.

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: smokeycabin] #130385 07/25/08 06:04 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
You guys are better politicians than I am. One of these days people in this state have got to start standing up for some of their favorite sons. Iowa does, Pennsylvania does, Oklahoma does. They do those "national" searches too and then they hire a guy from their state and then they keep their talent at home. There are about nine thousand guys with this guys resume in this country. I for one don't care a lick about any of them. I am a Kansas guy and I am done appologizing for Kansas wrestling. It's good and we can keep our good people from having to get into other professions. It is about time we quit giving the benefit of the doubt to people who know nothing about wrestling for hiring "legends" from 1100 miles away. I will tell you what we know for sure about any of those coaches in Nevada or wherever...... nothing.

Last edited by Westfahl; 07/25/08 06:07 PM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130396 07/25/08 06:38 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Westfahl
You guys are better politicians than I am. One of these days people in this state have got to start standing up for some of their favorite sons. Iowa does, Pennsylvania does, Oklahoma does. They do those "national" searches too and then they hire a guy from their state and then they keep their talent at home. There are about nine thousand guys with this guys resume in this country. I for one don't care a lick about any of them. I am a Kansas guy and I am done appologizing for Kansas wrestling. It's good and we can keep our good people from having to get into other professions. It is about time we quit giving the benefit of the doubt to people who know nothing about wrestling for hiring "legends" from 1100 miles away. I will tell you what we know for sure about any of those coaches in Nevada or wherever...... nothing.

Welcoming a newly hired coach to our state is not standing up for our favorite sons? There are 9000 guys that have a 317-20-2 record as a coach? That's 180 per state. Does that mean that we won't see you at any of the Baker duals?

Eric Johnson

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130402 07/25/08 09:16 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Coach Westfahl,

I understand where you are coming from. I think it would have been great for a Kansas favorite son to have got the job. Like I said I had a favorite and he is a Kansas native. I think he would have been very good too. I had a few others in mind and they were all from Kansas too.

I had never heard of Coach Jimmy May and that is because I really do not follow that closely high school wrestling outside of Kansas and maybe the Kansas City Missouri area. But you know I had never heard of Coach Bob Devaney who was hired as the football coach of my beloved Nebraska Cornhuskers for the 1962 season. He had coached the Wyoming football team the previous five years and had compiled a 35-10-5 record, a .750 winning percentage. I was only 11 years old but I had been raised on Nebraska football and I did not know who this Devaney character was or how you could jump from Wyoming's coach to Nebraska's coach. He was an unknown but he coached Nebraska football for the next 11 years and compiled an incredible 101-20-2 record a .829 winning percentage. He took Nebraska to nine bowls, 7 Big championships plus one year as co-champion. Nebraska was also national champion in two of those years. He also groomed a native Nebraska assistant coach Tom Osborne who followed him and compiled an even better record. Believe me at the end of Devaney's tour, the good fans of Nebraska football did not care that Devaney came from the Wyoming football program. And they won't be at all upset if Bo Pellini ends up resurrecting Nebraska football to the level that Devaney did.

Now I am not saying that Jimmy May is going to do exactly what Devaney did but he might end up having college coaching success similar to what he has achieved at the high school level in Nevada. Just think how important that would be to the long term success of the Baker University wrestling program, if he could achieve that. Maybe at the end of that successful run Coach May will hand off a well established NAIA powerhouse wrestling program to a native Kansas assistant like Devaney did to Osborne back in 1973.

I would bet it was the goal of Dan Harris to build an annual NAIA national wrestling power at Baker University. I think he hired Jimmy May with that thought in mind. It will be a wonderful thing for Kansas wrestling if it happens.

Vince Nowak

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Husker Fan] #130427 07/26/08 05:23 PM
A
Akin Wrestling Offline
A
This is an excellent hire. One of the best coaches in America. I first learned who he was my senior year in hs when one of his students became Nevada’s first Jr. National champion ever. . Alcarez ‘89.

His program, referred to as “The Dynasty in the Desert,” won 8 straight state titles, and one year boasted 10 champs. Dual record: 317-20!!

As an assistant at Nebraska I had the opportunity to recruit and coach one of his athletes. In Real Pro and USA team trials I competed against another of his life-long students (Azevedo). Everyone I’ve ever met who wrestled for him or coached with him thinks he walks on water.

Another great opportunity for Kansas wrestlers. I’m very excited for Baker and all the Kansas boys this will be awesome for.

I also appreciate all the confidence my Kansas loyal fans have in me, but Baker made a great choice and hired the best applicant for the job. No doubt Coach May is for real.

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130428 07/26/08 06:21 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
There are about nine thousand guys with this guys resume in this country. I for one don't care a lick about any of them. I will tell you what we know for sure about any of those coaches in Nevada or wherever...... nothing.

After Akin's endorsement, I wonder if Westfahl will respond?

Eric Johnson

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Chief Renegade] #130430 07/27/08 11:46 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
LOLLL Next time you see Eric (and I know you are reading this) ask him if you think anything he or anyone else ever said to me changed my mind. I know he is laughing at the thought of that. No it does nothing to change my mind in any way. I am 100% loyal to Kansas Kids and Kansas coaches. Akin and I have been friends for a long time. He would be dissapointed with me if I backtracked just because he had a post. It is funny to even think about. I am not making any reference to whatever the guys name is. I am speaking in total support of the many Kansas wrestling and football coaches who have been totally overlooked by Kansas colleges for many many years. No! I stand behind each and every word I wrote and I don't care if Dan Gable didn't like it. Heck especially Dan Gable when I think about it.

Last edited by Westfahl; 07/28/08 12:15 AM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130431 07/27/08 11:48 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
By the way did they give Wayne Jackson's ten year run in Kansas some cute name. If they did, I didn't hear about it. See, we just don't crown legends around here. Maybe we should. We can beat anybody and we can coach with anybody. Akin knows that and I know that. We don't have to prove that to anyone now. For crying out loud don't equate some high school coach who is now coaching at Baker in Baldwin with Bob Devaney. I don't think I can wrap myself around that one.

Heck while I am on this rant I might as well go all in. Not many of those Kansas Kids are going to be able to afford to go to Baker anyway. What this is going to do is put a few kids in the seats at Baldwin and pour some big money into their coffers. (In the 20 grand a year area) I will get really excited when one of our state schools, maybe Emporia or Pittsburg get smart and add wrestling. Then maybe some of our kids can afford to go there. Those books and tuition deals at Baker won't go to far for some of these kids around here. Well maybe the rich ones will profit but that is ok I guess. I think it is basically irrelevant. When an affordable school gets it I will be really excited unless they hire another out of state "legend". Then I will be (and no one will care) perturbed again.

Last edited by Westfahl; 07/28/08 12:22 AM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130432 07/28/08 12:33 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
ask him if you think anything he or anyone else ever said to me changed my mind.

Now coach..... You've "never" changed your mind?

Wayne Jackson was also given a "legend" status...

http://www.arkcity.net/stories/120105/spo_0001.shtml

Eric Johnson

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Chief Renegade] #130433 07/28/08 03:02 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Well if you guys must adore coaches then go ahead and bestow all those terms to them. Wayne sure never ask to be one though and if that is all you got out of my post then you missed the point altogether. Hopefully there is a state out there that has some people in it that think Kansas guys are worthy because I don't think you guys think that. I have been a part of trying to get after Missouri for years but I will tell you what Missouri has that we don't. They believe in themselves. We believe in everyone else and keep looking for legends to worship at the feet of. To heck with that. It will be interesting to see how many Kansas kids benefit from all of this. My guess is they will still have to go to Nebraska, Oklahoma, Iowa, and Missouri to wrestle. People only think you are as good as you think you are and I just don't think most of our colleges think we are worth anything. We let them think that so they keep going out there and finding your legends for you.

Last edited by Westfahl; 07/28/08 03:06 AM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130435 07/28/08 12:09 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Coach Westfahl:

I was not saying that Coach Jimmy May is on par with Bob Devaney. But Bob Devaney was not always the Nebraska legend. He got his start somewhere. He proved he could run a successful program at Wyoming before coming to Nebraska. I would not be surprised if the Wyoming fans questioned his hire at Wyoming in 1957. Wyoming did not compete against teams on the field or in recruiting like Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Colorado, Kansas, Iowas State and Kansas State so Devaney was an unknown at the Big 8 level of coaching when he came into the league in 1962 just as Jimmy May will be at the collegiate level at Baker University. Like Devaney, Coach May has proven that he can run a successful program over a long period of time. It is an unknown at this point whether he will be able to run a successful NAIA program. I think his high school record though shows he has a good chance to do that.

There was another topic that talked about the financial situation for students at Baker Universtiy. Kit Harris had a very good post in it that explained all the scholarship and aid opportunities available at Baker University. Have you read Kit's post on it? Coach I bet that there are a lot of Baker University athletes over the years and currently who are not from real wealthy families.

I admire your loyalty to the Kansas coaches and athletes. We all wish for more opportunities for the coaches and athletes in Kansas. What we really need as you pointed out is more Kansas colleges and universities stepping up and starting programs like Baker University has. What we need now is for us to show appreciation and support to Baker University for starting this new wrestling program. And we also need to show good Kansas hospitality by welcoming Coach Jimmy May as a new contributing member to the Kansas wrestling community.

Vince Nowak

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130436 07/28/08 01:53 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Well if you guys must adore coaches then go ahead and bestow all those terms to them. Wayne sure never ask to be one though and if that is all you got out of my post then you missed the point altogether. Hopefully there is a state out there that has some people in it that think Kansas guys are worthy because I don't think you guys think that.

Randy,

That link was a comment by a journalist. Just as Wayne never asked for it, I'm sure that Coach May never did either. I really can't see how our posts that welcomed a quality hire at Baker led you to believe that any of us don't think Kansas coaches are worthy. As many of us have stated, through the whole process we had wanted a Kansas hire. You have made your position clear that you will not support Coach May's efforts at Baker. I would hope that you do not also deny your support of our Kansas kids that choose to wrestle there!

Eric Johnson

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Chief Renegade] #130437 07/28/08 02:20 PM
C
Captain Offline
C
I found this on Wiki(it mentions Alcarez):

Eldorado High School's athletic activities have not been highly successful; yet its wrestling program, headed by Jimmy May, was ranked 12th as the High School Scholastic Dynasty Teams of the Last Decade (USA Wrestling, 2001). Known as the “Dynasty in the Desert”, the Sundevil wrestling program captured over a dozen state wrestling championships in the 1980s and 1990s, including eight state championships in a row between 1986 and 1993. Producing numerous individual state wrestling champions, among them was Cary Dreitzler, a 1986 grad who won a state championship in his weight class in all four years, one of only two wrestlers at Eldorado to accomplish this feat. The other being Gary "Tiny" Scrivens in the late 70's/early 80's. The program also produced a phalanx of All-Americans, and two National Champions. Alfonso "Alfie" Alcaraz, as a junior, won the 1989 Junior Nationals and was named to the 1990 All-American Dream Team, and Matt Azevedo won the 2008 US Nationals.

Coach May, ranked by the Las Vegas Review Journal as the 6th All-Time Coach in Nevada sports history, left Eldorado with an enduring legacy. Four of his Sundevil teams were nationally ranked, and he had the nation's fourth-winningest program (317-20-2, .941) during his run which was punctuated by his son, Danny May, winning the last individual state championship for Eldorado High School (1996), his second. Eldorado also holds the Nevada record for most individual state wrestling champions in a single season with 7.

Commemorated in 1996, the Eldorado wrestling room, located adjacent to the northern end of the Sportatorium, was named in the honor of Coach May which houses the “Wall of Fame” with the names of over 60 state champions.

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Captain] #130438 07/28/08 02:44 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
None of this matters to me men, and it has nothing to do with Jimmy May. It is irrelevant in every way to me that whoever he is, he is accomplished. Good for him, lots of people are. It is also highly irrelevant if I like it or not. I am totally unimportant and whether or not I "support" him or not is so unimportant that it defies explanation. I am just a man with an opinion. I will support him and Baker to the exact same degree they have supported Kansas wrestlers and coaches and it will make exactly the same amount of difference. None. The point is these jobs are precious few. They will not come along often and if everytime they do, the grass is greener in Nevada, or Oklahoma, or some other planet, then none of these young former NCAA placers and champions will ever ply their trade in this state. The end result of that will be that the out of staters that are hired will go to the areas they know best to recruit and fellas that ain't here. I am not a cheerleader for college programs, I am a life long Kansas wrestler and coach and it bothers me that this just keeps happening over and over again. This is my last thought on this deal and I don't delude myself into thinking what I think is important or matters it is simply what I think. I am not alone.

By the way I coached in that league for six years and in NAIA for eight and I am very well aware of the enourmous cost of private education. I sold that for a while and it is tough.

Last edited by Westfahl; 07/28/08 02:57 PM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130439 07/28/08 03:01 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Nuff said. We overkilled that subject! sick

Last edited by Chief Renegade; 07/28/08 03:04 PM.

Eric Johnson

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Chief Renegade] #130440 07/28/08 03:06 PM
C
Captain Offline
C
Which local Kansas wrestlers should Baker U. go after?

Any ideas for the 2009 season?

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Captain] #130444 07/28/08 09:18 PM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
Westfahl, I understand exactly what you're saying about it being disappointing that one of our Kansas guys didn't get the job at Baker. However, Baker is the only program I can even think of right now that doesn't have a head coach with Kansas roots so to say it's a whole state thing is a bit of a stretch.

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Curtis Chenoweth] #130447 07/28/08 10:49 PM
usawks1 Offline
... and to play devils advocate ... maybe we need fresh ideas!

Now, before I get roasted for that statement I do believe we (Kansas) had someone that could have filled that position! However, I think perhaps we have fewer coaches eligible than we might think!! A few of our qualified coaches are currently in programs and may not have been willing to make the move.

To start a new program, administer that program, recruit, fund-raise, comply with all the rules and regulations, etc. etc. etc. and then on top of that be a wrestling coach ... that is a unique individual!

I have full confidence in the administration of Baker! I am confident they do want a program to succeed at the highest level ... and they are making decisions with that in mind!

Last edited by usawks1; 07/28/08 10:50 PM.

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Captain] #130488 07/31/08 09:40 AM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Captain
Which local Kansas wrestlers should Baker U. go after?

Any ideas for the 2009 season?

In their first season, I would imagine that Coach May will recruit a mixture of this year's high school seniors and some junior college wrestlers. There may even be a few transfers from other four year college programs. Kansas has some very good junior college programs. You could go to the high school and freestyle forums to find a number of topics that talk about potential high school recruits from this upcoming year's senior class. I believe Baker University hired Coach May early in order to spend the first year recruiting for its inaugural season. He will need to network with the Kansas wrestling community especially the high school and junior college coaches. A good source should be right there in Baldwin in their high school coach Kit Harris. Besides coaches he will get good information from other wrestling community leaders like Eric Akin. He will also want to attend some of the bigger wrestling tournaments in Kansas especially this year. I will suggest some that I am familiar with that my son's team competes at in the Johnson County area and others can expand on that if they want: Eudora, Johnson County Classic, The Basehor-Linwood Bobcat Classic, Blue Valley Northwest Husky and of course regional and state tournaments.

Vince Nowak

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Husker Fan] #130489 07/31/08 10:34 AM
usawks1 Offline
Originally Posted By: Husker Fan
[quote=Captain]and of course regional and state tournaments.

... which regional and state!! :-)

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: usawks1] #130490 07/31/08 11:45 AM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
By that time Coach May and his staff should have a pretty good feel of prospects and they should know which ones they want to attend. The staff may need to split up scouting regionals and state tournaments.

My tournament suggestions are just local ones that I have familiarity with. Obviously there are many more across Kansas. I would think he would definitely want to attend the Bobcat. Another one that I did not mention is the post season Metro Classic. He will also see some Missouri wrestlers at it. Many of the wrestlers have already committed by the time of this tournament.

Vince Nowak

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Husker Fan] #130496 07/31/08 03:29 PM
Cokeley Offline
It sure would make it much easier if all the state tournaments were in one location! If I were him I would go to Wichita where you can at least catch 5A and 6A together.

If I were giving advice to Coach May I would tell him to drive right on past the Johnson County Classic on his way to the KCI tournament. That is THE BEST tournament, bar none, that Kansas High School teams can compete in.

Last edited by Cokeley; 07/31/08 03:33 PM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Cokeley] #130500 07/31/08 08:39 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
You never know when there will be an NCAA I, II, III NAIA or JOCO finalist or All-American from the Kansas side of the metro or national level kid. There have been a few kids from this area that have been above average at the college level and the high school level. Might even be able to go watch mutiple tournaments in the Kansas City area on the same day.

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: smokeycabin] #130502 07/31/08 09:54 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Smokey makes a good point though that it would be possible to watch portions of both on the same day. I doubt Coach May would want to pass up the opportunity to watch some of the Johnson County Classic since all of the Johnson County teams will be there and Johnson County schools would have to be a prime place for Baker to recruit this year and going forward. He should see potential recruits for the 2009 thru 2012 seasons at this tournament. Baker can probably attract some top quality wrestlers in the future from Johnson County since the proximity to Baldwin will give wrestling families incentive to send their wrestlers there.

I don't think Coach May would want to miss an opportunity to attend the KCI tournament that Will suggested either. That tournament does have a lot of top talent at it. It is a regional type tournament with teams from several states including a few from Kansas. No doubt there would be more from Kansas if it wasn't the same mid-December weekend as the Johnson County Classic. He might decide to attend the Johnson County tournament on Friday night and the KCI tournament on Saturday. He may want to spend more time that weekend at the KCI since he could see many of the same Johnson County wrestlers at the Bobcat later in January.

Will, I thought of you when I first read Randy's reply asking which regional or state should Coach May attend. You are correct it would definitely make it easier for Coach May and other college recruiters if all four classes 6A, 5A, 4A and 3-2-1A were all at the same location. Personally I am glad they are not but I know it would make it better for recruiters.

Vince Nowak

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Husker Fan] #130504 08/01/08 03:20 AM
W
WizardofOZ Offline
W
Dear coaches from Kansas - especially WESTFAHL - You should be psyched up out of your mind that this guy is coming to town. I write from experience. I have coached with this guy in the past. He is going to bring it. Westfahl, they did not hire a Kansas person for the job. Move on. Go to one of his coaching clinics and try to take in his philosophy about the sport. He will do everything possible to promote the sport the right way as well as do what is right by the aspiring college wrestlers that are still competing in Kansas high schools. He is the total package in that he knows how to inspire young people to compete at their highest levels, his technique is outstanding, and he is not afraid or too arrogant to continue learning. Kansas, you have just landed an awesome coach to start a program. This is the best thing to happen to your state since Dorothy found her way back home after being caught in a tornado while trying to find Toto.

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: WizardofOZ] #130507 08/01/08 06:32 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Wizard or whoever you are. I just checked back to see what was going on I thought we were done with this conversation but I see you are not. I am a little old to be "psyched" out of my mind over anything but gosh if he has you to vouch for him then who am I to rain on his parade. Really, that cinches it for me. Now that I know you think it just blesses us poor naive Kansans then I am just "pscyched" about it. I feel better already. Thank you for enlightening me, I needed that......really I did....

One last and final time, my opinion (I can have one) has nothing whatsoever to do with May....NOTHING. I am making a statement about hiring Kansas people. It has nothing to do with him in any way shape or form. It also has nothing to do with that Toto person you mentioned.

Last edited by Westfahl; 08/01/08 06:36 PM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130508 08/01/08 07:54 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have had several discussions with college coaches at all levels over the past several years and one of their biggest concerns is the APR a new NCAA academic guideline and measuring stick for the teams. I am not sure if those guidelines carry over to NAIA and Junior colleges. So all you guys and gals who read this your Grades are looked at much tougher than they were 20 to 25 years ago - when you just had to maintain a certain GPA. There are nearly 300 fewer D-I schools with wrestling since 1985 and I am pretty sure fewer wrestling programs all together on the college level. NAIA schools are one of the few organizations that seem to be reversing the trend by adding opportunities. Just an FYI.

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130509 08/01/08 08:36 PM
W
WizardofOZ Offline
W
[quote=Westfahl]Wizard or whoever you are. I just checked back to see what was going on I thought we were done with this conversation but I see you are not. I am a little old to be "psyched" out of my mind over anything but gosh if he has you to vouch for him then who am I to rain on his parade. Really, that cinches it for me. Now that I know you think it just blesses us poor naive Kansans then I am just "pscyched" about it. I feel better already. Thank you for enlightening me, I needed that......really I did....

YOUR WELCOME WESTFAHL

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: WizardofOZ] #130532 08/04/08 06:10 PM
Bobby Bovaird Offline
Just wanted to throw in my two cents on a couple of items mentioned here.

It seemed to me during my time at Baker, several of the new coaches that came in had been from outside of the state. I remember when the track and cross country coach left, he was replaced by a fellow from Australia. None of the soccer coaches were Kansas people at all, either. I was pulling for the Kansas guys who were finalists for the job, but the trend at the university is to not limit themselves based on geography. Baker has brought in so many fantastic coaches, athletes, and professors from all over the world and that really pushes the school forward.

Also, I read someone's comments about not many Kansas kids being able to afford to go to Baker... that seems to be to be quite a baseless comment. I'm the youngest of four children (each of whom attended and graduated from Baker) and I definitely did not come from an affluent silver-spoon background. In fact, my mother is a music / technology instructor at a Catholic school in Topeka. Each of my siblings and I learned the value of our time at Baker because we all took out student loans, but at the same time we all worked several jobs. At one point my senior year, I had a work-study job, a job at a local retail store, and was involved with coaching at Baldwin High School. I knew of many Kansas kids who experienced the same thing at Baker, and I know that those who persevered through this have been toughened beyond anyone else's expectations. I also knew several people, many are good friends of mine, who came from well-to-do backgrounds and I knew several students whose parents worked at Baker, thereby entitling them free tuition. The majority of students at Baker, at least while I was there from 1998-2002, were from Kansas, and not just from Johnson County, Shawnee County, or Douglas County.

Just something to think about. I'm incredibly excited that Baker has succeeded in adding wrestling as a sport, and I think that Dan Harris and Kit Harris each deserve tons of praise for their visions and their efforts. It's too bad that this program is about ten years too late. I used to wonder how my life would have changed if I had taken the college wrestling route instead of the college academician route. No doubt, the class of 2009 and on now has one more great opportunity for those who wish to pursue wrestling at the next level as well as to receive an outstanding education.

Gifted Teacher
Head Wrestling Coach, Louisburg High School
Director of Coaches Development, USAWKS
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Bobby Bovaird] #130534 08/04/08 07:23 PM
K
klintdeere Offline
K
great post coach

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Bobby Bovaird] #130536 08/04/08 09:27 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Robert Bovaird
Just wanted to throw in my two cents on a couple of items mentioned here.

It seemed to me during my time at Baker, several of the new coaches that came in had been from outside of the state. I remember when the track and cross country coach left, he was replaced by a fellow from Australia. None of the soccer coaches were Kansas people at all, either. I was pulling for the Kansas guys who were finalists for the job, but the trend at the university is to not limit themselves based on geography. Baker has brought in so many fantastic coaches, athletes, and professors from all over the world and that really pushes the school forward.

Also, I read someone's comments about not many Kansas kids being able to afford to go to Baker... that seems to be to be quite a baseless comment. I'm the youngest of four children (each of whom attended and graduated from Baker) and I definitely did not come from an affluent silver-spoon background. In fact, my mother is a music / technology instructor at a Catholic school in Topeka. Each of my siblings and I learned the value of our time at Baker because we all took out student loans, but at the same time we all worked several jobs. At one point my senior year, I had a work-study job, a job at a local retail store, and was involved with coaching at Baldwin High School. I knew of many Kansas kids who experienced the same thing at Baker, and I know that those who persevered through this have been toughened beyond anyone else's expectations. I also knew several people, many are good friends of mine, who came from well-to-do backgrounds and I knew several students whose parents worked at Baker, thereby entitling them free tuition. The majority of students at Baker, at least while I was there from 1998-2002, were from Kansas, and not just from Johnson County, Shawnee County, or Douglas County.

Just something to think about. I'm incredibly excited that Baker has succeeded in adding wrestling as a sport, and I think that Dan Harris and Kit Harris each deserve tons of praise for their visions and their efforts. It's too bad that this program is about ten years too late. I used to wonder how my life would have changed if I had taken the college wrestling route instead of the college academician route. No doubt, the class of 2009 and on now has one more great opportunity for those who wish to pursue wrestling at the next level as well as to receive an outstanding education.

I agree with Klint Deere. This was an excellent post. The class of 2009 and beyond are very fortunate to have this great opportunity that Baker University is presenting to them.

Vince Nowak

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Husker Fan] #130545 08/05/08 05:49 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Just so we are using facts here. This is what it costs to go to Baker this year. You can add all that up for yourselves. I think it is a great school don't get me wrong but lets not be naive about what it costs.

2008-2009 EDUCATIONAL COSTS
Year Per
Semester

TUITION
Full-time undergraduates ( 12 - 18 hours) $19,880.00 $9,940.00
Part-time undergraduates ( 1-11 hours) $600.00 per c/h
Overload (over 18 hours) $365.00 per c/h
Summer school $365.00 per c/h
Interterm session only $365.00 per c/h
High School Tuition $100.00 per c/h

ROOM
Irwin/Gessner Double Occupancy $2,950.00 $1,475.00
Irwin/Gessner Single Occupancy $4,300.00 $2,150.00
New Hall Double $3,800.00 $1,900.00
New Hall Single $4,500.00 $2,250.00
Apartments $4,700.00 $2,350.00
Apartments - summer $160.00 per week

BOARD
14 meal flex plan (14 meals per week plus $150 per semester on declining balance card) $3,420.00 $1,710.00
10 meal flex plan (10 meals per week plus $125 per semester on declining balance card) $3,250.00 $1,625.00
10 meal plan $3000.00 $1,500.00
Commuter Plan TBA

NEW STUDENTS
Confirmation deposit (collected from all new students) $100.00
Matriculation Fee (collected first semester of enrollment) $80.00

OTHER FEES
Graduation fee charged when senior status attained $75.00
Music private lesson fee - NONREFUNDABLE $180.00 per half hour lesson
Advanced Placement Fee $35.00
Returned check charge $25.00
Student ID card - replacement fee $15.00 each
Student teaching fee $15.00 per c/h
Transcript request $5.00 each
Instructional Fees $15 to $50/course

Options : Site Map View Archives

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130548 08/05/08 12:53 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Coach Westfahl:

Yes the costs can be high but so can be the scholarships and aid. We talked about this on another topic a few weeks ago but in light of your posts on this topic, I think it bears repeating.
Here is a link to their sample award letter for the current year.

http://www.bakeru.edu/index.php?module=articles&func=display&aid=453

Sample Award Letter for Current Academic Year
Cost of tuition, fees, room, and . . . . . meals for 2008-09. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $26,330

Kansas Comprehensive Grant for in-state . . . . . . . . . . Out-of State Grant for others:. . . . . . . . . . . $2,000*

Foundation Scholarship . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7,000

Academic Leadership Scholarship . . . . . . . .1,500

Talent Participation Award . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2,000

Outside Scholarship. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1,500

Federal Pell Grant. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 500**

Federal SEOG Grant . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .100***

Federal Perkins Loan . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1,500***

Federal Work Eligibility . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1,782

Fed. Subsidized Stafford Loan . . . . . . . . . . . 3,500

Fed. Unsubsidized Stafford Loan . . . . . . . . . 2,000

Total Aid = $23,382

Additional options available to cover balance due::

Interest-free payment plan

Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS Loan)

Private educational loan - credit-based

*Ranges from $200-3000 per year; need-based

**Ranges from $890-$4,731 for 2008-09; need based

***Need-based and amount depends on funds available

Vince Nowak

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Husker Fan] #130549 08/05/08 12:59 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Coach Westfahl:

This is an earlier post from Kit Harris on the subject:

Quote:
Parkwayred,

Thank you for supporting our efforts to add a collegiate wrestling opportunity in the state of Kansas, this has been many years of effort finally come to fruition.

As to your comments on the school's tuition, let's think logically about your statements. If it really cost that much money out of pocket for a student to attend school at Baker, don't you think their enrollment would be...zero? (or at least too small for the school to remain open). How many families could really afford that type of an annual fee for their child's college education?

The average financial aide package for a Baker University student is $18,000. That is an average, so many students earn more, while others might earn less. That package can be in a variety of formats (loans, grants, scholarships, etc.). But for most BU students, much of that is money they are not paying back as a loan after they graduate. In other words, for a large number of BU students, they are attending school for right about what they would be paying at an in-state public university. As I said before, what private school could exist if that was not the case.

Kansas is full of small private universities (Ottawa, MidAmerica Nazarene, Benedictine, Sterling, Kansas Wesleyan, Kansas Newman, Southwestern, Tabor, St. Mary's, Bethany, Bethel...and others?). They most all operate in a similar fashion. Did you research your comment: "Baker is by far the most expensive school in the State of Kansas." I have not, but I would be suprised if most all of these schools are not in the same boat in terms of financial arrangements. And again, many BU students are paying for their college education a similar amount to what they would be paying at a larger public university.

As for your question about scholarship money for wrestling, I can tell you that students will not get a large financial aid package for being a great wrestler alone. BU (like most small private universities) are able to award the true "student-athlete." The typical BU student has strong academic credentials and qualify for much financial aid (need, scholarships, dual sports, etc.). Or they are just simply wealthy enough to pay the tuition amount.

Baker, like many other schools, tries to base itself on a solid academic foundation, helping students to obtain a great, personalized education. And if a student has aspirations to also achieve great things (national championships, All-American, etc.) in the athletic arena while they are at it, the greater the financial aide package they are likely to be able to earn.

Whoever is hired as the university's first head coach will have to understand this aspect of the recruiting challenge as they build the team towards national titles....like all small college coaches do.

The school has rich history and is a quality institution, and is well worth looking into as a possible college choice for a lot of students, primarily those who want to work hard in school and on the playing field.

I just wanted to provide some helpful data to hopefully avoid any confusion to the Kansas wrestling community, I felt this was important.

The program has only been started because of years and years of work at convincing and persuading. Some people put their necks out and provided strong and bold promises that it will be successful. The program NEEDS your support to help make this happen. Please consider "joining the cause" to help this program soar. This is critical.

GO CATS!

Kit Harris
Baker University, Class of '95
Head Wrestling Coach, Baldwin High School

Vince Nowak

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Husker Fan] #130550 08/05/08 01:29 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Vince;
This is kind of going down a road that can get a little ugly but hey since we are just sort of debating here, I will take that ugly little road. My biggest fear, and one that I see being a bigger and bigger problem, is that wrestling, like Baseball, Tennis, Golf, and so many other sports are going to become sports for the rich and famous. Kit wrote, "The typical BU student has strong academic credentials and qualify for much financial aid (need, scholarships, dual sports, etc.). Or they are just simply wealthy enough to pay the tuition amount". In a perfect world that would happen. I coached and taught in this very imperfect world and I can tell you that kids who are disadvantaged monetarily are working so hard to stay alive that academics sort of suffer. They are smart enough but they are spending most of their energy surviving in poverty. Some of them are tremendous wrestlers. None of them will be going to school at Baker. They also didn't go to Rockhurst, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. James, or a lot of other very wonderful but pricey institutions. They could not afford to pay several thousand dollars for camps, freestyle tourneys, private coaching and all the other advantages that I see more and more kids being able to take advantage of.

I hate to see wrestling become a sport for the affluent but it is headed down that path right now. Now those people who are in that advantaged position will rise up and deny that this rift exists, but I worked for a good deal of my life on the other side of that rift and believe me when I tell you that it is a very wide canyon. Baker is on the wealthy side of that canyon. Nothing wrong with that but it is an obvious fact.

I am glad another school in Kansas is wrestling. I wish it was in a place that could give many kids hope. My fear is that it is not. This is not a right or a wrong, it is simply the way things seem to be going. I am not disparaging Baker. I coached against them for a while and I have much respect for them. See it is an ugly road isn't it. I didn't really want to go down it but hey it is reality.

By the way we used to carry around a "sample award letter" when we recruited too. The fact is very very few kids got award letters that resembled the "sample" that we showed them. There is a reason why schools in the Heart of America and the KCAC are so small. It is not because they are not quality they certainly are. It is because they cost like and Ivy League school.

Last edited by Westfahl; 08/05/08 01:39 PM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130551 08/05/08 01:51 PM
Cokeley Offline
Westfahl,

If you really support giving more opportunities for Kansas wrestlers why do your posts have such a negative and skeptical tone? My mom used to say "Beggars can't be choosers!" In todays world wrestlers are definitlely in the begging category! I applaud Dan Harris' efforts to swim up river and do the opposite of what all of the D1 schools are doing. Who cares if it costs more!? If you want something bad enough you will figure out how to get it whether you come from either side of the canyon. To say that those with lesser economic backgrounds are disadvantaged when it comes to getting a higher educational opportunity is sour grapes! Surely since you have been in this world you know what a family has to complete to get financial aid. Surely you know what a pell grant is and what is available to those "with need" versus those who supposedly have "no need". Wrestling, just like everything else in America, is an equal opportunity sport but sometimes you have to work to make your opportunities!

You should be thankful we have a new program hope that it works out. Who cares where the coach came from or how much it cost to go to school there. Until you start giving your money to Baker I don't think you have a leg to stand on with your critical and skeptical remarks.

Hats off to Dan Harris, Coach May, and Baker University.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Cokeley] #130553 08/05/08 02:13 PM
K
klintdeere Offline
K
Getting ready to send my first born to college and to wrestle, i cannot say that $ was not a HUGE factor in the schools we considered.

We had to strike some sort of balance and found an outstanding ACADEMIC scholarship opportunity in New Mexico Highlands that covers his tutition expenses. Kansas may want to look in to how NM sets up their lottery and ZIA scholarships there, they have ample opportunities for their college bound students to get a leg up. The school has comparable issues with Fort Hays with the isolation of the area and they are making strides to enhance their accomodations, focus on winning programs.

Had money not been an object he would have no doubt followed his former summer and freestyle coach Beau Vest to Dana College or gone to York with former Kansan and Topeka Terminator Greg Smith. We qualify for ample financial aid, but a loan debt close to 50-100,000, was not something we could afford to be saddled with. He may decide that may be what he is comfortable with in future and he may end up one of those places or even Baker after a year in the wilds of New Mexico.

I am glad that Baker has come through, i personally helped raise some funds for the program at the state freestyle tournament and will support their program and growth.

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: klintdeere] #130557 08/05/08 03:51 PM
B
Brian K. Patton Offline
B
My daughter went to Baker on a cheerleading scholarship's(about what you will get for wrestling) and it was still alot of money when she got done. Baker work hard to help find extra money for you! she love her time there and it a great school and well taking care of.

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Bobby Bovaird] #130558 08/05/08 03:53 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The state funded 4 year institutions have not stepped up and I know of 2 Big 12 schools (who have been in the black financially) that could do it if they had the kids of the state in mind. But they do not have the kids in mind - instead they have huge salaries, pensions plans, car allowances, travel budgets of the select few. I am convinced that we need some sort of media coverage (TV, newspaper, internet) interviewing some of the fat cats - AD's, Presidents, etc. We need to reach the Kansas Board of Regents, Senators, Congressmen and Congresswomen, Governor, and other politicians and put pressure on the select few decision makers affecting our kids future. There has been a nice proposal and slide show put together for hopes of presenting it to Administartors of the Kansas State institutions. They will not give the group of volunteers and taxpayers the time of day to even review our efforts. This is not acceptable in my mind since the ground/land and the buildings they work in have been paid for by current, past and future residents and businesses of the state of Kansas. The Junior Colleges and Fort Hays are excellent opportunities - but they do not fill all of the Demand. That is evident by kids that have left the state for their opportunity.

Last edited by smokeycabin; 08/05/08 05:00 PM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: smokeycabin] #130560 08/05/08 04:53 PM
parkwayred Offline
This is the most logical reply to this entire thread! The post secondary "education" system is broken! I know because I got the three kids in college!

I’m not very smart… but I can lift heavy things!
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: parkwayred] #130563 08/05/08 07:11 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Wow I don't quite know what to reply to first so I will just say this in general. It is difficult to talk about money and opportunity to people who have it or are around it. None of my recent posts were in response to the coaching change. Will, we were talking about money there not the coach. That ended a while ago. It seems to me that when you start to talk about where wrestling is going in terms of advantaged kids verses disadvantaged kids people start to tell you that you are being negative. It would be a lot more positive if we just wouldn't ever mention it. The problem with that is, those kids don't go away. True you won't see them at Baker or St. James or St. Thomas, but they will still be there and hopefully some "negative" people will think about them and try to find some opportunities for them also. We were just having a conversation here fellas. If it makes you mad well so be it. Baker didn't cause the problem, never said they did. If they do well thats just great. That really wasn't what I was talking about. But you probably know that.

By the way Will, those kids that I was talking about don't want to be "beggars" but they would like to be "choosers". Hope those aren't mutually exclusive. Wait lol I hope they are.... maybe.

Last edited by Westfahl; 08/05/08 07:20 PM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130568 08/05/08 11:22 PM
T
tbau Offline
T
I have to agree with westfahl, Not many kids will be able to afford Baker. The financial aid letter had pell grant and other government grants listed which basically just goes to the poor. A middle class family would have to take out a huge amount of loans to send their kid to Baker. I think Baker will get the wealthier kids whose parents can afford to foot the bill and the kids who qualify for all of the grants and financial aid. Most middle class families will not be able to afford it even with academic and athletic scholorships. The financial aid letter had students taking out $7,000 in loans per year and this still came up $3ooo-$4000 short.Once the federal grants to low income students are removed it would be over $5000 short. I just think that there are a lot more affordable options out there that doesn't saddle kids with $50,000 worth of loans once they graduate. I think it's great that Kansas has added another 4year wrestling school, I just don't think the majority of the kids will benefit from it.

Last edited by tbau; 08/06/08 03:35 AM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: tbau] #130571 08/06/08 12:14 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
tbau, I looked over their rosters for football, basketball and cross country. I have to believe there are quite a few athletes from middle class families on those rosters. I also believe there have been quite a few poor and middle class athletes at Baker University over the years. I would encourage wrestlers no matter what your economic situation is to give Baker University a chance and see what type of financial package that Baker University is able to put together for you and then to compare it to what is available to you at other institutions.

Coach Westphal, I hear what you are saying about the potential of wrestling becoming an elitist sport. Unfortunately a lot of sports are becoming that way with all the one sport year around specialization that occurs today in sports. Unfortunately wrestling at the youth level seems to require more time and travel even at the early stages than other sports. We all know that travel costs are high. This makes it difficult for wrestlers from poor and even middle class families. Many wrestlers and families can't afford to spend a good portion of time and resources traveling to summer freestyle/greco competitions that help a wrestler progress in the sport. Many of these young wrestlers need to spend their time and energy working jobs during the summer. Like Will said though if an athlete wants it bad enough, they still seem to find a way to succeed. I do agree though it is becoming more difficult to succeed in this environment for an athlete from a poorer family. That is true for about all sports anymore. All that being said, I don't think it has anything to do with this opportunity being offered by Baker University or the topic of Jimmy May being named its first coach. In fact I believe this new program will give some more opportunity for kids who otherwise might not be able to afford it to both go to school and wrestle in college.

Vince Nowak

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Husker Fan] #130573 08/06/08 12:40 PM
Cokeley Offline
Life is about choices. Some parents will choose their kids over themselves, some will not. Some kids will choose basketball. Some will choose band. Today there are more choices than ever before! Some kids choose to be mediocre and a few choose to excel. It is no different than life. Some adults choose college some choose a job. But it is a choice. There are scholarships, grants, loans, part time jobs, etc. There are millions of untapped dollars. If you choose college whether it is at Baker, Ft. Hays, Johnson County, or KU you can find a way. The downside to every choice is that there is a sacrifice. Those who choose college athletics will have to work harder than those who do not just like those who do not. The sacrifices may seem unfair or even enormous but in my opinion the American Dream is still alive and well.

As far as elitist are concerned. I do not consider our family as such. The most money my father ever made in one year was $15,000! I paid my own way through Ft. Hays and I have worked my tail off since graduating. I choose to spend my money on wrestling with my boys. I don't spend it on alcohol, cigarettes, gambling, drugs, or other vices. We sacrifice vacation time to go to wrestling events and I always try to share these experiences with as many other wrestlers as possible. I lost count of the number of 15 passenger vans we have rented, the number of hotel rooms we have crammed five boys into, and the number of matches I have watched over these past eleven years. If you want something bad enough you just figure out a way to make it happen!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coac [Re: Husker Fan] #130574 08/06/08 01:14 PM
K
Kit Harris Offline
K
I've been wanting to respond to some comments, but I haven't been able to find the time lately, I have a quick minute, I will try to brief but am not good at that! I know long posts are hard to read.

There are PLENTY of BU students who are middle class, I know this firsthand, I have been around the school since 1982. It is MOST DEFINITELY NOT a school for the rich and rich alone! If you were around the place much, you would laugh at that thought! Many down to earth, real middle class folk walking around! It is a GREAT place!

"Not many will benefit??"
If there are 25-35 (or more?) wrestlers on BU's roster then a good number of kids are having the opportunity to be able to get a good education and continue their wrestling careers...that is a good thing. Add that number of kids up over the years and a lot are benefitting. Most importantly, it is all about EDUCATION. Kids are getting degrees and advancing to the careers of their choice! Kids have to take care of business in the classroom at Baker (like any school) or they won't cut it.

"Why enrollment is low??"
The enrollment numbers are around 1,000 (+/- 200) at most of these small private schools because of several reasons: #1, the school is not for everyone (some kids want bigger schools, some kids don't qualify for the financial aide package to make it feasible, and MOSTLY the school is for kids who have taken care of business in the classroom). Reason #2, there are SO MANY of these schools not only in Kansas, but throughout the entire Midwest. Why is this? I think it's probably related to the fact that the Midwest is FULL of that particular demographic = moderate income, hard-working folk. Think about it, wouldn't these schools fold if that wasn't the case???? I was told by a parent yesterday that they are paying $12,000 to send their child to KU and that many public school students are paying from $12,000 to $15,000/year. If small private schools cost $25,000, much of that difference is often made up with financial aide/scholarships. This is not the case for everybody, as I have admitted, but it is the case for many. If there were fewer of these schools then enrollments would be higher. Hopefully that responds to that question.

"Putting money on somebody's coffers??"
Sorry, not the motive for starting the program! Whose "coffers"? Pockets, salaries? That strikes a nerve, have to respond. Anybody who knows (like myself, my parents have worked at Baker since 1982), most employees at schools such as BU are paid less than public school employees in similar positions (college admin salary is usually lower than public school admin pay, many professors are paid less than public school teachers, etc.) Nobody is getting rich as a BU employee, as a matter of fact, much less so than public school teachers. Not sure what coffers are being referred to, but small schools need enrollment to survive, and adding sports can be a great way to boost numbers. I grew up with both parents working as BU employees, and they have stayed put b/c they have given their heart/souls to the place, they love it, not b/c they were/are making much money. My mom started as a tutor in Academic Skills Center and now has a PhD and is Dean of Education Department, she is an amazing person, definitely one my heroes, very wise and full of integrity...I am getting sidetracked, as usual.

And as for original point of the thread started by Mr. Westfahl...Coach May being hired. He was determined the top choice out of a pool of very good applicants. The hiring decision made sense to me. I have always tried my hardest to be a proud and contributive member of the KANSAS WRESTLING community, but if it means I have to take on a "no outsiders" attitude, then you can count me out.

I, for one, am VERY excited to welcome Coach May to the Midwest, to Kansas, and to Baldwin City. He has been great to get to know and I like his enthusiasm and expertise. When I first read this thread, I made sure to call him and let him know not all Kansans would be as unwelcoming. I assured him he would come across many nice and supportive people in his time here. He has been gracious about it all, he continues to come across to me as a very good person. And I am excited to help him in any way I can! I am also very proud of my dad for the work/efforts he has put toward this, nobody knows this more than I do and I am going to defend him as his VERY PROUD son as often as I need to for any professional decision he makes or is involved in, especially when it was a sound one such as this. Again, there were some GREAT applicants, which means many unhappy parties, unfortunately. But Coach May is a very impressive person and I congratulate him for winning the job.

I knew whoever was first coach had a challenging task. However, it is frustrating Mr. Westfahl to see that you want to add to that struggle and are determined to put a lot of time/effort to sabotage the efforts of BU/Coach May because you don't like the hiring decision (you stated that you would support the program NONE and you have put continual effort towards publicly posted criticism).

I often say stupid and/or confusing things that don't make sense, that is why I usually try to have things like this proofread, but I don't have time in this instance. So I apologize in advance if I am incorrect anywhere or say anything out of line, don't want to do that. I will try to be sure to edit thread if I come across any misinformation (please help with this readers). I am in hurry and typing fast, have to get back to my kids who are patiently waiting for me in other room, I hate when I keep them waiting on me.

Let me know if I can help answer any questions or do anything else. I AM EXCITED ABOUT NEW COLLEGE WRESTLING PROGRAM IN KANSAS! THIS IS AN EXCITING TIME!

GO WILDCATS!

GO KANSAS!

Kit Harris
Baldwin City USA (and GO BULLDOGS, too!)

Last edited by Kit Harris; 08/07/08 05:12 PM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Kit Harris] #130575 08/06/08 01:52 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Kit I was just stating an opinion. Just to set the record straight, I only spent about four minutes total on this deal and really don't give it any thought until I see what you guys write and then I write back. It's more like a conversation than some life long vendetta. I think everybody ought to take a deep breath and realize that what any of us think really isn't as important as we think it is. Believe me I learned that long ago. If you guys think it matters what I think well........ I am the guy that knows it doesn't. Not everyone in this world has to agree with you though and I certainly reserve that right for myself and for all of you. Do I back Kansas guys, you bet I do. Do I think wrestling is going toward the elite and privledged, I sure do. I am not ashamed of either of those two positions I just can't figure out why taking them offends you all so much. Hey that upped me to six minutes total on this whole deal. Not really a quest is it?

As far as all that wrestling community stuff, I have sort of been a part of that for about forty years or so, so I kind of understand that more than you might think Kit. One thing I know about it after all that time is that sometimes it gets to be a stuffy little community and a little conversation is a good thing when that happens. There is room in that community for more than one way of thinking and when there isn't, some kids begin to be left out. Talking is not always a bad thing and other points of view keep us thinking. Not everyone will agree with you but that's ok. I am done with this though, that was the last thought in the "continual whatever". Later fellas.

Last edited by Westfahl; 08/06/08 02:13 PM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130576 08/06/08 02:30 PM
C
Captain Offline
C
I find it most interesting that a post on Coach May has boiled down the economics of wrestling. I say that because much of the success the Coach May experienced at Eldorado High School was forged with students/wrestlers of low income families. Eldorado High School is not a school of rich kids. In fact many of the students come from the trailer parks of East Las Vegas and the ghettos of North Las Vegas (maybe why they are so tough?). Working with disadvantaged youth/young adults is Coach May's forte, and something that I believe he will continue to do at Baker. Beyond being an excellent wrestling coach, he has sought to make a difference in the lives of young people, especially those who need wrestling and the values that it instills most.

Yes, the college game, especially at a private institution such as Baker, is a different wrestling match than at the high school level. But one who appreciates providing opportunities to those who are not afforded them is likely to continue in that tradition. No, it won't be easy, but starting a program from scratch at any level is an arduous task. Which is why I believe Dan Harris commendably brought in Coach May to see it to this program to fruition. Get your 'dynasty' tags ready, Baker will be a force! Go wildcats!!

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130577 08/06/08 02:39 PM
K
Kit Harris Offline
K
Mr. Westfahl,

Your "just stating an opinion" was public criticism. I think that is very disrespectful. You started this thread with public criticism of somebody who has done no moral wrong and then turn around and ask "why does that offend us so much." I think others were just discussing the issue with you, but yes, I was offended. It involved my father, you publicly criticized him and I know how hard he has worked to make this program a reality in a very tough situation at Baker University. He is a good person and not deserving of that. Your criticism was all because the hired coach was not from your favorite state. Friendships and loyalties don't have to be bound by a state border, do they? Makes me want to make sure I never become that discriminatory. Yes, I have chosen to disagree with you and that part is no problem. It is the public criticism approach that you took from the beginning that I can not support. You may be communicating "conversationally" now, but in the beginning you took on a stance of public and critical attack.

I don't care how many "minutes" you put into this, I feel your actions (whether they took six minutes or six days) to be disrespectful to somebody who didn't deserve it and to a university I care a lot about, and I chose to stand up and speak out.

I commend and respect your 40 years of committment to wrestling and most importantly as an educator.

Hopefully, Coach May can now be embraced as a "Kansas guy" because he has accepted a coaching position to help advance wrestling in our state. He certainly has expressed a strong interest in getting to know as many people as he can in the state in a positive way! I think all will like him, and when it comes to wrestling, he certainly knows what he is doing. Best of luck to our new KANSAS GUY and GO WILDCATS!

Kit Harris

Last edited by Kit Harris; 08/07/08 01:11 AM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Kit Harris] #130578 08/06/08 04:38 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Quote:
I AM EXCITED ABOUT NEW COLLEGE WRESTLING PROGRAM IN KANSAS! THIS IS AN EXCITING TIME!

GO WILDCATS!

GO KANSAS!

Kit Harris

I absolutely agree!

Quote:
Get your 'dynasty' tags ready, Baker will be a force! Go wildcats!! quote from Captain

I would love to see it. That is what I think we are all hoping for.

Vince Nowak

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Husker Fan] #130579 08/06/08 05:52 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Kit I was going to let this drop but you just keep going here. Just a couple of points. I never said a word about your father. I didn't know or care that your father worked for Baker. I have nothing against Baker perse, I was only commenting on the practice schools have of going far and wide for coaches when there are very good coaches right here looking for work. You are making this a personal deal which matters none at all to me except that it is not and was not ever meant to be that at all. I think I said several times how much I thought of Baker and all of those schools. My thoughts were more in support of Kansas young talented people rather than some personal deal. You have an emotional attachment to Baker, thats ok. I don't. You completely misunderstood what I was trying to say either because of that emotion or because I didn't communicate it right but please don't put words in my mouth. I never and will never say anything bad about your dad. It is in support of Kansas guys that I made that comment. If you choose to make it something else then power to you. I don't care and I don't get offended easily. Notice I didn't say anything bad about anybody here. Just wanted to be clear on that.

By the way when colleges hire people it is in the public forum. That is the price you pay for playing in the game. Your dad knows that, we've all taken it before. Nobody has to tell me that Baker is quality. I have been beaten by them many times in my life. Never said they weren't but I don't have to like everything everyone does. They don't care what I like nor should they. I will take care of that for myself. Your definition of respect is yours. You can deal with that yourself.

Last edited by Westfahl; 08/06/08 05:58 PM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130585 08/06/08 06:59 PM
Mike Furches Offline
I commented on this thread earlier and will reiterate my daughter, by choice went to a private Kansas College, Southwestern, and we were by no means “well off”. I attended and graduated from Tabor College, at the time prior to college, was homeless, lived in a YMCA Homeless Shelter for 2 years, and had no parental support other than $168 a month I received from my fathers’ death. I got a total of $5 from my grandmother while in college over 5 years. My point simply this, any student that wants to go to college, even a private NAIA school can find a way to do so. Way to go Baker and I personally wish the school the best of luck in the future and I also know that kids that are willing to work hard, search for the money, and do what is necessary, can attend Baker if they choose.

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130588 08/06/08 07:11 PM
Gary Seibel Offline
Thought it was time to put in my 2 cents.

I for one am pleased to see another post-secondary wrestling opportunity in Kansas. Coach May has contacted me to touch base and introduce himself and I find this very refreshing since he is the ONLY coach at a 4 year Kansas school to do so during my CAREER and his team is still in the planning stages. Westfahl, good coaches come from a lot of places.

Thought #2:

I think it highly unlikely we will ever convince KU or KSU to add wrestling. In my opinion we should turn our attention to WSU for a DI program and look to restore DII programs at Pitt & Emporia to complement the program at FHSU. Programs don't have to be DI to be good for wrestling. Look north to UNK and UNO.

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Gary Seibel] #130590 08/06/08 07:24 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
I am well aware of the geological goodness of coaches but thanks for that anyway lol.

Glad you like him hope he does well. I agree that the DII programs are the answer. That was one of my original thoughts that I alluded to. When they come up I hope that they pursue Roberson, Johnston, Luedke, Akin and others who have the spurs to do the job and who have name in the area. That is my hope, you know what happens to hope lol. Have a good day.

Last edited by Westfahl; 08/06/08 07:31 PM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Westfahl] #130593 08/06/08 11:04 PM
K
Kit Harris Offline
K
Randy, sorry to drag on but I sent you PM, wanted to offer some final thoughts on the discussion. Please check when you have a chance.

=====

Alright, on to something new and a cool fact many may not know. As a JH kid, I was helping out with BU FB team in early 80's as a ballboy and whatnot while my Dad was O-line coach. The 1986 BU team made the national finals, losing in title game. The TE on that team was young man named Mike McCarthy, go turn on ESPN to see what he is up to now!

Mike is great guy, many may not know he is BU alum. He came back to town last October during Packers off week to be elected to BU HOF, still a very down to earth guy. Sat on my Dad's porch with former teammates telling old war stories and having great time.

He is a great success story, finished at Baker, coached as GA at Ft. Hays St., then on to other college asst jobs. Once even worked nights on toll booth in PA while volunteer asst for Paul Hackett at Pitt, then brought to Chiefs and was QB coach during Joe Montana's time. Then one thing led to another (Saints, 49ers...) and then led Packers to NFC title game last year, named NFL Coach of the Year by some organizations.

From Baldwin City to Vince Lombardi's desk, he is great success story of climbing the ladder and proving that people can make it big from small places. He still stays in contact with university as often as he is able to, amazing to think about as busy as he must be.

Just a fun fact wanted to share.

A whole lot of Packers fans now in Baldwin City!

Regards,
Kit Harris

Last edited by Kit Harris; 08/07/08 12:28 AM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Kit Harris] #130594 08/06/08 11:16 PM
K
Kit Harris Offline
K
Wasn't my original intention of the post above but.....

To add to the story, as Coach McCarthy went from Arizona to Kansas to Pennsylvania to Missouri to Louisiana to California to Wisconsin, etc....I bet he sure is glad that nobody along the way ever said "don't hire him, he is from out of state."

Last edited by Kit Harris; 08/07/08 01:08 AM.
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Kit Harris] #130607 08/08/08 11:05 AM
parkwayred Offline
Originally Posted By: Kit Harris

A whole lot of Packers fans now in Baldwin City!

I'm glad there is a bunch of Packer fans in Baldwin. Not a whole lot left in Green Bay!

I’m not very smart… but I can lift heavy things!
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: Chief Renegade] #130630 08/09/08 01:38 PM
O
OnurFeet Offline
O
Did new head coach Jimmy May ever All-American? I guess I didn't look right.

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: OnurFeet] #130632 08/09/08 02:08 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: onurfeet
Did new head coach Jimmy May ever All-American? I guess I didn't look right.

From the Press Release announcing the hiring of Coach May:

"May is a cum laude graduate from the University of Central Missouri and earned his master’s degree from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. While competing in wrestling at UCM, he was a two-time NCAA All-American wrestler and a member of the UCM Wrestling Hall-of-Fame."

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: RichardDSalyer] #130634 08/09/08 03:00 PM
O
OnurFeet Offline
O
Oh

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: OnurFeet] #130638 08/09/08 06:28 PM
R
ReadnReact Offline
R
Would there be any former wrestlers already attending or planning to attend Baker? Maybe some multi-sport athletes that chose another sport?

Re: Baker University - hired Jimmy May first coach [Re: ReadnReact] #130648 08/10/08 04:40 AM
Paratroop Offline
I say sweet and am exicted for Baker and those who will be wrestling and coaching for Baker! I say welcome to Kansas Coach May! Can't wait to get my tickets and support them!!!!!!!!!

B. Star
Lawrence, KS
Sunflower Kids Wrestling Club
"Rivals on the mat, friends in life"
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 186 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)