Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19
Re: The Fargo Report 2008 [Re: M. Mathews] #130457 07/29/08 01:49 PM
S
shawnbudke Offline
S
This is going to be a bit long but since the door is opened, here's my 2 cents......

I also come from Montana and agree with what Mike said. I submit that the biggest difference is that our kids season was only 3 months long (Jan to March) and we wrestled freestyle, not folkstyle in kids club.

Given the way things are here in KS, I offer these thoughts....

1. I am not sure if I agree with the dedication on the kids or coaches comments. I think we have bunch of people dedicated to the sport of wrestling. I think the season my be too long. We start practice in November and go to the end of March (that's folkstyle), then you transition into freestyle/greco from Apr to July, throw in a camp or two during the summer, now start pre-season training (Aug to Oct) for those not playing football, etc. Do you need to do this to AA at Fargo.....absolutely. The challenge becomes time and resources for coaches and parents. I think if the folkstyle season for kids were shorter, then more would do freestyle and greco. This in turn would help their experience base when they get to be Cadets.

2. I would like to see more emphasis put on a "grassroots" training program for coaches that focuses on freestyle and greco. One of the reasons we don't see the # of clubs offering freestyle/greco is because we lack experience for coaching.

Proposed Solution: Establish a "Train the Trainer" type program. This involves establishing a baseline of freestyle and greco technique that we want all the kids to know. Get a group of experienced coaches and develop teams of trainers that can teach other coaches this technique and how to coach it at practices. Develop a teaching methodology that can be taught to these new coaches. These teaching teams then could go to clubs that want to start or improve thier freestyle/greco programs. The focus would be on training coaches. We could leave them with practice plans and dvd's so they can review and refresh once the clinic is over.
I think this would help train the coaches and grow the freestyle/greco training base in our state.

2. Establish regional freestyle/greco training sites. This would allow us to share coaches and the workload. This would also allow us to bring in upper level athletes to offer clinics. I think bringing in Lindsay Durlacher was an awesome idea. It would be great to be able to offer a 3-5 day freestyle/greco clinic and bring in that level of instruction. We are spoiled in NE KS because we have one of the best (Erik Akin) that helps a lot of the kids in this geographic area.

This is a lot of rambling but if we really want to improve our freestlyle/greco then there are 2 issues we must resolve....

1. Length of folkstyle season. Too long, too many resources for coaches, kids and parents in order to then do freestyle.

2. Improve freestyle/greco coaching base so more clubs feel comfortable offering freestyle/greco.

Just my thoughts.

Shawn Budke

Re: The Fargo Report 2008 [Re: shawnbudke] #130474 07/30/08 03:20 AM
usawks1 Offline
As for #2 ... in the past several years, we have tried to offer USAW Silver College in Kansas at the Southern Plains camp. All three times it failed miserably due to a lack of numbers.

Also twice, I think, at the Southern Plains camp we did have a coaches camp. I believe the most he ever had in those offerings was five!

Perhaps Kansas will be best known as a Folkstyle state! Perhaps our coaches do not see the benefit in Summer wrestling!

... and perhaps that is a testament of the why I don't see #1 ever happening!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: The Fargo Report 2008 [Re: usawks1] #130477 07/30/08 01:26 PM
R
rjohnson Offline
R
Perhaps Kansas will be best known as a Folkstyle state! Perhaps our coaches do not see the benefit in Summer wrestling!

For those who desire taking their wrestling to the next level - Do college coaches see the benifit in Summer Programs?

Will college coaches also somewhat favor a kid that is somewhat average in folkstyle, but has a good freestyle / Greco back ground over say someone who has none at all?

What we run into with the Summer program is it seems we are loaded with the lighter weights and for most of the kids 160lb and above practice partners are few and far between, and they are getting most of their live full blown competition is at the camps or the tournaments.

RJohnson

Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19

Moderated by  Coach T.Gonzales 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 130 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)